• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to even burn to a disc actually. You can install from USB, which is also much faster.

Would really wish a tutorial on how to do this would be added to the OP. Could save alot of people around $100 since there would be no need to buy an optical drive or pay full retail for the windows 7/8 disc and key.

Ashes

Banned
Ok so based off your recs I've come to this.

edited again: went back to r9 270 but kept the i3-4130.

Yes. I'd really consider getting a bigger hard drive at some point though. Especially if these next gen install sizes are anything to go by.

I've just built mine based on some reading through this.

I guess what I'd like to know is what my limitations in the future will based on what I want to achieve.

I have:
i7
GTx 770
16gb ddr3 ram
SSD
windows 8 :( want SteamOS but waiting on more game support

I plan on playing all new games at 1080p @ 60hz and I want to play VR games on a Rift when it's supported. Anyone able to, at a glance, tell me if if that seem practivle or if I'll have to upgrade at some point

Last year, I'd have said yes, by all means yes. but honestly, these next gen bumps, that ought not to have affected higher tier mid-range pcs, seemingly do. So I'm really not sure. I'll say yes, you'll be fine at high settings, but I'll leave the rest for someone else.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm gonna pick up my new Evga GeForce GTX 780 GPU and install it and see how it goes. I hope it can help the framerate in games, because when I run titles like PayDay 2 and FF XIV: A Realm Reborn I get framerates between 10-18. But I'm running the graphics through the motherboard.
Yea, you should probably see some sort of improvement going from integrated graphics to a GTX780. Good luck.

Asiriya

Neo Member
I've just built mine based on some reading through this.

I guess what I'd like to know is what my limitations in the future will be, based on what I want to achieve.

I have:
i7
GTx 770
16gb ddr3 ram
SSD
windows 8 :( want SteamOS but waiting on more game support

I plan on playing all new games at 1080p @ 60hz and I want to play VR games on a Rift when it's supported. Anyone able to, at a glance, tell me if if that seems practicle or if I'll have to upgrade at some point

We don't know what the consumer rift specs will be. People are saying it will be higher res than the new dev kit, so it might push your 770 if you're wanting to max it. If you're happy to drop the settings then it will be fine. I think you're asking this too early though, wait until we know what will be in the consumer rift, by the time it releases Maxwell will probably be out.

hepburn3d

We don't know what the consumer rift specs will be. People are saying it will be higher res than the new dev kit, so it might push your 770 if you're wanting to max it. If you're happy to drop the settings then it will be fine. I think you're asking this too early though, wait until we know what will be in the consumer rift, by the time it releases Maxwell will probably be out.

True. Thanks for the responses. I think I'm happy for the a few years at least. I love hate PC. Build a new high end PC, next day already out of date.

Grrr

Still love it though.

FourMyle

So I'm looking at the VG248QE and I'm kind of confused with all this Hz business. One of the reasons I am interested in that monitor is because of the super low input lag, but I'm wondering if you need to be running the thing at 144hz to take advantage of that or not. Does anyone here have one? Is the input lag still the same if I just play games at 60hz?

tehbible

Yes. I'd really consider getting a bigger hard drive at some point though. Especially if these next gen install sizes are anything to go by.

Yeah eff it, I'm going sub $500 build. This is my final setup and I'm sticking with this with all peripherals included sans a monitor.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.93 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2PH Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($48.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card ($178.60 @ Newegg)
Case: Topower TP-1687BB-300 (Black/White) MicroATX Desktop Case w/300W Power Supply ($34.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($14.18 @ B&H)
Other: Windows 7 Home Premium ($20.00)
Other: pci-ex adapter cable ($3.95)
Total: $495.61

Ashes

Banned
I'd go down a peg on the gpu before I eliminate a good psu. And the psu you had before wasn't the best, but it sure as hell was much much better than what comes with that box.

jonno394

What with all this DX12 talk, I was wondering, will current cards be able to make use of the tech or will it only be future cards?

(i have a gigabyte 280x)

Pachimari

While I wait on my video card, I have a question on behalf of my father.

He sent his computer in for repair, and now the card reader don't work. This is how it looks on the inside:

YrI85H6.jpg

I noticed the card reader is connected to "speaker" on the motherboard - is this correct?

TheD

The Detective
While I wait on my video card, I have a question on behalf of my father.

He sent his computer in for repair, and now the card reader don't work. This is how it looks on the inside:

I noticed the card reader is connected to "speaker" on the motherboard - is this correct?

Is that the only cable coming out of the reader?

KJ869

Worst part about this thread? Seeing USA prices. Just tried to make basic R 290X based build with decent case and cooling and ended up with 1700 euros.. thats about 2300 dollars

Water

So I'm looking at the VG248QE and I'm kind of confused with all this Hz business. One of the reasons I am interested in that monitor is because of the super low input lag, but I'm wondering if you need to be running the thing at 144hz to take advantage of that or not. Does anyone here have one? Is the input lag still the same if I just play games at 60hz?
No, if you have the 144Hz monitor in 60Hz mode the input lag is the same as on a good 60Hz monitor.
G-Sync will keep input lag in check at any Hz, so if you don't need a display right this instant, just wait two months or so.
If you have further questions, it's probably best to post them in the 120/144Hz display thread.

FourMyle

No, if you have the 144Hz monitor in 60Hz mode the input lag is the same as on a good 60Hz monitor.
G-Sync will keep input lag in check at any Hz, so if you don't need a display right this instant, just wait two months or so.
If you have further questions, it's probably best to post them in the 120/144Hz display thread.

Thanks

Arkanius

AMD users
Sometimes I have very quick flickering of the screen when on the desktop and using the Browser or doing something that might ramp up the GPU.

I have a Gigabyte R9 280X with the 13.12 drivers. It seems to be a problem that was still widespread with the 7000 cards.
Does the 14.1 or 14.3 drivers fix this issue?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Worst part about this thread? Seeing USA prices. Just tried to make basic R 290X based build with decent case and cooling and ended up with 1700 euros.. thats about 2300 dollars

The USA enjoys lower margins due to their consumer base being a lot more active than the UK and EU.

That and taxes (or lack thereof.)

Akai__

Use price-comparing sites to find the best deals, if you haven't already. I saved a coupple of hundreds €, that way. It's really depending on your location, though.

BrumGB

Bit of a hardware newbie, I've recently built myself a "gaming" PC and I'm finally getting round to purchasing a proper GPU.

I'm looking to buy this card from amazon later today. I am however worrying that my PSU (600w) wouldn't be capable of handling such a beast. Unfortunately my display doesn't support HDMI or DVI so would it simply be the case of getting a DVI-I to VGA adapter in order to get it displaying on my screen protected.

Additional info: 4670k, 7200rpm seagate hdd

Cheers!

I'm looking into getting into PC gaming with the The Division coming out in the future and I want to do a lot of emulation, PS2, Dreamcast, N64, GameCube, and the Original Xbox.

I can go from $1,500-$2,000. I have no idea where to start. Specs for the Division isn't a must because I can just play it on my ps4 but I really want to do the PS2 emulation. Can anybody help me out on which graphics card to get and stuff like that? I want to have something that's future proof, I don't want to upgrade with in the next two years.

I'm looking into getting into PC gaming with the The Division coming out in the future and I want to do a lot of emulation, PS2, Dreamcast, N64, GameCube, and the Original Xbox.

I can go from $1,500-$2,000. I have no idea where to start. Specs for the Division isn't a must because I can just play it on my ps4 but I really want to do the PS2 emulation. Can anybody help me out on which graphics card to get and stuff like that? I want to have something that's future proof, I don't want to upgrade with in the next two years.

Read the first post will be a good place to start.

You can do a lot with 2 grand.

Ashes

Banned

Dream machines build incoming.

DarkFlow

Banned

You can build damn near anything you want with 2k.

CPU is pretty important for emulation, but with that budget you would not have a problem at all. Also you will run The Division better on PC.

KlotePino

Hey guys, I've usually done all the legwork myself really diving into it and reading everything but I figured I'd use GAF's collective intelligence for this one since this is the first time I'm considering upgrading over starting from scratch with an entirely new PC.

Currently have this:

i7-920
HD5870
ASUS ROG Rampage II GENE motherboard
8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz, which I just found out is only recognized as 4 by my PC.

I'm not sure what the developments have been on the CPU department and I'm not sure if my RAM is really a bottleneck so that's why I'm checking here. People buying 16 gigs of RAM always seemed excessive to me but maybe it's considered more important now?

I'll start doing my research on GPU's too but is the general consensus to wait for the next generation that's coming end 2014? I've ordered the Oculus DK2 and I can wait if the leap is worth the wait. I'm also not sure how important it is to replace the motherboard? This one has treated me fine but I just figured I'd ask. Basically, if anyone could give me a breakdown of what I should replace or if I should just start from scratch that'd be fantastic.

Soodanim

Bit of a hardware newbie, I've recently built myself a "gaming" PC and I'm finally getting round to purchasing a proper GPU.

I'm looking to buy this card from amazon later today. I am however worrying that my PSU (600w) wouldn't be capable of handling such a beast. Unfortunately my display doesn't support HDMI or DVI so would it simply be the case of getting a DVI-I to VGA adapter in order to get it displaying on my screen protected.

Additional info: 4670k, 7200rpm seagate hdd

Cheers!
Recreate the build on uk.pcpartpicker.com if you ever need to check compatibility. Actually, I have a saved build that has a 4670k and the Gigabyte 770. It estimates 428W, so you have nothing to worry about: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/39Hmv

For those that can jump in, are the CX ones the newer Corsair ones that aren't as good as others, or are they the older and better ones?

Hey guys, I've usually done all the legwork myself really diving into it and reading everything but I figured I'd use GAF's collective intelligence for this one since this is the first time I'm considering upgrading over starting from scratch with an entirely new PC.

Currently have this:

i7-920
HD5870
4GB pretty sure it's DDR3 1333/1600MHZ can't look it up right now

I'm not sure what the developments have been on the CPU department and I'm not sure if my RAM is really a bottleneck so that's why I'm checking here. People buying 16 gigs of RAM always seemed excessive to me but maybe it's considered more important now?

I'll start doing my research on GPU's too but is the general consensus to wait for the next generation that's coming end 2014? I've ordered the Oculus DK2 and I can wait if the leap is worth the wait. I'm also not sure how important it is to replace the motherboard? This one has treated me fine but I just figured I'd ask. Basically, if anyone could give me a breakdown of what I should replace or if I should just start from scratch that'd be fantastic.

16GB is overkill, coming from someone who has 16GB of RAM lol. It comes in handy if you do some video editing and VM's on the side like I tend to do though. 4GB in my opinion is a little on the low side these days, especially when you open tabs in Chrome or Firefox. It could be worth it to upgrade to at least 8GB of RAM, if 16GB is too out of your price range.

If I were in the market for a new rig, I'd definitely wait for these revamped Haswell cpus that were just announced with the better thermals and new chipset. The ram should still be DDR3 as long as you aren't getting the new Haswell-E platform, so you could upgrade your current ram to 8 or 16GB and then reuse that on the new cpu/mobo that comes out later this year.

LilJoka

Currently have this:

i7-920
HD5870
8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz, which I just found out is only recognized as 4 by my PC.

I would get a nice socket 1366 cooler, maybe even a H80i, and a new GPU. Also with the new cooler, you should easily hit 4Ghz with a i7 920 D0 stepping.
As for the RAM, try changing the slot. Also you should get 3 DIMMs for an X58 platform as it supports Triple Channel Memory, a nice 3x4GB 1600Mhz will do.

Remember, that any Ram over 1066Mhz with your CPU will need some VTT (IMC) voltage tweaking to get running at your desired speed, though 1600 should be achievable.

I would get a nice socket 1366 cooler, maybe even a H80i, and a new GPU. Also with the new cooler, you should easily hit 4Ghz with a i7 920 D0 stepping.
As for the RAM, try changing the slot. Also you should get 3 DIMMs for an X58 platform as it supports Triple Channel Memory, a nice 3x4GB 1600Mhz will do.

Remember, that any Ram over 1066Mhz with your CPU will need some VTT (IMC) voltage tweaking to get running at your desired speed, though 1600 should be achievable.

I thought about recommending a new GPU, but I felt that if he waits for the newer chips released later this year, might as well wait for Maxwell later this year as well. I know Ryan Shrout of PCper likes to recommend people get new GPU's first to see what kind of a difference it makes, then if it's not enough you can always use that GPU in the new rig. It definitely wouldn't hurt to overclock the 920 either to help tide him over for the newer cpu.

LilJoka

I thought about recommending a new GPU, but I felt that if he waits for the newer chips released later this year, might as well wait for Maxwell later this year as well. It definitely wouldn't hurt to overclock the 920 either to help tide him over for the newer cpu.

I think at this point it is very wise to wait for Maxwell.

KlotePino

Thanks for the tip on the triple-channel DDR3, hadn't even thought about that. Also just figured out what D0 stepping is and it looks like I do have that rev so my CPU is still good to go? And I should pull the trigger on buying a new GPU now?

EDIT: Just read your newest post, looks like I'll be holding out for Maxwell.

PaulLFC

Considering I'm still using a GTX 460 and 4GB RAM (yes, shortly my phone will have as much RAM as my PC, if not more), I think it's definitely time for an upgrade. Going to hold off until the 800 series cards are out and then see whether I'll go with one of those or an AMD card depending on reviews.

I read an AnandTech article about new Intel processors for the second half of this year, and the Extreme edition processor mentioned DDR4 support. Would it be wise to hold off for this, or would the likely gains, and presumably high price as with any new technology (plus the high processor cost), mean it would be better to go with DDR3 and wait a couple of years until DDR4?

Considering I'm still using a GTX 460 and 4GB RAM (yes, shortly my phone will have as much RAM as my PC, if not more), I think it's definitely time for an upgrade. Going to hold off until the 800 series cards are out and then see whether I'll go with one of those or an AMD card depending on reviews.

I read an AnandTech article about new Intel processors for the second half of this year, and the Extreme edition processor mentioned DDR4 support. Would it be wise to hold off for this, or would the likely gains, and presumably high price as with any new technology (plus the high processor cost), mean it would be better to go with DDR3 and wait a couple of years until DDR4?

It will cost a whole lot of money. Unless you have too much money to spend I would not recommend it.

Asiriya

Neo Member
Hey, there's a deal going that will let me get a corsair M65 for £35, ~$58. Anyone with any experience with it think it's a good deal?

Else, are there any other suggestions for good mice? I wouldn't mind something with a DPI toggle for sniping, forward/back buttons and a third button where the thumb sits would be cool too (basically the M65 layout).

Cheers.

badblue

Yesterday, I got off work early and decided that with my first pay check (and tax refund), I'd build my system.

I went with:
i5 4670k
Asus z87 Pro (wanted the built in wifi)
8 gig Ripjawz Ram
128 gig SSD
1 TB HD
Antex 750 watt PSU (gold rated fully modular)
MSI Gaming 780 TI
Corsair H105 water cooler
and windows 7 pro.

Threw this all in a corsair air 540.
And 90% of the computer build experience was fantastic, except for a few things. Turns out the H105 was a return, and had no thermal paste on it any more, so I had to go back to the store to buy some Artic Silver 5. Get home, apply it, and try to get the water block on, and I can. The package was missing the correct stand off's and had the wrong thumb screws. So That's getting returned today...

So I put on the stock cooler for now, and get to setting up.

Windows install goes with out a hitch.... except the activation code on the package is wrong. windows keeps saying it's an invalid code. Called microsoft and they can't/wont help.
So I get to talk to the store about this too... and if they cant help i guess i get to pirate my legit copy of windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom