• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
Installing new GPU ( 270) & I guess my second hard drive just died. It was making a beep noise the first time it started up. Then drive failure. Ah well.

What would you guys do?

Radeon R7 260x 2GB (new) - $95
650 Ti Boost 2GB (used) - $105
750 Ti 2GB (new) - $149

I play at 1680x1050. All paired with an old CPU (X4 940 @ 3.5) and 4GB DDR2 800.

BF4 and Titanfall will be games I'll be primarily playing.

So I seem to have gotten a bad motherboard. First time that this happen to me. Been working trying to install an OS on my machine for 18 hours now and nothing work. Tried to remove everything, did a 5 hours memtest. Nothing work, it just BSOD at the end of the OS installation no matter if it's Windows 8 or 7.
Contacted Gigabyte, hoping to get a replacement.

Are you installing from a USB3 port and/or via a USB3 drive?

What would you guys do?

750 Ti 2GB (new) - $149

I play at 1680x1050. All paired with an old CPU (X4 940 @ 3.5) and 4GB DDR2 800.

Probably the 260x if you're looking at saving money. Also if you're getting it new and it comes with the AMD game rewards you can always sell that on ebay for a little bit of cash.

Something sexy about the 750 ti though.. I wouldn't mind picking one of them up and then using it in an HTPC at some point. The low power requirement is nice on the 750 ti.

Serandur

What would you guys do?

750 Ti 2GB (new) - $149

Personally, I would wait for the R7 265s and grab one of those if you're willing to pay $150.

Thanks for the opinions, guys. Yeah I were to drop $150, I'd probably wait I suppose.

So if we just limit it to the 650 Ti Boost 2GB and the R7 260x 2GB, price being equal, which would you guys go with?

Thanks for the opinions, guys. Yeah I were to drop $150, I'd probably wait I suppose.

So if we just limit it to the 650 Ti Boost 2GB and the R7 260x 2GB, price being equal, which would you guys go with?

If you could honestly just wait till the R7 265 comes out, it will be your best bet. It is significantly more powerful than the 260x. The R7 265 is even significantly faster than the GTX 750 ti.

Techspot Review said:
Yet we have a hard time recommending the GTX 750 Ti over the R7 265 as the Radeon offers 13% more performance (on average) and over 20% in games such as Battlefield 4. AMD's solution consumed 32% more power than Nvidia's, though in the games we tested during that scenario the R7 265 was also 24% faster, so that point is moot. Again, on paper, assuming both cards are available for $150, the R7 265 is a better buy.

Not only does it perform better in games that you want to play I.E. BF4 and Titanfall. Mantel can improve your performance even more, as you are probably CPU bottle necked in most games, especially multi-player games.

Not only does it perform better in games that you want to play I.E. BF4 and Titanfall. It will improve your performance even more, as you are probably CPU bottle necked in most games, especially multi-player games.

Is that due to Mantle? Otherwise I can't see how that would be the case.

Is that due to Mantle? Otherwise I can't see how that would be the case.

Yes in games like BF4, Star Citizen, Theif 4, etc. where mantel is supported. You will see increases from that same R7 265 using Direct X. Most of the improvements come from systems that are CPU bottle necked. However recently we have even seen huge improvements even from i7's.

My personal preference is EVGA, even if it has slightly lower clocks.

EVGA seems to have the best return/upgrade system.

Gigabyte is the fastest and most silent, with a guaranteed stout overclock.

MSI has the most potential, if and only if, you use third party software to remove all of the limits(voltage and whatnot).

All three are fine choices, pick whichever one looks best and interests you the most. I struggled hard between the MSI and gigabyte, but in the end I didn't want to be bothered having to hunt down all the software needed to take the card to it's limit.

In games like BF4, Star Citizen, Theif 4, etc. where mantel is supported yes. You will see increases from that same R7 265 using Direct X. Most of the improvements come from systems that are CPU bottle necked. However recently we have even seen huge improvements even from i7's.

I see, thanks. Does the 260x also see improvements with Mantle? I recall hearing that for some reason the 260x/BF4 wasn't optimized properly for Mantle. Am I making that up?

kharma45

I see, thanks. Does the 260x also see improvements with Mantle? I recall hearing that for some reason the 260x/BF4 wasn't optimized properly for Mantle. Am I making that up?

You've got it the wrong way around. 260X (and 290/X) are properly optimised, the rest of the range is not.

bro1

Banned
Talk me out of upgrading to a Korean 1440p monitor. I have a 27" 144hz 1080p monitor from asus and gtx 770 in SLi. For games like Diablo and skyrim was thinking 1440p would be fun.

soultron

Banned
Just got a Xonar DXG with latest Win8.1 drivers but the maximum volume seems super low, even after tweaks to the settings for the sound card. Should I look into investing in an external headphone amp/DAC? If so, what do you guys recommend? (I'm into music and games on my PC, but don't know too much about amps yet. )

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Do you guys know of any places where you can get replacement screens?

There is a Dell U2312HM at my work with a broken screen. If it's repairable for a reasonable amount I am going to ask if I can have it before they trash it.

Any insight on this, or should I just forget it?

Altima

Can you help me with my first PC build ?

I will use her to surfing website / Photoshop / massive gaming / playing PS2/Wii Emu (want to play Xenosaga,Rogue Galaxy)

CORE I5 4570
GIGABYTE Z87N-WIFI
WD 1 TB SATA III 64MB BLUE 3-Y
KINGSTON HYPER-X (K2) 8GB (4x2) 1600 MHz CL 9 D. X2/Blue/Beast
LG 24X SATA-Interface
Seasonic M12 II Bronze 750W EVO Full Modul
Corsair 250D

Is this ok ? I already have Leadtek 770 in at home.

Smokey

GAF, what's a good 1440p monitor?

March may see the release of the ASUS ROG 1440p Gsync panel. Will be $700

They currently offer a 27" 1440p monitor that is pretty good. Can't remember model number off top.

Then there are the Korean 1440p models which will be cheaper than the above.

kharma45

Can you help me with my first PC build ?

I will use her to surfing website / Photoshop / massive gaming / playing PS2/Wii Emu (want to play Xenosaga,Rogue Galaxy)

CORE I5 4570
GIGABYTE Z87N-WIFI
WD 1 TB SATA III 64MB BLUE 3-Y
KINGSTON HYPER-X (K2) 8GB (4x2) 1600 MHz CL 9 D. X2/Blue/Beast
LG 24X SATA-Interface
Seasonic M12 II Bronze 750W EVO Full Modul
Corsair 250D

Is this ok ? I already have Leadtek 770 in at home.

Swap to a 4670K.

Chances are you can get a better PSU for that money too. Where are you buying from?

Don't forget some Photoshop projects can use a lot of RAM and with that mobo you'll only have 2 RAM slots to play with so no ability to add more without removing the other stuff.

jfoul

Because at the moment, there is very little performance benefit for doing so.

Some people are really adamant that next-gen is(was) going to bring in much higher vRAM requirements, but we haven't seen that so far and its quite possible that people are overly freaking out about it. Its also possible that this does become a reality over the next few years, but its unlikely that your card simply won't be capable of playing these games. In a few years, a 760 is gonna be a weaker card in general for reasons other than just vRAM.

It wont hurt if you want to pay the extra money for a bit of extra reassurance, obviously. But its not guaranteed to increase your 'future proofing' by much, if at all. Especially if you're fine with staying at 1080p.

The only way I would go 760 4GB, is if I was going to SLI. I would also need to find an insane deal on the cards.

Altima

Swap to a 4670K.

Chances are you can get a better PSU for that money too. Where are you buying from?

Don't forget some Photoshop projects can use a lot of RAM and with that mobo you'll only have 2 RAM slots to play with so no ability to add more without removing the other stuff.

Ok, I will get 4670k.

PSU - can I go with 650 bronze ? (or 750 is more safe ?) I will buy it from retailer in my country. There is no newegg/amazon/ebay or anything like that here.

RAM - I have read that 4*2 is better than 1*8 but is it noticeable ?

Ashes

Banned
Installing new GPU ( 270) & I guess my second hard drive just died. It was making a beep noise the first time it started up. Then drive failure. Ah well.

Was about to throw it away. Thought I'd see if my local repair shop could salvage data from it. Turns out it was working fine. :p

/back your data up reminder!

Durante

Ok, I will get 4670k.

PSU - can I go with 650 bronze ? (or 750 is more safe ?) I will buy it from retailer in my country. There is no newegg/amazon/ebay or anything like that here.

Dual channel can make a pretty significant difference in some contexts. It's worth it.

March may see the release of the ASUS ROG 1440p Gsync panel. Will be $700

They currently offer a 27" 1440p monitor that is pretty good. Can't remember model number off top.

Then there are the Korean 1440p models which will be cheaper than the above.

Not really tempted to get into G-sync yet, but I am looking at some 1440p monitors on Amazon and I am wondering why they're so expensive - are they still considered a niche prroduct?

I think I'll probably go with 1080p for now and upgrade later.

kharma45

Ok, I will get 4670k.

If you're going for a single GPU 550w is plenty.

Difference isn't that large, just something to consider in your Photoshop work. Depends on how much you're doing, if it's more casual then 8GB is likely fine.

Seanspeed

Banned
I am looking at some 1440p monitors on Amazon and I am wondering why they're so expensive - are they still considered a niche prroduct?
From what I've learned, 1440p monitors are mostly fairly high-end products. They're using the better IPS tech with high level color reproduction, which I'm guessing makes up most of the extra expense. Basically, they are professional-grade products.

I would totally buy a lower end 1440p display, though. I still want IPS, but I don't need anything amazing. Is there really not a market for people like me? At this rate, 4k monitors will be cheaper than 1440p displays before too long. Which is cool, but there's such a gap between performance needs between the 1080p and 4k that its a hard jump to make. If 1440p doesn't come down in price soon, I may just upgrade my GPU in 2015 for Oculus Rift and then maybe again in 2017 for a 4k screen, hopefully when there's some good 16nm GPU's around.

Granadier

Can you find me some benches on that. I can't recall ever seeing a significant difference.

Here's a link supporting your claim kharma, although his testing utilized 1x8 vs 2x8.

Another test from 2007 showing that dual-channel only incresed by <5%.

Unfortunately it seems that memory benchmarking isn't too popular. I guess if you had the software to utilize the full bandwidth of dual-channel it would be worthwhile.

mkenyon

Banned
I would totally buy a lower end 1440p display, though. I still want IPS, but I don't need anything amazing. Is there really not a market for people like me? At this rate, 4k monitors will be cheaper than 1440p displays before too long. Which is cool, but there's such a gap between performance needs between the 1080p and 4k that its a hard jump to make. If 1440p doesn't come down in price soon, I may just upgrade my GPU in 2015 for Oculus Rift and then maybe again in 2017 for a 4k screen, hopefully when there's some good 16nm GPU's around.
QNIX Evolution II is pretty damn cheap for what you get.

KTT

From what I've learned, 1440p monitors are mostly fairly high-end products. They're using the better IPS tech with high level color reproduction, which I'm guessing makes up most of the extra expense. Basically, they are professional-grade products.

Have you looked into Korean ones? Exactly what price are you hoping they come down to?

Just ordered 1x8GB myself to save $10-$15, so I'm quietly hoping there's not much of a difference :p

Azzurri

So is the 790 a farce? I really want to build an mITX and would love a 790, but if not I'd go mITX so I could SLI if I wanted.

b0bbyJ03

so did i completely messed up when buying my parts? I ordered an mini itx with an atx 12v 1 and the power supply i purchased has an atx 12v 2.3 connector. Is there any kind of adapter i can use or do i have to exchange something?

jarosh

Man, I think I'm gonna replace my heatsink, don't trust my old, cheap one anymore after the recent heat spike...

Is there a good, QUIET heatsink/fan that I can install without taking my motherboard out of the case? Price doesn't matter. I've looked at a bunch, but especially the quieter/silent ones seem to have complicated installations that often require taking the mobo out/unplugging everything.

KTT

Man, I think I'm gonna replace my heatsink, don't trust my old, cheap one anymore after the recent heat spike...

Is there a good, QUIET heatsink/fan that I can install without taking my motherboard out of the case? Price doesn't matter. I've looked at a bunch, but especially the quieter/silent ones seem to have complicated installations that often require taking the mobo out/unplugging everything.

The case you're using can make a huge difference. Unless you already said somewhere and I missed it?

EDIT:
Look at the difference in these two cases... (same view from the same side) First one has a cutout to allow for easy handling and the second doesn't. See how it'd make a difference?

DSCF2040-Copy.jpg

p182-04.jpg

mkenyon

Banned

As noted, it entirely depends on whether your case has a CPU socket cutout that allows you to access the rear of the motherboard.

Seanspeed

Banned
QNIX Evolution II is pretty damn cheap for what you get.

Have you looked into Korean ones? Exactly what price are you hoping they come down to?
Yea, the Korean monitors are obviously good value, but I wouldn't mind having a trusted brand, with a warranty and trusted build quality and all that reassuring stuff. If something isn't right(a shitload of backlight bleeding, for instance), I'd like to be able to send them back without hassle.

The QNIX is definitely what I'm looking at, but if 4k comes down in price fast enough, I may just put it off for a while. I don't know. Its really gonna depend on what my money situation is like in a year or so. I'm definitely getting a GPU upgrade and Oculus Rift. If I can still justify a 1440p monitor, I'll probably do it. If not, well, I dunno. I dunno! lol I'm thought rambling here.

Kinda pleased with my first build - but how bad is it in reality? ;-)

CPU: Intel i5 4670K (194,25 € @ mindfactory.de)
MoBo: Biostar HI-FI Z87X 3D (118,29 € @ mindfactory.de)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120 M BW (24,13 € @ mindfactory.de)
GPU: 2048MB Asus GeForce GTX 770 (276,88 € @ mindfactory.de)
RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-1600 (69,94 € @ mindfactory.de)
HDD: 1000GB WD Black WD1003FZEX 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s (67,24 € @ mindfactory.de)
SSD: 256GB Samsung 830 series (“recycled” from my current Notebook)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12D2HT (54,90 @ mindfactory.de)
PSU: Be quiet! Pure Power L8 600W (65,82 € @ mindfactory.de)
Case: Corsair Graphite 230T Midi Tower (68,97 € @ mindfactory.de)
Total: 940,42 €

Anything to improve or any major flaws in my built? Without financially ruining me ofc. ;-)

mkenyon

Banned
Yea, the Korean monitors are obviously good value, but I wouldn't mind having a trusted brand, with a warranty and trusted build quality and all that reassuring stuff. If something isn't right(a shitload of backlight bleeding, for instance), I'd like to be able to send them back without hassle.

The QNIX is definitely what I'm looking at, but if 4k comes down in price fast enough, I may just put it off for a while. I don't know. Its really gonna depend on what my money situation is like in a year or so. I'm definitely getting a GPU upgrade and Oculus Rift. If I can still justify a 1440p monitor, I'll probably do it. If not, well, I dunno. I dunno! lol I'm thought rambling here.
Returning it has a lot more to do with the retailer than the manufacturer. But if you're going to get picky about blacklight bleeding or maybe 1-2 dead pixels, you can't also ask for budget prices. Not saying that budget panels will have those problems, but you won't get a guarantee of no issues like you would from someone like EIZO.

Keep in mind though, the QNIX is one of the very few PLS/IPS panels that can OC to 120Hz. That should be enough to offset worries you have about it.
Kinda pleased with my first build - but how bad is it in reality? ;-)

CPU: Intel i5 4670K (194,25 € @ mindfactory.de)
MoBo: Biostar HI-FI Z87X 3D (118,29 € @ mindfactory.de)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120 M BW (24,13 € @ mindfactory.de)
GPU: 2048MB Asus GeForce GTX 770 (276,88 € @ mindfactory.de)
RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-1600 (69,94 € @ mindfactory.de)
HDD: 1000GB WD Black WD1003FZEX 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s (67,24 € @ mindfactory.de)
SSD: 256GB Samsung 830 series (“recycled” from my current Notebook)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12D2HT (54,90 @ mindfactory.de)
PSU: Be quiet! Pure Power L8 600W (65,82 € @ mindfactory.de)
Case: Corsair Graphite 230T Midi Tower (68,97 € @ mindfactory.de)
Total: 940,42 €

Anything to improve or any major flaws in my built? Without financially ruining me ofc. ;-)
Sharp knees. 2/10

Solid.

jarosh

The case you're using can make a huge difference. Unless you already said somewhere and I missed it?

EDIT:
Look at the difference in these two cases... (same view from the same side) First one has a cutout to allow for easy handling and the second doesn't. See how it'd make a difference?

As noted, it entirely depends on whether your case has a CPU socket cutout that allows you to access the rear of the motherboard.

You guys are the best, thanks for the quick replies! I hadn't thought of accessing the back of the mobo to install the backplate that way... and sure enough, my Cooler Master case DOES have a cutout.

Considering one of the be quiet Shadow Rock ones or do you guys have any other recommendations? All the good ones seem to be MASSIVE, just gotta make sure they won't block the RAM slots.

kharma45

Here's a link supporting your claim kharma, although his testing utilized 1x8 vs 2x8.

Another test from 2007 showing that dual-channel only incresed by <5%.

Unfortunately it seems that memory benchmarking isn't too popular. I guess if you had the software to utilize the full bandwidth of dual-channel it would be worthwhile.

Yeah I was never able to find out anything beyond those. Sure there is theoretically more bandwidth but it doesn't translate into any benefit in the real world from what I have seen so far. I wanted to see if Durante has anything else as I've seen him say that before on GAF and had meant to ask for something to substantiate it.

mkenyon

Banned
You guys are the best, thanks for the quick replies! I hadn't thought of accessing the back of the mobo to install the backplate that way... and sure enough, my Cooler Master case DOES have a cutout.

Considering one of the be quiet Shadow Rock ones or do you guys have any other recommendations? All the good ones seem to be MASSIVE, just gotta make sure they won't block the RAM slots.
The ones in the OP are the best value.

CM Hyper TX4/212 Evo is great for a vast majority of users.

Granadier

Yeah I was never able to find out anything beyond those. Sure there is theoretically more bandwidth but it doesn't translate into any benefit in the real world from what I have seen so far. I wanted to see if Durante has anything else as I've seen him say that before on GAF and had meant to ask for something to substantiate it.

Ahh ok.
Well it will be interesting to see if anything comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom