• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stubo

4670k YOLO MOBO build for Bleepey:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£68.24 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£57.83 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card (£128.71 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Zalman Z5 ATX Mid Tower Case (£31.04 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£20.00 @ Maplin Electronics)
Total: £467.81

NoRéN;106008032 said:
Quick question for those with experience buying cheap keys off reddit:

what do i need to buy there? Make an account and have paypal available?

Honestly, all I did was register for reddit, spent about 20 minutes looking for someone offering a cheap key for cash, and made the transaction through Google Wallet. It was easy as hell.

Reposting my (hopefully) final setup before I start ordering:

Budget: Ideally $1500, $50 additional buffer

Build Excellent - Best Overall
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 $249.99
Motherboard ASUS H87M-PRO $112.99
RAM Crucial 2x8GB (16GB) $142.99
Graphics Gigabyte GTX 760 GDDR5-2GB $259.99
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB $159.99
Storage 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX $59.99
Power Supply CORSAIR RM Series RM750 $129.99
Case Define R4 $99.99
Heatsink 212 EVO $34.99
Sound Card Xonar DGX $34.99

Total: $1285.90

Networking TP-Link Powerline Adapter 500Mbps $39.99
Keyboard Logitech K750 $48.99
Monitor ASUS VS247H-P $169.99
OS Windows 8.1, $20 thanks to r/softwareswap

Grand Total: $1564.87

Stubo

Honestly, all I did was register for reddit, spent about 20 minutes looking for someone offering a cheap key for cash, and made the transaction through Google Wallet. It was easy as hell.

Reposting my (hopefully) final setup before I start ordering:

Build Excellent - Best Overall
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 $249.99
Motherboard ASUS H87M-PRO $112.99
RAM Crucial 2x8GB (16GB) $142.99
Graphics Gigabyte GTX 760 GDDR5-2GB $259.99
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB $149.99
Storage 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX $59.99
Power Supply CORSAIR RM Series RM650 $119.99
Case Define R4 $99.99
Heatsink CM Hyper T4 $29.99
Sound Card Xonar DGX $34.99

Total: $1260.90

Networking TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless $42.99
Keyboard Logitech K750 $48.99
Monitor ASUS VS247H-P $169.99

Grand Total: $1522.87
Is there any specific reason for the T4 over the 212 EVO? If not, spend that $5 extra...spend it super hard!!

Are you guys talking about this?

To clarify on my current wifi situation, we actually have an ASUS router already, but it'll probably get moved out to the dining room where our old computer is going to go. From there, my new computer's going to be installed in the guest bedroom. It should be able to get a signal fine, but it needs an adapter, is all.

I was talking about this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320173

But any PCIE with 3 antenna and up to 450mbps speed should be great. I'd avoid any USB wireless adapter. They're flimsy in my experience. any tiny movement, a bump on the desk will cause it to lose connection and the wireless speeds won't be as good as something that's PCI or PCIE.

Bleepey

Okay, sorry.

You already know that you need a Z87 motherboard to overclock a 4670K, or at least you seem to. :p My issue with you buying the 4670K is that if you buy it at £167, you're only left with £63 to spend on your motherboard, which is not really recommended for a quality overclock. Most boards recommended in this thread for the 4670K are upwards of £80 or better yet £100. The other problem with overclocking in your budget is that you'd need an aftermarket heatsink, which is a minimum of another £25. Hence why I recommended you the combo I did before. I didn't realise your budget was £270 for the lot, so:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£158.00 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£54.37 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.68 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £272.05
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-27 12:32 GMT+0000)

This'll serve you nicely.

I am pretty much going with this, hopefully it's good enough to run a point and click game on GOG.

Is there any specific reason for the T4 over the 212 EVO? If not, spend that $5 extra...spend it super hard!!

I went ahead and switched it to that. Juuuuust ended up being able to fit into my budget.

I was talking about this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320173

But any PCIE with 3 antenna and up to 450mbps speed should be great. I'd avoid any USB wireless adapter. They're flimsy in my experience. any tiny movement, a bump on the desk will cause it to lose connection and the wireless speeds won't be as good as something that's PCI or PCIE.

Thanks for the help! I had to go with a cheaper one due to budgetary constraints, but I think I'll be happy with everything. Wish me luck, guys!

If your house/apartment wiring is up to spec, you could look into some powerline adapters. I prefer them over wireless.

With stock volts and the inability to overclock, the T4 is plenty good.

Those sound interesting, but my main concern is that it would end up being 200 Mbps versus a max of 450. It does seem like a lot simpler option compared to manually installing the wireless cards, though.

mkenyon, when you were making these part recommendations, did you keep the actual size of the components in mind? Nothing I'm buying is going to realistically be too big to fit in the case, right?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone ever have their 360 controller dongle just stop lighting up and working? I unplugged it to open my case, now it won't turn on wherever I plug it into. Do these things just conk out like that? Its pretty new, and its official.

knitoe

Anyone ever have their 360 controller dongle just stop lighting up and working? I unplugged it to open my case, now it won't turn on wherever I plug it into. Do these things just conk out like that? Its pretty new, and its official.

If you google, you will find that the fuse on the dongle blows easily. Happens to mine too. Just open it up, solder the fuse gap and it when work again. Google for instructions.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Those sound interesting, but my main concern is that it would end up being 200 Mbps versus a max of 450. It does seem like a lot simpler option compared to manually installing the wireless cards, though.

What kind of connection do you have where 450mbps or even 200mbps is even feasible?

What kind of connection do you have where 450mbps or even 200mbps is even feasible?

It's not, realistically, but I'm going into the Air Force by the end of the year (currently on a waiting list) so I just wanted the option available depending on what ISPs exist wherever I'm stationed next.

About to make the plunge for all of my hardware on newegg. All these big numbers scare me. :lol

That is all I did. Made an account and used my PayPal (after PMing someone who had what I wanted) and that was that. Super easy.

What method did you use to make a bootable USB and use it to install windows in a new build?

I've seen a few tutorials on Youtube, not sure which to use.

funny enough after many years, i can finally play far cry 3 that i bought at launch. gtx 460 couldn't handle it... for some reason my 7870xt ran it even worse.

god bless 780.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
GAF I need your help.
My PC decides to randomly reboot while playing games. It's happened with several titles already, most recently while playing Castlevania LoS2 and Betrayer. First thing I looked up were the temperatures from CPU and GPU, but those numbers seem fine to me.

Temperatures while running Prime95/FurMark:

tempsnkaoo.png

So I suspected my PSU might be done for, which lead me to replace it for a new one. Unfortunately the problem still exists. Any ideas what might be the cause?

ASRock P67 Pro3
Intel Core i5 2400
GTX 660 TI
Seasonic G-650

Ocho

GAF I need your help.
My PC decides to randomly reboot while playing games. It's happened with several titles already, most recently while playing Castlevania LoS2 and Betrayer. First thing I looked up were the temperatures from CPU and GPU, but those numbers seem fine to me.

Could also be a faulty PSU (if memtest, etc, shows no error).

kiyomi

r/SoftwareSwap guys are getting their PayPal accounts banned, so some Windows keys sellers are no longer accepting PayPal. Just a heads up.

In the meantime, I've got to figure out how best to get myself a 64bit ISO.

r/SoftwareSwap guys are getting their PayPal accounts banned, so some Windows keys sellers are no longer accepting PayPal. Just a heads up.

In the meantime, I've got to figure out how best to get myself a 64bit ISO.

I'm in the same boat, because all of my current computers are 32-bit systems.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone have a good solution for cloud saving games that are too old for Steam Cloud? I used Gamesave Manager a long time ago but I didn't like it that much. I'm looking for automatic saving and really simple interface and restoring. Gamestow's the first link to pop up...

mkenyon

Banned
I'd imagine they're selling their MSDN keys.

Microsoft won't do anything to the end user though, they've stated since late XP days that they will never come after pirates or people who come by keys in spurious ways.

Brofist

Welp my PC is getting periodic BSODs ever since installing a new R9 290. Nothing seems to work, even an OS reinstall didn't help.

So it looks like I'm going to RMA it and just suck it up and drop the extra money for a 780 which I know will give me no problems.

Trying to decide the manufacturer though. I've had good luck with MSI cards, might go with them.

mkenyon

Banned
Welp my PC is getting periodic BSODs ever since installing a new R9 290. Nothing seems to work, even an OS reinstall didn't help.

So it looks like I'm going to RMA it and just suck it up and drop the extra money for a 780 which I know will give me no problems.

Trying to decide the manufacturer though. I've had good luck with MSI cards, might go with them.
Have you done the normal troubleshooting stuff? What kind of PSU are you using? Try sweeping drivers, etc?

Chrome + YouTube?

If the crash happens there, then it's not an AMD problem. Chrome has periodically changed stuff that causes BSODs since forever.

mkenyon

Banned
NoRéN;106037468 said:
If I have a windows 7 disc from a previous os purchase, could I buy a key off reddit and use the disc to install?
As long as the key matches the version.

But, USB is way faster.

scogoth

I'd imagine they're selling their MSDN keys.

Microsoft won't do anything to the end user though, they've stated since late XP days that they will never come after pirates or people who come by keys in spurious ways.

I have a feeling that many of those keys were from Dreamspark (Formerly MSDNAA). Most universities will have that program which gets you 6 keys for Windows (7, 8, 8.1, 32 and 64bit).

Brofist

Have you done the normal troubleshooting stuff? What kind of PSU are you using? Try sweeping drivers, etc?

I'm using a Corsair TX650. I'm pretty certain 650 should be enough for a single card. I'm coming from an OCed GTX 480, which was already the Nvidia version of the R9 290.

I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers by conventional means and in safe mode using DDU. And did a clean 8.1 install as a last resort.

I don't have another access to another desktop to test it in unfortunately though.

Chrome + YouTube?

If the crash happens there, then it's not an AMD problem. Chrome has periodically changed stuff that causes BSODs since forever.

Happens during games too. Both GPU intensive and simple games like Hearthstone.

Cyriades

How can you guarantee a 780 wont be bad? I bought bad GPUs from both teams

Brofist

How can you guarantee a 780 wont be bad? I bought bad GPUs from both teams

Probably an assumption no doubt, but I haven't had a single problem coming from the Nvidia card with about the worst reputation of all of their cards and that's with an aggressive OC on top of it.

L.O.R.D

can anyone help me here ?
after finishing downloading all the episodes
i found this
TldCSK2.jpg

how to turn on the physic x to GPU ?
i have laptop msi ge60
GTX 660m

It could be a dud card. I don't think it's their drivers as I'm using an R9 290 right now, no problem. Had it since launch, actually.

EDIT: I mentioned Chrome + Youtube because those are the only source of BSODs I've had to deal with in ages (well, aside from overclocking I mean). Every time a family member complains, disabling hardware acceleration in Flash Player fixes it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Hi All,

I need some help on deciding what the hell I should buy.

I recently picked up a 1440p monitor and i'm certainly in love with it. It's safe to say that my old 6970, while still going strong, is not going to be up to the task of actually playing most games at that resolution without going to poor man settings.

So i'm trying to decide between the 290's and 780s.

These are the current "general" prices for models in Aus.

780 - Avg - $650ish - Range from $580 - $700 depending on brand.
780 Ti - Avg - $850ish - Range from $769 - $980

R290 - Avg $550
R290X - Avg $750 - Range from 679 - 890, Most in the 750 range.

The rest of my rig is 2500k / 8GB ram.

Brofist

It could be a dud card. I don't think it's their drivers as I'm using an R9 290 right now, no problem. Had it since launch, actually.

EDIT: I mentioned Chrome + Youtube because those are the only source of BSODs I've had to deal with in ages (well, aside from overclocking I mean). Every time a family member complains, disabling hardware acceleration in Flash Player fixes it.

I did see that problem mentioned quite a bit when researching what my issue was.

I've thought that it could just be a faulty card. I may see if I can get it replaced first, give it another chance before switching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom