• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocK`

Banned
My lord that build. Fml.

Anyhow, pick 780Ti over the Titan Black. And I think you should also pick a bigger capacity cheaper drive.

image.php

thanks...

Bleepey

At that point he may as well just buy the whole Nvidia.

Is it bannable to say he makes the master race look like gaming peasants? I'll see you with a similar specced PC in another lifetime or something. That's the type of rig that would laugh at whatever Crytek or even Pixar could throw at it!

rocK`

Banned
Titan Black = 780 Ti with 6GB VRAM and great double-precision floating-point ability.

All games use single-precision calculations. 780 Ti is for the games segment and the Titan line is for professionals running simulations, working in CAD or CUDA stuff who also want to play games.
If you don't need FP64 support, then you're wasting your money on a Titan Black. This is doubly true now that EVGA are releasing a 780 Ti with 6GB VRAM.

This is a great answer, thanks for the information.

Just bought an EVGA GTX 780 3gb card last week.

Soon after I received a notification from EVGA that a new 6gb GTX 780 card will be rolling out soon - and that it is eligible for their Step Up program whereby I can upgrade by paying the difference in costs between the card I bought and the new one.

How interested should I be in the 6gb card? Is there value there for 50$? 100$? more?

Thanks.

scogoth

@rocK`

If you are gaming at 4k you will want the 6GB 780Ti or the Titan Black. 3GB isn't going to cut it. You also may want to consider SLI 780Tis/Titans, 4k requires an insane amount of GPU power to run at an reasonable framerate.

6GB 780Ti isn't out yet but will be exactly the same as the Titan Black but cheaper. They just limited the double floating point precision performance which has no effect on gaming.

Just bought an EVGA GTX 780 3gb card last week.

Soon after I received a notification from EVGA that a new 6gb GTX 780 card will be rolling out soon - and that it is eligible for their Step Up program whereby I can upgrade by paying the difference in costs between the card I bought and the new one.

How interested should I be in the 6gb card? Is there value there for 50$? 100$? more?

Thanks.

6GB = 4K, threes screen, 3D, 2560x1600 with max eye candy, horribly optimized texture mods for sky rim.

Smokey

Yep. If he wants 4k he should be looking into SLI. I'm not sure why you are wasting $800 on two monitors either when that could go towards a 4k monitor. Or a second 780ti.

dwells

I last built a PC in 2007 and stopped using it a couple years later since I wasn't doing much gaming. So while once upon a time I knew my stuff and kept current, it's been a while. So let's just say I'm a bit out of the loop.

Anyway, someone at work was selling a Gigabyte mobo, Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition, and Antec 500W PSU for all of $30. Since I knew the PSU alone was worth that, I bought it.

I have a 1GB 4870 lying around I got for free, as well as a case and a handful of HDDs. So all it needs is some DDR3 and it'll be a full rig.

My question is: is it even worth building this thing? Obviously this is all several year old hardware, is it going to be able to run anything at worthwhile performance? I'm not expecting 4K/120 or even 1080p/60 - will 720p/30 mid-high settings on modern titles be feasible? i.e. will it even look any better than Xbox 360 games?

Also, my primary computer is my MacBook Pro (2.7GHz quad i7 3820QM, 1GB GT650M). I installed Windows 7 on it a while back with the intent of gaming on it but got distracted and never followed through. Would I be better off just going that route?

Thanks!

scogoth

I last built a PC in 2007 and stopped using it a couple years later since I wasn't doing much gaming. So while once upon a time I knew my stuff and kept current, it's been a while. So let's just say I'm a bit out of the loop.

Anyway, someone at work was selling a Gigabyte mobo, Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition, and Antec 500W PSU for all of $30. Since I knew the PSU alone was worth that, I bought it.

I have a 1GB 4870 lying around I got for free, as well as a case and a handful of HDDs. So all it needs is some DDR3 and it'll be a full rig.

My question is: is it even worth building this thing? Obviously this is all several year old hardware, is it going to be able to run anything at worthwhile performance? I'm not expecting 4K/120 or even 1080p/60 - will 720p/30 mid-high settings on modern titles be feasible? i.e. will it even look any better than Xbox 360 games?

Also, my primary computer is my MacBook Pro (2.7GHz quad i7 3820QM, 1GB GT650M). I installed Windows 7 on it a while back with the intent of gaming on it but got distracted and never followed through. Would I be better off just going that route?

Thanks!

That rig might be ok for watching movies. Gaming? Not so much. You Macbook won't be great either but a little better.

dwells

That rig might be ok for watching movies. Gaming? Not so much. You Macbook won't be great either but a little better.

Maybe I'll put it together and have my fun with overclocking it (apparently it's damn easy to unlock the other two cores on that Phenom and turn it into a quad, all while hitting 4GHz on air) and then see if I can flip it on Craigslist for $200 or something.

Even with the CPU OC'd and turned into a quad, do you think it would still be a major bottleneck if I tossed, say, an R9 270 in there?

Maybe I'll put it together and have my fun with overclocking it (apparently it's damn easy to unlock the other two cores on that Phenom and turn it into a quad, all while hitting 4GHz on air) and then see if I can flip it on Craigslist for $200 or something.

Anyone who would buy that when they can get an i5-4670k for around the same price is an idiot.

scogoth

Even with the CPU OC'd and turned into a quad, do you think it would still be a major bottleneck if I tossed, say, an R9 270 in there?

Absolutely would bottleneck. The Phenom can get 4 core at 4 Ghz, but 4Ghz on the phenom is nothing like 4Ghz on a modern intel processor. The instructions per clock are way lower on the phenom. A friend of mine at that same processor with 4 cores unlocked and a GTX670 and then moved to a 3650k and saw a 15% in fps.

Flip it if you can for $200 and put that towards a new system.

dwells

Absolutely would bottleneck. The Phenom can get 4 core at 4 Ghz, but 4Ghz on the phenom is nothing like 4Ghz on a modern intel processor. The instructions per clock are way lower on the phenom. A friend of mine at that same processor with 4 cores unlocked and a GTX670 and then moved to a 3650k and saw a 15% in fps.

Flip it if you can for $200 and put that towards a new system.

Got it, thanks for the advice. I haven't really been a PC gamer since the days when the Core 2 Duo was where it was at, haha.

bro1

Banned
I just relocated to Chicago and had to leave my 144hz 1080p monitor at home and the Qnix 120" 1440P monitor I purchased shat the bed after 3 days of use.

However, I am using my new Vizio 40" set as my monitor until the replacement Qnix shows up. Surprisingly, I was able to OC the Vizio to 96hz. No artifiacts and no skipped frames. The weird thing though is that in the Vizio menues, once I OC'd it, the advance picture choices are all gone. When I clock it back down to 60hz, they come back.

cory64

Thanks!

I had almost that exact same setup until about a year/year½ ago (an X3 instead of X2), I had to replace the 4870 with a GTX 660 because it just wasnt keeping up with the non-UE3 games that were coming out (and I think it was dying anyway), then after a few months I replaced everything else because it was bottlenecking the 660. It's only worth building if you know you won't be able to build a full system for 5-6 more months.

Okay, so I think a GTX 780 or R9 290x will fit in my pitiful XPS 8300 case, but I'm now having issues with the PSU. It is so fricking tiny, with no extra space, that I'm having a really tough time finding a 750w that will fit. Am I screwed?

dwells

I had almost that exact same setup until about a year/year½ ago (an X3 instead of X2), I had to replace the 4870 with a GTX 660 because it just wasnt keeping up with the non-UE3 games that were coming out (and I think it was dying anyway), then after a few months I replaced everything else because it was bottlenecking the 660. It's only worth building if you know you won't be able to build a full system for 5-6 more months.

Interesting, thanks. I'm actually not really interested in truly getting back into PC gaming on the grounds that I can't justify the expense - I simply don't have the time to game more than a few hours a week now. I am itching to make a rig solely because I enjoy the whole building/overclocking/maintaining and being on the cutting edge, but I'm trying to tell myself to wait a couple years until DDR4 goes mainstream and I'll have a new technology to play with.

I was thinking about throwing this setup together since I've got a backlog of titles I've been meaning to play. But it seems my MacBook Pro might make more sense.

kennah

Okay, so I think a GTX 780 or R9 290x will fit in my pitiful XPS 8300 case, but I'm now having issues with the PSU. It is so fricking tiny, with no extra space, that I'm having a really tough time finding a 750w that will fit. Am I screwed?

Why do you need a 750W? A good 550 is more than enough for either card.

Or you could wait and get the SFX sized Silverstone 600W that is coming out soon, So Tiny!

cormack12

Gold Member
Hey guys

Just getting ready to go for my order. Kharma45 put together a decent rig for me in the last thread and I'm just wondering if this is still relevant as the price drops mean it's now ready to commit for me - is there a way to eek out more insane value for little outlay here? Just to be clear here's the original use case

Proposed rig: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2twsz

Your Current Specs: Nothing
Budget: £500-600, UK
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Light Gaming (4), Gaming (5), General Usage (2).

Monitor Resolution: I have a Panasonic 42" Plasma TV to plug into @ 1920 x 1080. That resolution is fine for me as a maximum. Possibly looking to downsample using it as well if possible.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Any multi platform games I'd hope to be able to plug into the TV and enjoy on the big screen with PS4 controller (with better performance than consoles). I'd like to be able to run whatever is current at high settings (games like Rome:Total War II, LoL, ACIV, Witcher 3 - not really fussed about FPS as I'm gradually moving more and more away from them).

Is 30FPS acceptable? 60 as a minimum for the above games with high settings.

Looking to reuse any parts? No
When will you build? When it gets delivered next week hopefully :p
Will you be overclocking? If possible

Erebus

Can stuttering during games (mostly based on the Source engine) be indicative of an unstable CPU overclock? I've gone back to replaying Portal 2 and L4D2 lately and I notice some weird stuttering that I'm sure wasn't there when I played these game on my old rig.

Hey guys

Just getting ready to go for my order. Kharma45 put together a decent rig for me in the last thread and I'm just wondering if this is still relevant as the price drops mean it's now ready to commit for me - is there a way to eek out more insane value for little outlay here? Just to be clear here's the original use case

Proposed rig: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2twsz

At stock settings you probably will not be able to run The Witcher 3 max settings @ 60fps,but you would most likely get 60fps in AC4 with no AA.

Kiru

I'm kinda sad that I would miss out on PhysX effects if I really pick up a Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce and not a nVidia card in that price range. Why are those so damn expensive in comparison ? That anandtech benchmark comparison favors the R9 290 everywhere and it would only cost me like 360€...

riflen

I'm kinda sad that I would miss out on PhysX effects if I really pick up a Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce and not a nVidia card in that price range. Why are those so damn expensive in comparison ? That anandtech benchmark comparison favors the R9 290 everywhere and it would only cost me like 360€...

Maybe because people want features like PhysX, Shadowplay and G-sync? Who knows, perhaps nvidia are just spending more on advertising. AMD have to price below nVidia because nVidia holds the greater market share right now.

mkenyon

Banned
That's the way it's been for a long time. NVIDIA gives you features and special tech, AMD gives you raw performance:$.

At this very moment, I keep flipping back and forth between a 780 Classified and R9-290 myself.

NoRéN

That's the way it's been for a long time. NVIDIA gives you features and special tech, AMD gives you raw performance:$.

At this very moment, I keep flipping back and forth between a 780 Classified and R9-290 myself.

do you have a preference between those? pros and cons based on your personal experience?

maneil99

Classified Overclocks like a motherfucker. Most go 1300mhz+

Water

Maybe because people want features like PhysX, Shadowplay and G-sync?
And CUDA, good OpenGL drivers, good reference coolers for those who want a blower, etc.
For me personally these features (especially G-Sync / CUDA / GL) weigh so heavily that AMD doesn't have a chance of selling me a GPU any time in the near future. Nvidia could ask for $200 more at the same performance level and I'd pay; what they are asking now is a steal. Obviously the majority of people do not value the features that highly, and I'm glad they don't, since it means Nvidia can't get away with charging more.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I just want to take a moment to say that its ridiculous how multiplat (developed on PC) games like Destiny and MGSV Phantom Pain aren't releasing on PC. It's 2014, get with the times publishers.

McBryBry

Is Patriot trustworthy for RAM? Or should I go with something else?

Edit: Also for video cards. It seems popular opinion is between Asus and EVGA?

M3z_

Physx ain't worth being bummed about. If you are choosing between a r9 290 and Gtx 770 get the 290 no question. If you are debating 290 or 780 then you can feel good about either.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Okay so I've deinstalled everything Nvidia related and now getting everything back through GeForce Experience. I'll do some testing later today and report back.

Played about one hour without any issues so I guess my problem is solved.

Big thanks to everyone who has helped me!

I kind of doubt what I would buy if I want a new card.

I know AMD would be doing about the microstuttering, but is it really completely removed now? It is something I am extremely bothered by with my current 6950.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom