• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
Can I use the stock cpu fan for the i5 3570k and when I eventually want to overclock, I can just buy an aftermarket heatsink?
You can, but why not just spend the small amount extra now and get it done with while you put everything together? It'll be easier and you can then overclock absolutely whenever you feel like. Otherwise, you're going to want to overclock one day, but you'll have to order the part and wait for it, then break open the computer and install it with everything already all cramped in there, where you'll be wishing you had done it earlier.

Thorgal

My 660 would test out in 3DMark11 fine, but then would crash while playing a game. Ended up removing the OC profile. Wasn't worth the hassle.

I just played Metro LL an hour with these settings .

naamlooskjsud.png

Mind you . i know that OC can differ from system to system but I had no problems with these settings .

kharma45

Ordered my rig today, heres the main components...

MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Will upgrade the RAM in time when I see a good sale on some 8GB sticks.
I am way too excited to put this beast together, never had a PC that could run current games well!

If it's not too late change that RAM to something low profile like these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

You'll likely have no need to go past 8GB of RAM if you're gaming.

If it's not too late change that RAM to something low profile like these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

You'll likely have no need to go past 8GB of RAM if you're gaming.

Its in packaging so i can't change anything. Im not really worried about how large the RAM is, even though it does look obnoxiously obtrusive. I know I won't need more, but I want to buy more y'know, so I have it. Lol.

kharma45

Its in packaging so i can't change anything. Im not really worried about how large the RAM is, even though it does look obnoxiously obtrusive. I know I won't need more, but I want to buy more y'know, so I have it. Lol.

If that's what you want to do, but for gaming there is literally no point as it brings zero benefits.

Zezboob

Hi guys, I have a little question to those who have a Z87-G45 motherboard.

Does it keep charging USB devices when the computer is off? (using the OS, not speaking about powering off the power supply)

Currently my motherboard (a Gigabyte) keeps all my USB devices on after I shut down my PC, and I really hate it.

I can't find anything about it in the manual.

Thank you in advance.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Changed things around in my Fractal Define R4. Moved some cables and removed the top hard drive bay. I flipped the front fan around so the fan is at the top (the case comes with the fan at the bottom, not sure why). Now the fan has a clear pathway to the CPU and GPU. All the air comes out the back fan.

6vsibQv.jpg

Hey Guys. First time posting in this thread.
Im going to share a story with you guys.
Yesterday my PC only powered on but the screen went black. Since Im not much of a hardware tech guy I thought it was Software problems. The Wi-Fi card stopped working and looked to fix it by removing and putting in again but nothing. Then the systems everytime there was a new update, I restarted the PC and it didnt boot. I had to turn it off manually and then it would boot. Only to take me to the CMOS screen. The clock was set in 2009 and so on. Anyways today it didnt boot. The screen was black and never booted. I took out the power supply, Went to my local CompUsa to get it tested and it still worked.

Well while I was browsing I took a look at a new power supply, thinking I needed a new one. And saw a CoolMaster one for $75 which was right between my price range. Never got to buy it since my older one still worked. I bought a new CMOS Battery and that was it. PC is working great.

Now, I want to upgrade my PC. I mainly do 3D stuff like animating and rendering. GAF, where should I start? Should I buy a new Power Supply first, then a graphics card? CPU first on mainly buy a whole new motherboard and chipset? Like I told you. Im new to this, but I know how to work around the hardware.

This is my PC Specs. Help me out here guys. I want to get the most out of it some of the hardware inside without having to replace everything

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-dx4300-15e/4507-3118_7-33964721.html

Quoting for new page. Help me out here guys
Also I just bought this Power Supply since Im about to buy a new graphics card for the PC

Roland1979

Changed things around in my Fractal Define R4. Moved some cables and removed the top hard drive bay. I flipped the front fan around so the fan is at the top (the case comes with the fan at the bottom, not sure why). Now the fan has a clear pathway to the CPU and GPU. All the air comes out the back fan.

How many case fans do you use in total (so not the GPU/CPU/PSU fans) and do you overclock?

i have 3 hard drives, one ssd and 2 storages

the storage drives, when accessed, kinda lock up (since i have nothing but storage on them they are rarely spinning i assume?)

this doesnt mean they are dying, right? they seriously lock for about...3-4 seconds, make like a "click" sound then the seeking on the HDD begins.

Echoplx

i have 3 hard drives, one ssd and 2 storages

the storage drives, when accessed, kinda lock up (since i have nothing but storage on them they are rarely spinning i assume?)

this doesnt mean they are dying, right? they seriously lock for about...3-4 seconds, make like a "click" sound then the seeking on the HDD begins.

Sounds like Windows is powering them down, you can change that setting in advanced power options.

asdad123

Any recommendations for wireless mouse/keyboard apart from the g700s in the first post?

I'd perfer a rechargeable mouse for the convenience.

RSTEIN

How many case fans do you use in total (so not the GPU/CPU/PSU fans) and do you overclock?

I currently only have two fans: front intake and rear exhaust (ignoring 1 CPU fan and 3 GPU fans).

One of the reasons I moved things around is because I want to start overclocking. Do you think I need another case fan to start overclocking?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I currently only have two fans: front intake and rear exhaust (ignoring 1 CPU fan and 3 GPU fans).

One of the reasons I moved things around is because I want to start overclocking. Do you think I need another case fan to start overclocking?
No. I have the same case with those same two fans and that same heat sink. You're fine.

WolvenOne

Okay, first, quick update on things.

As per recommendations, I purchased a Coolermaster HyperEvo Plus, for my AMD Phenom II X4 3.4ghz CPU installed on my Gigabyte AM3 motherboard. Since then, I've managed to safely install it, and have overclocked my CPU to 4ghz, where it operates at about 36c idle and 45c under load. I am reluctant to overclock beyond those numbers, because I've not yet has an oppertunity to test the CPU under a sustained load, so I have no idea if those numbers will still look so good after 4-5 hours of strain.

I've also overclocked my AMD Radeon HD 6850, from 750mhz to 825mhz, and tested it under sustained load, where it seems stable. I've also tested it at Max overclock, where it ads another FPS or so, but on stock cooling I wouldn't trust it to stay cool after several hours.

Now, the game I'm most concerned about at this moment, is Final Fantasy XIV 2.0, Using the above components at these settings, I've been able to get the game to run anywhere from 24-35fps at 1080p at max settings, to 51-55fps at 720p.

This is about a 5-7 fps improvement on both settings, over when these same components were running at stock speeds.

Ideally though, I'd like to be able to run this one game at 1080p, at max settings, at 60fps. This is actually probably my biggest priority in gaming for the entire year.

What I would like to know, is if there is any singular component I could replace on my set-up, that'd allow me to do this. I can scrape together enough money to replace the CPU, GPU, or to add a boatload of memory, but I cannot afford to do all these things before the official launch.

Now, I've got to point out, than long term future compatibility, isn't a big issue. The PC is usually where I go to play games that're a year or three old, after they've been heavily discounted. The only titles coming out in the next year that I plan to pick up on PC, at launch, are FFXIV, and Dark Souls 2, and I don't expect the later to be particularly demanding.

However, assuming I scrapped together $175USD for a new mid-range CPU, would it make that kind of difference? Or would I be better off saving my money until I could make a more comprehensive upgrade?

Edit: Yes, I'm quite astounded that Square's gotten this to run as well as it has on the PS3. It just shows you how far optimization will take you.

Echoplx

you were so right! it says they are set to power down 20 minutes after idle. this would certainly be the cause, right?

Yeah, I had the same problem a while back, apparently it can cause issues if you are constantly turning them off and on, so it's probably only a good idea to leave it on if you barely ever access those drives.

kharma45

Okay, first, quick update on things.

As per recommendations, I purchased a Coolermaster HyperEvo Plus, for my AMD Phenom II X4 3.4ghz CPU installed on my Gigabyte AM3 motherboard. Since then, I've managed to safely install it, and have overclocked my CPU to 4ghz, where it operates at about 36c idle and 45c under load. I am reluctant to overclock beyond those numbers, because I've not yet has an oppertunity to test the CPU under a sustained load, so I have no idea if those numbers will still look so good after 4-5 hours of strain.

I've also overclocked my AMD Radeon HD 6850, from 750mhz to 825mhz, and tested it under sustained load, where it seems stable. I've also tested it at Max overclock, where it ads another FPS or so, but on stock cooling I wouldn't trust it to stay cool after several hours.

Now, the game I'm most concerned about at this moment, is Final Fantasy XIV 2.0, Using the above components at these settings, I've been able to get the game to run anywhere from 24-35fps at 1080p at max settings, to 51-55fps at 720p.

This is about a 5-7 fps improvement on both settings, over when these same components were running at stock speeds.

Ideally though, I'd like to be able to run this one game at 1080p, at max settings, at 60fps. This is actually probably my biggest priority in gaming for the entire year.

What I would like to know, is if there is any singular component I could replace on my set-up, that'd allow me to do this. I can scrape together enough money to replace the CPU, GPU, or to add a boatload of memory, but I cannot afford to do all these things before the official launch.

Now, I've got to point out, than long term future compatibility, isn't a big issue. The PC is usually where I go to play games that're a year or three old, after they've been heavily discounted. The only titles coming out in the next year that I plan to pick up on PC, at launch, are FFXIV, and Dark Souls 2, and I don't expect the later to be particularly demanding.

However, assuming I scrapped together $175USD for a new mid-range CPU, would it make that kind of difference? Or would I be better off saving my money until I could make a more comprehensive upgrade?

That's a good overclock on your CPU. Judging by this GAF thread FF seems badly optimised http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=56458188

WolvenOne

That's a good overclock on your CPU. Judging by this GAF thread FF seems badly optimised http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=56458188

Not particularly well optimized, no. Assuming steady patching, and a couple years, I suspect that'll improve, but who knows by how much.

Also, that thread seems mostly to be commenting on the PS3 version. Considering how underpowered that hardware is by today's standards, I'm amazed its even playable on the platform.

Edit: Seems there are some complaints about the PC version running badly on hecka powerful systems as well. However, that mostly seems to be referring to one of the earlier beta's. Seeing as I'm getting better performance, on less powerful hardware, I'm assuming they have optimized a little since then.

RSTEIN

Got CPUID Hardware Monitor. While playing BF3 my max temp was 58 degrees. Is that good? I haven't overclocked yet.

aett

I finally got a SSD today. I thought that there would be a pretty simple way to clone or migrate just my Windows 7 installation over to the SSD from my HDD (sort of like using the Steam mover tool to transfer other programs), but I keep seeing different suggestions and instructions that sometimes conflict and I'm getting confused. Some people say it's better to just reinstall Windows on the SSD, which sounds like a hassle, but others say to just delete all the necessary personal files and applications to get your HDD down to the size of your SDD to just copy the entire thing over, which I don't want to do because I'm using 820 gigs of my 1TB HDD.

So, is there any way to just get my current installation of Windows 7 over to my SDD, or do I just need to install it from scratch?

Sober

I wonder if NCIX will ever give me my MSI Z87-G45 mobo. I ordered it on the 20th or so last month and my second order (case, hdd, sdd, gpu) that I ordered maybe a week later is ready to go.

Looks like I have to send some stern emails or something.

Roland1979

I finally got a SSD today. I thought that there would be a pretty simple way to clone or migrate just my Windows 7 installation over to the SSD from my HDD (sort of like using the Steam mover tool to transfer other programs), but I keep seeing different suggestions and instructions that sometimes conflict and I'm getting confused. Some people say it's better to just reinstall Windows on the SSD, which sounds like a hassle, but others say to just delete all the necessary personal files and applications to get your HDD down to the size of your SDD to just copy the entire thing over, which I don't want to do because I'm using 820 gigs of my 1TB HDD.

So, is there any way to just get my current installation of Windows 7 over to my SDD, or do I just need to install it from scratch?

Make a fresh install. Otherwise you risk running into problems sooner or later. Maybe you will get lucky but i personally don't have much faith in these kind of solutions. With a fresh installation you will notice the extra speed even more, clean up any malware you previously didn't detect. But make a list of all the software (and plugins, apps, extensions, toolbars, etc) you like so you can install it all in one go. Write down for which devices you need to install drivers and save you bookmarks/favorites and photo's and stuff like that in a separate map.

aett

Make a fresh install. Otherwise you risk running into problems sooner or later. Maybe you will get lucky but i personally don't have much faith in these kind of solutions. With a fresh installation you will notice the extra speed even more, clean up any malware you previously didn't detect. But make a list of all the software (and plugins, apps, extensions, toolbars, etc) you like so you can install it all in one go. Write down for which devices you need to install drivers and save you bookmarks/favorites and photo's and stuff like that in a separate map.

Okay, thank you. Not looking forward to installing drivers and such again but it'll be worth it.

Roland1979

Okay, thank you. Not looking forward to installing drivers and such again but it'll be worth it.

I know it's a pain but take the time, postpone it and do it on a Sunday if necessary, try to enjoy it, look forward to the benefits, drink a Pina Colada, put on some music whatever.
Reformatting HDDs is good anyways, not all malware/spyware/viruses get detected, this way you know for sure it's all clean. Just like surgery start with a sterile environment. Or something.

jfoul

I just finished up a i7 4770k build for my brother, and he gave me his old setup. I'm thinking about making an HTPC for the front room out of the parts.

It has a AMD Athlon X2 6400+, with a Radeon 4670. I'm thinking about dropping in a better videocard, but I don't want to waste money on a card that will be extremely bottlenecked. I was thinking about a Radeon 7750, any suggestions?

That's pretty much the exact build I'm looking at, with differences of case and monitor and no SSD. I'm also still debating with myself over the 7950 or the 760.

Remember you need an operating system, keyboard and mouse, and most likely some desk speakers to figure into the budget(if you're building from scratch).

I've got everything pretty much set with a cost at just over 900 pounds.

Its an expensive jump up to the next best card, though. I've already made the choice to go from the 7850/660 to the 7950/760 for not too big a premium, but going up from there and the cost/value starts to get pretty iffy for anybody who is trying to build something decent on a modest budget.

I'm hoping that playing at 1080p should mean I'll be ok for a little while at least. I'm also not a freak about needing max settings so have no problems needing to tweak things down a tad if necessary.

I wish they'd release Battlefield 4's recommended requirements, though, just to compare with BF3's to get an idea of how much more they're pushing things. That's basically the big game for me I want to be able to run well.

And as an aside, what do y'all expect will happen with SSD prices? From what I've read, they've basically stabilized and wil probably stay this way for a while, but should they continue to become more affordable over the next year? Two years? I'm probably gonna hold out on one until they seem better value for the capacity.

Glad to hear a few others are working off a similar build. Without going into too much detail I've costed it to be around £1000 inc. monitor, keyboard and mouse and a new window's licence so pretty happy with that outcome.
I can live with not playing to max settings on most games, I'll only have time to play a few hours a week but would rather spend that time on a PC instead of a console.

Similarly i may end up waiting until August / September until they announce BF4 requirements but can't see the 760 not giving reasonable enough performance :D

thefil

Hey guys,

I was in here about a month ago building a Mini-ITX machine for my girlfriend, and as of today all of she, me and the case are in the same place for the first time so we're moving forward.

I see that since then the Mini-ITX building guide has been updated. I'm looking at this:

We can't get that motherboard at our local shop, and that cooler looks like it's not going to be available any more either. I also seem to remember the prior guide recommending big, high-throughput fans with this case?

Basically, hoping for alternate mobo and cooling recommendations.

Actually, it looks like the only mobo we can get in-shop is this: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1207_1206_1201&item_id=060766. Are we going to be in trouble going with it?

thefil

How bad would it be to *not* do water cooling in an FT03-mini? I thought it had two fans, but now I see it only has one, which makes me worried...

*edit* After some discussion, we're just going to add the water cooling in and drop down to Ivy Bridge. How about those Haswell heat problems!

clav

You have to trim down the size of the original image in order to transfer. That means if you have a 256 GB SSD, you will have to cut the image size at least less than ~ 237 GB in order to transfer properly.

I've done it many times as I don't like reinstallations.

After cutting the current disk image size to less than your SSD's size with DIsk Management (right click computer -> manage -> disk management || search for it with the windows search), learn to create a 'system image disk' in Windows with an external hard drive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/back-up-your-programs-system-settings-and-files

Restore the system image onto the SSD using a Windows 7 (or 8 depending on what your setup is as you cannot mix/match the system image restoration disks even though they are the same program) repair tools that are on the setup DVD/USB. You have to boot the setup files as if you are installing Windows for the first time, but you can repair an installation and restore image disks through the 'repair' link.

Boot the computer with the SSD.

Expand the partition now on the SSD in Disk Management to obtain any remaining space.

Quake1028

Really liking the CM Storm Recon. Only two qualms with it:

1.I moved from an MX518 so I am not used to having forward/backward buttons on the right as well, since it is for lefties and righties. I had to turn them off for now, can't stop accidentally hitting them.

2.Took my MX518 to work and it feels slow as shit now, since the 518 is only 1800DPI at max and the Recon is 4000DPI.

Otherwise I love it. Love all the different colors I can change the LED's to as well. Really pleased for $34.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom