• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.O.R.D

Open up your Nvidia control panel and check to see that your 660m is selected as the device to run PhysX on.
tJkw7zx.png

its don't look like it at all
this s how it look in my laptop
6PIIyJ8.jpg

i tried month ago to view all the option , but i couldn't

Ellite25

Just installed my 770.

Played a round of Titanfall to test it out and ran everything maxed with a constant 60 fps, v-sync on as well. It was glorious.

I mentioned Chrome + Youtube because those are the only source of BSODs I've had to deal with in ages (well, aside from overclocking I mean). Every time a family member complains, disabling hardware acceleration in Flash Player fixes it.

Ah, you inadvertently helped me! I just started having that issue. Thank you!

Since it would automatically become a 32-bit installer on my system, could someone legally download the .iso for Windows 8.1 on a 64-bit system, host it, and then allow people to download it for use on my upcoming new PC? Or does it not work that way?

EDIT: How much storage space on average does there need to be for an OS-booting USB drive? I think I've got one here at the house but it's only 4GB.

Tabasco

Not sure if I should ask this here, but I'll go ahead and do it anyway.

It's about Firefox.

It crashes constantly when I use it on my PC. Any amount of tabs it will just randomly crash with this pop-up following afterward:

7r2mxlg.jpg

Anything I should try?
Still not answered, might as well get people to see it.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for helping me out on this!

Guide in the OP.

Run memtest, as memory is the likely culprit.

I ran memtest for the past few hours, had to skip a couple test processes since it's getting late, but no errors showed up. I will run a full test tomorrow to make sure though.

Use BSODViewer and post the info it gives you here about the BSOD Dump. That might lead us in some direction.

Will do that tomorrow as well. Do I have to trigger a BSOD while running the executable?

Could also be a faulty PSU (if memtest, etc, shows no error).

Well, I did replace my PSU already (switched from be quiet! 530w to Seasonic G 650) and still have the same problem.

Radeons are starting to hit the used market. If you're buying a GPU now, this will probably depress the value of new GPUs also. At the moment reference 290Xs are going for 430 dollars and 290s are going for 350 dollars.

appaws

Banned
Radeons are starting to hit the used market. If you're buying a GPU now, this will probably depress the value of new GPUs also. At the moment reference 290Xs are going for 430 dollars and 290s are going for 350 dollars.

I hope that this is a sign that prices for New cards are soon to be back to normal.

I wonder if these things are going to be very heavily used because they were 24/7 mining rig parts.

Please no.

I, too, used to have a prebuilt. It had i5 2500 and HD6850.

The thing is that these prebuilts have decent CPUs and GPUs but everything else is terrible (PSU, Motherboard, Case to name a few). They run very hot and upgrading them can be a challenge since the insides are filled with useless things like solid metal cases around HDD bay. Cable management is terrible too and good luck trying to fit in a second GPU if you want to in the future.

With the computer that you build yourself, you can see a HUGE difference in quality. It's really worth the extra money.

Just build it yourself, please. Just do it.

Wifi capable cards aren't that hard or expensive to come by. Do you really need a card reader? if so, buy an external one. Windows can be had for $10 off of Reddit.

EDIT: I mean, just look at the inside. Absolutely Disgusting

desktop-xps-8700-mag-965-features-module-2.jpg

Whew, thanks. That was the slap in the face that I needed. BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD.

I hope that this is a sign that prices for New cards are soon to be back to normal.

I wonder if these things are going to be very heavily used because they were 24/7 mining rig parts.

The price hike seemed to be a combination of short supply as well as increased demand from miners. So AMD's logistics were partly to blame, and they would have straightened the prices out even if miners were still demanding GPUs.

The cards themselves are fine. The fans are what get stressed the most, and go bad quickly from prolonged use. Certain aftermarket designs use horrible fans that go bad extremely quickly if they're kept running for a long time (COUGHmsi). However, if you don't mind lubricating them, they should be fine also. Double for the cards that are still under warranty.

I wouldn't buy a reference design though, they are far too loud.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Probably a dumb question but: Should I install the drivers that came on disc with my new video card, or should I go straight to Nvidia's website and download the latest drivers?

LilJoka

Thanks for helping me out on this!

Will do that tomorrow as well. Do I have to trigger a BSOD while running the executable?

Ignore me, i thought you were receiving a BSOD and then reboot.

If its purely a reboot, its more likely to be a hardware issue, PSU/RAM/Mobo/CPU.
Though a lot of times faulty RAM will cause a BSOD. memtest86+ will quickly find defective ram modules.

For CPU and Mobo its a bit harder to test for. Ive had a CPU that randomly rebooted a PC whilst at work once. Does it happen only whilst gaming?

Tabasco

Need more than that to answer. Open up the details and see what it says. Also check event viewer > application logs to see what it says when firefox crashed.
I'm getting this in event viewer:

Faulting application name: firefox.exe, version: 28.0.0.5186, time stamp: 0x53240e37
Faulting module name: xul.dll, version: 28.0.0.5186, time stamp: 0x53240e04
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x0009ab40
Faulting process id: 0x1750
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf47d980f585f4

Unfortunately I would have to let it crash again to see the details of the crash from the pop-up.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Alright so running memtest properly this time still didn't reveal anything suspicious.

Ignore me, i thought you were receiving a BSOD and then reboot.

For CPU and Mobo its a bit harder to test for. Ive had a CPU that randomly rebooted a PC whilst at work once. Does it happen only whilst gaming?

Yes, only games are affected.

Running BlueScreenView was actually helpful, because somehow I did receive dumps without ever seeing a BSOD. My monitor fades black a few seconds before the reboot, so I guess that's when the blue screen appears.

Anyway, here's what it says:

dmpoyjy6.png

So something is wrong with my Nvidia drivers? Should I just try reinstalling their drivers and see if it works?

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Okay so I've deinstalled everything Nvidia related and now getting everything back through GeForce Experience. I'll do some testing later today and report back.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
asking again.. I am going with the GTX 770. Is the 4GB worth it now (or within the next 2 years) or am I better off saving that ~$40 and just staying with the 2GB version?

Irobot82

asking again.. I am going with the GTX 770. Is the 4GB worth it now (or within the next 2 years) or am I better off saving that ~$40 and just staying with the 2GB version?

It's only $40 more? That's tempting man. You playing at 1080p or 1440p? Or downsampling from 1440p? I'd go with the 4GB.

Akai__

I scrolled through the thread and this post made me curious.

Those look like the Corsair air series fans to me, but where do you get those orange rings? All I see are red,blue and white rings for those fans. Maybe they are red in the picture aswell, but I really can't tell, because it looks orange to me.

riflen

As of right now, 4GB 770 is not worth it unless you are doing these specific things:

-Playing modded Skyrim.
-Downsampling from very high resolutions.

The 770 will run out of juice before filling that extra 2GB VRAM. It's a GPU designed for 1920x1080 and 2560x1440. 4GB on a 770 will not buy the GPU a longer life. All this is my opinion.

Updated my build again - should be 4k ready...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hUxc

Not sure if I should commit to the TITAN BLACK seeing as it might hit a price drop soon.

Why Titan and not a 780Ti?

I wanna get the blessing of you guys before i purchase :D will be playing on my 55" LED in the living room. I have a 1tb external drive that i'm planning on taking apart for the HD.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/39JR6

Get a memory set. If you use 2 sticks they work in dual channel mode = speedup. Make sure you get a set. Don't just buy two different sticks, or even two of the same brand. They must be matched.

is there no considerable gain with the Titan over the 780Ti?

The Titan Black is just a 780Ti with more vram and unlocked compute performance. It caters to professionals looking for a cheap compute card or gamers who want to floss.

Get it if you want to floss. There's no difference between it and the 780Ti for games though.

riflen

is there no considerable gain with the Titan over the 780Ti?

Titan Black = 780 Ti with 6GB VRAM and great double-precision floating-point ability.

All games use single-precision calculations. 780 Ti is for the games segment and the Titan line is for professionals running simulations, working in CAD or CUDA stuff who also want to play games.
If you don't need FP64 support, then you're wasting your money on a Titan Black. This is doubly true now that EVGA are releasing a 780 Ti with 6GB VRAM.

Updated my build again - should be 4k ready...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hUxc

Not sure if I should commit to the TITAN BLACK seeing as it might hit a price drop soon.

My lord that build. Fml.

Anyhow, pick 780Ti over the Titan Black. And I think you should also pick a bigger capacity cheaper drive.

so what are the difference between different branded gpu's with reference coolers besides the warranty plans?

Slightly different clocks because they overclock the cards, but mostly different cooling systems that result in different temperatures and noise amount. Also the connections may differ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom