• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Okay gaf, I'm going to need a computer soon, and figured this is as good a time as any to invest. I need to make incremental purchases to eventually complete something, so for now, excess RAM, Graphics cards (going to use onboard for a bit sadly), and luxuries like SSD's are shelved for now. I'm thinking the one area I absolutely cannot skimp on now (for the sake of future upgrades) is the motherboard. I was looking at the guide and would like some input regarding the jump from Great to Excellent regarding motherboards. What are some prominent features I should/could be looking for regarding Mobo's?

SSDs are not a luxury - they are a necessity. We also never recommend excess RAM and builds can be tailored to almost every budget. Where are you, what are you wanting to do and how much are you looking to spend? Fill out the survey in the OP.

As well, 'not skimping' on motherboard isn't as important as it used to be. The differences between a $120 motherboard and a $300 motherboard are usually not noticed by most people. (They include the ability to put 3 or 4 video cards, better onboard sound, more power controls for extreme overclocking (talking liquid nitrogen kinda stuff) and fancy colours).

How much more demanding is AC4 compared to AC3? I can play AC3 at max everything @ 1080p and it runs at 60 fps almost always on a 770gtx with a 4770k yet the opening of AC4 seems to be all over the place.

SSDs are not a luxury - they are a necessity. We also never recommend excess RAM and builds can be tailored to almost every budget. Where are you, what are you wanting to do and how much are you looking to spend? Fill out the survey in the OP.

As well, 'not skimping' on motherboard isn't as important as it used to be. The differences between a $120 motherboard and a $300 motherboard are usually not noticed by most people. (They include the ability to put 3 or 4 video cards, better onboard sound, more power controls for extreme overclocking (talking liquid nitrogen kinda stuff) and fancy colours).

Excellent, I agree that SSD's are amazing, but for now I just can't spend it, it'll be soon after though. I need a computer for gaming eventually, I'm not the craziest fan of overclocking (at least to the point where I need to start worrying about advanced cooling solutions. For now I just need a functioning computer capable of streaming video and browsing the web, maybe gaming on a smaller indie front (eventually high end stuff). I'm not too worried about SLI/Crossfire, but would like proper sound, (although I suppose a dedicated sound card would be better suited.

Thanks for the response by the way, it kinda helped me re-evaluate some aspects lol. Mobo's just happen to be a glaring omission of my limited PC knowledge.

kennah

Onboard sound has come a long way. And if you are connecting over hdmi you don't need a dedicated sound card. You only neeeeed a sound card if you are using audiophile grade headphones or studio monitor level speakers.

And the SSD is for every day usage stuff. Provides minimal advantage in games but makes EVERYTHING else in the computer faster.

I'd argue towards getting an SSD and then adding a hard drive, rather than the other way around.

Again - let us know your budget and where you are.

KTT

Excellent, I agree that SSD's are amazing, but for now I just can't spend it, it'll be soon after though. I need a computer for gaming eventually, I'm not the craziest fan of overclocking (at least to the point where I need to start worrying about advanced cooling solutions. For now I just need a functioning computer capable of streaming video and browsing the web, maybe gaming on a smaller indie front (eventually high end stuff). I'm not too worried about SLI/Crossfire, but would like proper sound, (although I suppose a dedicated sound card would be better suited.

Thanks for the response by the way, it kinda helped me re-evaluate some aspects lol. Mobo's just happen to be a glaring omission of my limited PC knowledge.

Do you live near a MicroCenter? And throw a number out for your budget. Are you talking like $300? $500? Be specific and we can be specific back :) Also, when do you want to have it up and running by?

Okay gaf, I'm going to need a computer soon, and figured this is as good a time as any to invest. I need to make incremental purchases to eventually complete something, so for now, excess RAM, Graphics cards (going to use onboard for a bit sadly), and luxuries like SSD's are shelved for now. I'm thinking the one area I absolutely cannot skimp on now (for the sake of future upgrades) is the motherboard. I was looking at the guide and would like some input regarding the jump from Great to Excellent regarding motherboards. What are some prominent features I should/could be looking for regarding Mobo's?

smh.

Hopefully one day this sentiment will die.

Also the mobo is the wrong part to be worrying about "skimping" imo (i would place the PSU higher) since the mobos out there are good enough and starts to change once you need some extra features and/or dealing with overclocking

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm looking between $500-$600 to start. And unfortunately not near a Microcenter. Fry's / Bestbuy / anything online is what I have access to.

smh.

Hopefully one day this sentiment will die.

Also the mobo is the wrong part to be worrying about "skimping" imo (i would place the PSU higher) since the mobos out there are good enough and starts to change once you need some extra features and/or dealing with overclocking

To be honest, I was really only worried about motherboards from a time long ago, and it's a component I haven't kept up much with, so my lack of knowledge got the better of me :p A good PSU is basically a must lol, not huge into overclocking because I worry about components, a bad psu could be disastrous.

Onboard sound has come a long way. And if you are connecting over hdmi you don't need a dedicated sound card. You only neeeeed a sound card if you are using audiophile grade headphones or studio monitor level speakers.

And the SSD is for every day usage stuff. Provides minimal advantage in games but makes EVERYTHING else in the computer faster.

I'd argue towards getting an SSD and then adding a hard drive, rather than the other way around.

Again - let us know your budget and where you are.

If the recommendations are that strong for one, I could probably opt to make it my main drive for now, I don't need my computer for anything too taxing regarding space. Graphics card will come later, and with it, bigger games and more need for space, but for now I could do without massive storage, and the speed would be nice.

KTT

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm looking between $500-$600 to start. And unfortunately not near a Microcenter. Fry's / Bestbuy / anything online is what I have access to.

To be honest, I was really only worried about motherboards from a time long ago, and it's a component I haven't kept up much with, so my lack of knowledge got the better of me :p A good PSU is basically a must lol, not huge into overclocking because I worry about components, a bad psu could be disastrous.

If the recommendations are that strong for one, I could probably opt to make it my main drive for now, I don't need my computer for anything too taxing regarding space. Graphics card will come later, and with it, bigger games and more need for space, but for now I could do without massive storage, and the speed would be nice.

Again, when are you planning on having the build completed? If it's a month+ down the line, you can start keeping your eyes peeled for RAM/PSU/Case deals, etc. If you'd like to have it running two weeks from now, that changes things a bit.

pilferk

Neo Member
Ok...I have a question.

I'm moving a hard drive with an oem version of win 7 to my new build (from a 4 year old dell studio). I realize it's likely not going to function, even generalizing the system, due to the oem activation restrictions.

Thinking of upgrading to win 8.1, anyway.

So....if I buy a win 8.1 upgrade, move the generalized drive over to the new build, boot from the new win 8 cd....will it accept the oem win 7 already installed as a valid upgrade?

Or should I just buy a win 7 retail key from reddit?

Thanks!

Any insight on this?

Or am I completely out in left field?

Again, when are you planning on having the build completed? If it's a month+ down the line, you can start keeping your eyes peeled for RAM/PSU/Case deals, etc. If you'd like to have it running two weeks from now, that changes things a bit.

I'm thinking about 3 months out. I'd like to have it started before Summer. So I'll be watching like a hawk :p

kennah

I'm thinking about 3 months out. I'd like to have it started before Summer. So I'll be watching like a hawk :p

That's great. You can keep an eye out for sales and jump on components as they are cheap. SSDs are very requently $75 for example. Awesome power supplies are frequently 50-60. Cases drop now and then.

That's great. You can keep an eye out for sales and jump on components as they are cheap. SSDs are very requently $75 for example. Awesome power supplies are frequently 50-60. Cases drop now and then.

Ant sites in particular that you recommend keeping tabs on? I try to avoid Ebay like the plague (couldn't for the life of me tell you why), but frequent Newegg / Amazon. (anything not in the OP)

kennah

Ant sites in particular that you recommend keeping tabs on? I try to avoid Ebay like the plague (couldn't for the life of me tell you why), but frequent Newegg / Amazon. (anything not in the OP)

newegg amazon ncix microcenter are the big ones. Sign up for the newegg newsletter. Lots of good deals in there. Keep an eye on this thread - great deals are posted. The BST thread in Community is also good if used parts are a possibility (I personally use mostly used parts)

Seanspeed

Banned
I've gotta disagree with this.

Onboard sound is certainly passable, but you hardly need audiophile headphones or top end speakers to benefit from a dedicated sound card.

I'd say if you're a sound enthusiast to any degree, even a cheaper sound card will probably improve things a good deal. I mean, if you're on a budget, by all means don't worry about it, but as somebody who enjoys music, movies and games, my £25 Xonar DGX was probably one of the best bang-for-buck improvements I've made.

newegg amazon ncix microcenter are the big ones. Sign up for the newegg newsletter. Lots of good deals in there. Keep an eye on this thread - great deals are posted. The BST thread in Community is also good if used parts are a possibility (I personally use mostly used parts)

Excellent idea, I'll sign up (don't know why I haven't already)

Onboard sound is certainly passable, but you hardly need audiophile headphones or top end speakers to benefit from a dedicated sound card.

I'd say if you're a sound enthusiast to any degree, even a cheaper sound card will probably improve things a good deal. I mean, if you're on a budget, by all means don't worry about it, but as somebody who enjoys music, movies and games, my £25 Xonar DGX was probably one of the best bang-for-buck improvements I've made.

This was one thing I was worried about, I do eventually want a proper surround sound headphone setup, so I was worried about possibly needing a proper sound card, but most boards I imagine have space for one lol.

So I just got my tax return back, and I'm looking to build my (first) gaming PC. I've had these parts picked out for about a month now, I'm probably gonna order them in the next couple days. Everything look okay?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H mATX
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
GPU: Asus GTX 760 2GB
Power Supply: EVGA 100-B1-0500-KR 500W
Case: Corsair 350D

I'm mostly worried if everything will fit in the case (RAM is so confusing to me...), and if a 500W PSU is enough to power all of this. Any suggestions/changes?

mkenyon

Banned
Any insight on this?

Or am I completely out in left field?
You're good to go. That should work out fine.
So I just got my tax return back, and I'm looking to build my (first) gaming PC. I've had these parts picked out for about a month now, I'm probably gonna order them in the next couple days. Everything look okay?

I'm mostly worried if everything will fit in the case (RAM is so confusing to me...), and if a 500W PSU is enough to power all of this. Any suggestions/changes?
Solid. In theory, I'm not fond of spending that much more on the case when you don't have a Z87 motherboard or K processor, but I definitely get the allure of a decent chassis.

The motherboard does fit in the case, the memory works with the motherboard, and the PSU is plenty powerful enough.

Rubius

So, I bought my new PC. I pretty much bought piece by piece what the Enthuniast guide told me, but with a 780.
7SAs2C1.png

And I tried Borderland 2 on Max with Physyx on Max and got a result of this in combat setting.
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
3958, 60000,...............44, 87, ...65.967

I know that Physyx is a graphic card killer, but I can live with drops to 44 in a intense combat fight.
Any good game for benchmark purposes? I heard Metro Last light was pretty good.

Also, I nearly got an earth attack when I put in my CPU and closed the socket and heard a twisting metal noise. I think it was just the socket handle but I checked and double checked my CPU and it was the only way to put it in so. But hey it work fine so I'm okay with that.

Got Windows 8.1, pretty weird to use for the moment. Had a ton of Blue screen of death in both installs, so I was up until 2 in the morning trying to repair this. I also formatted my 3TB external instead of partitionned my 2TB internal. Tried to recover the data, but nope. Not a big deal, only had music on it and Steam games. It was really stressfull but it runs really well right now. Was not able to install the Fractal fans to the fan controller, it didnt work. So I used the CPU ports instead.

Stubo

Listen to this man!

Great sound card, especially for headphones because of the built in headphone amp!

kiyomi

4570 is cheaper; http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=81329&vpn=BX80646I54570&manufacture=Intel&promoid=1253

Get yourself some low-profile RAM and save yourself $5. http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=92691&promoid=1253

mkenyon

Banned
So, I bought my new PC. I pretty much bought piece by piece what the Enthuniast guide told me, but with a 780.

And I tried Borderland 2 on Max with Physyx on Max and got a result of this in combat setting.

I know that Physyx is a graphic card killer, but I can live with drops to 44 in a intense combat fight.
Any good game for benchmark purposes? I heard Metro Last light was pretty good.
Different games will be a good benchmark for different purposes. BL2 is a great way to see improvements when you overclock your processor, which I definitely suggest you do. Metro won't really care, and is all about GPU raw power.

In either case, Min/Max/Avg FPS is a good way to get a really rough idea of how your PC is performing, but not really accurate enough to warrant analysis.

I personally like using Firestrike on 3DMark as their implementation of the score system allows for a leaderboard that makes it a game in and of itself.

KTT

Check slickdeals.net maybe once a day. They post a lot of deals on computer parts (video cards, PSUs, cases, RAM, accessories, etc.. not so much CPUs and mobos, but definitely worth bookmarking).

Also, people post deals in here every now and then. In fact, the Corsair 200R is still on sale for $30, and it might be a nice case to fit a situation like yours. Here's the link:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4907301&CatId=1509

PrinceKee

Okay here's my build. It's a little more than the $500 Xbox One/PS4 performance price I was going for. Went with the Intel Core i3-4130 instead of the Intel G3220 2C/2T. I don't know if the price difference is worth it. Hell I don't know wtf I'm really doing lol. Do I need the 8GB of RAM or is the 4GB good enough for a budget gaming build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ZUsk

yasu151

Hello everyone! I’m quite outside my comfort zone posting, well, anything, but I’d be remiss not to thank all of you for everything. I’ve read this forum from page one, and have slowly built a pc over the past 4 months. (Spec’s are very closely aligned to the ‘excellent’ build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2VE4n .)

I cannot believe how much fun I’ve had slowly tinkering with every aspect of this project. From selecting the individual components to exploring overclocking for the first time, its simply been a blast. I’d never used an SSD before, and it was every bit as phenomenal as you all have alluded to. I have yet to actually even play a game on it; there’s so much to tweak and enjoy. The only regret I have so far is purchasing a Windows 7 OEM on Amazon; had I everything to do over again I’d definitely see what I could find on reddit. However, that too may be a fun adventure as I’m considering windows 8 for a different build.

To Haz & Kharma, I’ve explored every link you’ve posted for pretty much all recommendations you’ve had. The time you’ve spent building this thread coupled with the responses you’ve provided have been invaluable. Thank you (and everyone else who's posted) for everything.

KTT

Okay here's my build. It's a little more than the $500 Xbox One/PS4 performance price I was going for. Went with the Intel Core i3-4130 instead of the Intel G3220 2C/2T. I don't know if the price difference is worth it. Hell I don't know wtf I'm really doing lol. Do I need the 8GB of RAM or is the 4GB good enough for a budget gaming build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ZUsk

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16814202081&cm_sp=

Get your 260X from there. Cheaper and it comes with 2 games (including Thief). You can also find a set of 2x4GB RAM for the the same/less price than what you have picked out there, and 2x4GB performs better than 1x8GB. Reconsider that copy of Windows 7... ctrl+f this thread and search reddit (might have to go back a page or two). People sell legit keys for WAY cheaper than that.

EDIT: But you might want to consider ordering that 260X pretty soon. It's been on sale for a while and I'm not sure when it expires. If that's the card you've decided on, you're not gonna fine a better deal on it anytime soon.

Check slickdeals.net maybe once a day. They post a lot of deals on computer parts (video cards, PSUs, cases, RAM, accessories, etc.. not so much CPUs and mobos, but definitely worth bookmarking).

Also, people post deals in here every now and then. In fact, the Corsair 200R is still on sale for $30, and it might be a nice case to fit a situation like yours. Here's the link:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4907301&CatId=1509

Bought :p You are all Gods/Goddesses among men. Thank you kindly! (a friend was going to give me this case a while back ago but it was in pretty rough shape lol)

Getting ready to pull the trigger. Here is what I have at amazon. I live in kansas city, so pretty close to a microcenter. Are there any deals or other things i should consider before pulling the trigger? I have $500 worth of points at amazon, so i'd like to spend about that much there...but anywhere else i should look for deals?

KTT

Getting ready to pull the trigger. Here is what I have at amazon. I live in kansas city, so pretty close to a microcenter. Are there any deals or other things i should consider before pulling the trigger? I have $500 worth of points at amazon, so i'd like to spend about that much there...but anywhere else i should look for deals?

Don't pull the trigger yet. You're not planning on getting your CPU/mobo from somewhere besides MicroCenter are you...? Even if you've got Amazon credit, it doesn't make sense to pay way more than you need to. Save it and use it for something later. Or for other parts. Which parts are you getting from where?

Don't pull the trigger yet. You're not planning on getting your CPU/mobo from somewhere besides MicroCenter are you...? Even if you've got Amazon credit, it doesn't make sense to pay way more than you need to. Save it and use it for something later. Or for other parts. Which parts are you getting from where?

That is what I'm needing to figure out. I need to spend some time and see where i can save the most.

PrinceKee

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16814202081&cm_sp=

Get your 260X from there. Cheaper and it comes with 2 games (including Thief). You can also find a set of 2x4GB RAM for the the same/less price than what you have picked out there, and 2x4GB performs better than 1x8GB. Reconsider that copy of Windows 7... ctrl+f this thread and search reddit (might have to go back a page or two). People sell legit keys for WAY cheaper than that.

EDIT: But you might want to consider ordering that 260X pretty soon. It's been on sale for a while and I'm not sure when it expires. If that's the card you've decided on, you're not gonna fine a better deal on it anytime soon.

Wow Thanks. Guess I'll get a Win8 Key. I'm not sure about the 260X or the 265 when it comes out...

EDIT: I take it people from GAF have used this guy?

http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswap/comments/1yqfgr/h_windows_81_professional_81_standard_8/

jd78

Neo Member

A couple things... You have notebook memory selected, should be desktop memory. Also, the case is backordered at Amazon. You could order it from Newegg right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163252

Whilst I have been waiting for a release date for the R7 265 it has given me too much time to keep changing my mind with things.

I am trying to save money where I can so was wondering if scaling down from a i5-4440 to a i3-4130 is wise. I will be pairing it with either a 750ti or R7 265. Early into next year this GPU will be replaced by my existing GTX670 from another computer.

Will the i3-4130 act as a bottleneck now and into the future? I can save around £50 by opting for the i3 but I don't want my gaming experience to be impacted by skimping on the CPU.

Bundle your mobo at Microcenter as well for a $30 discount.

Basically, there's almost no reason for you to get your CPU and/or mobo from anywhere but Microcenter

EDIT:
Also, consider this 450W PSU from the link Kharma shared. Idk how much the one you have selected right now is, but this one's $25!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

Getting mobo and CPU at microcenter, thanks! Do you know if that PSU will fit in the case? I think the reason it was recommended was because the SFF case

jd78

Neo Member
I thought that case only supported notebook memory? I do notice i have desktop HDD and notebook SSD

The case doesn't have anything to do with what memory you use, it would be the motherboard and it has standard desktop memory slots (240pin). The case could limit you to 2.5" drives (i.e. notebook HDDs and SSDs), but this case (according to the specs) allows for one 3.5" drive (i.e. normal desktop drive).

KTT

NoRéN;102250499 said:
Needs an sfx psu.

Oh, you're right. I didn't get far enough down to see the case before I decided to stop him from ordering the CPU from amazon, haha. Oops. Gotta be more careful..

Getting mobo and CPU at microcenter, thanks! Do you know if that PSU will fit in the case? I think the reason it was recommended was because the SFF case

I edited that post. Don't get the PSU I linked to, as it won't fit.

LegoDad

So I have been looking for a new mouse and keyboard as I've started to dread my 3 year old keyboard.

I just bought the eSports Mechanical mechanical keyboard for $70 and now looking for a mouse that's great for every day use and also for gaming, more than likely FPS or RTS.

Any recommendations on this? Keep seeing the Corsair M65 be brought up around the internet and wanted some thoughts from GAF. Thanks in advance.

KTT

So I have been looking for a new mouse and keyboard as I've started to dread my 3 year old keyboard.

I just bought the eSports Mechanical mechanical keyboard for $70 and now looking for a mouse that's great for every day use and also for gaming, more than likely FPS or RTS.

Any recommendations on this? Keep seeing the Corsair M65 be brought up around the internet and wanted some thoughts from GAF. Thanks in advance.

I've only heard good things about the Steelseries Rival. Worth checking out.

NoRéN

from the OP:

[ERGONOMIC AND MMO MICE]
For those that value comfort and extra buttons over a precise sensor.

The Recon has the best sensor and firmware here, and is a great value. The M65 has good build quality and an aluminum frame, a great choice if you have larger hands. The M95's side button layout is the best of the MMO oriented mice. G700s is the only wireless mouse listed here.

The case doesn't have anything to do with what memory you use, it would be the motherboard and it has standard desktop memory slots (240pin). The case could limit you to 2.5" drives (i.e. notebook HDDs and SSDs), but this case (according to the specs) allows for one 3.5" drive (i.e. normal desktop drive).

Ah thanks for pointing that out! do you have a recommendation? or would these work
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037TO5C0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mkenyon

Banned

Get the Steelseries Rival. Right now, there is no mouse that is better. Zero interpolation, zero acceleration, amazing ergonomics. It's the best mouse, by a really long mile.

The M65 has some fairly heavy interpolation. If you open up paint with it, and try to draw a circle as fast as you can, it actually ends up being a square.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom