• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Right I need a new monitor so bad that I can't wait for an IPS G-Sync panel.

Does anybody from the UK have any recommendations where to pick up a QNIX QX2710? I'm content with it getting caught up in customs but don't want the hassle of having to send a duff unit back to South Korea. Looked into a few sellers on eBay with pixel perfect guarantees at good prices but just wondering if there are any other options.

Cheers in advance.

Abdozer

Anyone here know of a good mechanical keyboard that's on the cheap side? Preferably around 50$ but I can go a little higher.

jd78

Neo Member
Anyone here know of a good mechanical keyboard that's on the cheap side? Preferably around 50$ but I can go a little higher.

The CM Storm QuickFire keyboards are usually in the $60-$80 range and they have several different switch versions.

soultron

Banned
The CM Storm QuickFire keyboards are usually in the $60-$80 range and they have several different switch versions.

I have one and it's awesome. Really love how sturdy the build quality is. It's pretty hefty so it's never going to slide around on your desktop or anything like that. Easily recommendable.

Ridill

Hello, I have a PC I purchased in 2010...and I am definitely in need of an upgrade. I wanted to see if anything I currently have is still...viable I guess? Although I'm very willing to replace anything/everything.

Notes: Last time I built a computer was in 2004 I believe (Around the time Final Fantasy 11 came out)

Your Current Specs:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 930 Processor (4x 2.80GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
RAM:6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1600 - Corsair Dominator
Motherboard:[SLI] MSI X58 PRO-E
GPU (Graphics): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 - 1.2GB - Single Card
PSU (Power Supply):800 Watt -- Power Supply - SLI Ready
Case:NZXT Lexa-S Gaming Case - Black w/ Blue Light
HDD (Hard Drive) 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Budget: Around 1k but I have some wiggle Room
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Definitely gonna use it mainly for gaming (5) and HD Streaming (5)
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080p Samsung SyncMaster S24B350...I got it a year ago, so not planning to upgrade yet.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: mainly want to run 1080p 60 FPS Specifically for FF14 (Currently have it @ 1080p on lowest settings @ 30~40 FPS with the fans kicking up on high during raids), Dark Souls 2 and Titanfall...for now...
Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model: Like I mentioned before, I'd like to know if anything I have is worth keeping...otherwise I'm willing to replace everything. Other than the Case I guess, which is NZXT Lexa-S Gaming Case
When will you build?: Soon as I get my Tax refund and my school loans ;)
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not, I just want something that works "out of the box" per se.

ZoddGutts

Anyone know where to get an i5 4670K for $220 total free shipping and no taxes in the U.S? Regret not buying it last week at Tigerdirect at that price.

mug

Hello, I have a PC I purchased in 2010...and I am definitely in need of an upgrade. I wanted to see if anything I currently have is still...viable I guess? Although I'm very willing to replace anything/everything.

Notes: Last time I built a computer was in 2004 I believe (Around the time Final Fantasy 11 came out)

Your Current Specs:

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Definitely gonna use it mainly for gaming (5) and HD Streaming (5)
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080p Samsung SyncMaster S24B350...I got it a year ago, so not planning to upgrade yet.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: mainly want to run 1080p 60 FPS Specifically for FF14 (Currently have it @ 1080p on lowest settings @ 30~40 FPS with the fans kicking up on high during raids), Dark Souls 2 and Titanfall...for now...
Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model: Like I mentioned before, I'd like to know if anything I have is worth keeping...otherwise I'm willing to replace everything. Other than the Case I guess, which is NZXT Lexa-S Gaming Case
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not, I just want something that works "out of the box" per se.

You should be able to get away with a GPU upgrade as that's your only bottleneck. Well get an SSD as well.

mkenyon

Banned

Your Current Specs:

If you want to get serious about streaming, you could turn this box into the dedicated streaming box. Put in a capture card, and then build a new PC.

Helped a friend build a setup doing this, and it's the only way to stop shitty performance in games while streaming.

http://www.twitch.tv/kudochop

sqwarlock

I think I'm finally going to upgrade my GPU. Currently I'm using an EVGA 560Ti, and I'm looking at either the Gigabyte 760 or 770. The 770 is obviously more powerful, but just outside of what I'm willing to spend, while the 760 is priced much better but less powerful/future-proof.

Historically I've never gone with anything other than a midrange card, and I've never really had any issues running games at a level that I'm ok with.

mr stroke

Arctic Silver 5 isn't what it used to be, there are better alternatives. I am not a fan of that ASUS motherboard, for some reason it shows up in every single high end build on this forum. I'm assuming you took a HDD from an old build as a Storage Drive, having everything on an SSD will cut that thing down in a year or so, plus as a rule of thumb you want 25% of your SSD space free at any given time. I'm also trying to figure out why you spent $60 on fans--unless you're planning on mounting all 4 to the attachable mesh for the case which sounds horrifying imo.

But the one thing that baffles me above all else is that PSU. Why in gods name, would you need a 1050w PSU? That system--even overclocked--under peak draw won't break 450w. Unless you plan on getting 3 more 780's for some odd reason, that PSU is kind of a huge waste of money. If you had dropped down to say, an 80 Plus Bronze\Gold 650w PSU for $100 less, you could have gone from a GTX 780 to a GTX 780 Ti, which would be a much better choice for gaming performance.

Curious why you don't like that Asus Hero motherboard? I am thinking about buying one tomorrow for a new build.

delta25

Banned
I just replaced my 650ti with a 760gtx.

My rig:
i5 3330 3.1ghz
8gb ram
760gtx

Fucking love it.

on a side not, what kind of performance can I expect out of DayZ

NoRéN

I think I'm finally going to upgrade my GPU. Currently I'm using an EVGA 560Ti, and I'm looking at either the Gigabyte 760 or 770. The 770 is obviously more powerful, but just outside of what I'm willing to spend, while the 760 is priced much better but less powerful/future-proof.

Historically I've never gone with anything other than a midrange card, and I've never really had any issues running games at a level that I'm ok with.

770 is only slightly more powerful than a 760. Someone will post some charts for you im sure.

mkenyon

Banned
Curious why you don't like that Asus Hero motherboard? I am thinking about buying one tomorrow for a new build.
It's overpriced unless you really take advantage of the RoG features. Seems like people mostly would pick it out strictly for the aesthetic value, which is legit if you have extra money.

But otherwise, it doesn't do anything on a basic level, or even for overclocking, that you can't get with a board that is $50 less.
I just replaced my 650ti with a 760gtx.

My rig:
i5 3330 3.1ghz
8gb ram
760gtx

Fucking love it.

on a side not, what kind of performance can I expect out of DayZ
Pretty good. Just turn off the post-processing junk as it's horribly optimized right now.

KTT

Anyone know where to get an i5 4670K for $220 total free shipping and no taxes in the U.S? Regret not buying it last week at Tigerdirect at that price.

Are you near a Microcenter? If not, you very well may be able to get Staples to price-match them.

Because you're paying essentially $200 for a crapload of features 95% of the people who buy it never use. It's a solid piece of hardware, but you could easily cut down about $80 and go with a cheaper board and reinvest that money elsewhere. Would you rather have an i5 and the ASUS Hero or an i7 and an entry level Biostar Z87 motherboard? I'd take the i7 setup in a heartbeat. Or the difference between say a GTX760 and GTX770, again, I'd take the later 100% of the time.

You should be able to get away with a GPU upgrade as that's your only bottleneck. Well get an SSD as well.

It's important to remember MMO's are generally very CPU intensive, FFXIV from my experience is no different. I would still say dumping an SSD and something like a GTX770 in there would push him to the desired results.

Ridill

Wow didn't know that I had made a decent investment on the rig. Which GPU would you suggest? I don't mind spending a little extra...just want to make sure that it would be worth it :) And yea, SSD is definitely what I'll shoot for. Just need to figure out how to carry over my Windows 8.1 license =-=; (It was an upgrade from Windows 7)

If you want to get serious about streaming, you could turn this box into the dedicated streaming box. Put in a capture card, and then build a new PC.

Helped a friend build a setup doing this, and it's the only way to stop shitty performance in games while streaming.

http://www.twitch.tv/kudochop

His stream looks pretty awesome! But, my gf unfortunately will only let me have one PC haha. It does seem pretty hardcore, and maybe something I would shoot for eventually...but for now I'd just stream for fun and may stick with just doing it on my pc :X But thanks for the tip...definitely keep it in mind.

It's important to remember MMO's are generally very CPU intensive, FFXIV from my experience is no different. I would still say dumping an SSD and something like a GTX770 in there would push him to the desired results.

Is there anything on there you see I should be upgrading soonish? (Other than GPU and SSD of course)

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Not sure where to ask this, but I have a GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard. I bought two sticks of 8 GB memory (total of 16GB; Corsair Vengeance). I pop open my PC, switch the ram and now my PC won't display anything. There are 6 lights on the MOBO that I didn't notice when I put in my new SSD last week: 2 green, 2 yellow, and 2 red. The PC seems to turn on, but no bios action.

I've tried putting the old RAM in, no dice. I tried one stick of new RAM, no dice. 1 stick of old RAM, no dice. Unplugged 1 HDD, no dice. Unplugged both HDDs, no dice. I tried new HDMI cable/port, no dice. Any ideas?

mug

Wow didn't know that I had made a decent investment on the rig. Which GPU would you suggest? I don't mind spending a little extra...just want to make sure that it would be worth it :)
It's not bad honestly on the CPU side - as another user added since MMO's are somewhat CPU dependent you might want to try out a new GPU first then if it's not to your liking, shop for a replacement CPU.

As for a GPU - I'd suggest a GTX 770 or above if you're wanting a long term investment.

Is there anything on there you see I should be upgrading soonish? (Other than GPU and SSD of course)

I think you can hold out on a CPU upgrade for 2 more years--worst case scenario get a good heatsink and overclock. The LGA1366 i7's are still pretty solid, especially when you throw a bit of overclocking into the mix. I would say go for something like a GTX770 (best price/performance GPU on the market in the high end) then an SSD (Samsung 840 EVO seems to be pretty popular) and if the performance isn't to your liking yet then consider upgrading to Haswell.

mr stroke

Because you're paying essentially $200 for a crapload of features 95% of the people who buy it never use. It's a solid piece of hardware, but you could easily cut down about $80 and go with a cheaper board and reinvest that money elsewhere. Would you rather have an i5 and the ASUS Hero or an i7 and an entry level Biostar Z87 motherboard? I'd take the i7 setup in a heartbeat. Or the difference between say a GTX760 and GTX770, again, I'd take the later 100% of the time.

So what your saying is an Asus Z87 Pro Mobo will give me the same thing less the $30. (Must support SLI)

I'm trying to use my 2nd GTX 750TI, but my desktop cannot recognize it.

When I use GPU-Z, I see the name "Video Controller (VGA Compatible) instead of
Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 TI.

Help!

Do I need to install drivers again?

Edit: Yeah, I had to reinstall the drivers.

@Nakazato I love it.

Ridill

It's not bad honestly on the CPU side - as another user added since MMO's are somewhat CPU dependent you might want to try out a new GPU first then if it's not to your liking, shop for a replacement CPU.

As for a GPU - I'd suggest a GTX 770 or above if you're wanting a long term investment.

I think you can hold out on a CPU upgrade for 2 more years--worst case scenario get a good heatsink and overclock. The LGA1366 i7's are still pretty solid, especially when you throw a bit of overclocking into the mix. I would say go for something like a GTX770 (best price/performance GPU on the market in the high end) then an SSD (Samsung 840 EVO seems to be pretty popular) and if the performance isn't to your liking yet then consider upgrading to Haswell.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input, I definitely will go ahead and upgrade to a SSD and 770. Thankfully, I wont end up having to spend too much :)

Arksy

Hey guys, I'm doing a mini-upgrade.

Current System:

GA-z68x-ud3h
i7-2600k
8gb ram
Radeon 6950 1gb
Shitty Coolermaster Case

I'm upgrading to an r9 280x or r9 290 (haven't decided yet), and I need to replace this broken case because the USB ports are all munted at the front. It needs replacement asap.

The thing that I'm stuck on, however, is that I plan to keep this CPU for another few years on account of the fact that intel hasn't made anything genuinely better than the 2600k yet (or by much). I'm wondering if I should upgrade my motherboard to be able to handle a second video card down the line, also the USB 3.0 ports would help.

The only issue is that z77 boards down here in Australia are notoriously difficult to find atm, I found an Asrock Formula OC z77 for $120 AUD but I'm thinking that's too pricey for what I want to do...thoughts?

ZoddGutts

Sigh, will try to make the drive later this week.

Anyways got a bit of a derpy question. I just got my Windows 7 OEM. Can I install that to three computers or is it a one computer use?

kennah

Sigh, will try to make the drive later this week.

Anyways got a bit of a derpy question. I just got my Windows 7 OEM. Can I install that to three computers or is it a one computer use?

Your license is good for one install at any given time. For three computers you would need three licenses.

ZoddGutts

Oh okay. Can I install it onto my SSD on my laptop and later take out the SDD and put it onto my desktop. Would that be okay? Not going to get my i5 4670K maybe till later this week and even then I would like to use my SSD in my laptop on my desktop instead to install Win 7.

kennah

Oh okay. Can I install it onto my SSD on my laptop and later take out the SDD and put it onto my desktop. Would that be okay? Not going to get my i5 4670K maybe till later this week and even then I would like to use my SSD in my laptop on my desktop instead to install Win 7.

Not a good idea.... Windows kinda shits the bed when you do a drastic change of hard ware. You'd likely have to reinstall later anyway.

Looking for some feedback.
I'm in the market for a new monitor with a budget of $200.
I noticed the Asus VS239H-P was suggested but then I came across the VX229H and was wondering if perhaps that would be a better purchase for gaming and photo editing?

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Looking for some feedback.
I'm in the market for a new monitor with a budget of $200.
I noticed the Asus VS239H-P was suggested but then I came across the VX229H and was wondering if perhaps that would be a better purchase for gaming and photo editing?

Depending on your rig, and what kind of FPS you can push, I would also consider the VG248QE. I got this in December and absolutely love it. https://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG248QE/ Its a little more expensive than $200 though (at currently $280 on Amazon.com)

Finally bought a 212 EVO for my 4670K and went straight for 4.6 @ 1.2V, and it wouldn't post, so I dropped it to 4.2 @ 1.10 and it gave me a BSOD after 5 minutes of AIDA64. Right now I bumped the voltage up to 1.15 and it's holding, but I have a question:

Being completely unfamiliar with overclocking, should I stress test a while at default settings just to make sure that my heatsink install was correct?

EDIT: My install must've been fine, as it's held up at 4.2 for 1.5 hours now. I'll let it run overnight and shoot for 4.3 tomorrow.

daycru

Okay, almost got it down 100%. Just deciding between cases and whether to drop the blu drive down to DVD, my girlfriend gets audio books from the library, so we need an optical drive. Popping in an SSD once I get my tax refund. Can someone explain the Reddit Windows 8 thing? Thank you for being patient and answering dumb questions, have been on console for 25 years, this PC stuff is all new and exciting!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/daycru/saved/
EIs6BFc.png

isual

is there a difference with the manufacturers of the radeon r9 gpu's ?

i'm using the GREAT- BEST VALUE guide to build my first pc.

I got a bad piece of info off the net and thought that the h100i came with 2 Corsair SP120 Quiet fans, so I bought 2 more for a push-pull. Now I know they actually come with the SP120 Performance.

Is it possible to dial back just the 2 Performance fans somehow?

KTT

is there a difference with the manufacturers of the radeon r9 gpu's ?

i'm using the GREAT- BEST VALUE guide to build my first pc.

For one, manufacturer warranties differ. Other things as well, but warranty is one thing you can look up definitively.

Geneijin

So what's the go to thermal compound brand nowadays? Any suggestions? I'm running out of old Artic 5 (from 5 years ago :lol) messing around with overclocking.

yatesl

Has anyone had experience buying parts off of eBay before? On a whim I put a £160 bid on a 4770k. Still 2 days left, so I doubt it'll sell for that price. If it does though, I could sell my 4670k for about £130, and it's be a cheap upgrade.

Obviously you don't get a warranty with it. I know there's a double standard there, as I'd be selling almost the same part on eBay too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom