• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2UFNv
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2UFNv/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2UFNv/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£169.94 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£133.05 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£92.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£252.99 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor (£269.09 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1869DT1TX0CEU Tactical 8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3-1866 PC3-14900 Memory Module (£59.99)
Total: £1003.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-17 07:32 GMT+0000)

Is it worth he extra quid to get an i7? I don't mind paying a bit more tbh if it'll be worth it.

I've chosen the VG248QE for now due to the low response time compared to the other monitors in the 120.144 range.

Guys I've been a bit out of touch with the graphic cards recently and I'd like help choosing between two cards.

MSI R9 270X Gaming 4G

GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II

I game at 1080p, the 4GB of GDDR5 kinda makes me wonder if it makes the ATI card worth more than the GeForce one. Won't 2GB be less than ideal in the very near future?

The price is very close, the R9 270 is around 20€ cheaper here, so the price isn't a problem.

The 780s are about £100 more, is it just a marginal improvement between it and the 770s? Cause I don't feel it could be worth an extra £100.

mkenyon

Banned
The 780s are about £100 more, is it just a marginal improvement between it and the 770s? Cause I don't feel it could be worth an extra £100.
It has 3GB of memory and much higher memory bandwidth, which gives it quite a bit of longevity in comparison. It's a Titan with a few compute clusters disabled that performs totally on par with one in games.

It's definitely a much more powerful card, but you definitely pay for it. I didn't intend to say that you *should* upgrade to one, only that if you were looking to spend extra on the i7, that money is better served by being used for different purposes that would have immediate and noticeable benefits.

Guys I've been a bit out of touch with the graphic cards recently and I'd like help choosing between two cards.

MSI R9 270X Gaming 4G

GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II

I game at 1080p, the 4GB of GDDR5 kinda makes me wonder if it makes the ATI card worth more than the GeForce one. Won't 2GB be less than ideal in the very near future?

The price is very close, the R9 270 is around 20€ cheaper here, so the price isn't a problem.

GTX 760 is higher performing you definitely don't need 4GB for 1080P gaming right now.

Ok thanks, I may still stick with the 770k tbh but it's good to know either way.

I'm fairly happy with the build, will the crucial RAM be ok for me? Not really heard of the brand before but it is cheap and looks decent.

How worth is it to get amazing RAM?

Water

It's a significantly stronger gaming card. 30-50% more of every kind of performance, 50% more memory. The 770 is great, but I'd seriously consider the 780 if you intend to keep your card for a couple of years without upgrading.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Anyone have any experience with the tpu and epu switches on the Asus z87 motherboards? Are those switches something I should flip on after I've got the computer all set up and OS installed or better to just turn on at the on-set?

Dawg

I have a 770 with 2GB but that's still plenty for 1080P gaming anyway, right?

I only bought this card as a temporary solution until the GTX 880... I have a feeling it'll be glorious. At least I hope so :(

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have any experience with the tpu and epu switches on the Asus z87 motherboards? Are those switches something I should flip on after I've got the computer all set up and OS installed or better to just turn on at the on-set?
From what I understand, they're auto-overclocking features that adjust settings in BIOS. You could switch them on at any time.
I have a 770 with 2GB but that's still plenty for 1080P gaming anyway, right?

I only bought this card as a temporary solution until the GTX 880... I have a feeling it'll be glorious. At least I hope so :(
You're golden.

riflen

I have been running msi afterburner, it's always running. Can't really see much being utilised when I getting poor performance.

For ac4 I have turned every graphical setting and resolution to the lowest, hardly any CPU or gpu is being used but the frame rate is still in their 40's in populated areas where there's a lot on screen. Checked all cores and none go above 50%

That's a shame - mkenyon is probably right and frame-time analysis might be the only way to expose the problems you see. That test is beyond the means of most of us, but his statement about the 8350 is proven fact at this point.

It's unlikely that there's an issue in this area, but have you thoroughly checked your BIOS is configured optimally and that the PCI-E slot your GPU is using is running at full speed?

AC4 is a pile, so I wouldn't get too hung up on it as any indication of a problem with your hardware or system balance. If you scan the AC4 performance thread here you'll see people with more powerful machines having the same problems with that game.

CoLaN

Upgraded from an i5 750 to an i7 4770 with a Samsung 840 evo 250GB SSD (i will keep my 670 GTX since its still pretty good).

3 days to wait, i can't wait :D

I will use it for gaming and graphic design/video editing.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
That's a shame - mkenyon is probably right and frame-time analysis might be the only way to expose the problems you see. That test is beyond the means of most of us, but his statement about the 8350 is proven fact at this point.

It's unlikely that there's an issue in this area, but have you thoroughly checked your BIOS is configured optimally and that the PCI-E slot your GPU is using is running at full speed?

AC4 is a pile, so I wouldn't get too hung up on it as any indication of a problem with your hardware or system balance. If you scan the AC4 performance thread here you'll see people with more powerful machines having the same problems with that game.

I thought that about ac4 too but not being able to run need for speed rivals at 60fps and having to turn down settings in tomb raider and bioshock, it seems to happen on most games and I fear it's going to get worse with new games coming out. It seems to depend on draw distances, shadow and level of detail.

I have checked the bios, there's 2 pic slots, it's using pci e slot. There's not much else I can see.

I just wish I saw this site and thread before this pc was built.

GTX 760 is higher performing you definitely don't need 4GB for 1080P gaming right now.

Cheers, I'll go with the GTX 760 probably. Would you guys say this card can hold on decently for about a year? Wouldn't want to have to upgrade until January next year +/-, where I'll most probably upgrade the rest of the PC entirely.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
What's the benefit of going with a Haswell chip over an Ivy Bridge? I haven't built a new PC since 2008 so I'm totally out of the loop on what I'd need to make a decent gaming rig. I'm seeing that the Geforce 760 seems to be the go to video card right now as well?

Geneijin

You could try a system restore back before that and the other PCI-E slot on your motherboard. Replug your power connections as well.
Edit: Thanks for the advice. I think I need to mess with my GPU settings first before rushing to conclusions. It seems that my GPU has options for display corruptions if I'm using DVI, which I was using, not HDMI.

riflen

I thought that about ac4 too but not being able to run need for speed rivals at 60fps and having to turn down settings in tomb raider and bioshock, it seems to happen on most games and I fear it's going to get worse with new games coming out. It seems to depend on draw distances, shadow and level of detail.

I have checked the bios, there's 2 pic slots, it's using pci e slot. There's not much else I can see.

I just wish I saw this site and thread before this pc was built.

OK. You can try installing GPU-Z which is a small utility that should plainly state what speed the PCI-E interface is running at. According to specs for your board, your GPU should be in slot 2 or 3 for the best performance (x16).

"Slots- 3 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (PCIE2/PCIE3 @ x16 mode; PCIE4 @ x4 mode)
- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slot
- 2 x PCI slots"

bro1

Banned
2 questions for you guys.

1. I have a 128 Samsung 830 SSD and a 250 840 EVO. Which should be the bootdrive?

2. I have a Corsair Carbride R300 case. It comes with an intake and an outake fan. I have an Hyper 212 for CPU and 2 MSI GTX 770 Twin Fozer cards for the GPUs. I just got 3 new Noctura fans. Should I replace my exsisting case fans or add these to the mix? Also, is there an easy way to hook up the fan to the mobo? those tiny pins!!

mkenyon

Banned
2 questions for you guys.

1. I have a 128 Samsung 830 SSD and a 250 840 EVO. Which should be the bootdrive?

2. I have a Corsair Carbride R300 case. It comes with an intake and an outake fan. I have an Hyper 212 for CPU and 2 MSI GTX 770 Twin Fozer cards for the GPUs. I just got 3 new Noctura fans. Should I replace my exsisting case fans or add these to the mix? Also, is there an easy way to hook up the fan to the mobo? those tiny pins!!
1) However you want.

2) What kind of Noctua fans? Most beneficial setup for those three will be one intake in the front, one intake on the side, and one exhaust out the back, with the Hyper 212 pointing in the same direction.
Use FRAPS and this. Does everything for you, easy peasy. Not quite as accurate as FCAT, but also more accurate in some ways, especially in terms of feel.
What's the benefit of going with a Haswell chip over an Ivy Bridge? I haven't built a new PC since 2008 so I'm totally out of the loop on what I'd need to make a decent gaming rig. I'm seeing that the Geforce 760 seems to be the go to video card right now as well?
Emulation and 6-10% boost in performance, clock for clock.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, well here's what I'm looking at picking up. Please yell at me if I'm doing something stupid. I'm looking to be able to play games at 1080p/60fps for the next 2-4 years with this thing. Do I need to go up a level in the video card? Jump to an i7 chip?

- Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
- ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
- CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (x2, I want 16 gigs of RAM for Photoshop and Maya)
- SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

I will be reusing my case, power supply (Corsair 850W), 1TB drive (for storage), and Blu Ray drive.

jonno394

Your cpu and motherboard are different sockets ( 1155 vs 1150). You should be looking for a z87 motherboard with a 1150 socket.

Big Chungus

Using an old video card in my new pc build, there seems to be a lot of caked on dust in the fan and canned air doesnt help. What else can I try?

b0bbyJ03

Hey everyone, I've been a console gamer for pretty much all my life and decided recently I'm finally gonna jump into the PC gaming world. Figured this would be a good thread to ask some questions since it seems there are a lot of people here with experience.

So earlier today i was looking at Alienware and Origin PCs just to get an idea of what is out there and i noticed that the prices can get pretty high (for the record im willing to spend around $1500).

If there is anyone out there that doesn't mind, I'd like to get some of the pros and cons of building vs buying. Form factor is somewhat important to me as well considering that I live in a small apartment in NYC and I'll be connecting the PC to my TV since i dont have space for a computer desk so it will be out in the open for all to see.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Robert7lee

Neo Member
OK. You can try installing GPU-Z which is a small utility that should plainly state what speed the PCI-E interface is running at. According to specs for your board, your GPU should be in slot 2 or 3 for the best performance (x16).

"Slots- 3 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (PCIE2/PCIE3 @ x16 mode; PCIE4 @ x4 mode)
- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slot
- 2 x PCI slots"

Ok. Not sure where I' looking, in main board tab on CPU-z grapic interface section
Version PCI-Express
Link width x16
Max supported x16

Is this what you meant?

appaws

Banned
Hey everyone, I've been a console gamer for pretty much all my life and decided recently I'm finally gonna jump into the PC gaming world. Figured this would be a good thread to ask some questions since it seems there are a lot of people here with experience.

So earlier today i was looking at Alienware and Origin PCs just to get an idea of what is out there and i noticed that the prices can get pretty high (for the record im willing to spend around $1500).

If there is anyone out there that doesn't mind, I'd like to get some of the pros and cons of building vs buying. Form factor is somewhat important to me as well considering that I live in a small apartment in NYC and I'll be connecting the PC to my TV since i dont have space for a computer desk so it will be out in the open for all to see.

1, Study the OP like the Torah
2. Maybe a small form factor build, like the one in the OP. (Hint, Hint) I'll let others advise you about that. You can get great stuff into a small case these days. A Nice 360 controller and Big Picture Mode on steam and you are good to go.

The advantages of building your own PC are:
1. $$$. You can save some cash, and get better performance for whatever your budget is.
2. Fun. I find building and setting up a PC to be totally easy and fun. I believe there are videos in the OP (hint, hint) and a very good one at Techreport.com that show you how to do it.
3. It's cool to have it be YOURS. You put it together, so you know it better than anyone, and you know how everything works, etc.
4. You have this thread, which is the best resource on the net for building a PC.

jonno394

D'oh, I switched the chip from an i7 to i5 and forgot about the mobo, thank you!!!!

No worries :) also with your 1080p/60fps for current and future gaming requirements id suggest a 770/280x as a bare minimum. I'm on a 280x but I know I'll probably have to upgrade it next year if I want to keep things on high/ultra and hit 60fps. The Witcher 3 will demand my upgrade lol.

mkenyon

Banned

Talking about SFF (small form factor) Prebuilt vs. SFF DIY

SFF Prebuilt Pros:

1. You don't have to build it.
  2. If something goes wrong, you can call someone on the phone to help you fix it, or send it into them without having to open it.

SFF Prebuilt Cons:

1. You spend a significant amount of money compared to DIY.
  2. You might have to send in the whole computer to have it fixed.
  3. Less modular.
  4. Fewer upgrade options.
  5. Probably louder.

SFF DIY Pros:

1. You build your own system, gain knowledge of what everything is, and slowly gain knowledge of how to fix and upgrade it.
  2. Can use GAF as an amazing resource for fixing it.
  3. You spend less money for more power.
  4. You can custom tailor your chassis, noise signature, and performance to be exactly what you want.

SFF DIY Cons:

1. You have to build it yourself.

Being SFF, you could probably get someone on GAF to build if for you and ship it out if you really don't want to build it. I could do such a thing.

*edit*

Basically, just take a look at what you're getting in your price range from one of those companies, and then compare it to the SFF builds, which is the third post in this thread.
Using an old video card in my new pc build, there seems to be a lot of caked on dust in the fan and canned air doesnt help. What else can I try?
Take it out, and use some cotton swabs.

I have a Core i5 machine with 8GB of RAM sitting in it with no video card right now. I was building a PC rig a few years ago when financial woes struck.

I'm looking to hook it up to my new TV. What card is going to get me the best bang for my buck for 1080p gaming?

riflen

Ok. Not sure where I' looking, in main board tab on CPU-z grapic interface section
Version PCI-Express
Link width x16
Max supported x16

Is this what you meant?

Yes, that's what I meant. Looks like your GPU is in the right slot. Sorry, it was a long shot.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
No worries :) also with your 1080p/60fps for current and future gaming requirements id suggest a 770/280x as a bare minimum. I'm on a 280x but I know I'll probably have to upgrade it next year if I want to keep things on high/ultra and hit 60fps. The Witcher 3 will demand my upgrade lol.
Thanks for the advice, here's my updated specs

- Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
- ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
- CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (x2, I want 16 gigs of RAM for Photoshop and Maya)
- SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- GIGABYTE GV-N770OC-2GD GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready WindForce 3X 450W Video Card

mkenyon

Banned
I'd suggest doing that eventually (it's easy, the motherboard and chips are designed for it), but the only point of getting one of the coolers in the OP in your case would then be to reduce noise.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
Yes, that's what I meant. Looks like your GPU is in the right slot. Sorry, it was a long shot.

I was just getting frame times on fraps for need for speed rivals when I noticed that during the huge frame rate drops in that game the memory clock MHz would stay at 3305 in that time and gpu usage at 52%....

I wonder what kind of of pc can run this at 60fps

mkenyon

Banned
I was just getting frame times on fraps for need for speed rivals when I noticed that during the huge frame rate drops in that game the memory clock MHz would stay at 3305 in that time and gpu usage at 52%....

Basically what is going on is that when a game is requiring a processor to deliver things at a very speedy pace, which requires a high IPC (instructions per clock), then the AMD processor basically fails to deliver.

fc3-fx.png

fc3-3770.png

fc3-99th.png

fc3-17ms.png

Figured I would ask the question here since it's been running through my mind for a while now.

I've been thinking about upgrading my PC for a while now, and I was going to start with my video card first. My specs are here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2V1tn

I guess I have two questions then: Should I upgrade my CPU first or my graphics card and can I get away with getting one of the newer graphics cards with the power supply that I have or should I buy a new one as well?

Any help at all would be great. Thanks guys.

Edit: Should mention that the video card is the 1GB version of that model. Not the 2GB, since I couldn't find it on the list. Discontinued, probably...

riflen

Are your temperatures sensible? The GPU has a temp target and it will throttle itself if the threshold is reached.

mkenyon

Banned
Figured I would ask the question here since it's been running through my mind for a while now.

I've been thinking about upgrading my PC for a while now, and I was going to start with my video card first. My specs are here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2V1tn

I guess I have two questions then: Should I upgrade my CPU first or my graphics card and can I get away with getting one of the newer graphics cards with the power supply that I have or should I buy a new one as well?

Any help at all would be great. Thanks guys.
I wouldn't really recommend going any higher than something like the GTX 760/770, which is a good but not huge jump over your 7850.

With the CPU, you could just pop in a 3570K. I'd almost suggest trying to score a used one from Hardforum or Overclock.net. The warranty is by serial #, so you're pretty well covered there. However, if you were to get both a 3570K and a 760/770, I'd highly suggest getting a new PSU. If you were to do just one of those (and I'd suggest going for the video card for a more appreciable difference), then your PSU will be fine.

i haven't built a PC since warcraft 3 came out. but the rest of my setup is pretty damn good now, and I'm looking at adding a PC into the mix. I currently have a ps3, ps4, 55" LED 3dtv, good surround sound, etc...

Keeping in mind that I'll be playing at a max of 1080p, is the "great" build from the OP suitable to play games like the witcher, starcraft 2, etc... at 1080p on high settings at a decent frame rate?

i don't need 4k at 120 fps or anything, looking for a good mix of price/performance, which it looks like that one has. I'll also be doing a bit of media server/streaming on it so keeping the power draw lower is a plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom