• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any difference between these products?

Gigabyte GV-N760OC-2GD REV2.0 (Gigabyte GTX 760)

and

MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC (MSI GTX 760)
?

Probably just a different manufacturer? If I have a Gigabyte Mainboard, should I choose the Gigabyte GTX760 or doesn´t that matter at all?

that doesn't matter.

and yes the cards are pretty much the same but from different manufacturers so you can choose anyone tbh (since those coolers on them are pretty good).

Warranty stuff might make a difference since the different manufacturers have their own ways with dealing with that stuff.

Any suggestions as to which motherboard would best complement an i5 4670K for someone who has no intention of ever running a dual card setup.
I plan on overclocking and want to keep the cost less than the CPU itself.

Mozendo

Hmm I thought I posted here earlier, guess not since it's not in my comment history.

Anywho, where are some good places to buy used PC parts? Looking for a MSI 770 graphics card for around in the $270-$290 price range. I'll have the money by next monday or tuesday and I'm looking everywhere, but it seems people aren't selling them or I'm looking in the wrong places ;_;

Any suggestions as to which motherboard would best complement an i5 4670K for someone who has no intention of ever running a dual card setup.
I plan on overclocking and want to keep the cost less than the CPU itself.
GIGABYTE GA-Z87-DS3H and ASRock Z87 PRO3 are both single PCI Express 3.0 slot MoBos under $100

mkenyon

Banned
Alright guys, I was holding out for the Haswell-E's but two weeks ago I caved and ordered a little mITX box. Of course, a few days later Intel announces the updated haswell's are releasing earlier... but hey, that's life ;)
I checked this out pretty extensively at Fry's recently. Absolutely gorgeous case, love the setup.
Lots of stuff
Before you make a final processor decision, keep in mind that Dota 2 really responds well to an overclocked CPU. These are done with a 3570K and 7970.

AbxKn.png

lh4FY.png

ClGmj.png

(swap the numbers on that last one)

mkenyon

Banned
Budget builders rejoice! It looks like they're finally releasing a Kaveri processor without the iGPU!

FX670K

900x900px-LL-9bb94de0_77a.jpeg

If the price is around $100, it might be an awesome purchase, depending on how much one can OC them by. The IPC is much much better than the Vishera FX processors, so it could be a very viable alternative to i3s and low end i5s.

mkenyon

Banned
Nice. What's the performance difference between 4.0 and 4.5 if I wanted to push the overclock a little further? Or would just overclocking to 4.0 be good enough?
Depends on the application or game, as well as your performance requirements. Look above a few posts to see the difference in Dota 2.

Depends on the application or game, as well as your performance requirements. Look above a few posts to see the difference in Dota 2.

Damn... why didn't I see that? I wasn't paying attention. Looks like 4.4 would be the sweet spot. So that's what I'll probably shoot for.

Is there any particular reason Dota 2 was used as a reference? Is it like a really CPU intensive game?

Dynamic3

Any recommendations for a silent and modular PSU that can power a single 770/forthcoming 870 and two HDDs?

I'm 0/2 with my Corsair HX650 (had to RMA the first one and the second one makes this annoying "chirping noise" all the time as it presumably changes it's fan speed...not sure why it does this even when I'm not using the PC). I don't mind paying up for niceties such as sleeved cables.

Budget builders rejoice! It looks like they're finally releasing a Kaveri processor without the iGPU!

FX670K

If the price is around $100, it might be an awesome purchase, depending on how much one can OC them by. The IPC is much much better than the Vishera FX processors, so it could be a very viable alternative to i3s and low end i5s.

Would be interesting to see how far they go without the boat anchor iGP attached. Any word on TrueAudio being enabled?

In other news, I've got a Zalman clipmic and a cheap pair of Superlux cans coming in today, they're replacing an old Turtle Beach headset I've been using for a while.

Damn... why didn't I see that? I wasn't paying attention. Looks like 4.4 would be the sweet spot. So that's what I'll probably shoot for.

Is there any particular reason Dota 2 was used as a reference? Is it like a really CPU intensive game?
I had brought it up as a frequently used program in my build questions earlier.

W Hudson

Just built my first gaming PC last month (4670K overclocked to 4.5 GHz and GTX 780), and so far its been running great. There have been a couple expected hiccups early but I got everything sorted out it seems. I decided to download OCCT and stress test the system. After a few seconds the program starts making a quacking noise and tells me that there was an error in core 1, or something to that effect. It stopped the test and I haven't run it again but everything is running great still and I don't have a problem with any game at present. Should I worry about this or should I just ignore it since my PC runs smoothly. Opinions on OCCT seem to be all over the place so I don't know what to think right now.

Anyone? Just ran the OCCT test again and got the same results.

Fxp

I need an advice on choosing new GPU. My budget is ~ $200 but relative to European prices since I'm not from US. I'm still my old 4:3 monitor with native resolution of 1600x1200. GPU will be used mostly for gaming + some HD movies now and then.

P.S. I've been checking monthly Tom's Hardware recommendations for CPU and GPU upgrades, how reliable are these?

mkenyon

Banned
Any recommendations for a silent and modular PSU that can power a single 770/forthcoming 870 and two HDDs?

I'm 0/2 with my Corsair HX650 (had to RMA the first one and the second one makes this annoying "chirping noise" all the time as it presumably changes it's fan speed...not sure why it does this even when I'm not using the PC). I don't mind paying up for niceties such as sleeved cables.
RM650, 500W Seasonic Fanless, CM V700, Seasonic/Corsair X/AX 660/760/860.
FX6300 + GTX760 ; Any bottlenecks? Should I go for the FX8320 or over-clock the FX6300?
Yes, you will have bottlenecks in every game where CPU matters. Multiplayer games, Skyrim, UE3 games, MMOs, some others.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=105518879&postcount=9470

All MP games are fairly CPU intensive. The Source engine responds really well to overclocking in general.
In other news, I've got a Zalman clipmic and a cheap pair of Superlux cans coming in today, they're replacing an old Turtle Beach headset I've been using for a while.
You should send that back and get a ModMic. :p

I've been using the Superlux 668Bs for the last few weeks to try them out, and am really impressed. Great sound stage, they work really well with virtualized surround. They aren't the comfiest, but that's because I compare everything to the big Sennheiser design.

Does anyone know if big screen 1440p TV's are on the horizon? I'm a PC couch gamer and can't go down to 27". Or is 4k going to be as good as it gets?

mkenyon

Banned
Does anyone know if big screen 1440p TV's are on the horizon? I'm a PC couch gamer and can't go down to 27".
Nope, and I wouldn't imagine there will be any with 4K being the new hotness. If you're just out for resolution, you could use one of those Seiki 4Ks. They can even overclock to 120Hz when in 1080p.

kharma45

FX670K

Sweet. Look forward to seeing its release.

Nope, and I wouldn't imagine there will be any with 4K being the new hotness. If you're just out for resolution, you could use one of those Seiki 4Ks. They can even overclock to 120Hz when in 1080p.

Yeah, I just edited my post. That's what I figured. How does 1080p 120hz overclock compare to 1440p 60hz?

todd360

Currently installing my new SSD.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Your computer is booting OS from your SSD for the first time. Something falls off your desk. You bend down to pick it up. You sit back up and look at the screen. Its already done booting. You sit in silence for a few moments, pondering if you will use this newfound speed for good or evil. Sanic appears and screechs "GOT TO GO FAST!" and disappears.

You let out an evil laugh.

To be continued...

guys need a final advice,

I have to decide which graphics card to get, I'm torn between MSI's Gaming R9 290 or Gigabyte's GTX 780 3GB OC, I can get both for the same price. I've read lots of reviews both cards seem to be on par so I don't know which one to choose

kind of a bummer that my 780 is coming when diablo 3 expansion hits. it's kind of a waste when my current card can easily get 80+fps for most of the time lol.

i will give batman origins a spin though, what other games have good physx? I heard AC4's was shit.

Ellite25

Guys I can't even get my PC to back up my files on my external HDD. Getting an error message.

Help?

Edit: I think I figured it out

maneil99

guys need a final advice,

I have to decide which graphics card to get, I'm torn between MSI's Gaming R9 290 or Gigabyte's GTX 780 3GB OC, I can get both for the same price. I've read lots of reviews both cards seem to be on par so I don't know which one to choose

Same price? 780gtx. It overclocks better. Also mantle is not going to catch on likely and the new nvidia drivers are supposedly increase the performance of thief and that space game above mantle levels.

LilJoka

Anyone? Just ran the OCCT test again and got the same results.

Its an unstable overclock.
Try Prime95 instead, although OCCT shouldnt fail either.

Youll need to back off the overclock or increase the CPU Vcore. Although, with OCCT its more difficult to debug, i use Prime95 Custom Blend test with as much RAM as possible tested too.

scogoth

I think 120Hz gaming is the most important development since broadband.

So overpriced, shitty service, horrible uploads and demands that both consumers and other companies pay them because they are evil?

I dunno, I like 120Hz. I think its pretty awesome.

appaws

Banned
I need an advice on choosing new GPU. My budget is ~ $200 but relative to European prices since I'm not from US. I'm still my old 4:3 monitor with native resolution of 1600x1200. GPU will be used mostly for gaming + some HD movies now and then.

P.S. I've been checking monthly Tom's Hardware recommendations for CPU and GPU upgrades, how reliable are these?

IMO, Tom's is not that good a site. Just my opinion.

I suggest Techreport.com and pcper.com.

appaws

Banned
FX6300 + GTX760 ; Any bottlenecks? Should I go for the FX8320 or over-clock the FX6300?

I would say to use what you got as long as it does what you want it to...I don't know anything about how good an overclocker the fx6300 is, I am sure there are guides out there.

As far as bottlenecks, that is dependent on what game/software you are running...on some things it makes no difference, it's all on the GPU. On some things the CPU plays a much bigger role and it might hold you back.

It's hard to recommend the 8320 when it is so solidly outperformed by the competition at the price. I think the move over to an i5 would probably be good if you can afford to do it.

sqwarlock

Is there any reason to choose the 4GB 770 over the 2GB 770 if I don't plan on playing across multiple screens or at a resolution higher than 1080p? It's only a $50 price difference for the Gigabyte ones on NewEgg, but is it worth it?

wingz

New to the PC building game. I'm trying to build a new PC that can handle gaming in 1400p (Handle games like Witcher 3 in very high settings). Going to buy a 27" Korean PLS monitor.

Tasks:
Gaming 1400p
HD Videos
Normal Mircosoft Office work

Currently deciding what parts to buy. Here is my list so far (Canadian prices):

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/3fJm7

I am trying to cut costs, but at the same time picking parts that will last a while. Right now, I'm opting to go with the Sapphire R9 280x 3gb Vapor-X because GTX 780 is definitely more expensive. Is there some parts that I can switch out?

Thanks for your help!

RedSwirl

Oh shit.

All the power outlets in the room just went out for roughly an hour, then suddenly came back on after I randomly plugged a Side Socket into another outlet on the same floor. Since then, I've heard crackling from two of the outlets, one of them is the one behind my PC.

Prior to this I had two PCs hooked up in the room (both idle) and a heater. What is going on.

I have basically nothing turned on right now. My main PC is powered off and unplugged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom