• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

Fredescu said:
The u2410 is quite a deal more expensive, but that's because it's 16:10 rather than 16:9, which means its 1920x1200 rather than 1920x1080, giving you a noticeable chunk of extra screen real estate. It also has a tonne more connectivity options (it even has component, so you could plug a Wii in), and it has a nicer on screen interface.

I have no idea what the minimum height is with the stand lowered. I could check when I get home if you like.
So it sounds like you own a u2410? I'd love it if you could measure the exact height (with stand) with the monitor raised as high as possible AND the monitor lowered as far as possible... If you could snap a picture of what it looks like when lowered, that would be GREATLY appreciated as well.

Also, it'd be great to have your first-hand impressions of how crisp, clear it looks, how the colors and viewing angles are, etc.

I do see it's a lot more expensive, in the $500 range. I think the expanded resolution and options could be worth it, though. I have a Wii and a PS3; currently I only have one HDTV in the home, so it'd be nice to have another HDMI-compatible display.

I've been messing around with CCC and RadeonPro lately and there is an annoying problem that has popped up.

When I've tried to force AA on a few games (Mass Effect, Red Faction 1, Star Wars: Empire at War) I've noticed that there is a lighter coloration a few pixels wide around the edge of my screen (sometimes just the left and top side).
The problem doesn't exist when I'm not using CCC or RadeonPro to force AA, so I know the problem isn't my monitor.

Something that's a little more worrying to me is that before I forced AA with Red Faction and Star Wars: EAW, I'm fairly certain that I could force AA on Mass Effect 1 WITHOUT the annoying edge problem, it only now just started doing it.

Has anyone heard of this problem or know of any solutions I could try?

Fredescu

Neiteio said:
So it sounds like you own a u2410? I'd love it if you could measure the exact height (with stand) with the monitor raised as high as possible AND the monitor lowered as far as possible... If you could snap a picture of what it looks like when lowered, that would be GREATLY appreciated as well.

Also, it'd be great to have your first-hand impressions of how crisp, clear it looks, how the colors and viewing angles are, etc.
Sure, I can do all that. It won't be for another 6-7 hours though. Have a look at those NEC options posted earlier too! They're hard to come by here in Australia. The only other IPS options I had at the time were the more expensive HP, and the cheaper AOC.

This page has some good viewing angle tests: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php . Lagom should all be grey, and is grey on my IPS but varies from red to green on my TN. The full screen colours are uniform on the IPS, but usually a different colour at the top and the bottom on the TN based on where I'm sitting. As for real world tests, the thing that gave me the shits with my TN monitor was trying to play Uncharted of all things. I found I had to sit at just the right height or I'd be missing a lot of the scene at either the top or the bottom. It looked so much nicer on the IPS (I'm sure it's better still on a proper TV, that option isn't always available to me).

Kalnos

Banned
TOAO_Cyrus said:
Suggestions?

Looks pretty good to me, make sure to get a DVD drive if needed and a CPU cooler if you're doing any serious over-clocking.

The only thing that I might change is the PSU to a modular corsair/seasonic model, but that's all self-preference.

I don't need a DVD drive and I'm still working on finding an after market cooler. Supposedly the Coolermaster 212 blocks a ram slot so I'm trying to find one that I know works.

So.. what exactly is the difference between higher end LGA1155 boards and ones that are in the ~$130 price range? Better overclocking options? UEFI? Do I really need UEFI/can it be provided later via firmware update?

peppermints said:
So.. what exactly is the difference between higher end LGA1155 boards and ones that are in the ~$130 price range? Better overclocking options? UEFI? Do I really need UEFI/can it be provided later via firmware update?

Usually just more of everything like USB ports, Ethernet, PCIE, SATA etc. There are lots of UEFI MB's in the 130$ range, you can't upgrade a regular BIOS to UEFI as it requires different hardware.

knitoe

TOAO_Cyrus said:
I don't need a DVD drive and I'm still working on finding an after market cooler. Supposedly the Coolermaster 212 blocks a ram slot so I'm trying to find one that I know works.
You only need 2 ram slots. Blocking the closest slot to the CPU won't be an issue unless you plan on adding another 8GB (16GB total) later on. 8GB is plenty for now and future. You might want to spend a little more for $389 XFX 6970, lifetime warranty vs 2 years.

TOAO_Cyrus said:
Usually just more of everything like USB ports, Ethernet, PCIE, SATA etc. There are lots of UEFI MB's in the 130$ range, you can't upgrade a regular BIOS to UEFI as it requires different hardware.

Thanks! Could you point me in the direction of some of them? I've looked on Newegg and as far as I can tell there isn't a way to filter search with that as a feature.

knitoe

peppermints said:
Thanks! Could you point me in the direction of some of them? I've looked on Newegg and as far as I can tell there isn't a way to filter search with that as a feature.
I believe only Gigabyte 1155 MBs don't have UEFI. All the others do. As to what which MB to get, comes down to name brand (trust), hardware and added features. I went with Asus Deluxe for name, hardware and like their UEFI setup.

knitoe said:
I believe only Gigabyte 1155 MBs don't have UEFI. All the others do. As to what which MB to get, comes down to name brand (trust), hardware and added features. I went with Asus Deluxe for name, hardware and like their UEFI setup.

How do you like it? The Asus models I'm looking at have been getting pretty negative (although very few reviews are out there) reviews.

knitoe

peppermints said:
How do you like it? The Asus models I'm looking at have been getting pretty negative (although very few reviews are out there) reviews.
Other than the cold boot problem which can easy be corrected, I like the board. My setup for 24/7 is 2600K @ 4.5Ghz 1.27V.

Prime95a.jpg

knitoe said:
You only need 2 ram slots. Blocking the closest slot to the CPU won't be an issue unless you plan on adding another 8GB (16GB total) later on. 8GB is plenty for now and future. You might want to spend a little more for $389 XFX 6970, lifetime warranty vs 2 years.

Thanks for the suggestions, I went for the XFX and the Cooler Master.

pirata

Hey, PC Gaf. My mouse I use with my laptop bit the dirt earlier today. I want to find a replacement as soon as possible. I don't need anything too fancy, and I don't want to get anything expensive. Can anyone point me to a good wired USB mouse that would work well with a laptop, but that isn't too small and that can be used for some gaming/web browsing/other general purposes that can be carried along in my laptop bag? Thanks!

Jin34

pirata said:
Hey, PC Gaf. My mouse I use with my laptop bit the dirt earlier today. I want to find a replacement as soon as possible. I don't need anything too fancy, and I don't want to get anything expensive. Can anyone point me to a good wired USB mouse that would work well with a laptop, but that isn't too small and that can be used for some gaming/web browsing/other general purposes that can be carried along in my laptop bag? Thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105185

I had that mouse (and still do) before switching to the Logitech MX518 and it's awesome for the price and tbh I kinda like it more for regular web browsing.

InertiaXr

Does anybody know why my 2500k on a P8P67 won't overclock correctly? I can set the multi just fine, at 44x right now obviously shooting for 4.4GHz but the bus speed seems to automatically scale to always keep proc at 3.3, so under IntelBurnTest I'm at 75 x 44 right now for the stock 3.3.

Jin34

InertiaXr said:
Does anybody know why my 2500k on a P8P67 won't overclock correctly? I can set the multi just fine, at 44x right now obviously shooting for 4.4GHz but the bus speed seems to automatically scale to always keep proc at 3.3, so under IntelBurnTest I'm at 75 x 44 right now for the stock 3.3.

I don't have Sandy Bridge but that just doesn't seem to make sense from what I know, since the bus speed is controlled with bclk and that should be at 100, don't see how the board will lower that so much and still be stable.

XenoRaven

Thanks again for the help guys. Ordered my stuff.

I have a question though. I plan on putting my OS on a SSD, and then having like a 7200 RPM drive for all of my files. Is there anything special I need to set this up?

InertiaXr

Jin34 said:
I don't have Sandy Bridge but that just doesn't seem to make sense from what I know, since the bus speed is controlled with bclk and that should be at 100, don't see how the board will lower that so much and still be stable.

Yeah I have my bclk set at 100 and my turbo at 44, but then I get this going on when idle and when under load....

Idle:
http://i.imgur.com/tlOFx.jpg

Load:
http://i.imgur.com/gGJV9.jpg

I have my GPU overclocked by a healthy amount using MSI Afterburner just fine, but this is a little dumbfounding to me. :lol

XenoRaven said:
Thanks again for the help guys. Ordered my stuff.

I have a question though. I plan on putting my OS on a SSD, and then having like a 7200 RPM drive for all of my files. Is there anything special I need to set this up?

Nope just install them both like normal and select the SSD when you install windows. If you didn't format the regular HD during setup you can do it later via windows CP. I prefer to have the OS on the first SATA port but it doesn't really matter.

I don't have an Asus board so make sure to google and shit first, but I believe you might need to increase the maximum wattage your CPU can draw or else it'll throttle once it reaches that point.

InertiaXr

Teknopathetic said:
I don't have an Asus board so make sure to google and shit first, but I believe you might need to increase the maximum wattage your CPU can draw or else it'll throttle once it reaches that point.

Well I rebooted a good 5 times earlier this evening trying to figure out what the problem, and I do have the "Maximum CPU Wattage Draw" or whatever the option is called set on auto so it should take whatever wattage it needs until deemed unsafe by the processor itself, right? At least that's my understanding of it. Tomorrow morning I may set it to limit itself at 1.5V or so, as that seems to be the common wattage that most CPU's can handle according to dudes in this thread.

Jin34

InertiaXr said:
Well I rebooted a good 5 times earlier this evening trying to figure out what the problem, and I do have the "Maximum CPU Wattage Draw" or whatever the option is called set on auto so it should take whatever wattage it needs until deemed unsafe by the processor itself, right? At least that's my understanding of it. Tomorrow morning I may set it to limit itself at 1.5V or so, as that seems to be the common wattage that most CPU's can handle according to dudes in this thread.

Auto is probably the setting that makes it throttle down.

InertiaXr

Jin34 said:
Auto is probably the setting that makes it throttle down.

I rebooted just now and tried to change the CPU wattage draw, but option seemed locked in I couldn't fiddle with it, lol. If I have issues cold booting tomorrow morning I'm going to clear the CMOS and start fresh before I end up breaking something.

knitoe

InertiaXr said:
I rebooted just now and tried to change the CPU wattage draw, but option seemed locked in I couldn't fiddle with it, lol. If I have issues cold booting tomorrow morning I'm going to clear the CMOS and start fresh before I end up breaking something.
What MB do you have? Get CPU-Z 1.56.2. The version you have may not be reading sand bridge cpu info correctly. And, use Prime95 to stress test. From my experience the last few days, I could run IBT max, you are only on standard, for hours and fail Prime95 within minutes.

ZZMitch

Prodigal said:
Arg I keep getting this damned BSOD in Win 7 and I even installed the hot fix as recommended by a bunch of sites and it's still present. :(

BSOD can be caused by anything, a driver update seems to have fixed my BSOD issue, at least I haven't gotten one since I updated my nvidia drivers to the newly released version.
I probably just jinxed it!

Just keep trying different things, and run tests like memtest and prime95 to make sure it isn't a hardware issue.

Hawk269

Well thanks to EVGA's Step Up Program, I finally received my 580 Card yesterday. For the 18.00 Shipping and Handling I was able to go from a 480 to the 580 which to me is great program that they have.

But of course, things can't always go easy. Everything seems to be going fine, but Rivatunars DOverrider is not working with the new card. No matter what I have tried, I cannot get it to work with the new card. I usually have it auto V-Sync and tripple buffering.

It worked fine with the 480, worked fine with my 460 that I usually use as a physx card, but was using it as my main until the 580 came in. I am not sure why it is not working or what else I can try.

Any help or recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any help/assistence.

InertiaXr

knitoe said:
What MB do you have? Get CPU-Z 1.56.2. The version you have may not be reading sand bridge cpu info correctly. And, use Prime95 to stress test. From my experience the last few days, I could run IBT max, you are only on standard, for hours and fail Prime95 within minutes.

Got 1.56.2 and it read 100 bus and 44 multi instantly so I WAS at 4.4GHz :) How long do I need to run either prime95 or IBT? I'm assuming after 2-3 hours under load it will be pretty much stabilized right?

Edit: Currently running prime95 and at around 60celsius on all 4 cores, well under the dangerous range for temps right?

Edit 2: Even more amazing is I put the damn HSF in the wrong way so I have the fan pulling air from below and pushing it straight through the fins and vertical through the case, rather than the pulling from front to back like most people seem to do.

knitoe

InertiaXr said:
Got 1.56.2 and it read 100 bus and 44 multi instantly so I WAS at 4.4GHz :) How long do I need to run either prime95 or IBT? I'm assuming after 2-3 hours under load it will be pretty much stabilized right?

Edit: Currently running prime95 and at around 60celsius on all 4 cores, well under the dangerous range for temps right?
It's up to you. I usually go at least 4 hrs using Prime95 "small FFTs...". Some people say 12, 24 or few days. Don't use IBT. Doesn't seem really stress test sand bridge.

As long as you are under 80C, it's fine. What's your Vcore?

Prodigal

Banned

InertiaXr

knitoe said:
It's up to you. I usually go at least 4 hrs using Prime95 "small FFTs...". Some people say 12, 24 or few days. Don't use IBT. Doesn't seem really stress test sand bridge.

As long as you are under 80C, it's fine. What's your Vcore?

Vcore: 1.320 and 1.328, it bounces back and forth for whatever reason.

I've got Prime95 on that small FFT option:

http://i.imgur.com/X7jOE.jpg

pirata

Hey, guys, look at this Craigslist posting I stumbled upon while seeing if they had cheap mice:

http://austin.craigslist.org/sys/2171552852.html

Does this look like a good deal? How good is it?

(The chances of me biting are low, since I already have a laptop and my parents would probably frown on me spending my money on another computer while I'm still in the dorm, BUT I was thinking of building a PC later this year, and this could maybe be a good buy...or should I just wait until the second half of the year to make my own and take advantage of future price drops/advances?)

knitoe

InertiaXr said:
Vcore: 1.320 and 1.328, it bounces back and forth for whatever reason.

I've got Prime95 on that small FFT option:

http://i.imgur.com/X7jOE.jpg
You should be able to lower the Vcore and making temp drop more. Run prime95 for 10-15 min. If it pass, lower core voltage by 0.010 and repeat. Once you get to a point where Windows locks up , increase Vcore by 0.010 and test. If it continues to fail, increase Vcore by 0.005 each time until you can run prime95 for few hours.

Use CPUID Hardware Monitor to check on voltage. Seems more accurate than CPU-Z.

InertiaXr

knitoe said:
You should be able to lower the Vcore and making temp drop more. Run prime95 for 10-15 min. If it pass, lower core voltage by 0.010 and repeat. Once you get to a point where Windows locks up , increase Vcore by 0.010 and test. If it continues to fail, increase Vcore by 0.005 each time until you can run prime95 for few hours.

Use CPUID Hardware Monitor to check on voltage. Seems more accurate than CPU-Z.

Prime95 ran perfectly fine for 10min at 4.4ghz on 1.32 Vcore, so it looks like I have a new project to work on in the morning. :) Thanks for all the help I bet I was running at 4.4 this past few days but oblivious to it, lol.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
pirata said:
Hey, guys, look at this Craigslist posting I stumbled upon while seeing if they had cheap mice:

(The chances of me biting are low, since I already have a laptop and my parents would probably frown on me spending my money on another computer while I'm still in the dorm, BUT I was thinking of building a PC later this year, and this could maybe be a good buy...or should I just wait until the second half of the year to make my own and take advantage of future price drops/advances?)
For $1000, I am inclined to say no. Also, the games are Steam Works, so he technically still would own them if you cared at all.

pirata

Drkirby said:
For $1000, I am inclined to say no. Also, the games are Steam Works, so he technically still would own them if you cared at all.

Yeah, didn't really care about the games (had a sneaking suspicion that they wouldn't work anyway). Yeah, I'll stay away. By the time late summer rolls around, the same PC would probably cost way less, or I could get way better parts, or both. When does GAF think would be a good time for me to bite on a new PC (based on GAF's profound knowledge of currant and future tech releases and/or general feelings)?

God, the very idea of building a PC frightens me. Thankfully I have a more-experienced friend and GAF to help me along and hold me tightly when things get scary

XenoRaven

What's a good choice for hard drives? I'm reading the comments on Newegg for these Seagate and WD ones and they're all reporting pretty high failure rates...

I just upgraded my laptop with a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB drive. No, it's no SSD. The write speeds will make that pretty clear right away. But if you give the drive a chance to cache frequently read data to the 4GB onboard SLC NAND you'll get SSD-like read speeds on your frequently used applications and Windows. I boot Windows in literally seconds now and launch my Firefox instantaneously. For $120 it was a no-brainer upgrade for my laptop. Just make sure you update the drive's firmware to the latest version, SD24 to prevent frequent hangs due to the drive spinning itself down for no good goddamn reason.

The original 320GB HDD which came with my laptop now lives in my PS3.

pirata said:

well, first off the guy sounds like a jackass for selling his Christmas gift because he needs a netbook. and second, no he's asking way too much.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
XenoRaven said:
What's a good choice for hard drives? I'm reading the comments on Newegg for these Seagate and WD ones and they're all reporting pretty high failure rates...
Samsung F3 1TB
Unknown Soldier said:
I just upgraded my laptop with a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB drive. No, it's no SSD. The write speeds will make that pretty clear right away. But if you give the drive a chance to cache frequently read data to the 4GB onboard SLC NAND you'll get SSD-like read speeds on your frequently used applications and Windows. I boot Windows in literally seconds now and launch my Firefox instanteously. For $120 it was a no-brainer upgrade for my laptop. Just make sure you update the drive's firmware to the latest version, SD24 to prevent frequent hangs due to the drive spinning itself down for no good goddamn reason.

The original 320GB HDD which came with my laptop now lives in my PS3.
For laptops absolutely a great drive.

CrankyJay

Banned
Do any UPS have the capability (or have software included) that will send an email/text msg that power in my house has gone out?

If not, this seems like a fun project to code myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom