• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyen

But hopefully I can build this computer, because I sold my iPad mini, Mac mini, MacBook Air, Asus laptop etc. to fund this. =/

Damm, i really hope all goes for the best! just let it dry will all be fine. Btw, open a case in corsair RMA, specially if there is some damaged parts.

Pachimari

I'm gonna try go to a local shop at the other side of the street to find a cheap hair dryer. I'm really nervous and devastated.

In the meantime I'm installing Windows 7 on my USB so that's ready.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Sorry that happened to you Mad. That really sucks.

Your perils made me think of something regarding Corsair water coolers though.
Can the H60 and H100i etc be tested without powering on the computer? As in, is there a way to turn the pump on and test for leaks in order to avoid something like what happened to Mad?

mkenyon

Banned
Sorry that happened to you Mad. That really sucks.

Your perils made me think of something regarding Corsair water coolers though.
Can the H60 and H100i etc be tested without powering on the computer? As in, is there a way to turn the pump on and test for leaks in order to avoid something like what happened to Mad?
Yeah, jump your PSU with a paper clip (quick google for paper clip PSU trick), and then plug it in to one of the PSU connectors. I do this for leak testing my full loops.

Really though, it should not be a concern. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've heard of this happening with any closed loop cooler.

kennah

I'm gonna try go to a local shop at the other side of the street to find a cheap hair dryer. I'm really nervous and devastated.

In the meantime I'm installing Windows 7 on my USB so that's ready.

If you do use the hair dryer DO NOT use the heat setting. You could potentially damage the board. I'd just let it sit man

rKVr9Uj.jpg

If I delete Partition 2, will it free up space to make a New Partition, or will it just delete that space and brick the SSD?

Iminent is clinging onto that Partition like a leech, formatting it didn't work :(

mkenyon

Banned
Buying an i74770, can anyone tell me if the stock intel cooler is sufficient enough if I am NOT overclocking?
Yeah.

But you should overclock. 20-30% linear improvement.
rKVr9Uj.jpg

If I delete Partition 2, will it free up space to make a New Partition, or will it just delete that space and brick the SSD?

Iminent is clinging onto that Partition like a leech, formatting it didn't work :(
It should just delete the space.

Pachimari

If you do use the hair dryer DO NOT use the heat setting. You could potentially damage the board. I'd just let it sit man

Alright, I won't use a hair dryer and I have removed the parts from the heater. I'll just let them dry themselves until I hopefully get a new Corsair H60.

Do you guys think there's a good chance of everything still working fine? I never turned on the computer.

The water have been on the motherboard, CPU, inside the video card, in some wires etc though. The only things that doesn't seem to have been hit by the water is the HDD and SSD.

mkenyon

Banned
Good deal through EVGA right now for Case/PSU/mobo/cooler:

http://www.evga.com/articles/00826/

Alright, I won't use a hair dryer and I have removed the parts from the heater. I'll just let them dry themselves until I hopefully get a new Corsair H60.

Do you guys think there's a good chance of everything still working fine? I never turned on the computer.

The water have been on the motherboard, CPU, inside the video card, in some wires etc though. The only things that doesn't seem to have been hit by the water is the HDD and SSD.
As long as you didn't power on, and then wait till they are totally dry, they won't be affected in any way.

Speevy

Banned
Liquid just got the rest of the parts on my PC. I'm so excited!

Got an i5, 760, this is my first real gaming PC. I can't wait to finally play some of the games that have been chugging (or were not possible) on this Intel 3000 laptop.

mkenyon

Banned
im thinking about buying a refurbed gtx 780 (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487014) but before i do i have a question:

do you guys think that the gtx 880 will debut at the same price that the 780 debuted at ($650)?
It's a 1 year warranty due to being refurbished. You'd be safer with buying a used card that will still have whatever is remaining of the original 3 years.

If you still have hangups about that, then there are better deals through EVGA direct with their "B-Stock".

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8

No way of knowing with pricing. Everything is so wonky right now, it could go a number of ways. Still, the 880 probably won't be out until the end of this year, maybe the beginning of next.

maneil99

It's a 1 year warranty due to being refurbished. You'd be safer with buying a used card that will still have whatever is remaining of the original 3 years.

No way of knowing with pricing. Everything is so wonky right now, it could go a number of ways. Still, the 880 probably won't be out until the end of this year, maybe the beginning of next.
Nvidia announced its coming second half 2014, so June the earliest

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

If you still have hangups about that, then there are better deals through EVGA direct with their "B-Stock".

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8

thanks for the link. it's an intriguing option but shipping to canada is $50 CDN : [

What would you guys build if you were on a budget of $1300? Main use will be gaming. I'm thinking pretty much the excellent - best overall list in the OP. He also needs to buy a monitor. Upgrades to that would be a 250 GB SSD? Not sure how much room there is to play with after adding in a monitor to that list. Helping a friend pick out parts and wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks

Pachimari

Well, a guy from my area just came and introduced himself as he has been building computers for a long while, and he will test if the wet parts works tomorrow, and if I can't get a new water cooler, then he have one lying around he says.

did you wipe your old drivers before installing the new ones? that cooooooooould be it from what ive read.

I'd totally forgot that i'd bios flashed by old card.

I just did that with the Ti and now need to tweak voltages to see how far i can push it and have it be stable.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, a guy from my area just came and introduced himself as he has been building computers for a long while, and he will test if the wet parts works tomorrow, and if I can't get a new water cooler, then he have one lying around he says.
PC Builders always seem to come forward and help like that. Love it.
What would you guys build if you were on a budget of $1300? Main use will be gaming. I'm thinking pretty much the excellent - best overall list in the OP. He also needs to buy a monitor. Upgrades to that would be a 250 GB SSD? Not sure how much room there is to play with after adding in a monitor to that list. Helping a friend pick out parts and wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks
Yeah, go for the excellent. If competitive and multiplayer gaming is a big part of it, I'd nab the VG248QE, a Steelseries Rival, and decent mousepad as well.
Any examples of games that will chug? I'm not really going for modern AAA big first person shooters ala Titanfall, Battlefield etc. I do want to play Dark Souls, Castlevania ultimate edition and now South Park..

Thanks in advance,
Skyrim, Unreal Engine 3 games, multiplayer games, Far Cry 3 (and whatever games are on a similar engine to it), MMOs. Some games are very CPU dependent. I am not sure about Dark Souls, though I'd imagine there aren't any issues there.
NVIDIA says second half of 2014, so they interpret it to mean Q3?

Lots of rumors out of wccftech don't pan out, so I wouldn't take that as an NVIDIA "announcement".

S.W.

Hello Gafs.

I have recently built a new rig and only migrated the GTX670 from the old six yeas old rig. The card was purchased last year and it worked fine on my old rig, but it started to fail in about two weeks after I put it in my new rig. It's totally fine only if I just use it without running any software requiring 3D acceleration including all the modern browsers, windows 8 explorer.exe, video player, and you know, games.

It's probably not driver's fault since I clean installed at least 6 different versions of drivers including the good olde 314.22, and they all crashed when hardware acceleration kicks in. I can reproducing this 100% by booting -> login windows -> doubleclick a 1080p video on my desktop and then 10 sec later I'll have a wall of nvlddmkm errors, system slow down, shutters, and then black screen, sometimes reboot itself. I mean, this IS a video card error, right? Since the memtest came back clean, all versions of driver not helping, flashing bios doesn't seem to increase stability also...

Please share the wisdom :(
I haven't built pc for a very long time....

Coldsnap

I sorta wish PC enthusiasts would just shut up when they don't know what their talking about. The good people are all here in the thread, but it's the damn people who built a computer 4 years ago and still thinks their knowledge is up to date. Or had their mom buy them a Titan so they think it's the best card ever.

Sort of hard to build a computer for someone now adays because everyone is a self proclaimed expert. I keep on hearing well my friend said this and my friend said that. Now the person I tried to build a computer for is getting a K processor that we can't even overclock and upgraded some needless parts thus for-going a SSD.

That's one reason why I don't like shooting the shit about PCs in real life. This thread has taught me when building a PC you should take a complete scientific approach and have no pre conceived notions and only stick to the empirical scientific evidence of which part is better and which isn't.

NoRéN

I sorta wish PC enthusiasts would just shut up when they don't know what their talking about. The good people are all here in the thread, but it's the damn people who built a computer 4 years ago and still thinks their knowledge is up to date. Or had their mom buy them a Titan so they think it's the best card ever.

Sort of hard to build a computer for someone now adays because everyone is a self proclaimed expert. I keep on hearing well my friend said this and my friend said that. Now the person I tried to build a computer for is getting a K processor that we can't even overclock and upgraded some needless parts thus for-going a SSD.

That's one reason why I don't like shooting the shit about PCs in real life. This thread has taught me when building a PC you should take a complete scientific approach and have no pre conceived notions and only stick to the empirical scientific evidence of which part is better and which isn't.
BRAVO!!!

Luckily, you can really tell who you can trust in this thread(a handful) and who fits the description in your first paragraph.

Speevy

Banned
Liquid finished my build and is doing some cleanup, so hopefully we'll have some pics soon. This is sooooo awesome.

Coldsnap

Maybe someone can help me solve my internet problem mystery. My internet will seem to get super slow all of a sudden, like right now I can't buffer a video from youtube or giantbomb. Yet when I run a speed test at Speedtest.net my Ping is 16ms, download 56.32Mbps, and upload 5.78Mbps.

Using the motorolla surfboard modem and the black night asus router.

Fuck

Formatted both the System and Primary partitions of the SSD, Iminent is still there. Installing W8 now on the good HDD, if Iminent spread to there as well I'll have to make do with the crappy old HDD until I can figure out how to get rid of Iminent, or buy some new storage.

What a massive cunt of a piece of malware.

What's the best virus-protection software? If Defender let that through, christ knows what else is out there just waiting for an idiot like me to download it.

maneil99

Hello Gafs.

I have recently built a new rig and only migrated the GTX670 from the old six yeas old rig. The card was purchased last year and it worked fine on my old rig, but it started to fail in about two weeks after I put it in my new rig. It's totally fine only if I just use it without running any software requiring 3D acceleration including all the modern browsers, windows 8 explorer.exe, video player, and you know, games.

It's probably not driver's fault since I clean installed at least 6 different versions of drivers including the good olde 314.22, and they all crashed when hardware acceleration kicks in. I can reproducing this 100% by booting -> login windows -> doubleclick a 1080p video on my desktop and then 10 sec later I'll have a wall of nvlddmkm errors, system slow down, shutters, and then black screen, sometimes reboot itself. I mean, this IS a video card error, right? Since the memtest came back clean, all versions of driver not helping, flashing bios doesn't seem to increase stability also...

Please share the wisdom :(
I haven't built pc for a very long time....

I think we talked earlier. Does the 670 work in the old rig if you put it back in?

maneil99

Fuck

Formatted both the System and Primary partitions of the SSD, Iminent is still there. Installing W8 now on the good HDD, if Iminent spread to there as well I'll have to make do with the crappy old HDD until I can figure out how to get rid of Iminent, or buy some new storage.

What a massive cunt of a piece of malware.

What's the best virus-protection software? If Defender let that through, christ knows what else is out there just waiting for an idiot like me to download it.

You could delete the partitions through Windows install and it will recreate a new partition, never heard of software staying after that. If you delete both partitions it will recreate them for you. You can't really break anything in windows install

maneil99

Maybe someone can help me solve my internet problem mystery. My internet will seem to get super slow all of a sudden, like right now I can't buffer a video from youtube or giantbomb. Yet when I run a speed test at Speedtest.net my Ping is 16ms, download 56.32Mbps, and upload 5.78Mbps.

What windows? I had an issue sorta similar with windows 7, after a fresh install all my games pings were much higher, needed a windows update. It could also be your ISP, next time it happens pull out your phone and try to watch the same video, also is it wireless or wired?

Fuck

I am also wondering this question. (Mainly just to get more information) Running MWB full edition and whatever the built in Windows 8.1 thing was.

Coldsnap

What windows? I had an issue sorta similar with windows 7, after a fresh install all my games pings were much higher, needed a windows update. It could also be your ISP, next time it happens pull out your phone and try to watch the same video, also is it wireless or wired?

It's windows 8. Good idea with the phone, I'll try that. It's wired and wireless laptop and gaming pc thats hard wired have the same problem.

You could delete the partitions through Windows install and it will recreate a new partition, never heard of software staying after that. If you delete both partitions it will recreate them for you. You can't really break anything in windows install

When I asked earlier whether I had to delete the partitions o create new ones, I was told that it would delete the space. Maybe that was a misunderstanding on my part, but I need to be 100% sure that by choosing Delete, it will merely wipe that section of the storage and let me create a new Partition as opposed to wiping the entire usage of that section of storage.

I'd be devestated to accidentally brick the SSD/HDD by Deleting the partitions in the hope that it'd allow me to create new ones

If I am safe to delete the Partitions, do I delete both System and Primary partitions?

edit: It feels like a budget version of Die Hard 4

maneil99

When I asked earlier whether I had to delete the partitions o create new ones, I was told that it would delete the space. Maybe that was a misunderstanding on my part, but I need to be 100% sure that by choosing Delete, it will merely wipe that section of the storage and let me create a new Partition as opposed to wiping the entire usage of that section of storage.

I'd be devestated to accidentally brick the SSD/HDD by Deleting the partitions in the hope that it'd allow me to create new ones

If I am safe to delete the Partitions, do I delete both System and Primary partitions?

All I can guarantee is you won't lose the space on the HDD, I have no idea about SSDs. As far as the HDD goes you can delete both.

mkenyon

Banned
Liquid finished my build and is doing some cleanup, so hopefully we'll have some pics soon. This is sooooo awesome.
Please do!

How old is the router?

Where are you getting this from? I've never ever ever heard of that.
Aren't EVGA PSU's/Motherboards a bit mid-lower grade? I remember alot of complaints.
They were the cat's meow back in X58 days. Then ASUS sniped their main guy, who is now the person behind a lot of the RoG stuff. Then along came P67, Z68, Z77, and X79. They had terrible products. But they really strove to turn that around, and released a Z77 board late (the Stinger) which was good, as well as the EVGA Dark X79, which is also great. The Z87 Stinger is a good ITX board, especially at that discount price. At the normal MSRP, it's hard to suggest it when the Z87 Impact is only a tad more.

Their PSUs are hit and miss, and it all depends on which OEM they use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom