• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core $299.99
CPU Cooler Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid $54.99
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact Mini ITX LGA1150 $223.98
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 $156.99
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" SSD $199.00
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB $649.99
Case Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop $84.99
Power Supply Silverstone 450W SFX12V $94.99
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $84.99

What I've cooked up so far. If anyone has any suggestions on this please let me know. I don't know if I'll need the 780 ti GPU. Remember I'm mainly going to be doing emulation on this.
Where are you located?

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have anything negative to say about the Corsair RM Series 750? Picking up two for a friend.
Might be overpriced for the purpose, PSUs are one of those things where the "best deal" changes every day. 750W on the RM series is kind of a weird place too, as it's pushing the limits with two high end cards like the 780, and it's way too much for any single card solution.
So I have just installed the GTX 780 in my computer but how can I see it is activated and installed correctly?

Currently I'm running it through HDMI but it's recognised as "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" - why?

I'm also now installing the video drivers from the cd.
You answered all of your own questions, in a way.

The fact that you're getting a picture means it's installed correctly. It will stop being a generic device when the drivers are installed. :p

Azzurri

So what are the pros of a 290x over a GTX ti? Since the price are almost the same now I cann't really see any, besides that extra 1gb Vram and maybe more FPS's in select games.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core $299.99
CPU Cooler Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid $54.99
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact Mini ITX LGA1150 $223.98
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 $156.99
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" SSD $199.00
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB $649.99
Case Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop $84.99
Power Supply Silverstone 450W SFX12V $94.99
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $84.99

What I've cooked up so far. If anyone has any suggestions on this please let me know. I don't know if I'll need the 780 ti GPU. Remember I'm mainly going to be doing emulation on this.

i'd suggest windows 8 with startisback and boot to desktop. metro is nice on the tv and on the tablet if youre streaming your desktop, and i find it to be a more aesthetically pleasing OS with a much faster boot and shutdown time. it's apparently also more stable and has better performance. oh and it doesnt ask you if you want to send something to trash when youre sending stuff to the trash. oh, and multi-monitor support is a lot better (though i use display fusion software anyway).

Tablo

TalentBurke, make sure to get Windows 8.1, if you need to transition then just install startisback or an equivalent initially.

mkenyon

Banned
So what are the pros of a 290x over a GTX ti? Since the price are almost the same now I cann't really see any, besides that extra 1gb Vram and maybe more FPS's in select games.
240652.gif

They should be cheaper than the 780 Ti though. Quick search on newegg shows a number of cards in the $550-600 range.

LilJoka

So I have just installed the GTX 780 in my computer but how can I see it is activated and installed correctly?

Currently I'm running it through HDMI but it's recognised as "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" - why?

I'm also now installing the video drivers from the cd.

Always download latest drivers from the manufacturers website, the CD should only be used in emergency, such as the LAN driver, to get online and retrieve all the drivers.
So after youve installed the drivers, grab the latest ones from the nVidia site and install over your old ones.

Pachimari

Always download latest drivers from the manufacturers website, the CD should only be used in emergency, such as the LAN driver, to get online and retrieve all the drivers.
So after youve installed the drivers, grab the latest ones from the nVidia site and install over your old ones.

On Nvidia's website they say 335.23 is the latest but I already installed that through the GeForce Experience software. :)

diaspora

Also, a bigger bus. If you can get ASUS's for less than the 780Ti, go for it.

NoRéN;105298934 said:
OK. Didn't want to recommend stuff you might not have access to.

Brooklyn Microcenter has the i7 for $30 less.

Any reason you chose the Samsung Pro? Take the savings from the i7 and get a bigger ssd.

Here's one: Crucial m500 480gb for $230

If you want samsung: Samsung EVO 500gb for $250

No reason. I was just picking parts based on the build on the first page. I planned to adjust a few things, I'm not buying anything for about two more weeks. That's why I'm here for everyone's input and help. Thanks for helping me out. A bigger SSD will be useful

scogoth

Not just about performance though anymore. Shadowplay and G-Sync are really neat and genuinely useful.

Shadowplay is soooo useful.

Now some for adventures in water-cooling!

Part 1 - Teardown!

I've decided to change from a single pump to dual pump setup because I have very low flow in my loop (dropped from 0.6 gal/min to 0.4 gal/min over the last 6 months). It also needed a cleaning. I have sporadically posted several stages of this build over the last two years and started sleeving the cables last summer and still haven't finished. So this is the last hurrah of this build where I will finally finish it.

So let the disassembly begin!

First the new parts, a pump, reservoir and secret fluids. Exciting I know

Here's the build as-is. Couple of things need to be fixed mainly the Dom Plat RAM is too tall and interferes with the lines, I had low profile RAM before but dem lights.

Drain ports are for wimps, real men drain precariously off the GPUs.

I'm not a real man so I quickly found a use for textbooks.

Ugh what a mess, I have to dig through all that to get the old pump and resevoir out.

Best tool I have? A loonie!

Quick picture of the back cabling. Lots and lots of cables....

All cleared of the aqua computer so I can get at the reservoir

Uh-oh, this came out of the reservoir. A little flake of copper... learned my lesson, always flush your rads before using them!

Another angle of the RAM being too tall. Have to use a 45 angle off the CPU to go over that I think. Also a good look at all the dust I live in. I cleaned that out 3 days ago and theres no use, it just keeps coming back.

And here's the problem, inside the CPU inlet. I had a feeling that there was build up somewhere. I have no idea what that is but I really hope its not plasticizer buildup. I don't want to have to order stupidly priced tubing from the US, customs and shipping is more than the tubing itself. I also have no idea how I am going to get in there to clean it up. I have to remove the CPU from the socket to disassemble it but it's on there with liquid ultra (a metal based TIM). Ugh.... this is going to be a lot of work.

The outlet from the CPU looks fine. I can't really clean the motherboard blocks or the GPU blocks because I di-noc'd over the screws (dinoc is carbon fiber vinyl wrap). I'm just going to assume the CPU caught all the buildup.....

Now I have to decide how/if I'm going to clear out the buildup. I'll be back later with a rebuild post.

Let me preface my post by thanking all of the contributors to this thread. This was my main reference when going through my first PC build 2.5 years ago.

My current build includes an MSI GTX 570. One of the two twin frozr fans has died. I've ordered a replacement fan via ebay (China) and will attempt to perform surgery -- but I'm not all that optimistic about the outcome. Despite this set back, I can still play Titanfall with the card (underclocked) - performance is playable and temperatures float between 75-85 degrees.

My question is this - if I decide to upgrade to a modern card, say GTX 780... will the card be at all bottlenecked by any of the existing components of my build?

For reference, my current build is as follows:
i5.2500k
Biostar TP67XE (I'm particularly concerned by the lack of a PCIE 3.0 slot on this mobo)
750W Corsair PS
8gb Ram

Thanks for your help!

Pachimari

Ive never used geforce experience, this must have some kind of auto updater i guess. extra peice of software id rather not run, but thats just my OCD.

I'm also thinking of uninstalling it.

Do any of you guys know why I can't use my Sony HMZ-T1 HMD with my computer? In Montague's Mount it freaked out and blinked all the time, and now it says unsupported format. =/

I would love to play Crysis on very high on my HMD.

knitoe

Let me preface my post by thanking all of the contributors to this thread. This was my main reference when going through my first PC build 2.5 years ago.

My current build includes an MSI GTX 570. One of the two twin frozr fans has died. I've ordered a replacement fan via ebay (China) and will attempt to perform surgery -- but I'm not all that optimistic about the outcome. Despite this set back, I can still play Titanfall with the card (underclocked) - performance is playable and temperatures float between 75-85 degrees.

My question is this - if I decide to upgrade to a modern card, say GTX 780... will the card be at all bottlenecked by any of the existing components of my build?

For reference, my current build is as follows:
i5.2500k
Biostar TP67XE (I'm particularly concerned by the lack of a PCIE 3.0 slot on this mobo)
750W Corsair PS
8gb Ram

Thanks for your help!
Overclock your CPU to 4.4-5.0GHz. Then, a GTX 780 would be great. Don't worry about not having PCIE 3.0, difference is like 1-2 fps.

Bleepey

Ok. I will do my PC part picker later but I am thinking of buying a bundle or prebuilt PC with an 8350 for around £300. An i5 doesn't seem worth the additional expense. The bundle I am thinking of will have about 8gb of ram and I can get a 500 watt Psu for £10 and a gtx 660 for £130. U

£130 AMD 8350
£40 mobo
£50 ram 8gb
Case and 500w PSU £40
Hdd £40 500gb- 1tb
Gpu £130 2gb gtx 660

I wanna buy it around next week. Any recommendations for what I should get?

kharma45

Ok. I will do my PC part picker later but I am thinking of buying a bundle or prebuilt PC with an 8350 for around £300. An i5 doesn't seem worth the additional expense. The bundle I am thinking of will have about 8gb of ram and I can get a 500 watt Psu for £10 and a gtx 660 for £130. U

£130 AMD 8350
£40 mobo
£50 ram 8gb
Case and 500w PSU £40
Hdd £40 500gb- 1tb
Gpu £130 2gb gtx 660

Don't do it. AMD CPUs for games are inferior and that PSU will be dangerously bad at that price.

mkenyon

Banned
And here's the problem, inside the CPU inlet. I had a feeling that there was build up somewhere. I have no idea what that is but I really hope its not plasticizer buildup. I don't want to have to order stupidly priced tubing from the US, customs and shipping is more than the tubing itself. I also have no idea how I am going to get in there to clean it up. I have to remove the CPU from the socket to disassemble it but it's on there with liquid ultra (a metal based TIM). Ugh.... this is going to be a lot of work.
Yikes.

I'd say go for some EK ZMT, but it only comes in 3/8x5/8 :(

ghibli99

Thanks again for this (and other) PC build threads. One of the older OC'ing ones from 2012 really helped me, and my rig is still going strong... but it looks like it might be time to do a bigger update.

Can someone help me build a PC for $1500 CDN?

Aside from gaming, I'm planing to use it for photoshopping, video editting, 3D modeling and animation.

I've asked some people for advice and they told me to go for either 3930k, 3770k, or 4770k for the CPU and a minimum of 16GB of RAM (32 ideal) and a SSD for boot drive.

Any help will be appreciated.

Stubo

Do any of you guys know why I can't use my Sony HMZ-T1 HMD with my computer? In Montague's Mount it freaked out and blinked all the time, and now it says unsupported format. =/

I would love to play Crysis on very high on my HMD.
GeForce experience is a great piece of software, it's not using enough space/resources to deserve deleting. I'm eagerly awaiting your reaction to the insane upgrade of the 780 over your Intel HD graphics, I have a 780 myself and it really is all you need for 1080p gaming right now!
Welp. Algae. fml

At least it wasn't plasticizer!
And screw feser's additive.
D:

Ive never used geforce experience, this must have some kind of auto updater i guess. extra peice of software id rather not run, but thats just my OCD.

No one is more paranoid about bloatware than me, so I understand that kind of thinking. I'm the kind of person that usually un-checks most programs running in the system tray unless it's absolutely needed. I do not notice Geforce Experience hogging resources though and it makes things like downloading new drivers that much easier. It also has the new Shadowplay built in if your card supports it, so you wouldn't want to miss out on that. I also find the optimal game settings feature to be a useful starting point, not necessary the gospel or anything.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Can someone help me build a PC for $1500 CDN?

Aside from gaming, I'm planing to use it for photoshopping, video editting, 3D modeling and animation.

I've asked some people for advice and they told me to go for either 3930k, 3770k, or 4770k for the CPU and a minimum of 16GB of RAM (32 ideal) and a SSD for boot drive.

Any help will be appreciated.
Read OP
Fill out sheet

NoRéN

No reason. I was just picking parts based on the build on the first page. I planned to adjust a few things, I'm not buying anything for about two more weeks. That's why I'm here for everyone's input and help. Thanks for helping me out. A bigger SSD will be useful

That's what the thread is for. :)

BIGWORM

Well, after replacing the old OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, I finally have my system up and going. I grabbed a Samsung EVO 840 250GB from Best Buy (yeah, I know...) on sale for $150. I would've paid just under $10 less for the Intel 520 180GB...I'll take that deal.

My build as of right now:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 12g Thermal Paste ($14.96 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.79 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($174.60 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.19 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($479.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($105.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power 550W ATX Power Supply ($53.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($174.23 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2770Smh-LED 27.0" Monitor ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($118.99 @ Best Buy)
Wireless Network Adapter: Belkin F9L1103 802.11n USB 1.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($50.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow 2013 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($107.27 @ TigerDirect)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse ($74.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $2200.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-21 17:10 EDT-0400)

After purchasing the i5/Z87, I paid a little less than half that price after it's all said and done.

Miguel81

£130 AMD 8350
£40 mobo
£50 ram 8gb
Case and 500w PSU £40
Hdd £40 500gb- 1tb
Gpu £130 2gb gtx 660

If you're into emulation(specifically Dolphin and PCSX2), get yourself an i5. Trust me, I've got an 8320 and it's balls for that. It uses more power so you'll be spending more on electricity. Listen to the enthusiasts here, as they tend to be objective(mostly, anyway).

bro1

Banned
Anybody have any experience with the Qnix Evolution II 1440P monitor? I just got it and I have some backlight bleeding that is driving me nuts.

lmpaler

Just looking for a quick advice PC GAF on a possible monitor. I currently play on my Plasma @ 720p Native due to space, but I am finally moving into a bigger place for me and my little one and will have a much, much bigger area so I am considering getting a desk, chair and monitor and having a proper setup.

My quick rig specs are as follows:

i5-3570k @ 4.5
16GB RAM
GTX 670 FTW Edition
OS on SSD blah blah.

Anyways I know 1440p is the new sex pot so I am curious as to is I should get a second card for SLI or beef it up to a newer model(it is about a year old to the day since I first purchased it) and then get one of those sexy 1440P monitors I keep hearing about. In a perfect world I would be 120fps solid in everything, but alas it may not be so. The boon of life I suppose. Granted even moving up to a solid 1080p from that HDTV res would be fantastic, but let's be real here, that was soooo last season.

Pachimari

GeForce experience is a great piece of software, it's not using enough space/resources to deserve deleting. I'm eagerly awaiting your reaction to the insane upgrade of the 780 over your Intel HD graphics, I have a 780 myself and it really is all you need for 1080p gaming right now!

D:

But I'm thinking if I should go 1440p? I have seen many on GAF talk about it, but is it worthless if I only have a 1080p monitor?

I actually think my monitor might be very weak for gaming.

Another thing is, I don't understand how a multi-screen setup works. If I have to use the video card for all screens, and use the HDMI for the HDTV and the DVI for the monitor or the other way around?

No one is more paranoid about bloatware than me, so I understand that kind of thinking. I'm the kind of person that usually un-checks most programs running in the system tray unless it's absolutely needed. I do not notice Geforce Experience hogging resources though and it makes things like downloading new drivers that much easier. It also has the new Shadowplay built in if your card supports it, so you wouldn't want to miss out on that. I also find the optimal game settings feature to be a useful starting point, not necessary the gospel or anything.

Alright, I won't install it. I'm new after all. :D

Zabojnik

Two computers, one set of PC speakers with standard 3,5mm stereo jack. Can you guys recommend a cheap switch that would let me, well, switch between the two computers / audio sources? Thanks.

HardRojo

Hey everyone, I asked about a laptop a couple of days ago but it looks like I'll end up getting a PC for my boss' kid, do these specs sound good for a PC that needs to run games like League of Legends, CoD, Battlefield and Minecraft decently?

APU: AMD A10-7700k Kaveri
MB: ASUS A88XM-A
GRAPHICS CARD: AMD R7 260x
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
HDD: SEAGATE 1TB

If there's something that could be changed for a similar price (I'm in Peru so prices are a bit different from US but not by a large margin) please let me know.

mug

Hey everyone, I asked about a laptop a couple of days ago but it looks like I'll end up getting a PC for my boss' kid, do these specs sound good for a PC that needs to run games like League of Legends, CoD, Battlefield and Minecraft decently?

APU: AMD A10-7700k Kaveri
MB: ASUS A88XM-A
GRAPHICS CARD: AMD R7 260x
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
HDD: SEAGATE 1TB

If there's something that could be changed for a similar price (I'm in Peru so prices are a bit different from US but not by a large margin) please let me know.
Just a quick word of advice - don't buy Seagate.

HardRojo

What are good alternatives? WD, Samsung or Toshiba maybe?
Do those specs sound fine? I don't want my boss to call me during weekends saying his kid had trouble with some stuff, I just want to be done with it heh.

Pachimari

I'm actually curious as to why one shouldn't pick Seagate?

I actually think I made a mistake buying a Seagate 3TB HDD because it is VERY loud, even in my silent Fractal Design Define R4 case.

BIGWORM

If you're into emulation(specifically Dolphin and PCSX2), get yourself an i5. Trust me, I've got an 8320 and it's balls for that. It uses more power so you'll be spending more on electricity. Listen to the enthusiasts here, as they tend to be objective(mostly, anyway).

I had LITERALLY jumped from an FX 8320 to an i5 4670K for that VERY reason. I now know why I've stuck with Intel since I upgraded from my old 775 Athlon XP 2000+ =P

lmpaler

What are good alternatives? WD, Samsung or Toshiba maybe?
Do those specs sound fine? I don't want my boss to call me during weekends saying his kid had trouble with some stuff, I just want to be done with it heh.

Opinions may vary, but me personally, WD has NEVER let me down and my Samsung SSD is flawless. The few Seagates I owned were good for awhile then just went to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom