• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Testing the waters here as I need some money for a new car part.

1 barely used Gigabyte OC Edition 780ti for 660 shipped.

Will come with AC4 and Splinter Cell Blacklist. GPU is complete with box and packaging

mkenyon

Banned

Will come with AC4 and Splinter Cell Blacklist. GPU is complete with box and packaging
Would if it were reference PCB. I'll see if any pals are interested though.

Panzon

Anyone here have experience with the EVGA step up program?

Since I'm putting together this Haswell build
I wanna make sure Im able to upgrade without losing an arm and a leg once Maxwell and that new 800 series hits the market

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone here have experience with the EVGA step up program?

Since I'm putting together this Haswell build
I wanna make sure Im able to upgrade without losing an arm and a leg once Maxwell and that new 800 series hits the market
It's only good for 90 days.

mkenyon

Banned
Damnit! How difficult is it to sell PC parts online?
Pretty easy. Warranties transfer over, so it's not as scary as it once was for buyers.

I use Overclock.net for most of my stuff, but HardOCP is pretty good if you have Heat. Sold a bunch of stuff on GAF too.

Ieu

ssd folks, how do yall itunes?

fucking piece of trash always does its thing a bit wacky, theres no real way to have it all on a separate drive. You can do music and apps i think, but your ios backups and new updates can't be moved... i think?

Space isn't THAT tight is it? Just delete the updates and download them on the device. You'll actually update quicker as iOS devices can run incremental patches rather than downloading the full OS.

Panzon

Pretty easy. Warranties transfer over, so it's not as scary as it once was for buyers.

I use Overclock.net for most of my stuff, but HardOCP is pretty good if you have Heat. Sold a bunch of stuff on GAF too.
This puts my mind at ease. Thanks!

Ashhong

fucking piece of trash always does its thing a bit wacky, theres no real way to have it all on a separate drive. You can do music and apps i think, but your ios backups and new updates can't be moved... i think?

I don't think you can move your backup location, though you could just backup to cloud. Regarding updates, what I did is I manually download the IPSW file and then pres shift+update later to update the phone.

Mohasus

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but how do I remove steamos (Steam OS) from the boot list on UEFI? The HDD where it was installed isn't even in my computer anymore.

It's only downloading so don't stress it. Can you manually DL it? I've never had the Magician SW fail during a DL.
Yea, it didn't download anything. I forced quit the app, restared the PC, everything in order. Reinstalled the Magician, tried again, nothing. It zips to 50% and then nothing. Must be a bug on their end. If someone can confirm this I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

KTT

Quick question: I've got a few Kingwin 120mm fans in my new build that I got free after rebate from tigerdirect. I doubt that they're super high quality. Would it make a difference if I were to replace them with the stock case fans from my old Antec P180B? I'm not using the Antec case for anything, so it wouldn't be inconvenient for me to switch them. But if it wouldn't really make any difference, I'll just leave the free ones in there

I'll be overclocking, by the way. 4670k and a Zalman Optima CPU cooler.

Also, would the fan filters from the P180B work with my new Corsair 200R? They're in different states or I would just check myself.

(Sorry for the repost but I'm leaving tomorrow and don't want to bring them with me if they'll be incompatible :/)

mkenyon

Banned
Crosspost from B/S/T:

For sale: Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 w/ Crucial M4 256GB mSATA SSD. $300 for both, $200 for just the board.

vI5XxXEh.jpg

The mSATA drive is mounted on the board itself, so no need for cables for storage.

This is a top of the line board, bought it for $400 a year ago. Has a PLX chip to multiply PCI-E lanes for a full x16/x16/x8/x8 4-way SLI/Crossfire support. It's my most favorite motherboard ever, but I'm moving on to smaller form factors.

scogoth

Fastest computer purchase I ever made, thanks mkenyon

EVGA Hadron Air w/ PSU
Asus M-VI Impact mITX
EVGA GTX 750Ti
16GB ADATA RAM
EVGA Slim slot load DVDRW
Reuse SSD

Planned build 4:30pm, purchased by 5:28pm....

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Crosspost from B/S/T:

For sale: Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 w/ Crucial M4 256GB mSATA SSD. $300 for both, $200 for just the board.

The mSATA drive is mounted on the board itself, so no need for cables for storage.

This is a top of the line board, bought it for $400 a year ago. Has a PLX chip to multiply PCI-E lanes for a full x16/x16/x8/x8 4-way SLI/Crossfire support. It's my most favorite motherboard ever, but I'm moving on to smaller form factors.
That board is so nice it's STUPID

TheDanger

Banned
So I'm getting way worse performance in games than I should (even though it's a low end setup), especially with cpu demanding games.

FX-4100 3.6 GHz
8 GB RAM
GTX 550 TI
Win 8.1 Pro

I get 10 -20 frames in Saints Row The Third for example, with everything on lowest settings and 720p.

Now I noticed something, after I boot my system it shows my cpu speed 3.64 GHz, but after I launch a game it suddenly drops to 1.33 GHz in task manager.
You can see the maximum speed on the right, it doesn't go back up when I quit the game. Initially I thought it happened because of my oc to 4 GHz, but now I reset it and it's still the same.

task95stu.png

cpuzjaufp.png

I have disabled every power saving feature (in the bios), but this is still happening.
Does anyone have ideas?

TheDanger

Banned
Please try come other programs, like HWmonitor to double check.
If both confirm 255*c it could be the sensors are damaged and its throttling due to incorrect readings.

now I rebooted and it goes from 50 to 60 degrees in idle. fans are set to 100% in bios (on default), it's not loud at all though.

Irobot82

now I rebooted and it goes from 50 to 60 degrees in idle. fans are set to 100% in bios (on default), it's not loud at all though.

That is a bit warm for idle. Can you check a temp with say running Prime95?

Just checking in pcpartpicker. CPU and GPU can run around 210W. So I assume 350 is fine.

TheDanger

Banned
Its still wrong, and coretemp should show 4 core temperatures, so I think it doesnt suppots your CPU. 60C idle for an AMD chip is very hot. It should max out at about 60C.

Try HWmonitor.

It shows the same temperature for all 4 cores, but I will try hwmonitor.

That is a bit warm for idle. Can you check a temp with say running Prime95?

Just checking in pcpartpicker. CPU and GPU can run around 210W. So I assume 350 is fine.

speed dropped down to 1,33 GHz as soon as I started the prime95 test, temperature shows 255 again lol.

LilJoka

Put some pressure on the heatsink with your hand, do the temps drop?
Could be not secured properly.

Else its sounds like a failed CPU sensor.
Revert BIOS to defaults too and retest.

TheDanger

Banned
Put some pressure on the heatsink with your hand, do the temps drop?
Could be not secured properly.

Else its sounds like a failed CPU sensor.
Revert BIOS to defaults too and retest.

while leaving it running? I ran these tests with default bios settings.

Kiru

Use symbolic links ? I use those to store all app and backup stuff on my NAS.

Roundillo

Neo Member
First post on Gaf after lurking since 05. Just wanted to thank every one who posted in the PC build 13 thread and this one. You all made it painless to transition from 30 years of console gaming the the PC. Thanks again!!!!

LilJoka

while leaving it running? I ran these tests with default bios settings.
Yes while running of course don't stick your finger in the fan but just apply some pressure.

But sounds like broken CPU sensor to me, 255 is the maximum 8bit number which sounds like what a broken sensor would read, either 0 or 255 after failure.
Even if the cooler was detached it would never reach 255c. It would shut down or fry first.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I don't know where else to post this and am hoping someone that ran into a similar problem can offer some advice.

I got Assassin's Creed 4 with my GTX770 and it won't run. I tried reinstalling it twice (that's roughly 50GB mind you, and my monthly limit is 300GB), tried verifying the game files, and it still won't run. It crashes as soon as I start the game and gives me a "ACBF4SP.exe has stopped working" error every time. I ran dozens of games on Steam and every single one worked perfectly. What a coincidence that the one uplay game I have won't work.

I'm certain this would never have happened if it was a Steam code. Ubisoft go fuck off into space with your shitty client and don't come back because I won't miss you.

Foxyone

Is it possible for dust or other debris to affect a PC's RAM / memory? I had blue screens (memory management errors) after opening my laptop, then a "dead display", but it was better after taking the RAM out and just putting it back in.

NoRéN

I don't know where else to post this and am hoping someone that ran into a similar problem can offer some advice.

I got Assassin's Creed 4 with my GTX770 and it won't run. I tried reinstalling it twice (that's roughly 50GB mind you, and my monthly limit is 300GB), tried verifying the game files, and it still won't run. It crashes as soon as I start the game and gives me a "ACBF4SP.exe has stopped working" error every time. I ran dozens of games on Steam and every single one worked perfectly. What a coincidence that the one uplay game I have won't work.

I'm certain this would never have happened if it was a Steam code. Ubisoft go fuck off into space with your shitty client and don't come back because I won't miss you.

have you tried running it in offline mode? I'm currently playing the game on a similar card and have had no issues. However, Splinter Cell Blacklist wouldn't run for me and I had to cancel updates everytime I ran it for the game to actually work.

LiquidMetal14

Gonna lower my asking price to about 635 shipped minus the games. If you want AC4 or SC Blacklist then we will go 650 shipped. I'm not spamming this thread anymore with this after this post.

Hey, I haven't upgraded my PC since I built it in 2011. I just got $300 for my birthday and I feel like spending it on upgrades. I can chuck out atleast $100-200 more.

My current setup below.

1. 30037 Antec Earthwatts 650W Power Supply ATX12V V2.2 EPS12V Active PFC 80PLUS 120MM Fan
2. 37232 Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA2 3.5IN 8.5MS 7200RPM 32MB Hard Drive OEM *3YR MFR Warranty*
3. 39427 Samsung SH-S222A/BEBE 22X Dual Layer DVD Writer Black IDE OEM
4. 47260 Antec Six Hundred Mid Tower Gaming Case 600 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT 1 SATA Hot-Swap Bay No PS
5. 49042 Gigabyte Radeon Ud HD 5770 850MHZ 1Gb 4.8GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI Display Port DX11 PCI-E Video Card
6. 52048 Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H AMD880G mATX AM3 DDR3 1PCIE CrossFireX Video Sound GBLAN Motherboard
7. 53854 AMD Athlon II X4 640 Quad Core Processor AM3 3.0GHZ 2MB L2 Cache 95W 45NM Retail Box 1
8. 54791 Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 4GB 1X4GB DDR3-1333 CL9 Memory

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is water cooling a good idea if I don't care about OCing, I just want a silent case?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Closed loop like an H100i is nice and more aesthetically pleasing. Even and H60 is fine. Single or double fan do the job well if you don't care about OC'ing.
I see now that closed loops don't run silently, I'm looking for silence above all else so what's my best bet for cooling?

Question - is dust built up inside your case and on the parts themselves a detriment to performance? I haven't opened up my case since the beginning of 2012 until today and its pretty nasty up in there. I'm afraid to clean it because its everywhere and I don't want to mess up any internals. I have an alienware, i7 2600, gtx 590. she's slowing down now, but I thought it was just due to age.

LiquidMetal14

I see now that closed loops don't run silently, I'm looking for silence above all else so what's my best bet for cooling?

Unless you go with a non aggressive OC or fan profile then a good closed loop or air based CPU cooler like a Hyper 212 Evo do amazingly well. I just built a rig for Speevy and was shocked at how quiet it was even with 3 case fans and the Hyper 212. It will be quieter than you think and damn near silent. Coming from my 11 fan case setup almost anything is quiet though :)

mr2xxx

Banned

Just get a quiet fan/ heat sink combo. I got a some noctua fan heatsink combo and the noise is unnoticeable. Dedicated GPU is where most of your noise will come, just look at reviews for noise on the specific model.

mattiewheels

Thanks guys...which Noctua runs quietest btw?

Serandur

Hello, I am close to building a new mid-high end machine and while I've already mostly decided what I want, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do with Haswell as I noticed a recurring issue that seemed to pop up on overclocking guides and forums without a truly definitive solution that had me concerned about actually building a machine with one. The maximum voltage set by the user in a mobo's BIOS seems to be completely overridden by the chips' integrated voltage regulator in adaptive mode once they use AVX instructions (subjecting the chip to both uncomfortable voltage and heat levels) and I find that unacceptable. As I understand it, the only solution is to, instead, override adaptive voltage manually, but this forces a constant, single voltage value which is not good for long-term power-savings and longevity of the CPU as the higher voltage would then apply even when the CPU is idle. Am I missing something or how does everyone manage to stomach this?

I'm honestly contemplating just saving myself the headache and investing in a z77 mobo (I am aware of the advantages of z87 platform, but first and foremost, I must be satisfied with the microprocessor itself) and Ivy Bridge chip instead. How are you fellow overclockers managing this issue? I built a machine with a 3570K for some family members recently and found that the chip responded well to overclocking with very little trouble. In contrast to what I've read about Haswell's poor OC reliability/consistency, voltage issues (mostly this), and introduction of plenty more BIOS variables, I'm having some difficulty feeling secure in a mainstream Haswell purchase. It really bothers me.

Question - is dust built up inside your case and on the parts themselves a detriment to performance? I haven't opened up my case since the beginning of 2012 until today and its pretty nasty up in there. I'm afraid to clean it because its everywhere and I don't want to mess up any internals. I have an alienware, i7 2600, gtx 590. she's slowing down now, but I thought it was just due to age.
Yes. Dust coats parts and traps heat. Heat increases electrical resistance. Electrical resistance produces more heat. In short, it can make your components run like shit and/or damage them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom