• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleepey

Yes, although you don't have to go for a K CPU. £180 can still get you an Intel i5 just no overclocking option.

Do you need the DVD drive? If it's just to install Windows install it via USB.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: V7 KC0D1-5N6 Wired Standard Keyboard ($7.61 @ Amazon)
Mouse: V7 M30P10-7N Wired Optical Mouse ($4.45 @ Mwave)
Total: $763.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-22 14:41 EDT-0400)

Or if you were happy to drop to a 760 there is this which can overclock on the CPU side and is a better long term rig imo

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $795.90
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-22 14:45 EDT-0400)

Can you explain OCing and heat to me. I have a vague idea of cooling but not a lot:

kharma45

Can you explain OCing and heat to me. I have a vague idea of cooling but not a lot:

It's running your CPU at a higher speed than it originally shipped at. With Intel only K models (like the 4670K, 4770K) can do it and you need a Z series motherboard (like the Z87 chipset) to do it. The performance boost is around 20-25% over stock and it'll help in CPU bound games and in multiplayer. It consumes more power and puts out more heat but even a £25 cooler like the Hyper 212 is sufficient to manage an overclocked CPU.

On a modern Intel system overclocking is quite easy. It's just a matter of changing the voltage and multiplier really, although you can tweak other options.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm not actually building a new PC, but this seems like the most appropriate thread to ask:

Is there any way to move my OS to an SSD without cloning the entire drive? I have a 256gb SSD, but I have 3 nearly-full 1tb HDDs installed now.

OK, got my M500 SSD in from Amazon and Windows 8 (upgraded to 8.1) from Reddit to replace my dying Vertex 2 with Windows 7. Everything is good to go now, got all my programs working properly, drivers installed, some minor tweaks, etc. I'm just wondering, are there any good guides to using 8.1? Or, any general tips/tweaks that Gaffers have found handy?

kharma45

OK, got my M500 SSD in from Amazon and Windows 8 (upgraded to 8.1) from Reddit to replace my dying Vertex 2 with Windows 7. Everything is good to go now, got all my programs working properly, drivers installed, some minor tweaks, etc. I'm just wondering, are there any good guides to using 8.1? Or, any general tips/tweaks that Gaffers have found handy?

Unpin everything from the Start menu and start from scratch, only pin what you need.

Right clicking the Start button can be very handy if you're stuck and looking for something but usually just typing what you need from the Start screen does the job.

knitoe

Install Classic Shell. Get rid of the shitty Metro. Make it look and function like Windows 7

Pachimari

I need to understand these multi-monitor setups.

Will I just connect a HDMI cable from my GTX 780 to the HDTV, a DVI-I from the GTX 780 to my monitor #1 and a DVI-D cable from GTX 780 to monitor #2?

And will my computer be able to play games on 2 monitors, like Age of Empires HD?

Broken motherboard?
Also another thing. When I run Plex (movie theater app) through HDMI on my motherboard, artefacts show up in the interface but when I run HDMI through my GPU, there's no such artefacts. Is my motherboard about to die? It have been wet before as you all know. :)

Franco_hunter

Neo Member
its just a mistake right?

hJwPHEL.png

Durante

http://startisback.com

Best $3 I ever spent on software.

Right mouse click in the bottom left for useful stuff. Set settings to boot to desktop and if you see a file association that is linked to a Metro app change it.

Search how to disable a password if you have a linked Microsoft account, if that is your preference.

And you can just use everything like Windows 8 pretty much. Many people love the classicshell and other stuff that brings the start menu back, but I still don't really see the benefit.

And you can try and make the start menu useful if you want to bother.

Asiriya

Neo Member

Will I just connect a HDMI cable from my GTX 780 to the HDTV, a DVI-I from the GTX 780 to my monitor #1 and a DVI-D cable from GTX 780 to monitor #2?

And will my computer be able to play games on 2 monitors, like Age of Empires HD?

Whenever I plug my laptop into a tv or monitor by HDMI it autodetects. You then go into display settings and decide how you want to display things; the same on both screens or as if they were one large screen. My laptop is a bit weird, if I keep the HDMI plugged in the whole time it thinks the display is active, even with the monitor powered off. Not sure how you get around that.

I don't see why you would want to play AoE2 over two screens because you'll have the bezel in the middle. It's probably possible though, and you can certainly play on one and have the other free for a film or something.

Pachimari

Whenever I plug my laptop into a tv or monitor by HDMI it autodetects. You then go into display settings and decide how you want to display things; the same on both screens or as if they were one large screen. My laptop is a bit weird, if I keep the HDMI plugged in the whole time it thinks the display is active, even with the monitor powered off. Not sure how you get around that.

I don't see why you would want to play AoE2 over two screens because you'll have the bezel in the middle. It's probably possible though, and you can certainly play on one and have the other free for a film or something.

But when I turn on my computer, it seems like it detects my HDTV as the main screen with the task bar, even though I have chosen my monitor to be screen #1 with the task bar.

I also can't seem to get the right resolution for my HDTV. I pick 1920x1080 but the image doesn't fit my 1080p HDTV. =/

scogoth

Yes, but most games don't support multi-monitor setups like AoE2HD does. That means you have to use nvidia control panel to setup a surround display using the two monitors which tricks games into think that there is only one really wide screen. Also any game that has a first/third person view will not work with only two screens because the cursor will be on the bezel between the two screens.

But when I turn on my computer, it seems like it detects my HDTV as the main screen with the task bar, even though I have chosen my monitor to be screen #1 with the task bar.

I also can't seem to get the right resolution for my HDTV. I pick 1920x1080 but the image doesn't fit my 1080p HDTV. =/

Change your TV's setup to Just Scan, 1:1, PC mode, Full mode or something like that to prevent overscan. Or if your TV doesn't have that option then you can go into Nvidia control panel and setup overscan compensation.

delirium

I'm having some weird issues with my new computer. After copying a 1GB file over from the SSD to an HDD (which has my old Windows on it), I can't do any disk access at all. Chrome won't load because it can't read from the cache, and the system kind of grinds into a halt.

Anyone have an knowledge about this? Bad SSD?

Franco_hunter

Neo Member
For the money you are spending.. You are better off building it yourself.

You'd get alot more performance for your dollar buying parts individually

Unless you seriously want a fancy Dell case :3

No no, i dont actually want that, i asked if it was a mistake because i saw the 760ti which i never see anywhere, i thought it didnt exist.
Huge mistake from me...

Hello all, I've run into a bit of an issue. I ordered a computer through NCIX.com and it turns out they are out of stock of certain parts of my (or more appropriately Haz's) build. To get the computer in any reasonable amount of time, I need to swap a new motherboard and and heat sink into the build.

Motherboard I ordered was the MSI Z87-G55
As an alternative, they have suggested...
  1. ASUS Z87-A ATX Z87
  2. MSI Z87-G41 ATX LGA1150 Z87
  3. MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX
  4. ASRock FATAL1TY Z87 Killer ATX
  5. Gigabyte Z87X-D3H ATX
Of course I could sub in whatever I choose, assuming it's in stock. Any thoughts/opinions on this?

Although not nearly as big a deal, it's the same story with the Heat sink I ordered...

I went with the Corsair H60, they suggested ...
  1. Corsair H75
  2. Corsair H80i
As before, I could sub in something else as I see fit. Any thoughts/suggestions here?

Just FYI I am in Canada which does slightly limit what I have available. Anyway, thanks for everyone's hard work & time spent dragging the rest of us Luddites to sweet PC builds.

Tablo

Anyone have any recommended monitors? Using a GTX 760.
Any preferences? Budget? Screen size? Gloss/matte?
Do you think you would prefer better motion resolution or colors?
You can either go the 144hz TN panel route or IPS/equivalents.

Miguel81

Hmm. But I am paying at mimumum a £50 premium for a comparable intel CPU. Is it worth it?

The i5-4670k is an 84w chip vs 8350 125w. You'll save on electricity in the long run. I got my 8320 over a year ago for 120 bucks so I had no issue getting it at the time, but Intel seems to be competing with itself at this point.

i want to go back to gaming on pc. my 2010 laptop is sporting a laughable amd mobility radeon 4200 hd, but it still plays indie games and older games so there's that.

my last serious pc gaming was about 15 years ago. that was the time of nvidia riva tnt2 with a whopping 32 mb of vram.

first off, i do not know how to build pcs. i know anyone can do it as long as they devote time to research hardware, but i can't afford to do that.

can anyone do a setup for me, at least the parts? i don't care about multi-monitor gaming, but i want a strong enough gpu that i don't want to change for at least 2-3 years. i also don't like to overclock. in fact, i underclock my laughable cpu right now because it gets too hot, dual-core each running at 800mhz. lol. i do not care about load times, so i am good with regular 7200rpm hdd.

i am in such a dilemma. i know i'll be getting a ps4 (because ps exclusives have always been awesome), but i also want to game on pc. it's not much as the cost (although i am mindful of it) as it is the lack of time. i still game on my psp and i still play ps1 jrpgs i have missed out on. i play indie games and older games on my laptop, especially older games i didn't get to play. i still haven't finished tlou and ni no kuni and shadow of the colossus. maybe i should just wait for ddr4 to drop?

appaws

Banned
i want to go back to gaming on pc. my 2010 laptop is sporting a laughable amd mobility radeon 4200 hd, but it still plays indie games and older games so there's that.

my last serious pc gaming was about 15 years ago. that was the time of nvidia riva tnt2 with a whopping 32 mb of vram.

first off, i do not know how to build pcs. i know anyone can do it as long as they devote time to research hardware, but i can't afford to do that.

can anyone do a setup for me, at least the parts? i don't care about multi-monitor gaming, but i want a strong enough gpu that i don't want to change for at least 2-3 years. i also don't like to overclock. in fact, i underclock my laughable cpu right now because it gets too hot, dual-core each running at 800mhz. lol. i do not care about load times, so i am good with regular 7200rpm hdd.

i am in such a dilemma. i know i'll be getting a ps4 (because ps exclusives have always been awesome), but i also want to game on pc. it's not much as the cost (although i am mindful of it) as it is the lack of time. i still game on my psp and i still play ps1 jrpgs i have missed out on. i play indie games and older games on my laptop, especially older games i didn't get to play. i still haven't finished tlou and ni no kuni and shadow of the colossus. maybe i should just wait for ddr4 to drop?

Read the OP. Study the OP. So much info. Great videos on how to build. Don't worry it is easy.

Fill out the form in the OP and post it here. We need to know your budget.

maneil99

Hello all, I've run into a bit of an issue. I ordered a computer through NCIX.com and it turns out they are out of stock of certain parts of my (or more appropriately Haz's) build. To get the computer in any reasonable amount of time, I need to swap a new motherboard and and heat sink into the build.

Motherboard I ordered was the MSI Z87-G55
As an alternative, they have suggested...
  1. ASUS Z87-A ATX Z87
  2. MSI Z87-G41 ATX LGA1150 Z87
  3. MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX
  4. ASRock FATAL1TY Z87 Killer ATX
  5. Gigabyte Z87X-D3H ATX
Of course I could sub in whatever I choose, assuming it's in stock. Any thoughts/opinions on this?

Although not nearly as big a deal, it's the same story with the Heat sink I ordered...

I went with the Corsair H60, they suggested ...
  1. Corsair H75
  2. Corsair H80i
As before, I could sub in something else as I see fit. Any thoughts/suggestions here?

Just FYI I am in Canada which does slightly limit what I have available. Anyway, thanks for everyone's hard work & time spent dragging the rest of us Luddites to sweet PC builds.
Get the Asus and get a 212 + Evo its cooler and cheaper

Alexalder

Banned
Searching for a 24" monitor for coding and light gaming (dota, league, hearthstone). Cheap as possibile beacuse it's for a gift, but decent, thanks

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is there a difference between a Windows 8 and a Windows 8.1 Key? I see I can get both from my school, are they basically the same thing?

iqubal

Banned
So GAF , I'm in Canada and need a new wifi network card/adapter for my computer. Any reason to stick with PCI or get an USB one now?

Any suggestion for models (available in canada ) would be appreciated too! Thanks!

chualie

Thinking of selling my desktop PC and getting a laptop

i5-3570k 3.4 GHz (stock, never overclocked)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
Sapphire AMD HD 7950 3GB Video Card
Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Seagate Desktop 1TB SSHD
Corsair HX650 PSU
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO heatsink/fan
Fractal Design Arc Midi Black Case

Not sure how much to sell this for and was wondering what you guys thought my PC would be worth.

Thanks for the help :)

LordAlu

Searching for a 24" monitor for coding and light gaming (dota, league, hearthstone). Cheap as possibile beacuse it's for a gift, but decent, thanks
I'd probably just go IPS if it's only light gaming. IPS panels are generally only 23" rather than 24" but maybe something like an Iiyama XU2390HS would do? They're pretty nice and only about £125.

So GAF , I'm in Canada and need a new wifi network card/adapter for my computer. Any reason to stick with PCI or get an USB one now?

Any suggestion for models (available in canada ) would be appreciated too! Thanks!
No particular reason but using a card does mean you don't have a dongle sticking out of (and using up) a USB port. I've personally never had any problems with TP-Link, so something like the TL-WN851ND would suit you.

Read the OP. Study the OP. So much info. Great videos on how to build. Don't worry it is easy.

Fill out the form in the OP and post it here. We need to know your budget.

your current specs: n/a

budget: 1k - canada

main use: rate 1-5. 5 being highest:
light gaming 5,
gaming 5,
emulation 4-ish,
video editing 0,
streaming games in hd 0,
3d/model work 0,
general usage 5

monitor resolution: 1080p? will buy a monitor. no multiple monitor setup. will try downsampling.

list specific games or applications that you must be able to run well: witcher 3, upcoming next gen games, nba 2k, indies, 10 bit videos.

looking to reuse any parts?: n/a

when will you build?: asap.

no overclocking.

note: pref a quiet, cool system. looking to not uograde for some time. don't care about sound or gaming acccesories like kb/m.

maneil99

Just got a BSOD while alt tabbing back into titanfall. CPU is overclocked thats all, been solid for 9 months. BSOD was Driver_corrupted_expool. BSOD viewer can't detect the driver that caused it though.. any help?

Bleepey

The i5-4670k is an 84w chip vs 8350 125w. You'll save on electricity in the long run. I got my 8320 over a year ago for 120 bucks so I had no issue getting it at the time, but Intel seems to be competing with itself at this point.

What games does the 8320 run, how are you finding it?

LordAlu

your current specs: n/a

budget: 1k - canada

main use: rate 1-5. 5 being highest:
light gaming 5,
gaming 5,
emulation 4-ish,
video editing 0,
streaming games in hd 0,
3d/model work 0,
general usage 5

monitor resolution: 1080p? will buy a monitor. no multiple monitor setup. will try downsampling.

list specific games or applications that you must be able to run well: witcher 3, upcoming next gen games, nba 2k, indies, 10 bit videos.

looking to reuse any parts?: n/a

when will you build?: asap.

no overclocking.

note: pref a quiet, cool system. looking to not uograde for some time. don't care about sound or gaming acccesories like kb/m.
You're probably looking at something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H 1.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($90.50 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.75 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($289.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($48.85 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($20.00 @ Reddit)
Total: $1002.80
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-23 05:35 EDT-0400)

Although you've mentioned no overclocking the hardware (minus the cooler) is there for it. The reason I've gone that way is that (a) overclocking is super easy, you just change some values in the BIOS, (b) you can get a 20-25% performance increase and (c) this means you can get better performance from your games and especially emulation, increasing the longevity of your system. If you decide to overclock later you can just slap a Cooler Master 212 EVO on there and away you go.

What games does the 8320 run, how are you finding it?

Technically it runs all of them, the problem is that it will only keep up with i7's on games that use exactly 8 threads or are insanely GPU dependant. Intel CPU's can process many more Instructions Per Clock (IPC) which means given a single thread, an Intel CPU will plow through it substantially faster than an AMD CPU. This is affected by things like Clock Speed, but you would have to overclock the AMD CPU to oblivion just to keep up with the Intel CPU on a per thread basis. As it stands right now, the more CPU dependant a game is (think MMO's and RTS games) the more an Intel CPU will benefit you. Games like World of Warcraft, Starcraft II, FFXIV, Skyrim, and many others run better on an Intel i3 than even an AMD FX-8350 for this reason. Another thing that comes into play is which instruction sets are utilized, but that's a different beast entirely (looking at you Douchethesda).

Most games (almost all) use between 1 and 4 threads, and all Intel i-Series CPU's support up to 4 threads, so there's very few situations where an AMD CPU will outperform even an entry level i3-4xxx CPU, and almost none where an AMD CPU will outperform an i5-4670k. So when you compare something like an FX-8350 setup to an i5-4670k setup, you're looking at a CPU that performs worse, uses more power, and generates more heat. The only time I would recommend an AMD CPU is if you make a living working with heavily threaded applications--video editting basically.

BIGWORM

Technically it runs all of them, the problem is that it will only keep up with i7's on games that use exactly 8 threads or are insanely GPU dependant. Intel CPU's can process many more Instructions Per Clock (IPC) which means given a single thread, an Intel CPU will plow through it substantially faster than an AMD CPU. This is affected by things like Clock Speed, but you would have to overclock the AMD CPU to oblivion just to keep up with the Intel CPU on a per thread basis. As it stands right now, the more CPU dependant a game is (think MMO's and RTS games) the more an Intel CPU will benefit you. Games like World of Warcraft, Starcraft II, FFXIV, Skyrim, and many others run better on an Intel i3 than even an AMD FX-8350 for this reason. Another thing that comes into play is which instruction sets are utilized, but that's a different beast entirely (looking at you Douchethesda).

Most games (almost all) use between 1 and 4 threads, and all Intel i-Series CPU's support up to 4 threads, so there's very few situations where an AMD CPU will outperform even an entry level i3-4xxx CPU, and almost none where an AMD CPU will outperform an i5-4670k. So when you compare something like an FX-8350 setup to an i5-4670k setup, you're looking at a CPU that performs worse, uses more power, and generates more heat. The only time I would recommend an AMD CPU is if you make a living working with heavily threaded applications--video editting basically.

Bolded for truth. I couldn't believe the idle temps I was having on my 8320--60-65c STOCK AND IDLE! Right now, sitting here typing this on my 4670k OC @ 4.0, HWMonitor is reading low 20s across all cores. Huge difference.

Coreda

Is there any good reason to use a 6GB GPU? EVGA are going to be offering an upgrade to existing GTX 780 users soon and I was wondering what benefit the extra GBs would be, from say a 3GB 780.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom