• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

I just ordered a refurbished Seagate 160GB IDE drive from Newegg for $11. Just need something to throw into a Pentium 4 build I put together on Sunday, so hopefully it works.

Also bought 2GB of DDR3 to put into one of my AM3 rigs. Within a week I'll have 4 fully functional desktop PCs running if things go as planned. One LGA 1155, two AM3, and one Socket 478.

I should have traded you parts for that SSD. Have lots of stuff like that around my house.

kennah

What are you wanting the card to do?

EDIT: That GTX 250 is barely faster than an ATI 4850 and a little slower than a 4870. I think you could find a much better deal.

What are you wanting the card to do?

EDIT: That GTX 250 is barely faster than an ATI 4850 and a little slower than a 4870. I think you could find a much better deal.

Basically just play one game (PSO2). There's a chance I'd check other games out, but I'm basically a console gamer.

I've built numerous PCs, but never my own. First computer I actually purchased was a laptop. I've head 4 desktops, but each was a frankenstein I inherited.

derder

Basically just play one game (PSO2). There's a chance I'd check other games out, but I'm basically a console gamer.

I've built numerous PCs, but never my own. First computer I actually purchased was a laptop. I've head 4 desktops, but each was a frankenstein I inherited.

not worth it. I'd get a 5770 from ebay before getting that card.

like this

Koroviev

Any recommendations for a mechanical keyboard for work? I have a CM with browns at home, but I'd like to try a different brand. Probably should be a full keyboard since I enter strings of numbers fairly often. Blue or brown switches should be fine.

derder

Gaf, I found a good deal on a 2nd 6950 on my local craigslist.

I currently own this card: 6950 1GB

will it crossfire with this: 6950 2GB XXX Edition?

I understand that it's a OC'd version of my current card and has 2GB VRAM, but for $140, I think it would be worth it. A used 7950 starts at $330, more than 2x the cost. I just want to know if it will work.

So is this a no go? He's accepted $140. I don't think I could better my computer for <$200 in prep for bioshock infinite in any better way.

derder

That is right up my alley (price wise).

Problem is i've never shopped for video cards. What am I looking for?

I'd make sure that you have enough power in your PSU. GPUs also require a special power cable, 4pin, 6pin, 8pin. Look up your PSU and see what works.

I recommend against going back to the GTX250 generation just because of power and heat per performance.

A new 7950 should be around $300 or less unless prices have increased.

right. But $300 > $200 > $140

Koroviev

I'd make sure that you have enough power in your PSU. GPUs also require a special power cable, 4pin, 6pin, 8pin. Look up your PSU and see what works.

I recommend against going back to the GTX250 generation just because of power and heat per performance.

Old cards are power hungry.

Edit: completely misread that.

mkenyon

Banned
I was trying to figure out why you put such a significance on video editing, then I realized I put a typo in there, it should be a two, not an eleven, that's just my typing being spastic.
I was slightly interested in three of your other ideas (mech keyboard, mouse, and headphones) but I briefly ducked into the cans thread, saw someone say that you couldn't get great audio-quality without spending at least 500, and ducked right back out.
Maximum cooling would be awesome, but I would like to find some sort of balance between that and quietness, and the last time I read about noise dampening cases, it was sort of implied that the soundproofing made them much hotter/gave them poorer airflow as well. I know that I don't have the technical expertise to deal with installing and maintaining full on water blocks and radiators though, like I said, I am new to this.
Alright, I'll put together a list of stuff then. You'd be surprised what you are able to get with your budget.
Gaf, I found a good deal on a 2nd 6950 on my local craigslist.

I currently own this card: 6950 1GB

will it crossfire with this: 6950 2GB XXX Edition?

I understand that it's a OC'd version of my current card and has 2GB VRAM, but for $140, I think it would be worth it. A used 7950 starts at $330, more than 2x the cost. I just want to know if it will work.
Don't do it. Check this out.
Any recommendations for a mechanical keyboard for work? I have a CM with browns at home, but I'd like to try a different brand. Probably should be a full keyboard since I enter strings of numbers fairly often. Blue or brown switches should be fine.
In order of least expensive to most:

Rosewill RK-9000 -> Leopold full size (elitekeyboards.com) -> Ducky (tigerimports.net)

asdad123

The damage is done.

6f516f18-28a6-43ba-88bd-1c48ea92a1cf_zps29c78f1b.jpg

Total Cost after tax: $902.80.

i5 3570k
Corsair H60
ASRock Extreme4
16gb Kingston 1600mhz
GTX570
Thermaltake 600W Power Supply
Crucial M4 256gb SSD

Not pictured:
White Define R4 with Window
Second Crucial M4 256gb SSD
PCI Wireless Card

Just a question, would it be worth it to buy another cheap 570 and SLI it? I only bought this 570 cause it was $75 and Im going to wait until the next gen of cards to upgrade. Or will my Power supply not be able to handle it? The Power Supply I had was one I had left over from a previous build I never used.

Katyusha

The damage is done.

6f516f18-28a6-43ba-88bd-1c48ea92a1cf_zps29c78f1b.jpg

Total Cost after tax: $902.80.

i5 3570k
Corsair H60
ASRock Extreme4
16gb Kingston 1600mhz
GTX570
Thermaltake 600W Power Supply
Crucial M4 256gb SSD

Not pictured:
White Define R4 with Window
Second Crucial M4 256gb SSD
PCI Wireless Card

Just a question, would it be worth it to buy another cheap 570 and SLI it? I only bought this 570 cause it was $75 and Im going to wait until the next gen of cards to upgrade. Or will my Power supply not be able to handle it? The Power Supply I had was one I had left over from a previous build I never used.

I have that PSU as well, and I know it definitely won't be able to handle SLI 570's if it can't handle a single 670 (not enough amps on the 12V rail)

mkenyon

Banned
I was trying to figure out why you put such a significance on video editing, then I realized I put a typo in there, it should be a two, not an eleven, that's just my typing being spastic.
I was slightly interested in three of your other ideas (mech keyboard, mouse, and headphones) but I briefly ducked into the cans thread, saw someone say that you couldn't get great audio-quality without spending at least 500, and ducked right back out.
Maximum cooling would be awesome, but I would like to find some sort of balance between that and quietness, and the last time I read about noise dampening cases, it was sort of implied that the soundproofing made them much hotter/gave them poorer airflow as well. I know that I don't have the technical expertise to deal with installing and maintaining full on water blocks and radiators though, like I said, I am new to this.
Okay, here's the core:

The only thing to add is a SSD that you can snipe on sale, and a case. This is a top of the line, best parts out there type of build pretty much.

I included a 144Hz monitor because 144Hz > 1440P. Trust me on this. If you are iffy, you can try out a few games on some of my 120Hz monitors if you'd like, then decide later.

The 7970 comes with Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite for free, pretty good deal. Though, there isn't really much out there than can max out Crysis 3 right now. You'd need to look at spending $2k on videocards alone to get there. What I suggest is hanging on to this 7970 until the next generation of cards release, sell it, then buy the new GTX 780 or 8970.

For a case, I'd suggest the Fractal Define R4, Fractal Define Mini, Lian Li PC-7HX, or Arc Midi R2.

You will want to add either a CM Storm Spawn, Corsair M65, or Sensei Raw. Again, if you want to try these out, you are welcome to do so before biting the bullet on my system. I heavily suggest the Sensei Raw.

For the single best pair of gaming cans, I really suggest the Sennheiser 363Ds. They are really pricey though. For other stuff, check out the OP. The AD700s are an amazing headset at $100. The onboard sound on the Maximus V Gene is really great too.
What does the Leopold offer over the Rosewill?
Ever so slight build quality. I have a Rosewill at work and a Leopold at home. Despite both being reds, the Leopold has this slight softness to it that makes me like it more.

asdad123

I have that PSU as well, and I know it definitely won't be able to handle SLI 570's if it can't handle a single 670 (not enough amps on the 12V rail)

Alright cool. Whenever I buy a new graphics card when they come out, Ill just buy a better PSU too. I figured I would save a little at first by using this one rather than it just sitting in my closet.

Koroviev

Enough amps, and then maybe ~450W on the 12V rail.

Open up your case and take a picture of the spec sticker on your PSU.

If he needs a PSU, I think I also have a 430W Corsair lying around. Can check when I get home.

Are reds decent for scripting work?

mkenyon

Banned
Are reds decent for scripting work?
It's subjective. People generally fawn over blues, browns, and clears as the ultimate in typing switches. I like reds for everything though.

*edit*

There's always Torpe switches too. They were designed specifically for programmers. Prepare to sacrifice your checking account though.

Zaph

While during a particular game, if GPUZ is reporting utilisation around 85% (instead of the usual 99%), is it safe to assume its being bottlenecked by the CPU, or could the game just be poorly optimised?

mkenyon

Banned
Neither. It happens for a variety of reasons.

There is no such thing as a CPU bottleneck that will limit GPU usage. That inductive reasoning is kind of flawed, but has somehow stuck around as one of those internet myths.

Zaph

Neither. It happens for a variety of reasons.

There is no such thing as a CPU bottleneck that will limit GPU usage. That inductive reasoning is kind of flawed, but has somehow stuck around as one of those internet myths.
Huh, that's surprising. So you're saying a CPU bottleneck can never limit FPS to the point where the GPU simply doesn't have anything more it can do? But isn't that what happens with a lot of cpu-intensive MMO's?

scogoth

Huh, that's surprising. So you're saying a CPU bottleneck can never limit FPS to the point where the GPU simply doesn't have anything more it can do? But isn't that what happens with a lot of cpu-intensive MMO's?

CPU can limit FPS but the GPU will still chug away at making polygons even if those polygons aren't moving or changing.

mkenyon

Banned
CPU bottlenecks *always* exist though. Let's put it this way.

You could have 99% GPU utilization and continue to improve frame times with a better/higher clocked CPU.

You could have 70% GPU utilization and continue to improve frame times with a better GPU and the same CPU.

There's a lot of variables to take into account. PCI-E bandwidth, drivers, vsync, in game frame time cap, VRAM limits, GPU thermal throttling, etc etc etc.

During every single one of these runs, GPU usage was in the 90-99% range.

Yet there is a dramatic decrease in frame time with a higher clocked CPU.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For a case, I'd suggest the Fractal Define R4, Fractal Define Mini, Lian Li PC-7HX, or Arc Midi R2

Fractal define mini a good alternative to the bitfenix prodigy?

GPUs seem to not be directly competing with each other, they're more interleaved (bit like canon and Nikon cameras). Makes straight choices difficult. Eg 660 > 7950 > 670 > 7970 > 680.

mkenyon

Banned
They do different things. The Define Mini is a bit larger as it's designed around the mATX form factor. It's designed around silence but can be a great air cooled case with the right fans.

The Prodigy has more native cooling support, and is more transportable.

Okay, here's the core:

The only thing to add is a SSD that you can snipe on sale, and a case. This is a top of the line, best parts out there type of build pretty much.

I included a 144Hz monitor because 144Hz > 1440P. Trust me on this. If you are iffy, you can try out a few games on some of my 120Hz monitors if you'd like, then decide later.

The 7970 comes with Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite for free, pretty good deal. Though, there isn't really much out there than can max out Crysis 3 right now. You'd need to look at spending $2k on videocards alone to get there. What I suggest is hanging on to this 7970 until the next generation of cards release, sell it, then buy the new GTX 780 or 8970.

For a case, I'd suggest the Fractal Define R4, Fractal Define Mini, Lian Li PC-7HX, or Arc Midi R2.

You will want to add either a CM Storm Spawn, Corsair M65, or Sensei Raw. Again, if you want to try these out, you are welcome to do so before biting the bullet on my system. I heavily suggest the Sensei Raw.

For the single best pair of gaming cans, I really suggest the Sennheiser 363Ds. They are really pricey though. For other stuff, check out the OP. The AD700s are an amazing headset at $100. The onboard sound on the Maximus V Gene is really great too.

Awesome. I will keep my eyes peeled for deals on a ssd.

I will trust you on 1440p vs 144Hz, but are there any decent 27 inch 144Hz monitors out there without getting excessively pricey?

I was definitely headed towards an R4 based on aesthetic alone, so it's nice to hear you confirm that.

Any suggestions on keyboards other than those posted in the OP, and would you be willing to pm me a link to the newegg cart that you built?

Thanks for all of the help so far.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They do different things. The Define Mini is a bit larger as it's designed around the mATX form factor. It's designed around silence but can be a great air cooled case with the right fans.

The Prodigy has more native cooling support, and is more transportable.

Quiet sounds good for me. Don't need portable, but would want to over clock the i5 and maybe have a 7950/7960 in it. Will take a look at some builds. Prodigy I like with the large side net for the GPU

If I went with the define mini, what m/board would you recommend? I think everything else could stay the same

Edit: looking at the case, it seems the GPU might not get much air, but if you put a couple of intake fans at the front, and a couple of exhausts at the top, and had the rear as an intake for the H60, would that create positive pressure which should give the GPU enough air to work with?

mkenyon

Banned
Gene V is the best mATX motherboard.

ASrock Extreme 4 M is a good alternative for less $.
Edit: looking at the case, it seems the GPU might not get much air, but if you put a couple of intake fans at the front, and a couple of exhausts at the top, and had the rear as an intake for the H60, would that create positive pressure which should give the GPU enough air to work with?
I'd do two Arctic Cooling F12s in the front, remove one of the drive cages. H60 exhaust in upper rear, one standard exhaust at the top.
Awesome. I will keep my eyes peeled for deals on a ssd.

I will trust you on 1440p vs 144Hz, but are there any decent 27 inch 144Hz monitors out there without getting excessively pricey?

I was definitely headed towards an R4 based on aesthetic alone, so it's nice to hear you confirm that.

Any suggestions on keyboards other than those posted in the OP, and would you be willing to pm me a link to the newegg cart that you built?

Thanks for all of the help so far.
PM sent. The keyboards in the OP were picked by me, and I still wouldn't deviate from those personally.

No 1440p 120Hz monitors. It's a damn shame.

mkenyon

Banned
It's 90% about the custom cooler that they use. 5% about reliability, because they're all pretty much the same thing. 5% about RMA process as again, they're all pretty much the same. XFX is the only brand to avoid really.

Vestal

Does manufacture of a graphics card have anything to say on regards to performance or other parts of the card?

Depends really.. You can get some great value from cards due to which manufacturer you choose.. Examples.

1. MSI 6950 Twin Frozer 3 actually had the ability to have shaders unlocked to that of a 6970 and MSI actually were OK with this.

2. EVGA set up program, and just the awesomeness of their product polish.

On that same thinking, you also have Manufacturers that will actually CRIPPLE a card from being overclocked or tweaked.. Sapphire comes to mind back in the R8xx days.

Koroviev

It's subjective. People generally fawn over blues, browns, and clears as the ultimate in typing switches. I like reds for everything though.

*edit*

There's always Torpe switches too. They were designed specifically for programmers. Prepare to sacrifice your checking account though.

Ordered two of the otaku Leopolds with browns from Elite Keyboards :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom