• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is the best hard disk manufacturer to go with these days? Does anybody even make HDD's like samsung used to?

Looking at 2/3 TB drives BTW.

Western Digital Blacks. I don't have hard data about their reliability but the fact they are providing 5 year warranty as opposed to standard 2 year seen these days must mean they are reliable.

Teddified

I dunno if this question really fits here, but I'm looking for a nice TV that's around 23". But has 2/3 HDMI ports since I use it as a second monitor. But I still want to use it as a TV, have a cable connection into it.

Basically I have a monitor I do computer stuff on and a TV which I use as a second monitor for games/using for PS4/PS3 games. And after getting a new monitor I've noticed how crappy the TV I'm currently using is.

So I'm just hoping for some suggestions on the matter so I can look into buying maybe in a few months.

Speevy

Banned
Yeah, you can't really do much wrong with Samsung TVs. It has 475 reviews and nearly a five star rating. I think it's perfect for how you're using it.

Teddified

Yeah, you can't really do much wrong with Samsung TVs. It has 475 reviews and nearly a five star rating. I think it's perfect for how you're using it.

Yeah looks about what I wanted. I'm just don't know enough about the quality and stuff to make a sure decision. Thanks.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
How did you install Windows? Was it via USB? If so, remove the USB drive. If youve already done that, go into BIOS and make sure whichever drive you installed Windows is now the boot device

Edit: Actually, is your PC connected to the internet? After I installed Windows and the splash screen came up, all of my USB devices were not functioning until i connected the PC with a wireless dongle.

I updated the mobo BIOS and everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the help, I'll keep those tips in mind if it happens again.

BBboy20

I have to ask: I still use a CRT monitor and pretty much stick with 1024x768. Would getting a affordable mid-card be good enough to last a long time since I don't do large screen sizes as I still use a GTX260.

Ashhong

I'm just gonna throw this out there. I'm buying a Samsung 250gb 840 EVO right now to prolong the life of my desktop before I build a new one eventually. Found one at a good price but doesn't include the desktop mounting hardware.

Does anybody have an extra SSD mounting bracket that they arent using that I can have? <3

b0bbyJ03

Can anyone provide tips on how to troubleshoot video card performance. My GTX 780 is giving me about 25 frames a sec on BF3 single player (1080p, high settings). any place to start would be appreciated. thanks

kennah

I'm just gonna throw this out there. I'm buying a Samsung 250gb 840 EVO right now to prolong the life of my desktop before I build a new one eventually. Found one at a good price but doesn't include the desktop mounting hardware.

Does anybody have an extra SSD mounting bracket that they arent using that I can have? <3
Use two sided tape to stick it anywhere.

Rufus

Can anyone provide tips on how to troubleshoot video card performance. My GTX 780 is giving me about 25 frames a sec on BF3 single player (1080p, high settings). any place to start would be appreciated. thanks
Is it actually using the 780, and not onboard graphics? Drivers up to date?

b0bbyJ03

Is it actually using the 780, and not onboard graphics? Drivers up to date?

Yes, i've tried the last to versions of Nvidia drivers (I did not unintall the old version, i just went straight to install the new drivers, not sure if that matters). As far as it being on board graphics im not sure how i would check that.

b0bbyJ03

First of all, do you even have on-board graphics? What are your specs?

yes, here is a list of my components:

ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge

CORSAIR CX series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Some nice lessons learned packing up this PC whole. I had almost the entirety of the innards packed with air bag cushion which I save from all my Newegg/Amazon packages. It's really snug inside then I cut out a piece of cardboard to cover where the side panel would be and then screwed that back on. Shipping it in the box the case came in with some padding around the sides as well as the cords, screws, and other odds and ends in the crevices on the sides. Pretty happy with the result as this is the 2nd whole PC I've shipped but first that's completely intact. All Speevy should have to do is unbox it and plug/play.

Does anyone have experience hooking up 4 x360 controllers or something similar to a pc through a usb hub? I want a good multiplayer pc gaming setup in my living room but i'm not sure if you can run a bunch of controllers through 1 usb hub and have it work fine.

Thanks

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Does anyone have experience hooking up 4 x360 controllers or something similar to a pc through a usb hub? I want a good multiplayer pc gaming setup in my living room but i'm not sure if you can run a bunch of controllers through 1 usb hub and have it work fine.

Thanks

The wireless 360 receiver is probably the easiest way to facilitate local mp with 360 pads in my opinion.

wildfire

Banned
I have a point of contention I want to make now. SSD's are mandatory to PC gaming.

I brought one awhile ago but it's only recently I decided to use it after I scrounged up a windows 7 ultimate box to move on from XP.

Something that isn't talked about much is how frustrating it is to use hard drives after you add more programs over time. Even with defragmentation and other techniques to tune up your PC a regular harddrive becomes sluggish.

I'm gaming a lot more now than I did in the past few year solely because I wasn't dreading how painful the loading times were going to be. Guild Wars 2, Planetside, Skyrim, Portal 2 all load so much faster and I don't have to listen to my hard drive croaking as the platters spin trying to access the data.

Even compared to when I first freshly installed XP and played Starcraft 2 my gaming experience is a lot more comfortable with an SSD.

At this point I see the any budget recommendations without an SSD as extremely flawed because if you are giving someone inferior parts to work with then they will have an even more uncomfortable time using their software than they would if they used a reliable (since there are certain caveats about them besides price) SSD.

I have a point of contention I want to make now. SSD's are mandatory to PC gaming.

I brought one awhile ago but it's only recently I decided to use it after I scrounged up a windows 7 ultimate box to move on from XP.

Something that isn't talked about much is how frustrating it is to use hard drives after you add more programs over time. Even with defragmentation and other techniques to tune up your PC a regular harddrive becomes sluggish.

I'm gaming a lot more now than I did in the past few year solely because I wasn't dreading how painful the loading times were going to be. Guild Wars 2, Planetside, Skyrim, Portal 2 all load so much faster and I don't have to listen to my hard drive croaking as the platters spin trying to access the data.

Even compared to when I first freshly installed XP and played Starcraft 2 my gaming experience is a lot more comfortable with an SSD.

At this point I see the any budget recommendations without an SSD as extremely flawed because if you are giving someone inferior parts to work with then they will have an even more uncomfortable time using their software than they would if they used a reliable (since there are certain caveats about them besides price) SSD.

For PC gaming they are far from mandatory. Those happen to be games with a lot of loading, and you seem particularly bothered by the loading. However, titles keep streaming more assets, lowering the amount of loading that is done and a SSD does not even help much in many games.

I love SSDs, but gaming is actually the last thing I would recommend it for. You need to compromise, there are few people in this thread that would not recommend a SSD, but at low budgets you have to make cuts. When you are gaming you constantly know the different between a high or low framerate or high and low settings, and with the SSD you only can know a difference at loading screens.

And you'd have a much lower capacity, with games getting bigger that is really not something you want.

I want SSDs for certain games...especially BF4, but I actually don't care much these days. I need an SSD for super fast boot times, web browsing, general OS use, etc.

These days during long load times in games I just tab out and browse gaf or something.

For PC gaming they are far from mandatory. Those happen to be games with a lot of loading, and you seem particularly bothered by the loading. However, titles keep streaming more assets, lowering the amount of loading that is done and a SSD does not even help much in many games.

I love SSDs, but gaming is actually the last thing I would recommend it for. You need to compromise, there are few people in this thread that would not recommend a SSD, but at low budgets you have to make cuts. When you are gaming you constantly know the different between a high or low framerate or high and low settings, and with the SSD you only can know a difference at loading screens.

And you'd have a much lower capacity, with games getting bigger that is really not something you want.

What type of programs would you use an SSD for? I'm trying to get a better understanding of its use-case. OS is a given, Media files and documents are a no go, and programs that are relatively fast already like word processors don't benefit much either. What type of programs and files would actually result in a performance increase? With my current view of things, why would you ever need more than 120GB, especially given their reliability is suspect?

Rufus

yes, here is a list of my components:

ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS
OK, that has integrated graphics.

I don't remember BF3 settings well enough to know if you can switch the GPU from there. If it does, look for primary display driver or something like that and switch it to whatever your 780 shows up as. Btw, is this just happening in BF3?

Should that not be an option, you can just deactivate the on-board graphics, which will force anything to run off your 780. First, go into your devices manager to see what graphics devices Windows sees, just so you don't look at a black screen and have to reset your BIOS. If it sees both go into your BIOS settings (mash DEL during boot) and turn off on-board graphics. Your mobo manual will help you navigate the BIOS, but it should be straightforward enough to find the correct setting.

Bii

So I tried OC'ing my 4670k last night (I have a Hyper 212 EVO cooler installed). All I changed in BIOS was the multiplier from 34 to 44. I ran Prime95 for six hours and RealTemp is telling me that at maximum temps, the first core ran up to 93C! The second and third cores were 90C and the last was just 74C. Every time I would check it during the span of its test, the temps would only hover around 35-40C at 100% load. I guess maybe I should run Prime95 with all settings at factory defaults and see how my temps are before I do anything else?

Edit: besides the high temps, Prime95 did not report any errors.

I recently started getting an error saying

"Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered"

and i can't figure out the source of the issue. What could it be?

This is normally the result of your video card failing and having to restart. This is normally due to overheating. When/How are you getting this error? Does it occur regularly when playing games or doing something intensive? Have you tried running a widget, or something that can tell you what the current temp of your card is? Basically more info is needed.

DJ_Lae

Really that's fine? Could I just leave it on the bottom of my case then?

Yup. I know people like to put it behind the back panel with all the cables too, get it out of sight.

I have mine taped to the bottom of my 5.25" drive cage (with blue painter's tape no less, I had no two sided tape on hand and have yet to replace it).

This is normally the result of your video card failing and having to restart. This is normally due to overheating. When/How are you getting this error? Does it occur regularly when playing games or doing something intensive? Have you tried running a widget, or something that can tell you what the current temp of your card is? Basically more info is needed.

Sometimes it will happen as soon as I turn on the computer and just start browsing the web or even if I'm watching a video. The highest temp I've seen it go up to is about 60c and never past that. I have msi afterburner on to check the current temp on as well.

shimrra

My pc is acting up so I've held off long enough, I think its time for me to build myself a new pc.

Current:
AMD Phenom 9850 Quad Core
8gb ram
GTX 550 Ti
Win 7 64bit

Thinking of going Intel this time around.

My pc is acting up so I've held off long enough, I think its time for me to build myself a new pc.

Current:
8gb ram
GTX 550 Ti
Win 7 64bit

Looks like that rig lasted you a good while! I while heartily recommend going Intel for your new CPU, the performance delta is just too great right now. If you need help making a build post what your looking to do with it and a budget and we'll help you out!

b0bbyJ03

OK, that has integrated graphics.

I don't remember BF3 settings well enough to know if you can switch the GPU from there. If it does, look for primary display driver or something like that and switch it to whatever your 780 shows up as. Btw, is this just happening in BF3?

Should that not be an option, you can just deactivate the on-board graphics, which will force anything to run off your 780. First, go into your devices manager to see what graphics devices Windows sees, just so you don't look at a black screen and have to reset your BIOS. If it sees both go into your BIOS settings (mash DEL during boot) and turn off on-board graphics. Your mobo manual will help you navigate the BIOS, but it should be straightforward enough to find the correct setting.

I really appreciate this. I'll take a look as soon as i get home from work. And to answer your question, no it also happens on Metro last light.

Geneijin

So I tried OC'ing my 4670k last night (I have a Hyper 212 EVO cooler installed). All I changed in BIOS was the multiplier from 34 to 44. I ran Prime95 for six hours and RealTemp is telling me that at maximum temps, the first core ran up to 93C! The second and third cores were 90C and the last was just 74C. Every time I would check it during the span of its test, the temps would only hover around 35-40C at 100% load. I guess maybe I should run Prime95 with all settings at factory defaults and see how my temps are before I do anything else?

Edit: besides the high temps, Prime95 did not report any errors.
You could probably lower your temps if you manually adjusted the voltage although good luck getting 4.4 ghz @ 1.2V. Overclocking myself right now, and my first stabilized OC is 4.1 ghz @ 1135 mV. Temps never got higher than 71 C. Trying 43 with 1225 mV currently.

Oh, and question for anyone here. After I ran Prime95 for 24 hours and checked my settings were good, can I change my RAM default emory profile to XMP and not have to run another stress test? Can I assume it'll be good? Apologies for all the questions.

Smokey

I really appreciate this. I'll take a look as soon as i get home from work. And to answer your question, no it also happens on Metro last light.

If you never went into BIOS and disabled the on board GPU that's probably what's going on since it happens in other titles as well.

mkenyon

Banned
so at the current inflated prices is there ANY reason at all to buy amd over nvidia for gaming purposes?
Nope. It's funny, because AMD always had the price:performance crown, and NVIDIA always had the best features. NVIDIA still has the best features, especially G-Sync and Shadowplay.

Current:
8gb ram
GTX 550 Ti
Win 7 64bit

I used to have the same proc on my main gaming machine, it was a good one.

But yeah, time to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom