• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamassu

Banned
Sometimes it will happen as soon as I turn on the computer and just start browsing the web or even if I'm watching a video. The highest temp I've seen it go up to is about 60c and never past that. I have msi afterburner on to check the current temp on as well.

It used to happen to me all the time a while ago and all of a sudden it stopped and went back to normal, I did update the drivers but I doubt that was what solved the problem.

Anyone know of a way to get Windows 8.1 without doing it through the Windows Store? Download keeps stopping at 1%

I can't properly research it now while I'm at work. But I know the .isos are available to download completely legally... somewhere. Once you find the version you're looking for you need to using their Win 8 setup program or the Win 7 USB/DVD download tool to turn the iso into a bootable flash drive

shimrra

Looks like that rig lasted you a good while! I while heartily recommend going Intel for your new CPU, the performance delta is just too great right now. If you need help making a build post what your looking to do with it and a budget and we'll help you out!

Thanks, Intel looks like the way to go and thanks for the help. I was looking at going max $500.

Drem

Neo Member
Hello. I'm building my first computer and was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I'm having with my case, the Corsair Carbide 400R. There are small nubs right under the window for the Power Supply that I think are what's stopping my power supply (Corsair CX600M) from lining up with the screw holes (see picture below). They are also scratching the heck out of my power supply. I thought it was a defect and got my case exchanged but the new one has it too. Does anyone know if these nubs are supposed to be there or how I should be seating my power supply? Thanks a lot.

Picture link: http://i.imgur.com/EGrZ3C5.jpg

Drem

Neo Member
Yeah, I was just coming to edit my post to add that this problem happens when I have my PSU fan facing downwards into the dust filter. If I put it with the fan facing up into the case I think it actually looks alright. That's not supposed to happen, right? The fan should be facing down shouldn't it?

Edit: Are some PSUs maybe designed to be placed specifically at the top of the case? Maybe that's my problem?

Geneijin

Hello. I'm building my first computer and was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I'm having with my case, the Corsair Carbide 400R. There are small nubs right under the window for the Power Supply that I think are what's stopping my power supply (Corsair CX600M) from lining up with the screw holes (see picture below). They are also scratching the heck out of my power supply. I thought it was a defect and got my case exchanged but the new one has it too. Does anyone know if these nubs are supposed to be there or how I should be seating my power supply? Thanks a lot.

Picture link: http://i.imgur.com/EGrZ3C5.jpg
Yeah, it's normal. I have the Carbide 400R too. You're suppose to have the PSU fan faced down on the dust filter.

Edit: Rereading your question again, I inserted and pressed my PSU against the panel with the mounted mobo, and then, slid it toward the opening to get a snug fit. Never had problems with it scratching PSUs before, and I used a CX500 earlier too when troubleshooting my system.

It doesn't matter which way it faces at all.
Oh? That's good to know. I like using the dust filter though :lol

Drem

Neo Member
Oh, I see. Thanks a lot for the help! This really threw me for a loop because everywhere I've read has said PSU should face downwards.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh, I see. Thanks a lot for the help! This really threw me for a loop because everywhere I've read has said PSU should face downwards.
Yeah, people assume things must be a certain way because the cases are designed for it. Theoretically, it means your PSU is drawing in super cool air from beneath the case and exhausting it out of the back. However, the internal temp of a case is within a few degrees C of ambient, so it's no big deal.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I have a slight issue with Windows 8. I can't activate Win 8 key because its apparently an upgrade key and I don't have my Windows 7 key anymore to install that. Any way around it or should I just buy one of those reddit 8.1 keys for $20.

Azzurri

Would it be a good idea to buy 690 if I could find it for cheap, then hopefully upgrade to the 790 if and when it's released, then sell the 690? This would be for a mITX build.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Install again over top of your Windows 8 Install. (Seriously).

I figured it would be that easy. I thought Windows 7 would ask me for the activation key and since I don't have that. I'll try it once I get home, thanks.

Azzurri

Current card?

It's a 3.5 year old GTX 580. I would be building a whole new system, so wouldn't mbe reusing any parts. Just thought if it would be a good idea. Oh yea 1440p is my monitor res.

There is actually one on Cragislist for 650$ eVGA GTX 690 Signature Edition

I would be going with the Corsair 250D which can take a full fledged PSU.

Smokey

For those that have bought Samsung SSDs.. Is there some kind of migration program that comes with it or is available?

Currently has W8 and a few games on my Intel SSD. Want to move the OS and all to the new Samsung SSD.

Or maybe it's better to do a fresh install on the new SSD.

mkenyon

Banned
It's a 3.5 year old GTX 580. I would be building a whole new system, so wouldn't mbe reusing any parts. Just thought if it would be a good idea. Oh yea 1440p is my monitor res.

There is actually one on Cragislist for 650$ eVGA GTX 690 Signature Edition

I would be going with the Corsair 250D which can take a full fledged PSU.
I'd go with a 780Ti over a 690.

Have you thought about using Powerline Adapters?

I live in an apartment on the top of a three story building. I have no idea if my outlets are all on the same circuit or not... how would I know? I guess I'd have to buy them and return them if they don't work?

Speevy

Banned
I agree that SSDs offer a huge jump in performance, so I may upgrade to one later on.

Does anyone have experience using software that makes this process almost automatic, while offering the same performance that you would get from a fresh build/install? If so, what software did you use?

What type of programs would you use an SSD for? I'm trying to get a better understanding of its use-case. OS is a given, Media files and documents are a no go, and programs that are relatively fast already like word processors don't benefit much either. What type of programs and files would actually result in a performance increase? With my current view of things, why would you ever need more than 120GB, especially given their reliability is suspect?

Most people? Not a whole lot.

But I have a lot of programs from Adobe and things like game engines or programming environments. Having most programs boot faster makes it worth it for me, I would probably also put a word processor on there if I would have the space (I only have 64 GB and need to upgrade).

It is also handy because I boot up way too many programs when I start up my PC (Spotify, Steam, Chrome, D3DOverrider and a whole lot more). Would go faster if I could put them all on my SSD.

I doubt many people would need a lot more than 120GB, and very few more than 250GB if you have a HDD besides that of course. But it is a nice convenience. And then you can also keep your games on there. Even when I would not consider it the best use of a SSD, it still has its benefits.

Also I don't agree with their reliability being worse, HDDs don't have the best reputation with that anyway.

helping my friend select his build. This is where we are at

gtRfp80.png

Any recommendations on a power supply? He has a secondary hdd,keyboard, mouse and monitor already. And would you change anything to make it more affordable without sacrificing much power?

Tablo

^Get a dual channel set of RAM, so 2x8GB sticks. Not 4x4 as you have it now.
For power supplies stick to Seasonic if within your budget.

Guess Who

Banned
My current card is a GeForce 560 Ti, OC'd to 900MHz. It's served me well, and even most newer games still look great on it, but I've been noticing some artifacting issues lately and am looking into replacing it. What's the best card these days in the $250 range, and how much of an improvement would it be?

appaws

Banned
Most people? Not a whole lot.

But I have a lot of programs from Adobe and things like game engines or programming environments. Having most programs boot faster makes it worth it for me, I would probably also put a word processor on there if I would have the space (I only have 64 GB and need to upgrade).

It is also handy because I boot up way too many programs when I start up my PC (Spotify, Steam, Chrome, D3DOverrider and a whole lot more). Would go faster if I could put them all on my SSD.

I doubt many people would need a lot more than 120GB, and very few more than 250GB if you have a HDD besides that of course. But it is a nice convenience. And then you can also keep your games on there. Even when I would not consider it the best use of a SSD, it still has its benefits.

Also I don't agree with their reliability being worse, HDDs don't have the best reputation with that anyway.

I have to say that I thought the same when I got my first SSD....a 120GB Samsung. Maybe its a trivial thing, I don't know....but I hate moving things back and forth, even with something as easy as steammover. And sometimes my wife does weird stuff, like downloading things that have something to do with couponing....and they end up on my C: drive and it just bothers me.

Anyway, I think 250GB would be the minimum I would suggest to a gamer these days. Some of these installs are getting pretty darn big. And windows takes up a lot of room on a 120GB drive, plus the 10% space they suggest you leave empty.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd replace that case with something else to allow for a nicer motherboard. Or, just replace the case with something nicer in the same price range.

Are you *sure* you need a DVD drive?

Replace PSU with Seasonic G Series 650 modular which is usually $100-105.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
For those that have bought Samsung SSDs.. Is there some kind of migration program that comes with it or is available?

Currently has W8 and a few games on my Intel SSD. Want to move the OS and all to the new Samsung SSD.

Or maybe it's better to do a fresh install on the new SSD.

All SW is on the site. My 240 Pro stuff is here for example.

I'd replace that case with something else to allow for a nicer motherboard. Or, just replace the case with something nicer in the same price range.

Are you *sure* you need a DVD drive?

Replace PSU with Seasonic G Series 650 modular which is usually $100-105.

yes still want the DVD drive. What's wrong with that mobo?

Jafku

I have to say that I thought the same when I got my first SSD....a 120GB Samsung. Maybe its a trivial thing, I don't know....but I hate moving things back and forth, even with something as easy as steammover. And sometimes my wife does weird stuff, like downloading things that have something to do with couponing....and they end up on my C: drive and it just bothers me.

Anyway, I think 250GB would be the minimum I would suggest to a gamer these days. Some of these installs are getting pretty darn big. And windows takes up a lot of room on a 120GB drive, plus the 10% space they suggest you leave empty.
Agreed. Upgrading from a Hyperx 3K 120GB to an 840 EVO 250GB

so at the current inflated prices is there ANY reason at all to buy amd over nvidia for gaming purposes?

I was wondering the same thing. The price difference makes me want to go Nvidia pretty much instantly, but then again, I'm wondering if Mantle is worth the price.

I don't know. I don't need a new build immediately, so I'm kind of weighing my options for now.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thanks. So you used it for migration? If so everything went smooth?

And did you get your SLI situation fixed? Kinda eh on heading back in to the SLI waters but we'll see.

I toned down my OC on the CPU. The 3930k uses a ton of power when anywhere near 4.5ghz. I have the 780ti's moderately OC'd and the CPU at 4.0ghz with about a 1.200vcore.

That migration tool is for installed drives. It has a nice explanation on how to it in the docs.

maneil99

I was wondering the same thing. The price difference makes me want to go Nvidia pretty much instantly, but then again, I'm wondering if Mantle is worth the price.

I don't know. I don't need a new build immediately, so I'm kind of weighing my options for now.
Mantle is only in a few games and Direct X 12 is being announced in 3 weeks.

mkenyon

Banned
yes still want the DVD drive. What's wrong with that mobo?
Nothing exactly, it's just that you're spending a lot on a case that isn't great, and is way oversized. If that money could be spent on something, then a better motherboard would be my first pick. I really really like the Gigabyte UD3H, so I try to push people towards it.

But, I'd really suggest looking at the cases in the OP. The Thor is really designed as a budget watercooling case, with space for a number of very large radiators. This just means it's oversized, heavy, and hard to move for no appreciable gain on your side. Get something quieter, or something with higher quality fit and finish, or something with a better internal layout. Or all three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom