• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a mate of mine is looking to get a custom PC built from PCcasegear for around $1500 AUD (including $100 for it to be built) and I'd normally be able to recommend some stuff but he doesn't need it for gaming. He needs it for music/video production (he gave an example of pro tools?), with his main wants being very fast boot up (SSD), plenty of storage (large HDD's) and lots of ram (he was thinking 32gb)? Any help is appreciated.

Stasis

Okay I know this is moving into Electrician GAF but I found one bad power outlet. Had a burn mark on the outside and an exposed wire on the inside. Checked all the others on the affected fuse and none look burned on the outside.

Has anybody ever had electricity problems with more than one desktop in the same room?

I've had problems when running a desktop and two space heaters (accidentally, in adjacent rooms) on the same fuse. Killed it pretty quick. Or when starting up a Brother laser printer on the same circuit as my PC.

This is a 2 year old place too. Just weak power in the rooms I guess. Maybe that's your issue. Though how to fix it it have no idea.

No bottlenecks, should work fine.
But if you have the money for an 8320 go for an i5 if you want to upgrade.

Ok thanks for the tip! But which i5 should I go for though? ; 2500k? Are there any advantages to Haswell over Sandy/Ivy bridge?
Also, the motherboards seem far more costly. I can only spare a little extra. Should I post my build for you guys to critique? I'll be building around June/July.

Ah, thanks. I thought they weren't out yet, haha. How much did postage cost on that? And how are you liking it (if you've used it)?

Ah, postage is £8? Hmm.

Yeah the postage hurt a bit but I needed to get the card as I was building a secondary 'budget-range' PC so me and my partner could both play online games together. It was either this card or a 750ti and this card is better in benchmarks.

I have only played Titanfall using the card but it runs well enough (the game is a bit messy on whatever spec).

Sorry I can't really add anything else. It keeps nice and cool under load too.

kiyomi

Yeah the postage hurt a bit but I needed to get the card as I was building a secondary 'budget-range' PC so me and my partner could both play online games together. It was either this card or a 750ti and this card is better in benchmarks.

I have only played Titanfall using the card but it runs well enough (the game is a bit messy on whatever spec).

Sorry I can't really add anything else. It keeps nice and cool under load too.

Thanks, yeah, that's the decision I'm trying to make, between the 265 or a 750 Ti. I'll probably go with the 265, although £120 gets me perilously close to a 270X :/ I just need a card that will tide me over until the mid-high range Maxwells come out.

I guess it's a good thing that there are GPUs in all sorts of price ranges, it just makes it tricky when you don't know your exact budget. :p

I'd be interested to know how well the 265 overclocks, if you decide to do that.

Thanks, yeah, that's the decision I'm trying to make, between the 265 or a 750 Ti. I'll probably go with the 265, although £120 gets me perilously close to a 270X :/ I just need a card that will tide me over until the mid-high range Maxwells come out.

I guess it's a good thing that there are GPUs in all sorts of price ranges, it just makes it tricky when you don't know your exact budget. :p

I'd be interested to know how well the 265 overclocks, if you decide to do that.

Against the advice of someone earlier in this thread, I have used the AMD overdrive software to overclock the card to the maximum that the software allows. Off the top of my head I think the clock went to 1050MHz. I cannot remember the memory speed.

The temperatures stay good and I have played through Titanfall and also running the Unigine Heaven benchmark a number of times without any nasty artifacts or crashes.

I will use Precision X rather than the Overdrive software in the coming days to overclock it 'properly'.

I'm in the process of building a beast, any note worthy changes that I should make to the list below?

Also rumour has it that the 20nm Maxwells will be on show at Nvidia's Graphics Technology Conference later today so I'm waiting to see what gets announced there before I pull the trigger.

Case NZXT Phantom 820 Matte Black Case
CPU Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket 1150 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
GPU EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC 3GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING Socket 1150 HDMI D-Sub DVI 8-Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Memory Corsair 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Platinum Series
Storage Crucial 480GB M500 2.5 6GBps SSD
Storage #2 WD 4TB Black Hard Drive
CPU Cooler Corsair Hydro Series™ H100i
Power Supply Corsair Professional Digital AX860i Fully Modular 80 PLUS Platinum 860W PSU

Arksy

I bought a R9-290X Tri-X this week and was super excited until I found out my P8Z68-v Pro and 2600k aren't compatible with it. I tried updating bios and everything but still got no display out of my PCI-e port. Couldn't even get to the bios screen, my old video card works (6950) and I managed to replace my new card and same thing.....

So I might be in the market for a new, more compatible motherboard. I kind of like my 2600k though.

The issue with getting a new mobo is that you have to get a new cpu to go with it and FUCK ME CPU's are PRICEY.

/rant /cry

shandy706

Saw this on Asus' page earlier. I want to build something like this someday... I've been building PCs for over 15 years, but have never gone this sleek/high-end.

I'm not a fan of white...but I love how unified and clean this is.

1947840_10152690296287388_804518024_n.jpg

I'm trying to wait one more year for my next PC build, but I'm probably going to use whatever version of this thread is around as I make my journey.

Carry on :)

Smokey

I bought a R9-290X Tri-X this week and was super excited until I found out my P8Z68-v Pro and 2600k aren't compatible with it. I tried updating bios and everything but still got no display out of my PCI-e port. Couldn't even get to the bios screen, my old video card works (6950) and I managed to replace my new card and same thing.....

So I might be in the market for a new, more compatible motherboard. I kind of like my 2600k though.

The issue with getting a new mobo is that you have to get a new cpu to go with it and FUCK ME CPU's are PRICEY.

/rant /cry

Huh?

Why would it not be compatible? Is this a known AMD issue? I'm still on P8Z68 with a 2600k as well, but in green team. I've gone through a lot of GPUs with no problems.

Bleepey

A few questions. How different is a 7850 to a gtx660? It seems that the 7850 is practically identical and it's performance can be either way relative to the 660. Also what should I consider when it comes to towers/cases?

b0bbyJ03

Can any FPS players out there recommend a good mouse for games like battlefield 4 and titanfall? Im currently looking at the CM Storm Spawn or the Razer Deathadder but I'm open to suggestions. Trying to keep in under $60 and from what I've heard the Storm spawn is great. Thoughts?

kiyomi

Also what should I consider when it comes to towers/cases?

Size, appearance, form factor (ATX, mATX, mITX), cooling and upgrade capabilities, noise, secondary features like dust filters and grommeting, the amount of space it has for GPUs/heatsinks, number of hard drive and optical bays. Number of front panel USB 3.0 ports might be a consideration but most cases have at least 1. Ease of use as well, does the case have tool-less installation, plenty of wiring holes, etc.

emag

A few questions. How different is a 7850 to a gtx660? It seems that the 7850 is practically identical and it's performance can be either way relative to the 660. Also what should I consider when it comes to towers/cases?

The 660 is largely faster, but I wouldn't buy either of those today. The 750 ti is a tad slower, but so much more power efficient. If you want something more powerful, jump up to the 7870/R270X or wait to see what nvidia comes out with in the midrange over the next few months.

As for cases, get whatever looks good and fits your chosen components. Airflow is only really an issue in niche situations.

W Hudson

Where do you all typically get your copies of Windows from? I thought I saw someone recommending getting them off Reddit or something like that for a fraction of the price, but can't remember if that was here?

Water

What Monosukoi said, but different people have very different priorities. The only thing that you absolutely have to consider is that the hardware you want fits in the case. I'm personally concerned with getting a combination of very low noise, pretty good cooling, and good looks (which includes that the case is not too big on the outside). I'm not concerned with ease of building (because I'll build once and then not touch the computer for years) or cost, as long as the case isn't totally ridiculous in either regard.

BTW, a question of my own to the expert dudes. How do you tackle dust after it has already gotten into the case? What about dust accumulated in fans, around fan mounts, etc? High-powered vacuum cleaner seems risky near the fragile stuff. Would it be safe to e.g. vacuum a fan from the outside through the fan grate when it's off? I'm just thinking about convenient maintenance to keep the electronics alive, not spotless promo shot cleanliness.

Pratfall

Cross-posting from 120Hz thread.

Just got my ASUS VG248QE yesterday and here are my early impressions on it.

- The image quality on this thing is way worse than my Dell IPS monitor. This won't surprise anybody but since I have only used IPS panels for a long time the drop in quality was even worse than I anticipated.

- The colors look like poop out of the box. Can anyone help a total noob calibrate a monitor? Is there an easy way just to get the colors looking slightly better?

- 120 Hz with Lightboost really does look amazing. Dota 2 and Half-Life 2 (only two I had installed last night) look so smooth when hitting a consistent 120. Had some weirdness with XCom where I was getting a ton of stuttering and no amount of playing around with their vertical sync and "smoothing settings" was able to aleviate, does anyone else encounter this?

I honestly think 120Hz is a feature I want in a future monitor but not until it comes on a better panel and with Gsync enabled. I doubt I will consistently be pushing 120 fps, so having the insurance of Gsync smoothness even below that point will be essential. I am dismayed by mkenyon's outlook on IPS gsync monitors but I am pretty sure I would pay a fortune for a 27" 1440p (or 24" 1080p) IPS gsync panel.

Just some early impressions.

jyoung188

mkenyon

Banned
Saw this on Asus' page earlier. I want to build something like this someday... I've been building PCs for over 15 years, but have never gone this sleek/high-end.

I'm not a fan of white...but I love how unified and clean this is.

1947840_10152690296287388_804518024_n.jpg

I'm trying to wait one more year for my next PC build, but I'm probably going to use whatever version of this thread is around as I make my journey.

Carry on :)
Let me know, I can help you achieve that :p

/rant /cry
That's not compatibility, that's a dead GPU. You need to RMA it. What makes you think it's not compatible?
Hey PC GAF I need some advice. I want to upgrade to a modular psu and I've narrowed it down to these two:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00918N4A0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EB7UIRS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Seems like everyone prefers SeaSonic power supplies for their build quality but this Corsair has really good reviews also. Anyone have experience with either of these or have any other suggestions for good modular psu's for around $100?
The Seasonic is a better unit, the Corsair is quieter.

Corsair doesn't make the guts of PSU, they use a number of different OEMs, Seasonic even being one of them.

jyoung188

The Seasonic is a better unit, the Corsair is quieter.

Corsair doesn't make the guts of PSU, they use a number of different OEMs, Seasonic even being one of them.

Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards the SeaSonic anyway, I prefer quality over quietness. I don't want to roll the dice on my PSU.

Alright, I'm officially done with my 650D. The fan controller died a while ago, the front USB 3 ports are buggy as hell, and since I'll be moving soon I wish I had build something a bit smaller. I made a mistake. So I want to get a Prodigy M, the only issue is I'll also need a micro-ATX motherboard since my current one is regular ATX.

So I'm looking for a cheap 1155 micro-ATX motherboard that'll allow me to do bin overclocking (my CPU is non-K) and have 4 DIMM slots. Any suggestions? Canadiana here.

Now that I'm writing this out, I think I might have asked this before in one of these threads, not sure.

mkenyon

Banned
Alright, I'm officially done with my 650D. The fan controller died a while ago, the front USB 3 ports are buggy as hell, and since I'll be moving soon I wish I had build something a bit smaller. I made a mistake. So I want to get a Prodigy M, the only issue is I'll also need a micro-ATX motherboard since my current one is regular ATX.

So I'm looking for a cheap 1155 micro-ATX motherboard that'll allow me to do bin overclocking (my CPU is non-K) and have 4 DIMM slots. Any suggestions? Canadiana here.

Now that I'm writing this out, I think I might have asked this before in one of these threads, not sure.
Z77 mATX, anything from Gigabyte, MSI, and ASUS would be fine.

Aucool

I know that probably it's a stupid question, but Nvidia Shadowplay can be used to take screenshots? If so, what combination of keys I should press to take one? I know only how to record a video or stream on twitch.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ok, so I need to get a new nvidia card. I know used R9 280x prices are coming back down but I do ipad development so need to keep my hackintosh.

so, is a GTX 770 still my best ~$300 bet for the foreseeable future? I was wondering if anything consumer-level was going to be shown today and that looks to be a big "nope!!!" I mean will I be happy with it compared to the R9 280x?

mkenyon

Banned
ok, so I need to get a new nvidia card. I know used R9 280x prices are coming back down but I do ipad development so need to keep my hackintosh.

so, is a GTX 770 still my best ~$300 bet for the foreseeable future? I was wondering if anything consumer-level was going to be shown today and that looks to be a big "nope!!!" I mean will I be happy with it compared to the R9 280x?
If you leverage cuda development with the 770, yeah. Otherwise, it's not as good as the 280x, but only by just a tiny margin.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
If you leverage cuda development with the 770, yeah. Otherwise, it's not as good as the 280x, but only by just a tiny margin.

the issue is that by going to a 280x my OS X install is 100% screwed as my CPU is Ivy Bridge. So I wouldn't have a display adapter compatible with OS X (currently using my 5770). I "could" just say "screw OS X" until I get around to upgrading everything else and get a haswell CPU+MB installed, but that probably won't be for a few months. But if I'll be "happy enough" with a 770 compared to a 280x I'll probably just do that.

Thanks!

Firebrand

Hmm. Went into the shop to finalize the order on my rig, and before going in I was gonna get a Hyper Evo 212 CPU cooler to replace the stock one, and a Corsair CS650 PSU, this in a Fractal Define R4 case. However, the guy in store (who did seems honest, I've talked to him a few times before) suggested that if noise levels were important to me I could upgrade the CPU cooler to a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 and the PSU to the semi-passive Corsair RM650.

I don't know, it's not much extra but I'm already above budget. This machine will be running i7 4770 at stock speeds so maybe this stuff is overkill, but I do value silence when doing desktop stuff / idling. Choices.

Either way, gonna be fun with a new machine. I'm gonna play... uh... hmm. The new FTL expansion... maybe?

Rhaxas

So my video card died just as soon as my 1440p monitor arrived today. Now i am looking to purchase a new video card.

The only games i plan to play this year are Diablo 3, LoL, and Dota. I am currently looking at a 760 or 770 to purchase.

I can afford the 770 but I feel like it would better to save the money and just get a 760 as I am planning to purchase a maxwell card later on.

Do these games run well at 1440p on a 760? Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So my video card died just as soon as my 1440p monitor arrived today. Now i am looking to purchase a new video card.

The only games i plan to play this year are Diablo 3, LoL, and Dota. I am currently looking at a 760 or 770 to purchase.

I can afford the 770 but I feel like it would better to save the money and just get a 760 as I am planning to purchase a maxwell card later on.

Do these games run well at 1440p on a 760? Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah, just go for the 760.

mkenyon

Banned
Are the z87 boards the only ones that are worth their salt for i5 4670k? I am thinking of getting this case.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BHARA64/

I saw cases with bronze rated power supplies that are like 600 W, are they worth getting?
Yes, Z87 boards are what you get if you get a 'K' processor.

I really recommend the cases in the OP. I buy more cases than any part, and those that are listed are really the best.

It really depends on the case/PSU combo in question on whether or not they're worth getting. The Silverstone, EVGA, and some CoolerMaster ones are good.

No way of RMA'ing your video card? 3 year warranty is standard.

Diablo 3, LoL, and Dota 2 will all benefit most from a highly overclocked processor. A 760 should do just fine at 1440p. Though, given the fast paced nature of those games, 120Hz is where it's at.
Hmm. Went into the shop to finalize the order on my rig, and before going in I was gonna get a Hyper Evo 212 CPU cooler to replace the stock one, and a Corsair CS650 PSU, this in a Fractal Define R4 case. However, the guy in store (who did seems honest, I've talked to him a few times before) suggested that if noise levels were important to me I could upgrade the CPU cooler to a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 and the PSU to the semi-passive Corsair RM650.

I don't know, it's not much extra but I'm already above budget. This machine will be running i7 4770 at stock speeds so maybe this stuff is overkill, but I do value silence when doing desktop stuff / idling. Choices.

Either way, gonna be fun with a new machine. I'm gonna play... uh... hmm. The new FTL expansion... maybe?
The PSU recommendation is legit, as the one that you've picked I would not ever buy for my own machine. The Noctua one is not.

If you are not going to overclock, you should look at the E3-1230V3 processor. It's an i7 that you can't overclock. You can also reduce the overall price by then going with an H87 or B85 chipset motherboard, as opposed to Z87.

mkenyon

Banned
always wondered, is there performance being sacrificed if you have a 3 monitor setup but only game on 1 monitor vs just a 1 monitor setup?
Nope.
So this randomly happens in games while in some games artifacts never appear. I should be able to RMA this right? I'm using a 4 month old 7870XT that's been perfectly fine up until now.
Try increasing volts a little bit before RMA'ing, but yeah.

Could also try a different cable.

Rhaxas

No way of RMA'ing your video card? 3 year warranty is standard.

Diablo 3, LoL, and Dota 2 will all benefit most from a highly overclocked processor. A 760 should do just fine at 1440p. Though, given the fast paced nature of those games, 120Hz is where it's at.

Unfortunately I bought this card over 3 years ago haha.

I went ahead and ordered the 760. Thanks everyone!

so im probably gonna sell my old 7870xt, but i have no clue where my original box and packaging are.

Whats an alternative way to package these up for shipping safely?

padded envelope + small amazon box with packing peanuts?

mkenyon

Banned
so im probably gonna sell my old 7870xt, but i have no clue where my original box and packaging are.

Whats an alternative way to package these up for shipping safely?

padded envelope + small amazon box with packing peanuts?
You absolutely need to ship it in a anti-static bag. Then just pad it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom