• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I want to keep using the same HDD I've had for a few years and transplant it into a new machine. Are there concerns I should have about moving it into a new machine, particularly in regards to changing chipsets?
Only if it has your windows partition on it. If you do, you will need to format it. It is possible to do some Frankensteinesque maneuver to get all the drivers to work properly, but it's a massive headache, even for someone with the knowledge how to do it. If it has no system files on it, or will not act as your main partition you're OK. If it's the latter, make sure to not plug it in until your main hard drive is set up with whatever OS you're going with.

appaws

Banned
I swear browsing for PC parts for the PC I plan to build is addictive. I think I kinda see how graphic card numbering works as well as realised how truly awful graphics card and motherboard art is. So far i am thinking, (I am on my phone and going from memory)
I am thinking of an amd motherboard that's £40
Amd 8350 4ghz £90-100
A gtx 650 or hd7770 £70-90. I don't know whatever is the best thing I can get for a £60-110 budget
Ram £40ish for 8gb Ddr3
Case and 500 w PSU £30
Windows key £25

I don't wanna spend more than £250-£310. I hope I can get something that can be easily upgraded, similarly powered to the ps4, kinda future proof. What do you think of my expectations and sample build?

I recommend studying the OP, there is so much info there. Start with the "good" build, that seems about your price range if I am figuring my John Bull-Uncle Sam ratio correctly.

Does anyone know when we will start seeing GTX 800 series cards?

Aside from the aforementioned conference speculation pegs it at the end of Q2 this year, maybe Q3. They have already started selling Maxwell-based cards, so I doubt it will be a very long time--wouldn't be surprised if it was sooner than people think. I just can't wait for high end cards performing past Titan levels while using half as much power. Should be exciting.

TheCloser

Banned
Aside from the aforementioned conference speculation pegs it at the end of Q2 this year, maybe Q3. They have already started selling Maxwell-based cards, so I doubt it will be a very long time--wouldn't be surprised if it was sooner than people think. I just can't wait for high end cards performing past Titan levels while using half as much power. Should be exciting.

Any rumors on the performance gains? I still haven't bought a gpu because i'm waiting on the 800 series. If the performance gains are minimal, i will probably just buy a 700 series gpu.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Do you guys know of any places where you can get replacement screens?

There is a Dell U2312HM at my work with a broken screen. If it's repairable for a reasonable amount I am going to ask if I can have it before they trash it.

KTT

So what is the best sub $100 card?

I've been trying to use the guide but I think what I need is a bit different from Haz guide. Aiming for around $500 without windows, doesn't need to be overclocked capable.

The 260x can be had for right around 100... maybe look into something like that?

zbarron

I've never jumped on the SSD train before but I'm starting to consider it. The thing is I rarely restart my computer and all the files I use most are preloaded in my RAM so I'm not expecting much improvement at all with general use. That leaves games. Will I see any performance benefits? I've heard of it increasing minimum fps, reducing frame times and smoothing out gameplay and reducing load times. I was curious what of any of this is noticeably true. Here are my specs.

I7 4770k@4.5ghz
MSI Z87-G45 gaming motherboard
8GB Corsair DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 670 2GB with a 100mhz overclock to both clocks
WD Caviar Black 2TB
Antec BP550 PSU

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I would look into a 770, 780 or 780ti depending on budget.

780ti? Isn't that a bit beefy? Or is my i7 930 CPU still enough? The GTX 460 seemed like a good new mid-range option at the time I got it, but honestly I'm a bit disappointed with how my system has performed. Starcraft 2 4v4s on medium settings getting really bad sub 20fps dips. If something handles SC2 on highest settings smoothly, and works well for 1080p games like BF4 and Titanfall (even though I'll primarily play them on consoles) I think that will be good enough. Will the 770 fit that bill? Is one of my 460s worth keeping around for dedicated PhysX action? Is PhysX even really still a thing in PC games?

Man, they days where I followed PC gaming tech news are just too far gone I'm sadly a bit lost.

appaws

Banned
I've never jumped on the SSD train before but I'm starting to consider it. The thing is I rarely restart my computer and all the files I use most are preloaded in my RAM so I'm not expecting much improvement at all with general use. That leaves games. Will I see any performance benefits? I've heard of it increasing minimum fps, reducing frame times and smoothing out gameplay and reducing load times. I was curious what of any of this is noticeably true. Here are my specs.

I7 4770k@4.5ghz
MSI Z87-G45 gaming motherboard
8GB Corsair DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 670 2GB with a 100mhz overclock to both clocks
WD Caviar Black 2TB
Antec BP550 PSU

I don't know about those other things, but the reduction in load times is amazing. Take a game with annoying long load times, let's say Fallout: New Vegas or maybe Deus Ex: HR....the load times go by so fast sometimes that you don't even have time to read the little info they give you during the loads.

Seriously, just do it. It's the best general computing upgrade you can make. My only regret is going kind of small for my first one at 120gb. But they were more expensive back then. I am going to go for a TB one in the next few weeks for sure as soon as I see a decent deal.

appaws

Banned
780ti? Isn't that a bit beefy? Or is my i7 930 CPU still enough? The GTX 460 seemed like a good new mid-range option at the time I got it, but honestly I'm a bit disappointed with how my system has performed. Starcraft 2 4v4s on medium settings getting really bad sub 20fps dips. If something handles SC2 on highest settings smoothly, and works well for 1080p games like BF4 and Titanfall (even though I'll primarily play them on consoles) I think that will be good enough. Will the 770 fit that bill? Is one of my 460s worth keeping around for dedicated PhysX action? Is PhysX even really still a thing in PC games?

Man, they days where I followed PC gaming tech news are just too far gone I'm sadly a bit lost.

That 460 is pretty long in the tooth these days. It really does depend on your budget what you replace it with. For 1080p gaming a 760 is good at the $250 price point, its probably the most recommended card around here these days for 1080p. The 770 is great at around 329 for 2gb and 379 for 4gb. I think the 2gb models are going to be just as good for the forseeable future at 1080p.

Man, I wish the R9 290 was available at $400. It would absolutely steal the show, IMO.

Those older i7 CPUs are still going strong, and wasn't that 930 considered a beast of an overclocker. You have it OCed...? You could hang with it for a while longer, depending on what games you favor. Being CPU bound isn't all that common, except in some multiplayer stuff and advanced emulators like Dolphin.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Any rumors on the performance gains? I still haven't bought a gpu because i'm waiting on the 800 series. If the performance gains are minimal, i will probably just buy a 700 series gpu.

the 750 ti uses the maxwell architecture; the performance gains from the architecture shift alone appear to be promising and they'll be even better at 20nm. the real gain is in power efficiency which is especially exciting to me since i'm a power conscientious dude that would like to try an sli build at some point. i expect gains will be similar to the 500 -> 600 series switch since i believe that was also a die shrink and architecture shift.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

id wager that's your cpu. turn your settings to low and see if the framerate is still fairly low in those battles. if it is, then you know the gpu isn't the problem.

edit: Not even sure as to why my entire post was deleted.

That said:

I have an i7-920@3.8Ghz I gave to my wife and it still handles most games great. If you haven't overclocked I'd look into that. It's not hard to do on those procs. I also have a GTX 460 from my old build and use it as a PhysX card and it seems to work better than just my GTX 780 by itself. My old build that my wife has now, GTX 680/i7-920@3.8Ghz/12gbs Ram can play almost every game maxed out at 1080p@60fps with few minor adjustments to a few settings. The GTX 680 is more or less comparable to the GTX 770 and it's a great card, judging by your expectations of what you want from gaming, that card should suit you fine. OC that i7-930! If it's anything like the 920, it'll have plenty of room.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
That 460 is pretty long in the tooth these days. It really does depend on your budget what you replace it with. For 1080p gaming a 760 is good at the $250 price point, its probably the most recommended card around here these days for 1080p. The 770 is great at around 329 for 2gb and 379 for 4gb. I think the 2gb models are going to be just as good for the forseeable future at 1080p.

Man, I wish the R9 290 was available at $400. It would absolutely steal the show, IMO.

Those older i7 CPUs are still going strong, and wasn't that 930 considered a beast of an overclocker. You have it OCed...? You could hang with it for a while longer, depending on what games you favor. Being CPU bound isn't all that common, except in some multiplayer stuff and advanced emulators like Dolphin.
The 930 was considered a good overclocker but I always got underwhelming results. I've just been running it at around 3.2GHz for stability's sake. My system had all sorts of stability issues though. In the end I think it's mostly on the crappy MSI X58 Pro-E motherboard. But my first batch of RAM was bad, and it was in the higher addresses, somewhere past 10GB out of the total 12GB. So once I had a bunch of crap open things would fall apart. When I finally got that sorted I still had issues with the "Super OC" GTX 460s, where I don't think the boards were really of good enough quality to support the factory overclock they gave them. Which seems strange, since I had the same problem with both of them. So who really knows? But in the past year or so I finally downclocked them close to stock 460 speeds and lo and behold, they seem a lot more stable. My power supply should be plenty good enough, it's an Antec TruePower Quattro 850w.

I think I will snag something soon, hopefully on a decent deal. I'm still thinking 780 is overkill and it kind of sounds like you agree with that. I'm kind of against a 760 because it rhymes with my 460s which I basically never liked. Leaning towards 770 by default I guess.

Delt31

just got my new setup (i5 3570 and a gtx 670) and based on bioshock infinite and batman origin maxed out, i'm really impressed. so impressed i'm thinking about selling my ps4 since that was my machine for 1080p 60fps third parties but with this pc, seems like i already have that (and the ps4 might not be the best quality settings where pc seems like i not only get 1080 60 but maxed settings).

Saige

I must do better.
So I’m finally getting myself a new rig and I just wanted to double check with someone who actually knows their stuff and make sure I didn’t make any stupid mistakes.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
MB: Asus B85M-E/CSM Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Case

Anything look too amiss, or should I just pull the trigger?

KTT

So I’m finally getting myself a new rig and I just wanted to double check with someone who actually knows their stuff and make sure I didn’t make any stupid mistakes.

Any specific reason you're getting a MicroATX board? Also, where are you located?

jd78

Neo Member

Did you intentionally pick a mATX board for a regular ATX case? It will work, but wasn't sure if that was intended.

romulus91

great thread ...

if anyone would mind advising me on an upgrade path.....

my current build is :

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K (3.40Ghz / 8MB / LGA1155 / Quad Core
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3HB3 Intel Z68 Chipset, Socket 1155, 4xDDR3,
VC: Gigabyte Geforce GTX570 Overclocked (780Mhz), 1280MB GDDR5 (3800Mhz)
MEM: Corsair 8GB Kit (2x4GB)

my question is whether PCGAF would upgrade now (and what parts), or wait for a year or two where games are really chugging....if i was to upgrade i was thinking a 270x may be an affordable option

much appreciated :)

great thread ...

my current build is :

my question is whether PCGAF would upgrade now (and what parts), or wait for a year or two where games are really chugging....if i was to upgrade i was thinking a 270x may be an affordable option

That's a pretty good PC. I'd say if you are looking to upgrade, I'd look into overclocking your CPU and a new GPU. Not much you'd really need to change other than that imo.

Granadier

You could pick up a 760 to replace your 570.
If you're in the US then a 270X wouldn't be a good upgrade because the prices are nearly equal to a 760, but if your outside then yeah a 270 or 270X would be a great choice.

Josh378

I'm starting to wonder if it's worth doing SLI on a PC. I have a 780 GTX and I was thinking of picking up another 780 GTX, but will it be worth the cost of doing so?

great thread ...

my current build is :

Avoid the 270X, for just a tad bit more you could get a GTX770 which is much much faster (to the tune of 40% stock vs. stock). But if you wanted to stay in that price range--actually cheaper!--a GTX760 is just cheaper than the 270X and still outperforms it by a decent amount--10% give or take.

**These are assuming you're in the US where AMD cards are inflated greatly.**

I'm starting to wonder if it's worth doing SLI on a PC. I have a 780 GTX and I was thinking of picking up another 780 GTX, but will it be worth the cost of doing so?

Probably not. SLi is a massive headache most of the time. Single card solutions are almost always better.

Granadier

You'll see around 30% increase in performance going SLI, depending on the particular game.

Avoid the 270X, for just a tad bit more you could get a GTX770 which is much much faster

Probably not. SLi is a massive headache most of the time. Single card solutions are almost always better.

Where are you finding these 770's that are "just a tad bit more". A 770 is ~$100 more than a 270x. The 760 is the way to go for the performance goal.

Also I don't think you know what you are talking about regarding SLI.

Granadier

Yes.
Just double check your clearance for your GPU, but you shouldn't have any issues with it.

Looking for advice on monitors. Trying to choose between these two:

1) ASUS VS229H-P: Link

Or

2) AOC i2367Fh: Link

At the moment I prefer the AOC but I have a feeling the Asus will have better reliability. Any thoughts? Anyone know which one has the lower input lag?

Granadier

see if you can snag a deal on the gigabyte ud3h or ud4h if you buy the proc there too (might be in store only)

edit: they're the same board except the ud4h has more power phases which apparently help with overclocking.

Yeah, in store processors at MicroCenter are crazy cheap.

Rubius

So, I kept getting BSOD at boot when trying to install Windows 7. I knew it was a memory issue, but didnt know what the hell was going on. Even went back in my case and tried to snugg everything and check if the ram was correctly put in the socket, even though my MEMTEST was perfect (0 error in 4 pass. 5 hours long.).
After looking about the error I kept getting (irql_not_less_or_equal) at the total end of my OS install everytime, I found my solution.
Look like some of the advanced BIOS stuff was killing my PC or had some kind of problem with my Hardware. I found a post of guy with the same problem and who resolved it by disabling stuff in the BIOS
(Advanced BIOS features:
C1E
Execute Disable Bit
Virtualization Technology
EIST Function)

I only removed Execute Disable Bit and Virtualization Technology, and my install went through perfectly. So if you get this kind of BSOD on boot, you know what to look for at least.

jfoul

Does anyone know when we will start seeing GTX 800 series cards?

I think we might get wind of something at the conference next month. I'm betting on Nvidia refreshing the 760/770/780 with 28nm Maxwell chips, and later releasing high end Maxwell on 20nm.

Where are you finding these 770's that are "just a tad bit more". A 770 is ~$100 more than a 270x. The 760 is the way to go for the performance goal.

Also I don't think you know what you are talking about regarding SLI.

Cheapest 270X: HIS IceQ X2 270X - $280
Cheapest GTX770: ASUS DC2 GTX770 - $330

Technically there is 1 cheaper 270X, but it has substantially lower clock speeds and a much crappier cooler, for $10 cheaper. GTX770's have been swinging as low as $310 lately, and hovering around $330 for even very good third party ones. $50 for a ~40% performance increase over the 270X is worth saving for.

SLi has a lot of issues with diminishing returns and driver compatability, as well as issues with stuttering. It's just easier to avoid all that and get a single card than to get multiple cards and work up that way. Might cost you more but the experience is almost always better.

How is this motherboard? Comparing pairing it with my i4670k when I upgrade:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/414939/Z87_Extreme6_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

It's fine, but it's meant for overclocking, so if you're not planning on OCing a bunch you could get away with a cheaper solution without sacrificing any quality.

I think we might get wind of something at the conference next month. I'm betting on Nvidia refreshing the 760/770/780 with 28nm Maxwell chips, and later releasing high end Maxwell on 20nm.

That would follow what they did with Kepler--releasing their intended mid-range GPU as a high end refresh. I hope they don't actually do that but we'll see. I know GloFo and TSMC have been struggling with 20nm product for quite some time. Seems like every other process node gives them problems (32nm was a shit show for them both).

You guys have been fantastic. Thank you.

Last question - For the 760, why should I not pony up the 30-40 extra dollars to go from 2 GB to 4 GB? Is there something I'm missing?

For example, the 2 GB cards I've found:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-gtx760dc2oc2gd5
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n760tf2gd5oc
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp42765kr

are all 2 GB and have like 30-40+ high ratings. Yet the two 4 GB ones I'm looking at:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn760oc4gdrev20
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n760tf4gd5oc

Have one and five reviews.

Is there something I'm overlooking?

romulus91

That's a pretty good PC. I'd say if you are looking to upgrade, I'd look into overclocking your CPU and a new GPU. Not much you'd really need to change other than that imo.

cheers :) i do have a ps4 so i may hold off for a while but if i hypothetically get a mid-high end card at the end of the year... will my other parts still be ok? (i.e be able to utilize the potential)

cheers :) i do have a ps4 so i may hold off for a while but if i hypothetically get a mid-high end card at the end of the year... will my other parts still be ok? (i.e be able to utilize the potential)

Yes, your parts are fine. I'd say if you overclocked your processor and popped in a new GFX you'd have a decent Mid-High end system.

Last question - For the 760, why should I not pony up the 30-40 extra dollars to go from 2 GB to 4 GB? Is there something I'm missing?

are all 2 GB and have like 30-40+ high ratings. Yet the two 4 GB ones I'm looking at:

Because it's wasted cash - 760 doesn't have horsepower to push games which would require more than 2 gigs of ram.

SmartBase

I'm trying to figure out for my April build if I could run 3440x1440 with a single graphics card at 60FPS or if I have to go for an SLI setup. Any suggestions? Both CPU and GPU(s) are going to be under water and overclocked.

Seanspeed

Banned

Because at the moment, there is very little performance benefit for doing so.

Some people are really adamant that next-gen is(was) going to bring in much higher vRAM requirements, but we haven't seen that so far and its quite possible that people are overly freaking out about it. Its also possible that this does become a reality over the next few years, but its unlikely that your card simply won't be capable of playing these games. In a few years, a 760 is gonna be a weaker card in general for reasons other than just vRAM.

It wont hurt if you want to pay the extra money for a bit of extra reassurance, obviously. But its not guaranteed to increase your 'future proofing' by much, if at all. Especially if you're fine with staying at 1080p.

Rubius

So I seem to have gotten a bad motherboard. First time that this happen to me. Been working trying to install an OS on my machine for 18 hours now and nothing work. Tried to remove everything, did a 5 hours memtest. Nothing work, it just BSOD at the end of the OS installation no matter if it's Windows 8 or 7.
Contacted Gigabyte, hoping to get a replacement.

Seanspeed

Banned
So I seem to have gotten a bad motherboard. First time that this happen to me. Been working trying to install an OS on my machine for 18 hours now and nothing work. Tried to remove everything, did a 5 hours memtest. Nothing work, it just BSOD at the end of the OS installation no matter if it's Windows 8 or 7.
Contacted Gigabyte, hoping to get a replacement.
Pretty rare for Gigabyte boards, yea?

Bad luck man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom