• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

H4r4kiri

Let's have a look.

Edit: None of them are particularly good value and some have some really strange choices (a 4670K but no Z87 motherboard?). Do you want to try your hand at building one yourself? It isn't too hard and you can get something better for your money. We can advise you on bits if you have a budget.

Hey thank you very much. Well my budget is about 850 Euro. 30 more is not a bing problem but thats the limit then. You can never trust retailers i guess. I tried to put a system together myself too. Here is what i got today from amazon Germany. I guess you americans have better pricing :(

Case: Corsair Carbide 200R (52,63€)
Power: XFX P1 550S-XXb9 (56,70)
Harddrive: WD Cavier Green 500gb (49,82), San Disk ssd 64gb (45,16)
Graphic: MSI V284-081R NV N760 (230,99€)
RAM: Corsair Vengence blue 8gb 1600Mhz (69,98)
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87X-D3H (126,50€)
CPU: i5-4670K (190,95€)
Diskdrive: Asus BC-12dht (12x read blue ray) (58,21)

All in all it costs 880,88 ( Thats funny from a german :D)

Did i do horrible ?

pilferk

Neo Member
I have a question for those of you that do comfy couch gaming. I know the TV is going to be fine for most games, but I would like to play MOBA/MMOs from time to time. Do you guys have any issues playing these games on the TV? I'm concerned the distance from my TV will be an issue (55" about 10' away). I also don't really have any room to place a desk in my living room (i want the PC to be hard wired to google fiber). Here is my current setup, what would you advice be?

I play MMO's from my couch all the time. Most of the modern/popular MMO's allow you to scale the UI, so you can make it a bit more user friendly on the big screen (including increasing text size). Usually the option is under interface (but not always) and usually it's called something like "UI Scale" (though not always). Also, most of the MMO's I play allow independant scaling of the chat window text size..either directly from the UI, itself, OR from somewhere in the options.

You should be good to go.

If there's a specific MMO you're wondering about...I might be able to help out with more specifics. I've played a ton of them....

One suggestion: Invest in (if you don't have one already) a wireless headset. Dealing with a corded set, stretched across the room, is no fun. :)

I play MMO's from my couch all the time. Most of the modern/popular MMO's allow you to scale the UI, so you can make it a bit more user friendly on the big screen (including increasing text size). Usually the option is under interface (but not always) and usually it's called something like "UI Scale" (though not always). Also, most of the MMO's I play allow independant scaling of the chat window text size..either directly from the UI, itself, OR from somewhere in the options.

You should be good to go.

If there's a specific MMO you're wondering about...I might be able to help out with more specifics. I've played a ton of them....

One suggestion: Invest in (if you don't have one already) a wireless headset. Dealing with a corded set, stretched across the room, is no fun. :)

Thanks! I know i connected my old PC to a 42inch 1080i plasma without 1:1 mapping, and tried to play Dota2, WoW, and Diablo 3...couldn't read the text in any of those games...do you have any experience with these?

hi guys, I'm gonna get replaced my AMD HD7950. Amazon told me that card is currently discontinued, therefore they will make me a refund so I'm looking for a new card around 260€ (350$). I'm torn between AMD R9 280X (3GB) and NVIDIA 770 (2GB), which one would be the best option?

This has been driving me crazy. I'm trying to find out how much Windows 8 costs/where to buy. Not an upgrade edition, a fresh install, on a brand new, empty, hard drive. My current computer is something I bought second or third hand, don't have access to licenses or whatever. None of this stuff is going into the new computer?

$15-20 on reddit.

LJ11

Might have an issue with my SATA ports. MOBO is Asus P8Z77 v lk

My 6.0gb SATA 3 are working fine (P1 and P2) but two of my SATA 2 ports (P3 and P4) aren't detecting HDDs, the other two ports (P5/6) are fine.

Not sure what the problem is, I've checked all over the BIOS, reset all my settings to stock in the Bios, same result.

Could they be dead.

hi guys, I'm gonna get replaced my AMD HD7950. Amazon told me that card is currently discontinued, therefore they will make me a refund so I'm looking for a new card around 260€ (350$). I'm torn between AMD R9 280X (3GB) and NVIDIA 770 (2GB), which one would be the best option?

Funnily enough I have the same problem as well. My GTX 660 TI has been discontinued and they asked if I want a replacement since they only have 660s left and not TI. Looking to get a card that's a step up from it.

soultron

Banned
Hey thank you very much. Well my budget is about 850 Euro. 30 more is not a bing problem but thats the limit then. You can never trust retailers i guess. I tried to put a system together myself too. Here is what i got today from amazon Germany. I guess you americans have better pricing :(

Did i do horrible ?

I have the same mobo and CPU and haven't had any complaints yet. Not sure how the prices are since I'm Canadian, but I paid less than $500 CAD before taxes on both since there were a few deals.

What model is your SSD, specifically? With your SSD, make sure you get one with a pretty good read speed since that will load any games installed on it really fast. I went with the Samsung EVO SSD myself since it was cheap and had really good ratings, as well as decent read/write speeds.

what's wrong with a 7950? just keep it :p

what's wrong with a 7950? just keep it :p

the thing is, the card is doing something annoying: the card doesn't send video signal to the TV when I turn on the computer, so I have to force a shutdown by pressing the power button for a few secs, so I can turn it on again. sometimes, after the second cold boot, the card sends the video signal properly, but other times it doesn't so I have to turn it off again and then turn in it on, so it's something very annoying.

the card is still in warranty so I don't want to deal with this issue anymore and, though I love its performance I don't know if it's worth the hassle

maneil99

the thing is, the card is doing something annoying: the card doesn't send video signal to the TV when I turn on the computer, so I have to force a shutdown by pressing the power button for a few secs, so I can turn it on again. sometimes, after the second cold boot, the card sends the video signal properly, but other times it doesn't so I have to turn it off again and then turn in it on, so it's something very annoying.

the card is still in warranty so I don't want to deal with this issue anymore and, though I love its performance I don't know if it's worth the hassle

Get the 770

Arctic Silver 5 isn't what it used to be, there are better alternatives. I am not a fan of that ASUS motherboard, for some reason it shows up in every single high end build on this forum. I'm assuming you took a HDD from an old build as a Storage Drive, having everything on an SSD will cut that thing down in a year or so, plus as a rule of thumb you want 25% of your SSD space free at any given time. I'm also trying to figure out why you spent $60 on fans--unless you're planning on mounting all 4 to the attachable mesh for the case which sounds horrifying imo.

But the one thing that baffles me above all else is that PSU. Why in gods name, would you need a 1050w PSU? That system--even overclocked--under peak draw won't break 450w. Unless you plan on getting 3 more 780's for some odd reason, that PSU is kind of a huge waste of money. If you had dropped down to say, an 80 Plus BronzeGold 650w PSU for $100 less, you could have gone from a GTX 780 to a GTX 780 Ti, which would be a much better choice for gaming performance.
Going sli in the future went 1050w because its cheaper that a 850w PSU
The SSD is brand new Best Buy price error
I have an old HDD for user data

scogoth

Can I ask quickly. Is this Philips 32" HDTV good enough for using as my primary screen for writing documents, programming code and surfing on the Internet?

I find TVs generally make terrible monitors for reading text however I do know people who use them as monitors. The pixel density is very low compared to a smaller monitor so you have to sit back a little farther. Also make sure you in a 1 to 1 pixel mode (Full, Just, PC, etc on the TV settings). If the TV does any scaling of the image then it looks terrible.

Ok, so I'm doing an A10 build because I'm able to get AMD parts for just over cost from a friend who's a supplier. So the cost to performance ratio bends in their favor. I'm also choosing not to go with the FX series because it's looking like AM3+ is at EOL. I'm just looking to build a system capable of playing modern games at MED/LOW settings, 30fps. I don't play competitive online games.

I plan on OCing the A10 as much as possible to squeeze every ounce of power out of it.

Where I'm torn is whether I should get an R7-250 for dual graphics, or if I should get an R7-260x for a more powerful GPU.

I plan on upgrading to Carizzo next year if it looks good, so that's why I'm going FM2+. Once I do that, I'll build a new HTPC using the A10.

Im still waiting on my friend to get back to me after talking to his distributor, so I don't have any hard prices on the AMD parts (he usually deals with A8s for office computers) but I'm trying to keep this build as close to $500 USD as possible.

Here's what I've been looking at...

CPU AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid $47.98

Thermal Compound Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 Tri-Linear 2.7g $3.98

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 Micro ATX FM2+ $76.98

Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 $84.99

Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" SSD $65.99

Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 $20.99

Case Xion XON-985-BK ATX Mid Tower $39.99

Power Supply Thermaltake 550W ATX12V $49.99

Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.98

I'm looking for help with this build, not an intel conversion. Thanks in advance.

Edit:I have a feeling I'm already around $600 dollars here. Should I just start sans dGPU and make a decision later, or would the A10 be worthless without help?

Saw this deal on Amazon, how does this card compare to Nvidia's? All I know is that it's quite high-end!
And most importantly, why is it really cheap?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H5LEIG4/

holy shit, afaik the Tri-X is awesome, though the pic doesn't match with the product

I'm seriously considering getting that Tri-X as a replacement for my HD 7950

EDIT: seems like it's a fuck up on Amazon's part, the ASIN code B00H5LEIG4 belongs to the VTX3D Radeon R9 280X V2, 3GB GDDR5, so, I don't know what to do

Alduin

holy shit, afaik the Tri-X is awesome, though the pic doesn't match with the product

EDIT: seems like it's a fuck up on Amazon's part, the ASIN code B00H5LEIG4 belongs to the VTX3D Radeon R9 280X V2, 3GB GDDR5, so, I don't know what to do

Ah well. That explains it then. I knew it was too good to be true. :p

Ah well. That explains it then. I knew it was too good to be true. :p

I'm trying to get in touch with Amazon's customer service just in case

EDIT: uhm, strange

Me:Hi Rodel
I'm about to order the graphic card from the given link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Graphi...(See full link)
but I don't know which product will I receive
Rodel:I'm sorry for any confusions caused.
What you can see is what you can get.
The picture or image on our website is the item that you can get when you placed this item to us.
Me:but the description doesn't match the image
nor the technical details, that's the cause for this confusion
Rodel:I'd like to inform you that
SAPPHIRE R9 290X Tri-X features the latest GCN (graphics core next) architecture from AMD with 2816 stream processing units and an enhanced engine clock of up to 1040Mhz.
It is equipped with 4GB of the latest high performance GDDR5 memory on a 512-bit interface and now clocked at 1300 MHz (5.2GHz effective) delivering higher bandwidth than the reference design.
If it doesn't meets your expectations regarding with the product, please do not hesitate to contact us back and we'll replace it or refund if replacement is unavailable.

well I pulled the trigger, let's see what happens..

LordAlu

Did i do horrible ?
Not bad :) Do you really need a Blu-Ray drive (or any optical drive) though? Also, don't forget you'd need Windows too, which you can get from Reddit:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€190.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€33.40 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€109.99 @ Pixmania DE)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€67.98 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (€72.35 @ Pixmania DE)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€53.90 @ Caseking)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (€231.07 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (€49.90 @ Caseking)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€54.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (€20.00 @ Reddit)
Total: €883.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-03 17:31 CET+0100)

b0bbyJ03

It will bottleneck your GPU in Multiplayer but 60 FPS is attainable. I run the game maxed with 4xAA 1920x1200 HBAO on and get 60-110 fps. Only dips in death cams for some reason, however my game is also suffering from a widespread glitch that causes the foliage to never render at Ultra but rather at medium. All the settings are inversed but draw distances the same therefor its impossible to reach perfect IQ. I have a 3570k and a 780 GTX. I get maxed out CPU usage and around 95%~ usage in most occasions, however I am running it at 4.7ghz

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724153&highlight=

I never got a chance to say thanks for answering my question cause i saw the reply on my phone. I went ahead and ordered a new board (Asus P8z77-I Deluxe) and a corsair h100i thanks to your post. I figured if I'm going to do it might as well do it right. Not only is this my first build, i guess ill be going balls to the walls and overclocking it too. How common are video card overclocks? any idea what percentage of people on these boards do it?

In all probability the age of dirt-cheap RAM is probably gone for good.

I wonder what impact the introduction of DDR4 to the mainstream consumer market will have on DDR3 prices.

You're probably right. I'm guessing the DDR3 prices are going to be consistent with what they are now. Once DDR4 production picks up, DDR3 production will slow down. Which means demand will be consistent with the supply.

I just want them to be what they were like 2 weeks ago ($10-$15 cheaper). I'm waiting for a rebate to come in this week. So I can wait a few more days. If nothing drops by then, I'll just have to bite the bullet.

It's Amazon afterall, if it was a US mistake I'd try to take advantage of it if possible. Amazon is outstanding with that kind of stuff, I mean it does say 290X on the listing as well so if they prepare a 280X for shipping you could explain your situation and just cancel it. I mean is it worth getting an R9 290X over 200 euros off?

EDIT: Didn't refesh the page before I saw you but, good choice. You will either get a cheap card or you have to cancel the order that easy.

I have a Phenom 955BE and a Radeon 6850 currently. I have been playing a bunch of indie titles and mainly waiting for the next big thing to upgrade. I recently started playing DayZ and would just like to maximize my performance a bit. I was thinking of upgrading to an FX-8320 so I don't have to buy a new board. Does anyone know if I will notice a performance increase doing this (I have read that DayZ and ARMA are CPU intensive) or if I would be better off waiting, saving up and rebuilding from scratch?

It's Amazon afterall, if it was a US mistake I'd try to take advantage of it if possible. Amazon is outstanding with that kind of stuff, I mean it does say 290X on the listing as well so if they prepare a 280X for shipping you could explain your situation and just cancel it. I mean is it worth getting an R9 290X over 200 euros off?

EDIT: Didn't refesh the page before I saw you but, good choice. You will either get a cheap card or you have to cancel the order that easy.

well as I said I pulled the trigger, it's going to take quite some time (1-2 months) but it's worth the try.

EDIT: my bad I thought it was the R9 290 model, but now that I look at the deal closely it's the R9 290X model, lol

Asiriya

Neo Member
Just checked camelcamel, says it was listed on the 26th. Wonder what that means if they haven't changed it yet...

Thanks for posting it too! (y)

(Even if I don't end up receiving it :p )

mkenyon

Banned
I have a Phenom 955BE and a Radeon 6850 currently. I have been playing a bunch of indie titles and mainly waiting for the next big thing to upgrade. I recently started playing DayZ and would just like to maximize my performance a bit. I was thinking of upgrading to an FX-8320 so I don't have to buy a new board. Does anyone know if I will notice a performance increase doing this (I have read that DayZ and ARMA are CPU intensive) or if I would be better off waiting, saving up and rebuilding from scratch?
Bulldozer and Vishera aren't much of an improvement over Phenom IIs. Bulldozer is actually worse than Phenom IIs.

If you want to go cheap, you could even get something like a B85 board, pair it with a low end i5 or high end i3.
Ok, so I'm doing an A10 build because I'm able to get AMD parts for just over cost from a friend who's a supplier. So the cost to performance ratio bends in their favor. I'm also choosing not to go with the FX series because it's looking like AM3+ is at EOL. I'm just looking to build a system capable of playing modern games at MED/LOW settings, 30fps. I don't play competitive online games.

I plan on OCing the A10 as much as possible to squeeze every ounce of power out of it.

Where I'm torn is whether I should get an R7-250 for dual graphics, or if I should get an R7-260x for a more powerful GPU.

I plan on upgrading to Carizzo next year if it looks good, so that's why I'm going FM2+. Once I do that, I'll build a new HTPC using the A10.

Im still waiting on my friend to get back to me after talking to his distributor, so I don't have any hard prices on the AMD parts (he usually deals with A8s for office computers) but I'm trying to keep this build as close to $500 USD as possible.

Here's what I've been looking at...

CPU AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid $47.98

Thermal Compound Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 Tri-Linear 2.7g $3.98

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 Micro ATX FM2+ $76.98

Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 $84.99

Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" SSD $65.99

Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 $20.99

Case Xion XON-985-BK ATX Mid Tower $39.99

Power Supply Thermaltake 550W ATX12V $49.99

Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.98

I'm looking for help with this build, not an intel conversion. Thanks in advance.

Edit:I have a feeling I'm already around $600 dollars here. Should I just start sans dGPU and make a decision later, or would the A10 be worthless without help?
Dual graphics are funky.

If you're dead set on going FM2 (and an A10 at cost is still more than an i3, so I'm not sure where the savings is), then I'd focus on getting a solid platform that allows for overclocking. The Gigabyte UP4 is supposedly a great clocking board, so that's the one I'd focus on. Pair that with some good memory, and you'll be able to skip the dGPU at least initially.

Going for hybrid crossfire is a mistake, IMO. So start saving for a nice GPU a few months down the line.

pilferk

Neo Member
Thanks! I know i connected my old PC to a 42inch 1080i plasma without 1:1 mapping, and tried to play Dota2, WoW, and Diablo 3...couldn't read the text in any of those games...do you have any experience with these?

WOW definitely lets you scale the UI...though I can't remember if I was able to do it through the default settings or a Blizzard approved add-on. I THINK the settings, themselves It was under video, then resolution, then you had to enable the UI scale. I found a 1.3 setting in 1.0 multiplyer, a .9 setting in the off multiplier, and a 213 in 0.64 size worked best for me at 1080p....but I THINK they may have enabled a slider since I last had to mess with it. If so...just slide the thing up to "high" and you should be good to go.

Diablo 3 I was unable to find a way to scale the UI, but, admittedly, I did not look very hard. I've seen others complain about this early on, so....but they could have added a UI scale via update (I haven't played D3 in awhile). There also COULD be an add on out there that helps (or an auto script)...but not sure if there is a Blizz approved one.

Dota2..can't help with. I've never played it.

Also...with everything...it helps to set your Windows font size to large. That, at least, helps with the desktop icons.

H1PSTER

Hey guys I Just bought myself a new monitor and was wondering if you could help me with colour calibration?

Edit: Picture

They're practically the same monitor just one is a newer model.

H4r4kiri

Not bad :) Do you really need a Blu-Ray drive (or any optical drive) though? Also, don't forget you'd need Windows too, which you can get from Reddit:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€190.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€33.40 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€109.99 @ Pixmania DE)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€67.98 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (€72.35 @ Pixmania DE)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€53.90 @ Caseking)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (€231.07 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (€49.90 @ Caseking)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€54.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (€20.00 @ Reddit)
Total: €883.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-03 17:31 CET+0100)

Hey thank You for Your recommandation.i thought a Blue Ray drive would be nice because off regionlocks and Backups of my Blue Ray.?

WOW definitely lets you scale the UI...though I can't remember if I was able to do it through the default settings or a Blizzard approved add-on. I THINK the settings, themselves It was under video, then resolution, then you had to enable the UI scale. I found a 1.3 setting in 1.0 multiplyer, a .9 setting in the off multiplier, and a 213 in 0.64 size worked best for me at 1080p....but I THINK they may have enabled a slider since I last had to mess with it. If so...just slide the thing up to "high" and you should be good to go.

Diablo 3 I was unable to find a way to scale the UI, but, admittedly, I did not look very hard. I've seen others complain about this early on, so....but they could have added a UI scale via update (I haven't played D3 in awhile). There also COULD be an add on out there that helps (or an auto script)...but not sure if there is a Blizz approved one.

Dota2..can't help with. I've never played it.

Also...with everything...it helps to set your Windows font size to large. That, at least, helps with the desktop icons.

I appreciate you help! Worse thing that can happen is I have to set up a desk in my bedroom and move my SFF PC when I want to play these games.

maneil99

I never got a chance to say thanks for answering my question cause i saw the reply on my phone. I went ahead and ordered a new board (Asus P8z77-I Deluxe) and a corsair h100i thanks to your post. I figured if I'm going to do it might as well do it right. Not only is this my first build, i guess ill be going balls to the walls and overclocking it too. How common are video card overclocks? any idea what percentage of people on these boards do it?
Pretty common, its not like cpus where there is alot of voltage settings, for nvidia since they lock voltages its basicly you maxing out the voltage slider and power slider and trying to get the highest stable clock below your prefered temp.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
anyone have any experience with Fractal Design Node 304 ? I looks really awesome, I don't want a big tower case this time around

I have one. What are your questions? There are lots of YouTube videos. I managed to fit a very large video card in my case. Just needed to get a smaller PSU.

I have one. What are your questions? There are lots of YouTube videos. I managed to fit a very large video card in my case. Just needed to get a smaller PSU.

thnx. I looked at the vids, case seems a bit small for me

btw in terms of future proofing the rig. should I go with i5 4670k or i7 4770k? Will games eventually start using 8 cores down the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom