• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite sure what's the problem. Given the clock speed boost despite the cut in SMX units it's still a half percent boost in raw numbers over the GTX 670. Given the much larger memory bandwidth it's going to be a modest performance increase over the previous gen for $100 less.

I mean, yeah, it's not a GTX 670 rebadge but it's not a downgrade either.

Not quite sure what's the problem. Given the clock speed boost despite the cut in SMX units it's still a half percent boost in raw numbers over the GTX 670. Given the much larger memory bandwidth it's going to be a modest performance increase over the previous gen for $100 less.

I mean, yeah, it's not a GTX 670 rebadge but it's not a downgrade either.
People were expecting a refined 670 like what the 770 is to the 680. Also, even nvidia's own slides show that this thing is slower than a 670:

NVIDIA-GeForce-700-Series-Roadmap.png

Seriously considering just getting a PS4 this year and delaying a new build til next year since hopefully 4GB+ will be standard by then and we'll know how much power/VRAM PC ports will need (also, the small chance that Broadwell/Haswell refresh are better overclockers). Thanks a lot nvidia.

The 770 is just a 680 with ever so slightly better raw performance numbers and more memory bandwidth, just like the 670 to 760?
Huh? The 780 has the same number of shaders, a higher core clock, higher bandwidth and higher TDP so it OCs much better and most importantly is faster than the 680. The 760 has higher bandwidth and a higher core clock but has much fewer shaders and TMUs and most importantly has been confirmed to be slower than the 670 based on nvidia's own information. The situation is not at all comparable.

Huh? The 780 has the same number of shaders, a higher core clock, higher bandwidth and higher TDP so it OCs much better and most importantly is faster than the 680. The 760 has higher bandwidth and a higher core clock but has much fewer shaders and TMUs and most importantly has been confirmed to be slower than the 670 based on nvidia's own information. The situation is not at all comparable.

1152 @ 1072MHz is 2470 GFLOPS. 1344 @ 914 is 2460 GLOPS. Like I said the numbers are still pretty much identical. We don't know max boost on 760 yet but it'll be interesting to see if it can clock as high as necessary to see an advantage over the 670 once boost kicks in. But otherwise it's not a cut in performance right now. Combined with the memory bandwidth increase it should be a pretty modest increase in performance. I don't think it's worth putting faith into the arrangement of boxes by some marketing guy on a powerpoint slide to determine performance tiers. If anything we need to wait until the full numbers show up.

mkenyon

Banned
The 760 Ti does not exist any more.

Edit: You stealth edited.

:p
Seriously considering just getting a PS4 this year and delaying a new build til next year since hopefully 4GB+ will be standard by then and we'll know how much power/VRAM PC ports will need (also, the small chance that Broadwell/Haswell refresh are better overclockers). Thanks a lot nvidia.
Yeah, I feel really iffy about the GK104 in general. Doesn't seem like it's going to have legs, but that's totally speculative.

Who knows if all that VRAM is necessary? Only devs, really.

It is certain that the GK104 does a great job with relatively low power draw. Besting the previous 580 with half the power draw was an impressive feat.

Flaxh

Very similar to the build I'm working on. I think I'm going to go with the eVGA or Gigabyte 770 instead of ASUS. I went with a SSD, too. Many people have told me it's a must for the OS.

I decided to cut the SSD for now so that I can get a better GPU, but I'll buy one later.

Have you considered the 7970?

kharma45

Ah okay I see :eek: I own both of them already but I might aswell gift them to a friend and I think I will go for the 7870 because it seems to perform generally better. And yeah that sounds far easier than shipping elsewhere, good luck! :/

You'd be a good friend doing that :p I'd just sell them on!

RoKKeR

Here I am just sitting, waiting for 4GB 770's to be restocked.

How long will I be waiting? I knew I was being too indecisive.

Mr. Hyde

Damn. My Samsung 840 PRO did not come with an ssd mounting bracket. I am completely new to SSDS. I was looking in the Fractal R4 case while scratching my head about how to install this thing. I know you can install two behind the motherboard but alas, I have no backet. Which retail stores sell them?

kharma45

Damn. My Samsung 840 PRO did not come with an ssd mounting bracket. I am completely new to SSDS. I was looking in the Fractal R4 case while scratching my head about how to install this thing. I know you can install two behind the motherboard but alas, I have no backet. Which retail stores sell them?

Just tape it somewhere in your case like the behind the motherboard tray.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I decided to cut the SSD for now so that I can get a better GPU, but I'll buy one later.

Have you considered the 7970?

Sweet. Right priorities!

Re: 770 vs 7970. I should start off by saying I have no idea what I'm doing. This is my first build in 15 years.

It's pretty close to a coin flip, as far as I can tell. However, the general opinion seems to be that the 770 is better. Just slightly. However, it's hard to argue with the 7970's value/game bundle.

I'm going to go with the 2gb version. Only a couple of games at ridiculous resolutions and settings pose a problem for 2gb (eg metro last light). Even then metro at the highest resolution possible uses 2.x gb. IMO, based on what ive read, it's going to be a while before gaming at ultra high and at 1080p starts to become even a slight problem for 2gb.

But, again, I'm new to this!

mkenyon

Banned
The higher memory bandwidth, free games, and more memory of the 7970 makes it the clear winner to me right now.

I'd say where I'd suggest the 770 is if you are interested in downsampling, physx, 3D, cuda development, or immediate SLI.

NVIDIA has the features, but AMD has the raw power.

Garou

You should be able to mount the SSD in that case in the drive-bays. You simply have to screw them from below, not from the side. Just take one of those white holders out of its bay.

Blizzard

Banned
Idle temperature still seems to be 48-51C with the 4.2 GHz overclock. *snip*
I'm running 4 case fans, 2 videocard fans, and 1 CPU fan. The system is noticeably louder than my old one (2 less case fans) which is very quiet. I guess I'll see if it bothers me. I could turn the top two case fans off, but this particular case (HAF 912) has a huge vent on the top and I'm afraid of a ton of dust getting in otherwise.
I have Asus Mobo, but CPU, OC, Heatsink is same as yours. My idle temperature is about 35C. During the stress test, it was about 65C.

My voltage is something like 1.23. You should manually decrease voltage, because auto-OC most likely upped it too much.
Thanks. I'll check the voltage tonight hopefully. Any other opinions on the temperature? I saw somewhere that BIOS idle temperature may be higher than OS idle temperature (which I don't know yet) due to the lack of ACPI or whatnot.

Phatcorns

So I'm in the market to upgrade again. Last upgrade was in 2008.

I have a P5QL Pro Motherboard with an Intel E7400 Core 2 Duo 2.8 Ghz, 4 gigs of ram, and a Radeon 3850.

My question is: If I upgrade just the graphics card, will that do me any good? Or will my older CPU and ram create too much of a bottleneck for it to make a difference?

Thanks and great thread!

Flaxh

Sweet. Right priorities!

Re: 770 vs 7970. I should start off by saying I have no idea what I'm doing. This is my first build in 15 years.

It's pretty close to a coin flip, as far as I can tell. However, the general opinion seems to be that the 770 is better. Just slightly. However, it's hard to argue with the 7970's value/game bundle.

I'm going to go with the 2gb version. Only a couple of games at ridiculous resolutions and settings pose a problem for 2gb (eg metro last light). Even then metro at the highest resolution possible uses 2.x gb. IMO, based on what ive read, it's going to be a while before gaming at ultra high and at 1080p starts to become even a slight problem for 2gb.

But, again, I'm new to this!

We're in the same situation! I read a lot of good things about the 770 but the experts here recommend the 7970ghz and I'm tempted to go that way because of extra memory and also the fact that nextgen consoles have ATI GPUs, so it might help. But Im just supposing.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
We're in the same situation! I read a lot of good things about the 770 but the experts here recommend the 7970ghz and I'm tempted to go that way because of extra memory and also the fact that nextgen consoles have ATI GPUs, so it might help. But Im just supposing.

Interesting point, never thought about that!

Mr. Hyde

Do I put the pea sized drop of thermal paste on the heatsink or the CPU itself? And how long do I have to push them together once I lay it on?

knitoe

Do I put the pea sized drop of thermal paste on the heatsink or the CPU itself? And how long do I have to push them together once I lay it on?

Pea size on the CPU. Then, attached the heatsink and tighten the screws. You are done. The thermal paste should spread and even out overtime.

Wallach

I generally put it on the CPU myself. Only use a very small bit in the center; for the most part, less is more when it comes to thermal paste. Once you have the heatsink in place just secure it onto the motherboard and it'll do the rest.

Celcius

°Temp. member
So I'm in the market to upgrade again. Last upgrade was in 2008.

I have a P5QL Pro Motherboard with an Intel E7400 Core 2 Duo 2.8 Ghz, 4 gigs of ram, and a Radeon 3850.

My question is: If I upgrade just the graphics card, will that do me any good? Or will my older CPU and ram create too much of a bottleneck for it to make a difference?

Thanks and great thread!

You would be better off just starting over. Perhaps sell your current rig and put the money towards a new one?

Mr. Hyde

I generally put it on the CPU myself. Only use a very small bit in the center; for the most part, less is more when it comes to thermal paste. Once you have the heatsink in place just secure it onto the motherboard and it'll do the rest.

Alright. I am trying to figure out this adjustable X piece that is spring loaded and sits in the heat sink. I know it installs in the risers I put on the motherboard for the EVO, but I don't get how I lock it into place.

knitoe

Alright. I am trying to figure out this adjustable X piece that is spring loaded and sits in the heat sink. I know it installs in the risers I put on the motherboard for the EVO, but I don't get how I lock it into place.

At the end of the X, there are 4 screws you push down and tighten onto the bracket you attached to the MB around the CPU socket.

Mr. Hyde

At the end of the X, there are 4 screws you push down and tighten onto the bracket you attached to the MB around the CPU socket.

I think I screwed up. I can't get one of the four screws to match the hole while the other three did plus I didn't tighten the middle screw because I don't know how to.

Double D

My 770 came in today and finally got done messing with a bunch of games. Paired with an i5 2500k. Everything is stock. It tore through everything at 1920 x 1200. Really happy with everything.

Double D

2gb or 4gb?

2gb. For some reason I wanted to stick with EVGA so I went with that super clocked version. Coming from a 465 so it's a great improvement. Strangely enough the only game to give me issues was NFS Most Wanted. Was getting drops into the 40s with 8x msaa with 4 it was locked at 60.

Edit: it's also very quiet.

Mr. Hyde

Wow. This Hyper 212 EVO is a nightmare to install. I've had to remove it once so far to clean the chip/heatsink due to it slipping and sliding while I try to get all four screws to go in place. I can never get the fourth screw to match the hole. Do I tighten the middle screw in the cross piece before trying to mount it? If so, I can't figure how.

I finally got it screwed it but it looks, to me, it is off center a bit. One edge is further over a little on the processor. AUGH! I might be ocd'ing.

x3sphere

Wow. This Hyper 212 EVO is a nightmare to install. I've had to remove it once so far to clean the chip/heatsink due to it slipping and sliding while I try to get all four screws to go in place. I can never get the fourth screw to match the hole. Do I tighten the middle screw in the cross piece before trying to mount it? If so, I can't figure how.

How are you tightening the screws? Best way is to tighten the first partially, move to the one diagonal from that, then repeat. Once they're all in then tighten them fully.

knitoe

The screws at the end of the X can be move. If the screws can't reach the bracket holes, adjust them. They are should be on the same notch on the X, inside, middle or outside notch.

Instructions with pics:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1322128/...er-212-evo-plus-on-sockets-1155-1366-2011-amd

RoKKeR

My 770 came in today and finally got done messing with a bunch of games. Paired with an i5 2500k. Everything is stock. It tore through everything at 1920 x 1200. Really happy with everything.

Great to hear. Just ordered my Gigabyte 4GB, should be here by the end of the week.

etrain911

I've decided to bite the bullet and finally pick up my GTX 770.

Do you guys think the extra $50 is worth it for the 4GB? I think I'll probably pick up this model when it comes back for availability. (they will restock, right?)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125462

I picked up the same part today! I think the 4GB will be good enough to handle next gen games, and if you think about it, you're only paying $50 for 2 extra GB. That's like $25 per GB VRAM.

RoKKeR

I picked up the same part today! I think the 4GB will be good enough to handle next gen games, and if you think about it, you're only paying $50 for 2 extra GB. That's like $25 per GB VRAM.

Yeah, my payment just cleared! Should be great for first to second year next gen games and still solid after that. I'm really looking forward to it.

Foxyone

Are any future CPU's going to use 1150/Z87 Mobo's or are they one and done with Haswell and the 2014 Haswell rebadges/OC's?

Well Broadwell is supposed to support LGA1150 as well, but that's been pushed back to 2015, so I don't think they'd drop support for it in 2014 and pick it back up again the next year.

Foxyone

Two questions:

1. Will taking apart a 9 year old PC tell me anything about putting a modern PC together?

2. Is there any chance that the next GPU series AMD releases will have unified memory, like Nvidia's Maxwell in 2014? Just wondering whether or not to try waiting for AMD later in the year / early next year for a nice GPU, or just buy a 7000 series in a few months.

Woo cancelled Amazon order and just purchased. Watch it be in a packaging state for 2 weeks and I could have purchased it from Amazon after all.

This is my concern as well. If Newegg really do have them in stock and can ship me one this week I'd be super happy about it, but I don't want to cancel my Amazon order and then find out I'm out of luck.... Do you guys think they'll actually ship them right out now?

Wow. This Hyper 212 EVO is a nightmare to install.

Yeah, in general the computer build process is super easy these days but this thing was a fucking pain in the ass. Least intuitive (and least helpfully documented in the package) PC part I've ever bought.

Mr. Hyde

The screws at the end of the X can be move. If the screws can't reach the bracket holes, adjust them. They are should be on the same notch on the X, inside, middle or outside notch.

Instructions with pics:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1322128/...er-212-evo-plus-on-sockets-1155-1366-2011-amd

I got it mounted but it doesn't look fully centered on the processor. It seems slightly off to one side. I guess I should leave it and get the computer actually running and then see f I need to reseat it.

This is my concern as well. If Newegg really do have them in stock and can ship me one this week I'd be super happy about it, but I don't want to cancel my Amazon order and then find out I'm out of luck.... Do you guys think they'll actually ship them right out now?
I was contemplating keeping both orders and then cancel whichever shipped first, but was worried they would somehow both ship before I could cancel one. Then again you can always return one with the return penalty. I cancelled my Amazon order in the end. My NewEgg purchase was already charged to my card so it "appears" that it will be shipping sometime soon. I do not think they would charge my credit card and then let me wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom