• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

Lets try again then:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/J25U

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£164.34 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£58.92 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (£89.12 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£37.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£54.48 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£100.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card (£223.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case (£62.16 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£69.84 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £860.24

Open to suggestions, specially on the GPU. 7870, 7870 GHz, 660ti and 7950 all seem to be roughly in the same ballpark on price, and there are lots to choose from. (And the 7970/670 are sitting just a little higher, tempting me). Will be gaming at 1080p. Also needs to be a decent bump up from my laptop with gtx660m

If you're looking to spend that amount on the GPU get this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-190-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1673

Do AMD cards allow downsampling? 7970 looks very attractive but I might just get an Nvidia card if you can't downsample with AMD.

You can but my understanding is that you need to download a 3rd party application/hack to get it working. There is no native support for it in the drivers.

Katyusha

As far as I know, downsampling doesn't work with the newest drivers unless they released a new version of the downsampling tool.

You could always just install the drivers on the disc, (assuming they're still at 12.11 or lower)
run the tool, and then update to the newest drivers

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I asked about that gigabyte ITX board a while ago and was told this

So you might want to get an MSI, Asrock or Asus instead. Otherwise, looks pretty great. I say go for the 7970 or the 670 if you can afford it. But really you can't go wrong.

Review I read said it could do 4.5 on less than 100w (is rated to 125). Plus it was recommended in mkenyon's SFF build post. But I'll double check. Mitx z77 boards seem a bit expensive. Would I save money switching to mATX with something like a fractal define mini?

Was thinking to get a 'good enough' GPU now, and see what is around mid next year. But I do also have my eye on a 670/7970 if I can stretch my budget

7950 better option than 660ti?

mkenyon

Banned
I think it's a great board for the most part still. It might overvolt a bit, but nothing that is of too much concern for most builds. If you are the type that likes to fine tune an OC or reduce volts to their min to get lower temps, then it can be a PITA.

I also wrote that guide before the MSI and EVGA boards were released though.

The ASRock isn't in the guide because of the insane amount of aftermarket heatsink fitting issues. I knew in advance that people probably wouldn't follow my strict cooler guideline so I decided on erring towards the more forgiving boards in that regard.

t-ramp

Do AMD cards allow downsampling? 7970 looks very attractive but I might just get an Nvidia card if you can't downsample with AMD.
As far as I know, downsampling doesn't work with the newest drivers unless they released a new version of the downsampling tool.

You could always just install the drivers on the disc, (assuming they're still at 12.11 or lower)
run the tool, and then update to the newest drivers
I finally got around to trying out downsampling, and ended up using this method after having no luck any other way. Going through the above process worked flawlessly and left me able to do 1440p on my monitor, so I'm happy.

I wonder how the Haswell chips are going to perform. Either I might upgrade my 2500k to a Haswell chip or hope that the ivy-bridge i7s get discounted.

And also: I just ordered something from NewEgg this morning...and I think I'm going to get it by tonight...? My UPS thing says "in transit"

mkenyon

Banned
'Out For Delivery' means that day. In Transit just means going to your general area.

I hate speculating, but I think Haswell will be a great chip for people who really want to push the OC on their system to the 5.0GHz area. Otherwise, I think it'll be a marginal gain like everything has been from Nehalem to today.

'Out For Delivery' means that day. In Transit just means going to your general area.

I hate speculating, but I think Haswell will be a great chip for people who really want to push the OC on their system to the 5.0GHz area. Otherwise, I think it'll be a marginal gain like everything has been from Nehalem to today.

Oh damn haha. Cause I know that there is a NewEgg facility about 20-25 minutes from where I live. Would've been better for me to just drive there and pick it up.

I would love to see my chip go to 5.0 ghz but I can't imagine how unstable it would be (ive seen it done before on 2500k's though). But maybe from a sandy-bridge to Haswell would be worth the upgrade but I doubt ivy-bridge to Haswell would be worth it.

I wonder how the Haswell chips are going to perform. Either I might upgrade my 2500k to a Haswell chip or hope that the ivy-bridge i7s get discounted.

And also: I just ordered something from NewEgg this morning...and I think I'm going to get it by tonight...? My UPS thing says "in transit"

Im in the same boat, but I have the upgrade itch big time. I just dont know if I am going to replace my 2500k or 670 first. I am seriously just considering going SLI for now and waiting to see whats up with haswell.

mkenyon

Banned
Wise wise words. We won't know anything until release.

Heck, it took some good reviews of Ivy to figure out there was an insane heatwall that made it a downgrade for some compared to Sandy.

It could be their much lauded on-die VRM leads to some other unforseen issue. Maybe the IMC's suck.

But maybe, just maybe, we can have 5.0GHz Haswell i3s. Oh man.

Also forgot to mention the Gigabyte 7950 I bought comes with a new bios, box says 900Mhz but its 1000Mhz out of the box.

weird, bought one myself not too long ago and is not 1000. checking the website still lists 900/1250 as the latest bios.

I think you two got the "boost" edition of the Gigabyte 7950.

Speaking of 7950, I returned the MSI Twin Frozr III on Saturday and ordered a Sapphire Vapor-X 7950 today since I heard good things about it. Does anyone on here have any experience with the Sapphire products or the Vapor-X cooling in general? It took me a while to choose between that or the dual-x cooling system but I figured it was worth the extra 20 dollars to get the one with the vapor-x since it supposedly is quieter (im a stickler for noise) than the dual-x fans.

XShagrath

Is "VGA Clearance" on a case the amount of room you have for a video card? I've got an NZXT Source 210 and newegg says it has 230mm /w hard drive, and 330mm without. I'm looking at getting a 7950 sometime soon, but that according to Gigabyte's website is 285mm long. I've got two HDDs that I need in there. Is it time for me to buy a new case as well?

I'm gonna repost this, since I didn't get an answer earlier and it probably got lost in the shuffle. Thanks, guys!

Hi PC GAF. I have been a console gamer for quite a while now, and though I have always been interested in quite a few pc games, I have never really had the cash available to drop on a decent enough build. That recently changed, so here I am.

Your Current Specs: An older toshiba laptop. i3, 4gb DDR3, intel 3000 graphics, pretty much irrelevant in terms of specs.
Budget: $1,500-$2,000, Pac-NW USA
Main Use: (not really sure yet, as I have never had a decent computer but, as an estimate) Light Gaming=5, Gaming=5, Emulation (PS2/Wii)=3/4, Video Editing=11, HD Streaming=5, 3D/Model work=1, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)=5.
Monitor Resolution: Current monitor is 1080p (bought to use with a xbox360 and ps3), I wount be doing a true eyefinity setup, because I don't have the space, but I would like to upgrade pretty soon and use my current monitor as a secondary display and have a 2560x1440 IPS monitor be the primary display
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I know future proofing is a four letter word around here, but i would like to be able to play games like Crysis 3, Battlefield 3, etc at 2560x1440 on high settings at 60fps. I don't know if that is possible within my budget however, so while not necessary, it is definitely preferred
Looking to reuse any parts?: nope, first build
When will you build?: I would like to build within a month or so if possible
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

I started to map out a build using pcpartpicker and Hazaro's PC build sheet from the OP, but stopped pretty quickly because of the sheer mass of options. I fell down the rabbit hole of reading for two to three hours about the advantages of two vs four gigs of gddr5 on specific cards, only to realize that afterward I still wasn't sure which was preferable to use in my specific situation. So I am turning to the experts: I will take pretty much any and all advice.

That being said, this will be my first build, and I would like to have fun with it.
Thanks in advance.

mkenyon

Banned
I have the end of the day rush to get a bunch of random tasks done, but GhastlyGaseous, one of the benefits of this thread is that I offer my services to help build for Pac-NW GAF. I'm centrally located in Oly, and often visit both PDX and Seattle.

I'll get back on specifics in a bit.

Another PacNW!!!

Yeah, we're a pretty awesome bunch.

I have the end of the day rush to get a bunch of random tasks done, but GhastlyGaseous, one of the benefits of this thread is that I offer my services to help build for Pac-NW GAF. I'm centrally located in Oly, and often visit both PDX and Seattle.

I'll get back on specifics in a bit.

Thanks, I would actually really appreciate that, I had a friend who was going to help me, but he has been indisposed a lot lately, so I was kinda nervous about maybe having to do it by myself.

scogoth

Any word on solder or TIM for Haswell?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Ivy can't hit anywhere near that on an H80i :(

4.3 seems to be my wall, maybe 4.4 if I push my temp tolerance up a bit.

Nah, you just lost the CPU lottery. I've had an Ivy CPU that simply would not go above 4.3 GHz with the heat limit I reached around 1.32V with my cooler. Yet I have other Ivy CPUs that OC with ease to 4.6 GHz at 1.28V. Same exact everything...motherboard, PSU, CPU, RAM, BIOS rev.

Sandy was the same way, but the general easy OC limit was 4.5 and then the lottery kicked in.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Esqueleto

Banned
Also forgot to mention the Gigabyte 7950 I bought comes with a new bios, box says 900Mhz but its 1000Mhz out of the box.
FX0 right?Try flashing another bios. Mine was voltage locked which I don't mind, but it was at 1.25v and it didn't overclock too well. I flashed an unlocked bios that runs at 900mhz but the card is now locked at 1.09v and you can bring it back up to 1ghz.

Speaking of 7950, I returned the MSI Twin Frozr III on Saturday and ordered a Sapphire Vapor-X 7950 today since I heard good things about it. Does anyone on here have any experience with the Sapphire products or the Vapor-X cooling in general? It took me a while to choose between that or the dual-x cooling system but I figured it was worth the extra 20 dollars to get the one with the vapor-x since it supposedly is quieter (im a stickler for noise) than the dual-x fans.

I love Sapphire's products. I've used Sapphire's 5770 in the past and am currently using their 6950. I like my PCs silent, and I've been very happy with their output.

Let me know how the 7950 is. I'm also in an upgrade mood, but I can't decide if I wanna go Team Green for the next round with a GTX 660 Ti. =\

Koroviev

I love Sapphire's products. I've used Sapphire's 5770 in the past and am currently using their 6950. I like my PCs silent, and I've been very happy with their output.

Let me know how the 7950 is. I'm also in an upgrade mood, but I can't decide if I wanna go Team Green for the next round with a GTX 660 Ti. =\

I would take the 7950 over the 660ti. Otherwise, I would pursue the 670 with SLI potential or the 7970.

LowParry

Alright GAF. It's getting close to that time to make some purchases with my upgrades. So here's what I have now.

Your Current Specs: AMD Phenom II X4 940 / 8GIG (DDR2) / Gigabyte MA790X-UD4 / Radeon HD 5850 / TX650W Corsair / COOLER MASTER HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower
Budget: $1000 - 1500 / US
Main Use: Gaming, Streaming, GAF
- Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (24 inch) (Plan on getting a second monitor of the same size and resolution use). Games that MUST run well are FFXIV, TERA, Guild Wars 2, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite for my examples.
- Reused parts are the tower, PSU, CPU heatsink (Cooler Master), internal HDD (2 500GIG)
- I plan in building within the next two weeks.
- I'll start with stock but eventually look into some overclocking.

So with some help, I've come up with these parts as upgrades and would like some feedback with these choices:

R9aFl8o.jpg

Koroviev

Alright GAF. It's getting close to that time to make some purchases with my upgrades. So here's what I have now.

Your Current Specs: AMD Phenom II X4 940 / 8GIG (DDR2) / Gigabyte MA790X-UD4 / Radeon HD 5850 / TX650W Corsair / COOLER MASTER HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower
Budget: $1000 - 1500 / US
Main Use: Gaming, Streaming, GAF
- Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (24 inch) (Plan on getting a second monitor of the same size and resolution use). Games that MUST run well are FFXIV, TERA, Guild Wars 2, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite for my examples.
- Reused parts are the tower, PSU, CPU heatsink (Cooler Master), internal HDD (2 500GIG)
- I plan in building within the next two weeks.
- I'll start with stock but eventually look into some overclocking.

So with some help, I've come up with these parts as upgrades and would like some feedback with these choices:

Get the 3570K. The other i5 variants shouldn't even exist given the nominal price differences.

I was going to go for a 660ti but supposedly with AMD's latest drivers the 7950 is now more on par with the GTX 670. And clock for clock the 7950 is about 5% less performance than the flagship 7970, so if you want the best bang for your buck I would definitely stick with a 7950.

XShagrath

Basically. Is there anywhere else to put your hard drives? There might just be a removable cage there but more room elsewhere

Unfortunately, it looks to me like the hard drive cage is welded on and not screwed or detachable in any way (haven't looked in my case recently, but that's what I remember). I'll have to check and see if there's anywhere else I can put the drives. Maybe I can stick them in one of the 5 1/4"(?) bays where you would normally put an optical drive or whatever.

Thanks for the help.

When does nvidia come out with something new? Money isn't really a problem for me so if I have a question(s).

-Is the titan worth it if I can afford it?
-I can SLI those things right?
-How is SLI support in modem PC games?
-If I were to buy 2 titans and SLI them, would that be better than Nvidias upcoming 7 series?
-How long would 2 titans last me? That's at least 6 years without upgrading right?
-Is it true that SLIing cards doesn't combine the VRAM? Why is that?

Koroviev

When does nvidia come out with something new? Money isn't really a problem for me so if I have a question(s).

-If I were to buy 2 titans and SLI them, would that be better than Nvidias upcoming 7 series?
-How long would 2 titans last me? That's at least 6 years without upgrading right?
-Is it true that SLIing cards doesn't combine the VRAM? Why it's that?

1. Depends on your resolution and refresh rate. Ideal for 120Hz/triple displays.
2. Sure can!
3. There is still less "jank" with single-card configurations, but dual-SLI seems to be pretty nice.
3. My clairvoyance is broken.
4. See above.
5. Indeed. But each Titan has 6GB, so it shouldn't be a concern.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore

-Is it true that SLIing cards doesn't combine the VRAM? Why is that?

I would say no, its only a 20-30 % faster than a gtx 680. I would say wait for something better... Best GPU ever made doesn't make it special when every new card is the fastest ever built ;)!
Unless you don't mind upgrading again in 6 months.

6 years without upgrading, lol! I say 6 months after the new consoles get released, new cards make the Titan look like an overclocked 680 ;).

Sli shares memory because all the data needs to be stored on each card for this to work. In my experience sli works for a little while then drivers start sucking and you get the same performance as 1 card. I would stay away personally unless you don't mind upgrading often.

That said... if you have money to burn, burn away! Its still the fastest gpu you can buy, later you can get the new best thing when it gets released.

kennah

Unfortunately, it looks to me like the hard drive cage is welded on and not screwed or detachable in any way (haven't looked in my case recently, but that's what I remember). I'll have to check and see if there's anywhere else I can put the drives. Maybe I can stick them in one of the 5 1/4"(?) bays where you would normally put an optical drive or whatever.

Thanks for the help.

I took a look at the source 210 and it looks like there is room if there is not hard drives in those particular slots. You are probably ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom