• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they run at 60fps because you have vsync on?

Most games, outside of the graphics hogs, run at 1080p/120fps pretty easily on an intel i5/i7 with something like a 7970 or 670/760/770 or better.

IPS is better if you want nice colors. G-Sync or any 120Hz TN is better if you want less blur, lower input lag (generally), and a snappier response.

Yeah, I use Vsync, which caps the framerate to 60. Some games, like Skyrim with mods and anything made by Ubisoft in the last few years, tend to go between 40 and 60fps. Got an i7 and 770.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, that setup should push most games to 120 fps no problem. You'll have the odds and ends here that still run around 60 though.

Just turn down a few extra demanding settings and you're golden. The improvement in motion resolution, illusion of motion, and general clarity is well worth it.

Yeah, that setup should push most games to 120 fps no problem. You'll have the odds and ends here that still run around 60 though.

Just turn down a few extra demanding settings and you're golden. The improvement in motion resolution, illusion of motion, and general clarity is well worth it.

Does AA become less important when you have a higher resolution monitor? Because that's generally the main bottleneck with regards to performance. Right now, I've got an old-ass 1366x768 monitor, which is why I really want to upgrade.

mkenyon

Banned
Yes, it does become less important.

Are you using a CRT? If so, you definitely will want to go the G-Sync route. You'll hate the blur/motion resolution on IPS panels.

Ashhong

So I have decided to take it slower and not rush into buying the rest of my PC. I still need a case, PSU and motherboard. Going to wait until I see a nice Seasonic on sale. Saw that I missed like a 550w modular on sale by a couple days which makes me sad.

Also really want the Fractal R4 in white. Does anybody have it? My girlfriend thinks it will look ugly and like a toy. Is it as beautiful in person as I think it is?

And does anybody have recommendations for a cheap Z87 board? I really have no requirements for it. I will be overclocking eventually, but it doesn't need to be a lot. Looking for one in the $100 range or less if possible

Yes, it does become less important.

Are you using a CRT? If so, you definitely will want to go the G-Sync route. You'll hate the blur/motion resolution on IPS panels.

No, it's an LCD.

Yeah, did a bit more research on IPS, I don't think the better colours would be worth the extra blur. And viewing angles don't affect me, as I look straight ahead anyway.

Now it's just a case of actually finding a decent Gsync monitor in the UK. Pretty expensive atm, probably gonna have to wait a while.

BTW, what speakers in the sub £100 price range would you guys recommend? There's a few monitors that don't have built in speakers like my current one, which is a pain in the ass.

NoRéN

So I have decided to take it slower and not rush into buying the rest of my PC. I still need a case, PSU and motherboard. Going to wait until I see a nice Seasonic on sale. Saw that I missed like a 550w modular on sale by a couple days which makes me sad.

Also really want the Fractal R4 in white. Does anybody have it? My girlfriend thinks it will look ugly and like a toy. Is it as beautiful in person as I think it is?

And does anybody have recommendations for a cheap Z87 board? I really have no requirements for it. I will be overclocking eventually, but it doesn't need to be a lot. Looking for one in the $100 range or less if possible

motherboard recommendations in your price range are in the OP.

Recently got the R4 in black for my downstair build and it is very nice. Plenty of room to it was easy to work with and easy to do some cable management. So, it's good when it comes to ease of use. Looks wise, i can't help you there.

If I may also recommend the Rosewill Hive series PSUs. Good people here in the thread recommended those to me and they have been great. They seem to go on sale every once in a while.

mkenyon

Banned

My R4 in white is still one of my most favorite I've done:

nDECzh.jpg

ozmK7h.jpg

xCLVLh.jpg

My current GPU is a Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 (2GB), and I'm looking to upgrade. Should I buy a second HD 6950 and SLI it (and does it have to be a sapphire one, or will any HD 6950 do)? Or should I pick up an R9 280X?

Ashhong

NoRéN;107430161 said:
motherboard recommendations in your price range are in the OP.

Recently got the R4 in black for my downstair build and it is very nice. Plenty of room to it was easy to work with and easy to do some cable management. So, it's good when it comes to ease of use. Looks wise, i can't help you there.

If I may also recommend the Rosewill Hive series PSUs. Good people here in the thread recommended those to me and they have been great. They seem to go on sale every once in a while.

Ah duh, forgot to look there. Those will still allow me to OC decently and all that? Tried to ask my friend for help and he said I had to get certain mobos to be able to OC well, and the lowest price he showed me was like 170$

My R4 in white is still one of my most favorite I've done:

Damn that looks nice. How hard is it to do that special color cabling? Yea, I think I'm going to go with it, just looks so clean. It's going to stand out amongst my black peripherals but that's the point right? I don't like the red LED but I'll change it out. Any idea if I can simply swap it with the LED in my Antec 300?

Hey what are those things covering your motherboard?

mkenyon

Banned
Sell it and get the best single card you can. Only buy a 280x (which is a 7970) if you can find one for under $300. If you can find an R9-290 at around $400, that would probably be the best bang for your buck, in terms of performance gained.

mkenyon

Banned
Ah duh, forgot to look there. Those will still allow me to OC decently and all that? Tried to ask my friend for help and he said I had to get certain mobos to be able to OC well, and the lowest price he showed me was like 170$

Damn that looks nice. How hard is it to do that special color cabling? Yea, I think I'm going to go with it, just looks so clean. It's going to stand out amongst my black peripherals but that's the point right? I don't like the red LED but I'll change it out. Any idea if I can simply swap it with the LED in my Antec 300?
Your friend is definitely wrong about decent OC performance. Any of the Z87 motherboards in the OP will be able to push your processor to its limit.

Not sure on the LED swap. IIRC, it's glued on there in the R4.

The cabling is definitely pretty hard. Corsair sells single braided cables for their modular PSUs for pretty cheap. Those ones were done by Psychosleeve, and it was before single braided cables really caught on. Set me back $550 :p
*edit*

Damn, double post.

NoRéN

Did your friend at least explain why?

Here's how I see it: really helpful people have taken their time to make a list of parts, recommendations for people wanting to enjoy their hobby. I highly doubt they would recommend stuff not up to task.

I've built 2 PCs based off of the recommendations in the OP and so far it's all been great.

Check out the OP and read the notes on the right side. Not only are they recommending parts to you but they explain the basics of what terms mean and why you want or need certain things.

Ashhong

Your friend is definitely wrong about decent OC performance. Any of the Z87 motherboards in the OP will be able to push your processor to its limit.

Not sure on the LED swap. IIRC, it's glued on there in the R4.

The cabling is definitely pretty hard. Corsair sells single braided cables for their modular PSUs for pretty cheap. Those ones were done by Psychosleeve, and it was before single braided cables really caught on. Set me back $550 :p
*edit*

Damn, double post.

Welp, count me out on those cables lol. They look awesome though. What about that motherboard cover you have? Can I only get those if they make it for my specific motherboard or is there like a universal kit? I see ASUS makes a Gryphon one, but it seems like thats only for some Gryphon mobo.

NoRéN;107432054 said:
Did your friend at least explain why?

Here's how I see it: really helpful people have taken their time to make a list of parts, recommendations for people wanting to enjoy their hobby. I highly doubt they would recommend stuff not up to task.

I've built 2 PCs based off of the recommendations in the OP and so far it's all been great.

Check out the OP and read the notes on the right side. Not only are they recommending parts to you but they explain the basics of what terms mean and why you want or need certain things.

He just said that some are better than others. You're right, ill read through the whole OP instead of looking at just the pictures :p

ACE 1991

Sell it and get the best single card you can. Only buy a 280x (which is a 7970) if you can find one for under $300. If you can find an R9-290 at around $400, that would probably be the best bang for your buck, in terms of performance gained.

I'm also looking to upgrade from my 6950, is a 770 the way to go? I want to be able to play games at high settings (but not necessarily maxed) at 40-60 fps for the next two years. I'm rocking an i5 2500K @ 4.0 as well.

mkenyon

Banned
It used to be that the motherboard was hugely important for OC stability. Quality of power phases, memory controller, VRM, all that stuff leads to stable power delivery.

Over the last 10 years, Intel has moved a lot of those functions directly to the die. We're at the point now that you will get an identical OC from an ITX board that you would a $400 enthusiast board, given the same chip.
Welp, count me out on those cables lol. They look awesome though. What about that motherboard cover you have? Can I only get those if they make it for my specific motherboard or is there like a universal kit? I see ASUS makes a Gryphon one, but it seems like thats only for some Gryphon mobo.
Yeah, that motherboard cover only exists for the ASUS Sabertooth, Gryphon, and now the Maximus VI Formula.
I'm also looking to upgrade from my 6950, is a 770 the way to go? I want to be able to play games at high settings (but not necessarily maxed) at 40-60 fps for the next two years. I'm rocking an i5 2500K @ 4.0 as well.
It's not really a *huge* jump from the 6950 to the 770, but yeah. 280x @ $290, 770, and 290 @ $400 would be what you want to look at. I only put stipulations on the prices of the 280x and 290 due to the mining craze that heavily inflated their prices. They're still stabilizing at this point.

ACE 1991

It used to be that the motherboard was hugely important for OC stability. Quality of power phases, memory controller, VRM, all that stuff leads to stable power delivery.

Over the last 10 years, Intel has moved a lot of those functions directly to the die. We're at the point now that you will get an identical OC from an ITX board that you would a $400 enthusiast board, given the same chip.

Yeah, that motherboard cover only exists for the ASUS Sabertooth, Gryphon, and now the Maximus VI Formula.

It's not really a *huge* jump from the 6950 to the 770, but yeah. 280x @ $290, 770, and 290 @ $400 would be what you want to look at. I only put stipulations on the prices of the 280x and 290 due to the mining craze that heavily inflated their prices. They're still stabilizing at this point.

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I may end up waiting until Q4 of 2014 until some games come out that really push my hardware. Maybe at this point I could snag a 780 Ti (used or open box) for $450-500?

mkenyon

Banned
See Terms.Restrictions Apply.Credit card required for activation and rebate. Cancel at any time.

You have to take out a credit card to get that deal.
Okay, thanks for the heads up. I may end up waiting until Q4 of 2014 until some games come out that really push my hardware. Maybe at this point I could snag a 780 Ti (used or open box) for $450-500?
They're going for around $550-600 at the moment for used.

NoRéN

So I think I want this ASUS motherboard, but can someone take a look here please. The pricing seems funky.

Here is the ASUS Z87-A for $140

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8139496&CatId=8586

Here it is with a software+rebate for a total of only $108

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8699522&CatId=8586

Seems like a good deal right? Decent motherboard?
you have to activate the software and use a credit card to get the rebate.

Ashhong

You have to take out a credit card to get that deal.

They're going for around $550-600 at the moment for used.

Seems you just need a credit card to activate the Internet Security, which has to be done before getting the rebate. I think..

NoRéN;107437724 said:
you have to activate the software and use a credit card to get the rebate.

It's not going to charge me to activate it will it? Wouldn't the software come with like 1 year activation?

Ashhong

Yea the first year is included and they charge after that. hmmmm

TigerDirect is pretty iffy. Their customer service is absolutely horrid. I wouldn't bite on something like that from them.

Aw...they are the only big company to not charge tax in California :/ Is it a good motherboard otherwise though?

Now I need to find another HDTV. I built a couch gaming pc and my current hdtv is maxed at 60hz. I feel like my GTX 780 is going to waste smh. Damn!

I'm getting a 780ti and I only have a 1080p/60 monitor and TV. It's complete overkill but isn't it great when you can hit all the sliders to the right without thinking about it? Also, downsample. You have the headroom now.

TheFatOne

So GAF I have tons of ps2,gamecube,N64, SNES,SEGA,wii, and gamecube games. I want to build a pc just for emulation. What is a reasonable amount to spend in order to build a pc for emulation up to Wii? I'm not sure what I should spend for a PC like that. I'm trying to keep the price down.

Edit:I'm an idiot and figured it out for the most part.

I'm getting a 780ti and I only have a 1080p/60 monitor and TV. It's complete overkill but isn't it great when you can hit all the sliders to the right without thinking about it? Also, downsample. You have the headroom now.

Oh yeah... I definitely agree with you. I'm ok for now. Soon though I'm going to want some higher resolution/higher refresh rate action to push my 780.

I've heard the Seiki TV I mentioned can do 2560x1440 @ 60hz and 1920x1080 @120hz

So I'm over here just licking my chops lol

Ashhong

Soooo I'm gonna take my chances and get that ASUS bundle. The price is too good :x

Now I just need to get a case and PSU...

edit: Unless... is MSI Z87-G43 is better than the ASUS Z87-A at the same price?

Question for the PC thread, and it's been several years since I've touched my PC, really.

Okay, so I have an i5 2500K and that's still a solid rock, even non-overclocked for all my purposes, right? I can deal with that. My problem: I got in on the ground floor on this CPU and was part of those who had the faulty motherboards, which has always been at the back of my mind. Basically, all of my USB 2 ports could degrade and try to take half my attached devices with them when they go. I don't thiiiink it's happened so far, but I've also kept to just plugging in everything to my USB 3 slots.

I'm thinking about upgrading my motherboard to eliminate this fear, but I'm not sure whether this is just a waste of my time. I'd love to hear any opinions on this.

The other thing I would like some advice on is GPU. I have a Radeon 5850 in there. It's been able to handle most anything like a champ, but I kind of want to dip my toe in Titanfall and especially want to be able to play and stream Dark Souls 2 at the end of the month. Should I be upgrading my GPU? Another factor to this is I would also really like to jump ship to nVidia. I'm so done with AMD driver fiascos and other nonsense.

What are good GPU matches to my 2500K? I don't really want to over-buy on the GPU and have the rest of my machine waste its capabilities.

Also, where are we on CPU developments and releases from Intel? Are we on current-release tic or toc?

Question for the PC thread, and it's been several years since I've touched my PC, really.

Okay, so I have an i5 2500K and that's still a solid rock, even non-overclocked for all my purposes, right? I can deal with that. My problem: I got in on the ground floor on this CPU and was part of those who had the faulty motherboards, which has always been at the back of my mind. Basically, all of my USB 2 ports could degrade and try to take half my attached devices with them when they go. I don't thiiiink it's happened so far, but I've also kept to just plugging in everything to my USB 3 slots.

I'm thinking about upgrading my motherboard to eliminate this fear, but I'm not sure whether this is just a waste of my time. I'd love to hear any opinions on this.

The other thing I would like some advice on is GPU. I have a Radeon 5850 in there. It's been able to handle most anything like a champ, but I kind of want to dip my toe in Titanfall and especially want to be able to play and stream Dark Souls 2 at the end of the month. Should I be upgrading my GPU? Another factor to this is I would also really like to jump ship to nVidia. I'm so done with AMD driver fiascos and other nonsense.

What are good GPU matches to my 2500K? I don't really want to over-buy on the GPU and have the rest of my machine waste its capabilities.

Also, where are we on CPU developments and releases from Intel? Are we on current-release tic or toc?

Really depends on what settings/resolution you want to game at. I have an i5 2500k, however it is OC'd to 5GHz, and paired with a 760 GTX it games everything I want on max settings at 1080p with a reasonable frame rate. However you will still run into a ridiculously demanding game or two, Metro Last Light for example. However I turn down AA or another setting or two and it is completely smooth.

mkenyon

Banned
Soooo I'm gonna take my chances and get that ASUS bundle. The price is too good :x

Now I just need to get a case and PSU...

edit: Unless... is MSI Z87-G43 is better than the ASUS Z87-A at the same price?
Nope.

Overclock your 2500K. It's within spitting distance, in general gaming performance, to the 4670K. Especially if you can get a nice 4.5-4.7 GHz overclock on it, then you're right on par with a 4670K that will likely be maxed out around 4.2 GHz.

I was under the impression the P67 bug was with SATA ports, not USB ports? In either case, you should have a pretty easy time finding a good Z68/Z77 motherboard at a solid price. I had my Z77X-UP7 for sale on GAF for $200, and still no one wanted it.

You don't have to worry about getting a GPU that is too much for your system to handle, outside of something like the R9-295. GTX 780 and 780 Ti won't be held back at all. Since you want to stream, I'd definitely suggest going NVIDIA for Shadowplay.

mkenyon

Banned
Nanoxia is pretty new to the US, one of the few case makers I haven't been able to use myself. I hear lots of good things otherwise though. Not as much as I hear about the R4, but that just might be due to the fact that it became popular first, and just perpetuates.

You should rather be looking for best cooled not smallest in this case ;)

I would agree with cooling being a priority. If you are going to go with a small case and two graphics cards, make sure that you get blower design coolers.

You don't want all that heat to just be displaced into a case that small. You will have lower temps for all of your components that way.

mkenyon

Banned
Those reference GPUs with a fan blowing fresh air right at the intake actually perform pretty damn well. The amount of heat from a modern CPU is pretty low, in terms of what is put into the case. The SG10 performs remarkably well, especially considering the size. It's not going to be as cool/quiet as something like a Define R4 with better fans or a Corsair Air 540 sporting non-reference cards, but it'll be on par with a lot of other cases.

Indignate

Alright, here's my final build. Bought everything last night. Ultimately decided that I would overclock in the future since I was able to nab that 4670K on sale. Taxes almost killed this for me. Privilege of living in California, I guess.

Didn't actually buy the cooler yet. Thought I'd shop around a bit more since I'm not OCing any time soon.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3o54I
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3o54I/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3o54I/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($141.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($339.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1117.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-08 16:52 EDT-0400)

scogoth

I'm trying to look for a custom psu cables. Where's the best place to buy one? Thanks

I have exams and papers due till the end of April but as soon as May hits I can make you a set for at cost.

EDIT: Or I can possible due it last week April and local pickup if you are in socal

mkenyon

Banned
I have exams and papers due till the end of April but as soon as May hits I can make you a set for at cost.

EDIT: Or I can possible due it last week April and local pickup if you are in socal
Are you not melting? Isn't the boiling point for Canadians like 5 degrees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom