• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
gains from CPU upgrades are mostly academic unless you have a 120Hz monitor or play primarily RTS or BF4... or Planetside or Arma

other than a few outliers 60fps has a pretty low barrier of entry is what I'm trying to say

Though better is better, academic or not.
I don't think enjoying consistent performance without chunks of input lag and increased frame time is something that only some people enjoy.

It's like if the only burger you've eaten is a Big Mac, it is pretty good, and you wouldn't know what you're missing. But you don't need to be a foodie to appreciate a home made gourmet burger, and it is objectively better.

Deadbeat

Banned
So I need a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (or better). What are my options in terms of price? All I see at a gander is 100 dollars.

So people have spoken in the past about how the 4GB versions of the 770 don't offer an appreciable benefit. How accurate is this? Is this a hard limitation of these cards because of their bandwidth?

I want to wait till the end of year to get 800 series, but the urge to upgrade is very strong.

:negativeman:

mkenyon

Banned
So people have spoken in the past about how the 4GB versions of the 770 don't offer an appreciable benefit. How accurate is this? Is this a hard limitation of these cards because of their bandwidth?

I want to wait till the end of year to get 800 series, but the urge to upgrade is very strong.

I'll get you some benches in a bit, but yeah, outside of modded games with huge texture packs, there's no improvement.

If you're looking at that price range. I'd highly suggest snagging a used 780 for $400.

I'll get you some benches in a bit, but yeah, outside of modded games with huge texture packs, there's no improvement.

If you're looking at that price range. I'd highly suggest snagging a used 780 for $400.

I'd rather pay the extra and get it new. But price is no object. I could afford SLI Titans if I really felt the urge for them. I don't want to spend tons if I don't have to, but I can.

I was planning to get a top range 880 or something when the new range comes out, so it would be a waste to get something really beefy now. I mean I could resell it, but my 560 is fine for things I play in the intervening period. But October is when the next game I'll be getting Day 1 is (Arkham Knight) and it's not a cross-gen game. It's also relatively open world with a huge map. I'm not going to be happy if I have to wait a month after the game comes out for the next lot of vid cards. At the same time I don't want to buy a 700 range card when I've already waited so long. I deliberately didn't buy halfway through last year because I thought that we'd be getting stuff Q2 this year!

Anyway, point of the story is an open world current-gen-only game might need a lot of VRAM. But I want to know whether a 4GB 770 would help, just in case I have to spring for something like that in order to really get a lot out of the game come October. If the 2GB is going to be just as good because of bandwidth limitations, then I may as well get a 780 instead and just resell it a month later after minor use to replace it with an 880.

Durante

Haswell refresh with the heatspreader issue fixed.
But that won't give you 6 cores or 4 memory channels :p

(I'll never upgrade to a system with a dual channel memory controller or just 4 cores. I have triple channel and 4 cores now, I need to see some progress)

Tablo

But that won't give you 6 cores or 4 memory channels :p

(I'll never upgrade to a system with a dual channel memory controller or just 4 cores. I have triple channel and 4 cores now, I need to see some progress)
I feel you, but I know a Z97 devil canyon build will crush my 980X for everything basically lol
Should have even longer legs due to DX12 being more efficient etc
I don't know if giving up ITX is worth going Haswell E. Might get a i5 devil canyon then upgrade to broadwell k next year.

maneil99

If you are determined to buy a new card in October for Arkham Knight get an EVGA Nvidia 780 Ti or Vanilla in August and use their 90 Day step up. If a 880 GTX is released in 90 daysafter you buy your card you pay the difference ( if there is one ) and get the new card and return the old one.

Lexxism

I just realized that the Gigabyte GTX 780 OC Rev2.0 comes with a 8 and 6-pin adapter with molex(not sure if this is the correct term) instead of something like this.

images

Where can I buy this pin?

If you are determined to buy a new card in October for Arkham Knight get an EVGA Nvidia 780 Ti or Vanilla in August and use their 90 Day step up. If a 880 GTX is released in 90 daysafter you buy your card you pay the difference ( if there is one ) and get the new card and return the old one.

Is that valid in Australia?

LilJoka

I feel you, but I know a Z97 devil canyon build will crush my 980X for everything basically lol
Should have even longer legs due to DX12 being more efficient etc
I don't know if giving up ITX is worth going Haswell E. Might get a i5 devil canyon then upgrade to broadwell k next year.

Devils canyon is still Haswell architecture, so i dont see it being faster especially if you have a 980x @4Ghz+. Personally, i wouldnt give up a 980x for it. DX12 will be supported on your X58 platform as long as your GPU is compatible, which i think MS have said pretty much most new cards will be.

I also dont thing Intel's new TIM on the new chips will be as good as delidding and using the top TIM you can buy off the shelf, so you may still end up being better off with a 4770k rather than the refresh. Unless of course the chips have progressed on a transistor level giving more OC headroom, but thats impossible to say till we get them.

I like ITX builds, but i didnt want to give up my Ivy-E, so i went mATX with Asus Rampage Gene IV.

maneil99

Haswell refresh with the heatspreader issue fixed.

They said the same about haswell. The first leaks had super high overclocks at low voltages and claimed the TIM was like sandy bridge. For all we know the TIM is refering to the paste the stock cooler includes lol!

Lizardus

Will 2GB VRAM be enough for all new games coming out (Arkham Origins, Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs)? I ordered GTX 760 and plan on playing in 1920x1080.

maneil99

Will 2GB VRAM be enough for all new games coming out (Arkham Origins, Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs)? I ordered GTX 760 and plan on playing in 1920x1080.

Not if you plan to max them all, gmaes like Battlefield 4 and Crysis use more then 2 GB @ 1080p. Arkham should be fine since its UE3. No idea about future titles but watch dogs does have high minimum requirements.

maneil99

Damn, so 4GB is the way to go?

It's almost a trade off. The games that are going to use more then 2gb of vram are also going to push your card to the point that even if it had enough vram the framerate is going to be too low you will need to turn things down. If the 4gb is only a bit more expensive it might be worth it so that if you sli you will be better off since then you will be able to handle the rest of the effects.

TheD

The Detective
I ordered a Crucial M500 480GB from amazon a few days ago and during the wait to get it I have been looking up some reviews and I am starting to doubt if I made the right choice.

I have seen some reviews indicating that in real world workloads the drive can kind of jam up and take orders of magnitude longer to complete some tasks than other drives (worse than even some HDDs!).

I am wondering if I should take the $40 hit (return shipping + the extra $20 the EVO costs) to return it to amazon and get a 840 EVO.

Tablo

I ordered a Crucial M500 480GB from amazon a few days ago and during the wait to get it I have been looking up some reviews and I am starting to doubt if I made the right choice.

I have seen some reviews indicating that in real world workloads the drive can kind of jam up and take orders of magnitude longer to complete some tasks than other drives (worse than even some HDDs!).

I am wondering if I should take the $40 hit (return shipping + the extra $20 the EVO costs) to return it to amazon and get a 840 EVO.

That's weird, the good thing is you have the 480GB version, which doesn't suffer a lack of parallelism as the lower capacity models, you shouldn't have any noticeable performance issues...
I would keep it.

Tablo

The problem is that it was a test of all the sizes and with the latest firmware.

Huh, well frankly I don't know what to tell you :I
It's a popular drive so I feel like if this were a serious issue it would be more widespread, if the workloads they were testing seem similar to what you would use it for maybe there's a case for swapping it?

If someone knows about this do chime in.

MooMoo

I have another question about overclocking. If I get a BSOD, as far as making things more stable, is increasing voltage the only way to make it more stable? Or would downclocking also achieve more stability?

scogoth

I have another question about overclocking. If I get a BSOD, as far as making things more stable, is increasing voltage the only way to make it more stable? Or would downclocking also achieve more stability?

Voltage will make it more stable to a point. If you overclock too high then no added voltage will make it stable in which case you have to clock down a little. Its a dog, cat and mouse game between heat, voltage and clock speed.

maneil99

Downclocking means you don't need as much voltage, therefor both methods help.

Panzon

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing ($31.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($0.00 Purchased)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($0.00 Purchased)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked 3GB ($0.00 Purchased)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($0.17 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($264.99 @ B&H)

Total: $857.12

I have a $121.81 gift card balance from Amazon for the case but if there's a better choice I'll listen :p
Also need a mouse and keyboard. Don't know what to choose between cherry black or brown

Anyway, this is what I have so far. How is looking? How will it perform? I was gonna go all apeshit with the new CPUs and 800 series later in the year but I just can't wait anymore. Being that I'm only gaming at 1080p and probably won't upgrade til 1440p 120Hz becomes the standard I'm assuming this will give me at least 3 good years of great performance.

Any feedback is gladly appreciated. This thread is the best!

scogoth

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing ($31.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($0.00 Purchased)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($0.00 Purchased)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked 3GB ($0.00 Purchased)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($0.17 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($264.99 @ B&H)

Total: $857.12

I have a $121.81 gift card balance from Amazon for the case but if there's a better choice I'll listen :p
Also need a mouse and keyboard. Don't know what to choose between cherry black or brown

Anyway, this is what I have so far. How is looking? How will it perform? I was gonna go all apeshit with the new CPUs and 800 series later in the year but I just can't wait anymore. Being that I'm only gaming at 1080p and probably won't upgrade til 1440p 120Hz becomes the standard I'm assuming this will give me at least 3 good years of great performance.

Any feedback is gladly appreciated. This thread is the best!

Looks amazing. You are going to have a great time building and even better time playing games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I just overclocked my 4770K to 4.2GHZ and it's so fast that I don't see the need to invest in liquid coolers and whatnot to go higher. I mean this thing is fast.

Any good modern CPU is going to blow your socks off even at stock clocks but when you take them to 4ghz and above you really start seeing lots of speed increases.

It's hard to go back to a normal and slower PC after playing on the last 3 rigs I've built on top of making certain builds. Even going from SSD back to HDD is jarring. I'm too used to the speed of great CPU's and fast SSD's alone. Not even getting into how spoiled I am on the graphics side.

tehbible

Uber Budget ~$460 Gaming Rig that is comparable to PS4 Price Point. PS4 ($399) + 1 year of PSN = $460.

I'm trying to let a friend of mine know that building a PC doesn't have to be an expensive undertaking. I'd like the build to be as close to the PS4 pricepoint as possible. Can this be whittled down further? I'd like the build to include a Windows 7 copy.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($65.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2PH Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($48.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital RE3 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($36.26 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Topower TP-1687BB-300 (Black/White) MicroATX Desktop Case w/300W Power Supply ($34.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($14.18 @ B&H)
Total: $463.35

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Uber Budget ~$460 Gaming Rig that is comparable to PS4 Price Point. PS4 ($399) + 1 year of PSN = $460.

I'm trying to let a friend of mine know that building a PC doesn't have to be an expensive undertaking. I'd like the build to be as close to the PS4 pricepoint as possible. Can this be whittled down further? I'd like the build to include a Windows 7 copy.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2PH Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($48.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital RE3 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($36.26 @ Amazon)
Case: Topower TP-1687BB-300 (Black/White) MicroATX Desktop Case w/300W Power Supply ($34.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)

You can reduce the Windows 7 price down to ~$20 or so by buying a key from a trusted seller on r/softwareswap. Only adds the extra step of burning the DVD and saves a lot of money.

Ashes

Banned

Forget dick size measuring with the Ps4. That pc won't cut it against the Ps4.
Decent budget build though but just make it a round $500. :p
*get a better psu*
*get windows 7 cheaper from r/
*Get a bigger harddrive.
*try and get a i3.

Tabasco

Is this the place to be for PC hardware issues?

I play a lot of L4D2 on Steam, and on a pretty rare occurrence, it would just crash to the desktop with no error messages or anything. I've also had this happen to me before while I was playing Metro Last Light as well.

If I posted my specs, would that help?

Ashes

Banned
Is this the place to be for PC hardware issues?

I play a lot of L4D2 on Steam, and on a pretty rare occurrence, it would just crash to the desktop with no error messages or anything. I've also had this happen to me before while I was playing Metro Last Light as well.

If I posted my specs, would that help?

How do you figure that to be a hardware issue?

tehbible

You can reduce the Windows 7 price down to ~$20 or so by buying a key from a trusted seller on r/softwareswap. Only adds the extra step of burning the DVD and saves a lot of money.

Wow thanks dude.

Updated build looks like this. I was able to upgrade to R9 270.

Storage: PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($64.99 @ TigerDirect)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card ($178.60 @ Newegg)
Other: Windows 7 Home Premium ($20.00)
Other: pci-ex cable adapter ($3.95)
Total: $459.65

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Wow thanks dude.

Updated build looks like this. I was able to upgrade to R9 270.

Storage: PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($64.99 @ TigerDirect)
Other: pci-ex cable adapter ($3.95)
Total: $459.65

It's looking better, but I'm gonna agree with Ashes on going for an i3 at the least, bumping the PSU and pushing that hard drive some. If he's planning on really gaming on that a Pentium class dual core just won't carry the load all that well.

Tabasco

How do you figure that to be a hardware issue?
I've had hardware problems in the past and I honestly don't know how it could possibly be a software problem. Verifying the game cache doesn't do squat, but it did help when the game somehow broke and whenever I tried to load the game past the loading screen it would just crash in the same fashion.

I'm just curious as to why I experience this issue at all. It's not really bothersome since it only happens rarely.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I've had hardware problems in the past and I honestly don't know how it could possibly be a software problem. Verifying the game cache doesn't do squat, but it did help when the game somehow broke and whenever I tried to load the game past the loading screen it would just crash in the same fashion.

I'm just curious as to why I experience this issue at all. It's not really bothersome since it only happens rarely.

If it helps any, I had my Left 4 Dead 2 straight up crash to desktop a day or so ago for no reason. It could have been some workshop mod bug somewhere, but it ain't no thang. If it were hardware related you'd be seeing artifacting, bluescreening and system restarts moreso than crashes I would think.

No need to even burn to a disc actually. You can install from USB, which is also much faster.

Good point, and highly recommended.

Tabasco

If it helps any, I had my Left 4 Dead 2 straight up crash to desktop a day or so ago for no reason. It could have been some workshop mod bug somewhere, but it ain't no thang. If it were hardware related you'd be seeing artifacting, bluescreening and system restarts moreso than crashes I would think.
You make a very good point.

I'm just going to assume this is the case since I see no other explanation. I love my mods too much to disable them for a crash that doesn't happen often.

Tabasco

Also, I do occasionally bluescreen even when I'm not playing a game, which also happens very rarely. I would say this happens maybe 10% of the time.

Should I be worried, or just ignore the occasional bluescreen when I get one?

Pachimari

I'm gonna pick up my new Evga GeForce GTX 780 GPU and install it and see how it goes. I hope it can help the framerate in games, because when I run titles like PayDay 2 and FF XIV: A Realm Reborn I get framerates between 10-18. But I'm running the graphics through the motherboard.

Could there be something wrong with my motherboard as well, if there's weird artefacts in the Plex interface and strange polygons popping up in No One Lives Forever?

I'm also gonna take pictures of the finished result.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Also, I do occasionally bluescreen even when I'm not playing a game, which also happens very rarely. I would say this happens maybe 10% of the time.

Should I be worried, or just ignore the occasional bluescreen when I get one?

Check out the logs with BlueScreenView and see what sort of reports it gives you. It will usually give you the error codes and what software-side things were most "responsible" for causing the blue screen. It even has a shortcut somewhere to open your default browser with a google search of the code and some of the related stuff to see what others had to do who got the same bluescreen errors.

It's not an exact science unfortunately. Hopefully it will steer you in the right direction to fixing it!

tehbible

Forget dick size measuring with the Ps4. That pc won't cut it against the Ps4.
Decent budget build though but just make it a round $500. :p
*get a better psu*
*get windows 7 cheaper from r/
*Get a bigger harddrive.
*try and get a i3.

It's looking better, but I'm gonna agree with Ashes on going for an i3 at the least, bumping the PSU and pushing that hard drive some. If he's planning on really gaming on that a Pentium class dual core just won't carry the load all that well.

Ok so based off your recs I've come to this.

edited again: went back to r9 270 but kept the i3-4130.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.93 @ OutletPC)
Other: pci-ex adapter cable ($3.95)
Total: $469.69

hepburn3d

I've just built mine based on some reading through this.

I guess what I'd like to know is what my limitations in the future will be, based on what I want to achieve.

I have:
i7
GTx 770
16gb ddr3 ram
SSD
windows 8 :( want SteamOS but waiting on more game support

I plan on playing all new games at 1080p @ 60hz and I want to play VR games on a Rift when it's supported. Anyone able to, at a glance, tell me if if that seems practicle or if I'll have to upgrade at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom