• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedIC86

Billychu said:
I only used the "Easy Mode" screen to overclock because I'm not really knowledgeable about OCing. If I set it to standard mode everything should be basically stock.

Ok let me give you a piece of advice, dont be offended or anything because i dont mean it that way. Load all default settings in the bios.
Then i recommend you to use software overclocking for now (i.e in Windows, with tools like MSI afterburner, if you have an ati use the built in OC etc)

Read a lot online about oc'ing, understand how changing the settigns influence the hardware and in what kind of way. Then after a while when your more knowledged about this subject try to oc in your bios.

Jin34

JoeBoy101 said:
If it were more significant I would consider rearranging the fan, but given that test, and what my temps are running, I don't mind. Seems a bit weird though as, intuitively I figured warm air rising, better to push it out top.

Reading the guys post it seems that the hot air thing might be the actual problem as its pushing air very close to the vid card through the heatsink.

Emitan

MedIC86 said:
Ok let me give you a piece of advice, dont be offended or anything because i dont mean it that way. Load all default settings in the bios.
Then i recommend you to use software overclocking for now (i.e in Windows, with tools like MSI afterburner, if you have an ati use the built in OC etc)

Read a lot online about oc'ing, understand how changing the settigns influence the hardware and in what kind of way. Then after a while when your more knowledged about this subject try to oc in your bios.
I'm not offended at all. I didn't touch anything on the advanced screen other than RAM voltage because I know I'm inexperienced. I'm in college going for a computer science degree, so my knowledge is in software, not hardware.

knitoe

JoeBoy101 said:
If it were more significant I would consider rearranging the fan, but given that test, and what my temps are running, I don't mind. Seems a bit weird though as, intuitively I figured warm air rising, better to push it out top.
If set vertically, higher temp could be because hot air coming from video card, and/or since the video card is close, less air flow.

whats the cheapest Heatsink with a bracket mount my heat sink for my Q6600 used the pegs, and i want to get a new one before i go and throw it in an HTPC or SErver or mame cabinet.

Looks like something around 25-30 is the lowest it goes.

MedIC86

Billychu said:
I'm not offended at all. I didn't touch anything on the advanced screen other than RAM voltage because I know I'm inexperienced. I'm in college going for a computer science degree, so my knowledge is in software, not hardware.

Yes, well you only need to touch the voltage if you notice the pc wont boot. upping the voltage itselfs wont do anything for speed (only changing the timings or mem speed). Ocing your CPU is much more usefull anyway. But like i said try the OC software, they load the oc settings in windows. This way you can try out some things without your pc not booting etc.

n0n44m

mclaren777 said:
That's entirely possible.

What say you, GAF?

either turn the fan around or put it on the other side

although push is preferred to pull if you use a single fan, I honestly can't imagine the difference will be more than a couple of degrees ... but make sure the airflow through the case has a clear path => with this current setup, you have the cpu fan sucking air from the back and exhausting it towards to front, whereas the back fan is trying to eject the same air out the back ...

general rule is you want air going from the front through to the back, and from the bottom through the top

my setup has intake in the lower and upper front (below DVD drive) , and outtakes at the back and top (and sidepanel for GPU heat)

(by the way my Mugen 2 front fan is sticking out almost 2 centimeters above the heatsink as the bottom of that fan is right against my quite large Corsair Vengeance memory...)

mclaren777

ASUS BIOS Updates

P8P67 Deluxe and Pro
- Removes full reset at POST (double post) on cold boot or auto overclocking routine.
- Improved OC performance using Multipliers or Auto Overclocking
- Improved BCLK and DRAM OC capabilities when enabling the "Internal PLL Overvoltage" option in BIOS.
- Minor Bug Fixes

Maximus IV Extreme
- Improved BCLK and DRAM OC capabilities when enabling the "Internal PLL Overvoltage" option in BIOS.
- Minor Bug Fixes
- Firmware Upgrade of iROG Chipset

Link

n0n44m

mclaren777 said:
ASUS BIOS Updates

P8P67 Deluxe and Pro
- Removes full reset at POST (double post) on cold boot or auto overclocking routine.
- Minor Bug Fixes

Maximus IV Extreme
- Minor Bug Fixes

Link

interesting =] but err

Forgive me for using an outside service as we do not have these BIOS' uploaded to our FTP yet, but I wanted to make sure they were available ASAP

I'll let someone else try first lol

[maybe they finally fixed that AI suite software... can't tell for now as their FTP maxes out at a whopping 20 kb/s D: ]

Entropia

No One Remembers
Hey guys, two questions:

1) I currently have am AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor (3.4 GHz), 4GB RAM and an eVGA 880 GTS... while playing WoW my framerate isn't really consistent and I get a few drops to ~20 or so. Is my video card bottlenecking the system? What's the current card that provides the best performance for $150-$200?

2) Is there a utility that can let me know which MoBo I have? When I moved I threw out the box, all I know is that I have an Asus.

Prodigal

Banned
Any of you guys ever run into the BSOD with stop error 0×0000000A on Win 7 before? I've been getting it a lot after this build and from what I've reading it sounds exclusive to the OS.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
mclaren777 said:
Do you have any clearance issues with your RAM? I just found this picture on Google...

1we3El.jpg

Using ripjaws and i have like 2-5mm worth of space so it just fits and doesn't touch :)

You have to take the ram out to fit it like that then put ram back in. It looks like they may touch but they won't. In the end it will depend on the mobo though, Most likely will work.

knitoe

mclaren777 said:
ASUS BIOS Updates

P8P67 Deluxe and Pro
- Minor Bug Fixes

Maximus IV Extreme
- Minor Bug Fixes

Link
Update bios on my Deluxe and got the supposedly fix boot bug. Had to use the AMP > PCie trick to correct it. I also notice another bug in that manually selecting multi on individual cores gets reset to one for all on reboot.

derder

JXrWV.png

Ok GAF, I'm a nerd.

I used the newest set of benchmarks from anandtech and am making a few assumptions here. I'm using the cheapest prices (after coupon) at newegg for the prices. I'm now deciding between the 5870 and the 6870.

My questions are:
Does the eyefinity in the 6xxx series allow me to use something other than dp?
Are there any other differences that should prevent me with going with the 5870?

Raistlin

As some of you are aware, the Radeon HD 6950 can have its BIOS flashed to basically make it a 6970. All 1536 shaders available, and you can overclock to the same 880 MHz frequency (memory maxes a bit lower than the 6970, but it's close). The problem? While it works on most, some don't play nice. You then have to re-flash, potentially un-brick, etc. Plus you have to contend with the added heat that the card's cooling wasn't necessarily designed to support.

Enter the Powercolor HD 6950 PCS++

This unit takes Powercolor's custom cooling (dual 92mm fans along with heat pipes - the latter may not be obvious from the picture) to lower temps and noise, and then adds a dual mode BIOS. It has both the standard and 6970/custom BIOS built-in ... and you can manually switch between them :D

Fucking HOT!

TUL Corporation today announced the addition of the HD 6950 series cards to its PowerColor brand of graphics cards. The PowerColor PCS++ HD 6950 card comes with a unique feature; it has a dual mode BIOS setting that allows unlocking of the shaders for extra performance.

As one of the fastest cards to come out of the AMD lineup, the Radeon HD 6950 GPU has received a lot of attention. Various OEM partners have come out with their customized versions of the card to cater to the mainstream and enthusiast segments. The PowerColor PCS++ HD 6950 is the latest addition to this list, though with an interesting difference.

TUL has factory overclocked the GPU to 880MHz core speed and 1250MHz memory speed. To ensure stability at these higher speeds, the PCS++ HD 6950 has been given a dual mode BIOS that bumps up performance when needed in extreme conditions. There is also an embedded back up setting provided in the card so that it continues delivering extreme performance at all times.

Depending on requirements, gamers have the option to manually switch between these different settings. “This product is like nothing else on the market with its dual mode setting design,” said Ted Chen, CEO of TUL Corporation. “The PCS++ HD 6950 is an innovative product with all the key features, it should be the solution which can fulfill any gamer’s demand.”

To keep the card cool in such varied performance environments, TUL has equipped the PCS++ HD 6950 with a dual-fan cooler equipped with 92mm fans and a heatsink with a full copper base. While the fans pump in more air over the GPU even at low speeds, the copper base fully covers the GPU and dissipates whatever heat is generated extremely efficiently. The overall effect is one of quietly exceptional cooling.

As has been the tradition with TUL in recent months, the PowerColor PCS++ HD 6950 card has been bundled with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 game to allow gamers to immediately experience the power of their new card.

The card is expected to hit market shelves soon, though pricing details will only become available after it starts shipping.

What a coincidence. I just begin my research, and my future GPU gets announced today!!!

Can't wait for what will effectively be dual Radeon HD-6970 CrossfireX Eyefinity at 5760x1080

wut

:eek:

XenoRaven

So, I've got some extra money to throw around and I've decided that I want to build a PC. This will be my first. Also, I haven't really looked into computer parts since Pentium 4s were just coming out. I don't know what's good, I don't know a lot about the newer technology and am looking for some guidance. I've already ordered a case, monitor, PSU, and a 60GB SSD to put my OS on from that Newegg sale. I'm pretty set on getting an i7, but I'm clueless when it comes to MBs, GPUs, and cooling.

Here's the CPU I want to get (was recommended from a friend).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

Video card I'm looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130595

MB I'm looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131694

Are these good choices? If not, what is? Also, in addition to playing games on this thing, I will also want to get a capture card so I can stream myself playing console games. I'd like to get something that I'm not going to have to replace in awhile, and I may want to add a second video card later. My friend was telling me to look at triple channel memory, but then said he read that it introduces more latency than dual channel and that he was going to look into it. He never got back to me and I really don't know what he was talking about. Maybe someone here can help enlighten me. I will need help looking at cooling systems too. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.

BloodySinner said:
Holy shit!

TigerDirect.ca has a 768mb Galaxy Gefore GTX 460 going for $109 right now. Should I bite, GAF?
Not the best ram but for just over 100 bucks I say yes, rather damn cheap for a 460.

Veal

Entropia said:
Hey guys, two questions:

1) I currently have am AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor (3.4 GHz), 4GB RAM and an eVGA 880 GTS... while playing WoW my framerate isn't really consistent and I get a few drops to ~20 or so. Is my video card bottlenecking the system? What's the current card that provides the best performance for $150-$200?

2) Is there a utility that can let me know which MoBo I have? When I moved I threw out the box, all I know is that I have an Asus.
I'm fairly new but I have essentially the same proc (X4 970) and I usually get a constant 60+ with WoW. I'd say it's your video card. I'm running a 6870 and you can probably find something like that (6850) or the 460 GTX at that price.

I also use my comp for streaming and capturing, Xenoraven. It's important to note that your capture card is separate from your video card. I don't know if you know that or not, but your post read like you thought they are the same.

Do you plan on overclocking? Overclocking that CPU is braindead simple and can give you some very significant performance boosts, especially in streaming/capturing video. If you do plan on overclocking, you want to get a P67 motherboard like a Gigabyte P67a-UD3 or UD4, etc. or Asus P8P67 Evo/Pro. You cannot overclock on H67 motherboards.

For video cards, an unlocked HD6950 (300$), GTX570 (350-360$) or HD6970 (370-380$) will last you for several years comfortably. I list all 3 because you didn't really specify a budget and you may or may not be comfortable with the unlock process.

You don't want triple channel RAM, you want a dual channel DDR3 kit. I use 8GB of G.Skill Ripjaws (not Ripjaws X) and that cost 90$. 4GB is still a very usable amount of RAM and won't cause any issues if you want to save some cash there.

Do you plan on capturing PS3 or 360 or both? Also, do you use HDMI or Component? I use an AverTV HD DVR (they were about 80$ at one point, they're about 100$ now) which captures HD signals up to 1080i. It also captures HDMI even from a PS3 with some finagling. With an overclocked 2500k, I stream at 720p/60fps. Other options include the Hauppauge HD PVR (about 180-200) and the Blackmagic Intensity Pro (Also about 180-200).

Any decent aftermarket cooler is enough for the 2600k. The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ gets a lot of love around these parts and is around 30$, I believe. That'll allow you to overclock a decent bit and still keep the CPU at a decent temperature.

Veal

Raistlin said:
As some of you are aware, the Radeon HD 6950 can have its BIOS flashed to basically make it a 6970. All 1536 shaders available, and you can overclock to the same 880 MHz frequency (memory maxes a bit lower than the 6970, but it's close). The problem? While it works on most, some don't play nice. You then have to re-flash, potentially un-brick, etc. Plus you have to contend with the added heat that the card's cooling wasn't necessarily designed to support.

Enter the Powercolor HD 6950 PCS++

This unit takes Powercolor's custom cooling (dual 92mm fans along with heat pipes - the latter may not be obvious from the picture) to lower temps and noise, and then adds a dual mode BIOS. It has both the standard and 6970/custom BIOS built-in ... and you can manually switch between them :D

Fucking HOT!

What a coincidence. I just begin my research, and my future GPU gets announced today!!!

Can't wait for what will effectively be dual Radeon HD-6970 CrossfireX Eyefinity at 5760x1080

wut

:eek:
Shit that is TENDER

knitoe

XenoRaven said:
So, I've got some extra money to throw around and I've decided that I want to build a PC. This will be my first. Also, I haven't really looked into computer parts since Pentium 4s were just coming out. I don't know what's good, I don't know a lot about the newer technology and am looking for some guidance. I've already ordered a case, monitor, PSU, and a 60GB SSD to put my OS on from that Newegg sale. I'm pretty set on getting an i7, but I'm clueless when it comes to MBs, GPUs, and cooling.

Here's the CPU I want to get (was recommended from a friend).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

Video card I'm looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130595

MB I'm looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131694

Are these good choices? If not, what is? Also, in addition to playing games on this thing, I will also want to get a capture card so I can stream myself playing console games. I'd like to get something that I'm not going to have to replace in awhile, and I may want to add a second video card later. My friend was telling me to look at triple channel memory, but then said he read that it introduces more latency than dual channel and that he was going to look into it. He never got back to me and I really don't know what he was talking about. Maybe someone here can help enlighten me. I will need help looking at cooling systems too. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.
I went with XFX Radeon 6970 video card for same price $379. As for ram, 2600K Sand Bridge are dual channel. Get a 2X4GB at 1.5V. Many people here, including myself, went with Cooler Master 212+ cooler. Would also be good idea to buy a second fan for push / pull.

Kalnos

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Do you plan on capturing PS3 or 360 or both? Also, do you use HDMI or Component? I use an AverTV HD DVR (they were about 80$ at one point, they're about 100$ now) which captures HD signals up to 1080i. It also captures HDMI even from a PS3 with some finagling. With an overclocked 2500k, I stream at 720p/60fps. Other options include the Hauppauge HD PVR (about 180-200) and the Blackmagic Intensity Pro (Also about 180-200).

This is about it for the 'affordable, but worth it' market for capture cards. Though, you could also get a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle, assuming you get a newer motherboard that supports it. The shuttle is external (instead of internal like the intensity) and would allow you to some more video options (480p being a nice one).

MisterNoisy

XenoRaven said:
My friend was telling me to look at triple channel memory, but then said he read that it introduces more latency than dual channel and that he was going to look into it. He never got back to me and I really don't know what he was talking about. Maybe someone here can help enlighten me. I will need help looking at cooling systems too. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.

Your selections are fine, though I'd also look at this or this since I'm a big fan of Gigabyte and MSI.

With P67, you're going to be running dual channel - triple channel is (as far as I know) solely the province of the X58/1366 platform, and you'll be on P67/1155. Fortunately, there's a plethora of good dual-channel kits from Corsair and G.Skill floating around.

As for coolers, it really depends on how you feel about water in your PC - I'm still not inclined to trust even factory-sealed water cooling solutions, but a lot of people swear by the Corsair H70. I'm a fan of 'big air' and have been really happy with the Cooler Master V6's performance and appearance in my current PC - large tower-style air coolers demand a big case to contain them, though.

XenoRaven

Thanks Tekno, yeah I know the capture card is a different piece of hardware. I just mentioned it because if I eventually get a second video card, I'm going to need a MB with enough slots and space to fit all of my crap.

I wasn't planning on overclocking at first, as I am pretty inexperienced and scared of blowing up a $300 piece of equipment. But after reading the performance boosts that people were getting out of that CPU and how easy it is to do, I've changed my mind on that.

Budget isn't so much an issue. About $1k of the money I'm putting towards this isn't even coming out of my pocket. So if I can get CPU/GPU/MB all together for @$1k I'll be happy. If I can still get some kickass performance and go under that number, even better. I can use the leftovers for maybe a BRD drive and/or my second hard drive.

I currently have a Hauppauge HD PVR and I like it, but I've run into some limitations with it. But that might also be due to the capture software I'm using. I have a Mac so I'm using EveTV instead of the software that came with it. Anything below 720p doesn't capture currently. Plus it doesn't have an HDMI input. To answer your question, I would like to be able to capture both Component and HDMI.

Thanks a lot for the advice. That's been the most helpful advice I've gotten so far.

EDIT: Ah, I'm slow. Thanks to everyone else too!

Neiteio

Neiteio said:
Wow, thanks for fielding all those questions, Feist. :) I'm going to have some follow-up questions later, but as I'm at work right now, I'll just ask this for the time being: Is this monitor any good? I was looking at 24-inch screens, but I think a 23-inch would fit the dimensions of my desk better, and so I came across this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=23_inch_monitor-_-24-009-266-_-Product

To be honest, it's the only 23-inch monitor I've looked at so far. Again, price is not an issue. What's the best 23-inch monitor out there?
Just bumping this to get opinions on this monitor... Any thoughts?

iNvid02

XenoRaven said:
Thanks Tekno, yeah I know the capture card is a different piece of hardware. I just mentioned it because if I eventually get a second video card, I'm going to need a MB with enough slots and space to fit all of my crap.

I wasn't planning on overclocking at first, as I am pretty inexperienced and scared of blowing up a $300 piece of equipment. But after reading the performance boosts that people were getting out of that CPU and how easy it is to do, I've changed my mind on that.

Budget isn't so much an issue. About $1k of the money I'm putting towards this isn't even coming out of my pocket. So if I can get CPU/GPU/MB all together for @$1k I'll be happy. If I can still get some kickass performance and go under that number, even better. I can use the leftovers for maybe a BRD drive and/or my second hard drive.

I currently have a Hauppauge HD PVR and I like it, but I've run into some limitations with it. But that might also be due to the capture software I'm using. I have a Mac so I'm using EveTV instead of the software that came with it. Anything below 720p doesn't capture currently. Plus it doesn't have an HDMI input. To answer your question, I would like to be able to capture both Component and HDMI.

Thanks a lot for the advice. That's been the most helpful advice I've gotten so far.

take a look at the intensity pro from blackmagic design as well, up to 1080i via component or hdmi for ps3/360 (only component for ps3 because of hdcp). i have one and you need a beefy system to run it but the quality is second to none.

"I currently have a Hauppauge HD PVR and I like it, but I've run into some limitations with it. But that might also be due to the capture software I'm using. I have a Mac so I'm using EveTV instead of the software that came with it. Anything below 720p doesn't capture currently. Plus it doesn't have an HDMI input. To answer your question, I would like to be able to capture both Component and HDMI."

That sounds like a software issue. However, if you'd like HDMI input, then yeah, the AverTV HD DVR (which again, does require some finagling for PS3 HDMI including using a specific revision of drivers) does it and for half the price of the next card that does it. The Blackmagic Intensity (and Shuttle) will do HDMI for 360 just fine but for PS3 you'll need something like an HDFury to strip the HDCP. If you don't have a PS3 and never plan to get one it might not matter to you, though.

Korranator

Iz2KQ.jpg

According to TechPowerUp, the new N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II OC card is (obviously) based on Nvidia's upcoming GeForce GTX 560 Ti GPU. It also utilizes MSI's Twin Frozr II thermal design, and features an overclocked GPU right out of the box with a core speed of 880 MHz and 1050 MHz (4.20 GHz GDDR5 effective) memory. That's not a bad jump considering the reference speeds are a 820 MHz core and 1000 MHz (4.00 GHz) memory.

As previously reported, the new N500GTX Twin Frozr II line promises a reduced noise output by up to 8.4dB (compared to the reference design). Two temperature-controlled 8-cm PWM fans reduce the sound levels while maintaining excellent air flow across the Twin Frozr II thermal design. The cards also reportedly have cooler operating temperatures by up to 20-degrees Celsius than other GTX 570/580 cards using different cooling solutions.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/GeForce-GTX-560-Ti-Twin-Frozr-II-N500GTX-overclocked-GPU,12022.html

Looks sweet.

Raistlin

MisterNoisy said:
With P67, you're going to be running dual channel - triple channel is (as far as I know) solely the province of the X58/1366 platform, and you'll be on P67/1155.

Yeah, triple channel (actually up to quad channel) won't be hitting this gen until the Sandy Bridge replacement for 1366, the 2011 platform (number of contacts, not the year :p) hits in Q3 of ... err ... 2011.

Neiteio

Fredescu said:
One of the best 23" monitors is going to be this Dell: http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/...cs=audhs1&l=en&sku=230-11540&s=dhs&redirect=1

It has an IPS panel so it will have much better viewing angles than the TN panel in the monitor you linked. Slightly higher response time and input lag but not enough that you'll notice.
Can anyone else vouch for this? When you say more lag, do you mean when I input commands in a game, there will be a delay onscreen? And how much better is the clarity and viewing angles? Enough to justify the extra money? (It's like $200 more.)

EDIT: Also, what's the height (with stand) and width of the Dell monitor?

Fredescu

Neiteio said:
When you say more lag, do you mean when I input commands in a game, there will be a delay onscreen?
Yes, but nowadays it's not terribly noticeable and that particular monitor has excellent input lag for an IPS panel. See:

input_lag1.jpg

From the full review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm

Neiteio said:
And how much better is the clarity and viewing angles? Enough to justify the extra money? (It's like $200 more.)
I have no idea if it's worth the money to you, but the viewing angles were worth it for me (I have the 24" version). On TN panels for example, a full page of one colour will look different all over due to the poorer viewing angles. Even as you adjust your seating position up and down the colours will change slightly on a TN panel. This might bug you, or you might not even notice. I can't speak for the value to you personally.

Kalnos

Banned
Neiteio said:
Can anyone else vouch for this? When you say more lag, do you mean when I input commands in a game, there will be a delay onscreen? And how much better is the clarity and viewing angles? Enough to justify the extra money? (It's like $200 more.)

EDIT: Also, what's the height (with stand) and width of the Dell monitor?

It has an 8ms response time, which isn't bad at all, but it also has a gamemode option which will reduce that response time to something comparable to a 2ms TN monitor.

As far as viewing angels and picture quality, it's well worth the extra money, that's the point of an IPS panel. It's like a hybrid of CRT quality and LCD size and feel.

Also, all Dell IPS monitors have height adjustments, so the height is whatever you want.

Neiteio

Fredescu said:
Yes, but nowadays it's not terribly noticeable and that particular monitor has excellent input lag for an IPS panel. See:

input_lag1.jpg

From the full review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm

I have no idea if it's worth the money to you, but the viewing angles were worth it for me (I have the 24" version). On TN panels for example, a full page of one colour will look different all over due to the poorer viewing angles. Even as you adjust your seating position up and down the colours will change slightly on a TN panel. This might bug you, or you might not even notice. I can't speak for the value to you personally.
I think you sold me on it. :) As long as I don't notice any lag when I go to play a twitch shooter, it should be fine. But what's the height (with stand) and the width of the monitor?

hyelife

Pull the trigger on my New Rig!! :D

CPU: 2600k
MB: Asuss p67 pro
Ram: 8 Gig
Video: GTX 570
Monitor: 24" LED 1080P
Drive: Bluray
etc etc...

Ill post some images during the build!

Fredescu

Neiteio said:
I think you sold me on it. :) As long as I don't notice any lag when I go to play a twitch shooter, it should be fine. But what's the height (with stand) and the width of the monitor?
Holy crap, I didn't realise how bad the tech specs section of the product page was. I dug this up from another review:
Dimensions(HxWxD): 35.6cm x 54.9cm x 18.4cm (with stand)

From: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1275291737

As noted, the height is adjustable.

TheExodu5

Banned
Korranator said:
Iz2KQ.jpg

According to TechPowerUp, the new N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II OC card is (obviously) based on Nvidia's upcoming GeForce GTX 560 Ti GPU. It also utilizes MSI's Twin Frozr II thermal design, and features an overclocked GPU right out of the box with a core speed of 880 MHz and 1050 MHz (4.20 GHz GDDR5 effective) memory. That's not a bad jump considering the reference speeds are a 820 MHz core and 1000 MHz (4.00 GHz) memory.

As previously reported, the new N500GTX Twin Frozr II line promises a reduced noise output by up to 8.4dB (compared to the reference design). Two temperature-controlled 8-cm PWM fans reduce the sound levels while maintaining excellent air flow across the Twin Frozr II thermal design. The cards also reportedly have cooler operating temperatures by up to 20-degrees Celsius than other GTX 570/580 cards using different cooling solutions.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/GeForce-GTX-560-Ti-Twin-Frozr-II-N500GTX-overclocked-GPU,12022.html

Looks sweet.

I have the GTX 275 Twin Frozr and am a big fan of it. I'm a big fan of non reference coolers in general. As long as you have decent case airflow, they're considerably better than stock coolers. I had my GTX 275 at 40% fan speed constant (no speeding up in games), and it kept it at under 85C. Nearly inaudible.

My GTX 570s, by comparison, speed up to around 60% fan speed, which is quite loud.

Like I said though, you should have decent case airflow if you go for one of these. Why? Because they dump most of the hot air into the case, as opposed to the back PCI slot. I prefer this method, because a good case will easily expel that heat. Again, comparing to my GTX 570s, which dump 300W of heat each in a 3 inch hole, which gets dangerously hot when stressed.

Frostburn

So the Hyper 212+ was the first HSF combo I've put on in probably 8 years. It seemed easy enough to install but I feel it is still too loose even though everything is as tight as I dare make it. Should it be able to twist slightly if you try to do so with your hand? It isn't moving on its own but I want to make sure there is enough center pressure to keep things cool and in contact. The center screw doesn't seem to want to go down anymore then it is (I'm not sure it can) and I tightened the 4 screws to the bracket in the recommended pattern.

95f92b2f0cb530542d16d90a6c2af59e20759430.JPG

Let me know if any specific angle would help give you any more info. I have the video card out so I could move the camera lower.

Neiteio

Fredescu said:
Holy crap, I didn't realise how bad the tech specs section of the product page was. I dug this up from another review:
Dimensions(HxWxD): 35.6cm x 54.9cm x 18.4cm (with stand)

From: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1275291737

As noted, the height is adjustable.
Thanks guys. This monitor looks great, but it's a shame there's no HDMI port.

EDIT: I wonder, when they measure height of a monitor and stand, is that the height with the monitor at its highest point? For instance, I have 17 inches of height into which I want to fit a monitor. Maybe I could fit a 24-inch if it was lowered on its stand?

Kalnos

Banned
Neiteio said:
Thanks guys. This monitor looks great, but it's a shame there's no HDMI port.

HDMI is nice because it carries audio, and also to connect things like a PS3 (or if your video card only has HDMI) but the quality as far as video is concerned is no different than DVI.

If you do need HDMI though (or if you want 16:10 instead of 16:9) you could always go for the Dell u2410. Although it's probably $100 more.

Neiteio

Kalnos said:
HDMI is nice because it carries audio, and also to connect things like a PS3 (or if your video card only has HDMI) but the quality as far as video is concerned is no different than DVI.

If you do need HDMI though (or if you want 16:10 instead of 16:9) you could always go for the Dell u2410. Although it's probably $100 more.
How does the Dell u2410 compare to the 23-inch version in terms of performance/appearance? And if it's lowered on its stand, will it fit into a space 17 inches high?

jiien

Frostburn said:
So the Hyper 212+ was the first HSF combo I've put on in probably 8 years. It seemed easy enough to install but I feel it is still too loose even though everything is as tight as I dare make it. Should it be able to twist slightly if you try to do so with your hand? It isn't moving on its own but I want to make sure there is enough center pressure to keep things cool and in contact. The center screw doesn't seem to want to go down anymore then it is (I'm not sure it can) and I tightened the 4 screws to the bracket in the recommended pattern.

Let me know if any specific angle would help give you any more info. I have the video card out so I could move the camera lower.

It should be snug, but that center "screw" is not a screw. It's just a springy pin to keep the two pieces more...flush? If you tightened the four corners enough that they stopped turning under a light, but reasonable force, then you're good. The best test will be turning it on. If you have reported temperatures around 30 to 35ish, you've done it. If not, you may have to take it off and reseat. Sometimes just reapplying paste and sticking it back on gets you in the right position.

Frostburn said:

95f92b2f0cb530542d16d90a6c2af59e20759430.JPG

You know, I always wondered this as well, since installing the hyper. I can move it slightly, even though everything is completely tightened down. Figured it isnt much of an issue since it still cools things down nicely

Raistlin

An alternative to that Dell is the NEC EA231WMI-BK. While I don't have 1st-hand experience, I'm planning to go that route. 3 actually, if it lives up to my needs.

It's an IPS display like the Dell ... only cheaper.

• 23"
  • 1920 x 1080
  • IPS
  • DisplayPort, D-Sub, DVI (HDCP), USB2.0
  • Height, Pivot, Swivel, Tilt

414dTTYzD7L.jpg

necea231_small5.jpg

Review, Review

Newegg, Amazon

Fredescu

Neiteio said:
How does the Dell u2410 compare to the 23-inch version in terms of performance/appearance? And if it's lowered on its stand, will it fit into a space 17 inches high?
The u2410 is quite a deal more expensive, but that's because it's 16:10 rather than 16:9, which means its 1920x1200 rather than 1920x1080, giving you a noticeable chunk of extra screen real estate. It also has a tonne more connectivity options (it even has component, so you could plug a Wii in), and it has a nicer on screen interface.

I have no idea what the minimum height is with the stand lowered. I could check when I get home if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom