• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I feel so lost right now. I got my replacement motherboard. Out of the box, I tested just PSU, mobo and CPU. Works. Groovy. Set everything up, got everything nice and neat and it boots up! I'm once again. Trying to change the boot device to the USB stick, about to save and exit and it turns itself off. Nothing since. Not even a hint of powering up.

I don't know what's wrong.

BIGWORM

I'm looking to see if I should jump to a CM 212 HSF over my Corsair H70. I currently have only one 120mm on it setup as a pull intake through exhaust, and dual 120mm for blowhole exhaust. Running my 4670k @ 4.2: ~33 idle, ~76 load on LinX, 20 passes. Is there a better configuration I can utilize with the H70, or maybe look at the CM 212 as an air-cooling solution?

I feel so lost right now. I got my replacement motherboard. Out of the box, I tested just PSU, mobo and CPU. Works. Groovy. Set everything up, got everything nice and neat and it boots up! I'm once again. Trying to change the boot device to the USB stick, about to save and exit and it turns itself off. Nothing since. Not even a hint of powering up.

May be a brutally dumb question, but did you install all of your standoffs? CPU power? Silicone smell?

DoomGyver

Dumb question: Do i need to use all of the motherboard standoffs? My corsair case had them pre-installed and had one standoff that is a centering standoff (no threads). Should I have replaced that standoff with a threaded standoff? It's a budget build (no GPU) so I'm not worried about weight, just flex.

NoRéN

Dumb question: Do i need to use all of the motherboard standoffs? My corsair case had them pre-installed and had one standoff that is a centering standoff (no threads). Should I have replaced that standoff with a threaded standoff? It's a budget build (no GPU) so I'm not worried about weight, just flex.

Corsair 200r case?

kennah

I'm looking at ebay to look for 6pin to 8pin PCI-E power adapter and one item description says "Supports nVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB/670 2GB/590/580/570/480/460(2Win 2GB)/295/280, 9800 GX2". Is there such thing exist? Or it will work perfectly fine? Thinking of using it for GTX 780.

What card are you getting? Your power supply comes with one 8pin permanently attached and should have had a RED 6 pin in the box with it. A 780 only needs one 8 pin plus one 6 pin - you should already have everything you need...

DoomGyver

NoRéN;107319218 said:
Corsair 200r case?

300r, a little big for what I needed but its a nice case. Like I said it has a post on the center most mount and it lined up fine so I just left it, I didn't think much of it until today.

Ashhong

I still can't pick between the Corsair CX600M and the Antec BP550 Plus.

I have read some reports on DOA for the Corsair so that worries me, but then that's what warranties are for. It's also Bronze, more watts than the Antec, and like $20 cheaper after rebate than the Antec.

Can someone convince me one way or the other? Or is there another alternative moludar PSU for around 50$?

Lexxism

What card are you getting? Your power supply comes with one 8pin permanently attached and should have had a RED 6 pin in the box with it. A 780 only needs one 8 pin plus one 6 pin - you should already have everything you need...

I'm thinking of getting EVGA 780 Dual Classified. It's currently $570($550 with MIR) here and same price with the US. That's 500 USD if you convert it. Which is much cheaper with EVGA SC which is currently at $590 before MIR.

Oxn

I still can't pick between the Corsair CX600M and the Antec BP550 Plus.

I have read some reports on DOA for the Corsair so that worries me, but then that's what warranties are for. It's also Bronze, more watts than the Antec, and like $20 cheaper after rebate than the Antec.

Can someone convince me one way or the other? Or is there another alternative moludar PSU for around 50$?

All I can say is that I have a BP550 for 3 years now, and its still running great.

Oxn

Just ebayed a used GTX 780 for $420.

Hope i got a good deal and it comes in perfect working condition like advertised.

kennah

I'm thinking of getting EVGA 780 Dual Classified. It's currently $570($550 with MIR) here and same price with the US. That's 500 USD if you convert it. Which is much cheaper with EVGA SC which is currently at $590 before MIR.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-3788-KR

Shows you the adaptors it comes with. Card needs some serious juice... I'm always personally leery about using power adaptors and prefer to have just the straight outputs from the psu itself.

Lexxism

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-3788-KR

Shows you the adaptors it comes with. Card needs some serious juice... I'm always personally leery about using power adaptors and prefer to have just the straight outputs from the psu itself.

Yeah, it comes with adapters. But If I'm correct, I need to use to 2 6-pin PCIE for that adapter to work?

I do prefer to use straight output but I only have 1 8-pin PCIE on my PSU. So, yeah, no luck for me.

T-Matt

So I had this plan of building a SFF pc and looking for the best deals...but then I impulse bought an alienware x51 today. I figured I built the previous one so I could go with prebuilt this time around.
Specs are:
i7-4770
amd 270x
256 ssd
1tb HD
8gb ram
Cost was 825$ I might have been able to do a little better by building but I thought the value was good. Plus I can probably sell my current pc for about 250$.

kennah

Depends on your definition of problems. It isn't going to suddenly stop working if games take advantage of more than 2gigs of ram. What kind of monitor do you have? What cpu do you have? What kind of performance expectations do you have? For how many years? You aren't giving us enough information to be Able to properly answer your question.

Indignate

Hm, just realized that I have the VX at home and not the CX, that's the cheaper version right? It's just so cheap. Any other suggestions in the 550-600w modular PSU?

My 2¢, I don't believe you need that much power looking at the build you posted earlier. If there's one thing I learned from researching PC components these past couple of months, is that most people overestimate on the power supply.

You're probably better off going a little lower in wattage (450-550) and getting a Gold certified PSU, unless you're looking to expand later and want to compensate for that now.

I am in no means an expert however, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt.

I'd like to get a solid KB/Mouse but I don't want to break the bank. I need something that's better than the stuff you can buy at Walmart, but I'm not looking to spend 200 dollars on them both.

Any suggestions on something that's good quality but won't cost me a mint?

axb2013

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not again man, not again.

Like bigworm asked, did you install all of your standoffs? CPU power? Silicone smell? Is there something below the mobo shorting it out?

Did it fail at exactly the same point as last time?

Rather than asking you a million stupid questions, post your parts list maybe GAF has some insight. Ask away if you need assistance. I hope you get it sorted out.

McBryBry

Here's some of what I've got so far. My big question is, how will this fair with Skyrim? While I do have the goal of putting as many games as I can at 1080p/60fps on max settings, my number 1 goal is modding Skyrim to its highest levels. Any advice?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Intel 335 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (White) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

ACE 1991

Depends on your definition of problems. It isn't going to suddenly stop working if games take advantage of more than 2gigs of ram. What kind of monitor do you have? What cpu do you have? What kind of performance expectations do you have? For how many years? You aren't giving us enough information to be Able to properly answer your question.

I have a standard 1080p monitor and I would like to run games for at least 2 years at high (I don't need absolute max). I'm also running an i5 2500K @ 4.0ghz. Sorry for the lack fo detail!

Leibniz

So my motherboard just broke (or that's what I think at least). I'm getting it looked at tomorrow but I don't have much hopes since it's out of warranty.

My PC is as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k @4.4GHz (With 212+)
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro
Memory: I don't remember, but 2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz for sure.
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB + Caviar Black 1TB.
Video Card: MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II
Power Supply: XFX 650W XXX Edition.

I was thinking that probably I could sell my i5 2500k and put some money on it to move onto a more updated platform with an i5 4670k and some nice motherboard.

But is it worth it? I mean will I see a vast improvement? Or should I stick with this one more year and wait what really happens with 'next-gen' gaming.

So far I am able to run almost every game at a really high quality with 60fps or near @1080p (even 1440p sometimes applying downsampling). So I have no complains so far. But since the MB broke it is kinda of an "opportunity" to migrate.

Should I stick with it and save myself some money?

sgjackson

So my motherboard just broke (or that's what I think at least). I'm getting it looked at tomorrow but I don't have much hopes since it's out of warranty.

My PC is as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k @4.4GHz (With 212+)
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro
Memory: I don't remember, but 2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz for sure.
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB + Caviar Black 1TB.
Video Card: MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II
Power Supply: XFX 650W XXX Edition.

I was thinking that probably I could sell my i5 2500k and put some money on it to move onto a more updated platform with an i5 4670k and some nice motherboard.

But is it worth it? I mean will I see a vast improvement? Or should I stick with this one more year and wait what really happens with 'next-gen' gaming.

So far I am able to run almost every game at a really high quality with 60fps or near @1080p (even 1440p sometimes applying downsampling). So I have no complains so far. But since the MB broke it is kinda of an "opportunity" to migrate.

Should I stick with it and save myself some money?

How did your motherboard break? Is your PC usable in its current state?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not again man, not again.

Like bigworm asked, did you install all of your standoffs? CPU power? Silicone smell? Is there something below the mobo shorting it out?

Did it fail at exactly the same point as last time?

Rather than asking you a million stupid questions, post your parts list maybe GAF has some insight. Ask away if you need assistance. I hope you get it sorted out.

Same point as last time. Got to bios, lasted longer this time, then bloop. All standoffs installed, no weird smells, nothing else I could notice.

I took it too my friend's computer shop. See if another pair of eyes can figure out what I'm missing. If I fucked up, I fucked up. Can always return this mobo, buy a good atx mobo for his shop and have him handle everything. I guess I'm not as good at putting stuff together as I thought. Lol =(

Just bought ESO too.

Megasoum

Banned
So how are AMD CPUs nowadays? I haven't used one in at least a decade.

Looking at the suggested builds in the OT I would guess not so good?

I'm looking into upgrading my Core i5-2400 with all the next gen games coming also to PC in the next couple of months/years but the price difference is so huge between AMD and Intel... I could almost get an AMD CPU+Motherboard+16gb of ram for the price of the Intel CPU+Motherboard.

NoRéN

I'm looking into upgrading my Core i5-2400 with all the next gen games coming also to PC in the next couple of months/years but the price difference is so huge between AMD and Intel... I could almost get an AMD CPU+Motherboard+16gb of ram for the price of the Intel CPU+Motherboard.

mkenyon's Argument for Avoiding FX Series Processors (for gaming machines):

If you're in America, you can get really good deals on Intel CPUs+mobos at Microcenter.

Lizardus

Looking to add fans to my Corsair 400R case. I already have two intake fans in the front and one exhaust in the back that came with the case. The case has two more slots on top, two on side, one on bottom and two besides the HDD cages. I am thinking of putting two intakes in the sides and two exhaust in the top so I'll have 4 intakes and 3 exhausts. Any recommendation for 140 mm fans? I'll also be getting filters.

axb2013

Same point as last time. Got to bios, lasted longer this time, then bloop. All standoffs installed, no weird smells, nothing else I could notice.

I took it too my friend's computer shop. See if another pair of eyes can figure out what I'm missing. If I fucked up, I fucked up. Can always return this mobo, buy a good atx mobo for his shop and have him handle everything. I guess I'm not as good at putting stuff together as I thought. Lol =(

Just bought ESO too.
Let us know how it goes. It got me curious, I hope you find the culprit. Better luck next time.

Teddified

I've got a query - Basically I'll probably get a new i5 or i7 processor next month and am curious about what Video Card would work best for me.

Right now I'm using a geforce 650 1gb, and I use it for 2 monitors though I only game on one at 1080p. I've been looking into getting a 760 or 770 and I would like to have 60 fps. Just looking for tips on what Card to buy because I don't want to spend extra money if it's not going to help me much.

kennah

Looking to add fans to my Corsair 400R case. I already have two intake fans in the front and one exhaust in the back that came with the case. The case has two more slots on top, two on side, one on bottom and two besides the HDD cages. I am thinking of putting two intakes in the sides and two exhaust in the top so I'll have 4 intakes and 3 exhausts. Any recommendation for 140 mm fans? I'll also be getting filters.
Is your computer currently running too hot?

laoni

10155466_10153950355825234_6475042826582154235_n.jpg

First parcel arrived! Case & graphics card to arrive tomorrow.

The packaging for the HDD is as big as my head ._.

scogoth

The loudest thing in my rig is the flow meter. Sounds like a hard drive constantly reading random data. Whats the quietest flow meter?

axb2013

They are pricey and some think they are ugly but Noctua fans are the best IMO. Never failed me, never had any issues with them. Their "round" 140mm fans fit 120mm mounts.
I would buy them even used because they are durable. If there is an equivalent of server disk MTBF for fans, Noctua meets it. To reduce dust build up try to setup the fans for positive pressure in the case. If the cost and looks of Noctua is too much, there are other options but I can't think of one I could recommend.

Lizardus

They are pricey and some think they are ugly but Noctua fans are the best IMO. Never failed me, never had any issues with them. Their "round" 140mm fans fit 120mm mounts.
I would buy them even used because they are durable. If there is an equivalent of server disk MTBF for fans, Noctua meets it. To reduce dust build up try to setup the fans for positive pressure in the case. If the cost and looks of Noctua is too much, there are other options but I can't think of one I could recommend.

Thanks, these are fine.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Honestly with the way the i5 2500k is holding up, you are probably better off just waiting for Broadwell or if that's too long Devil's Canyon for OC reasons. Any CPU you upgrade won't give you that substantial of a boost in performance, and they will be quickly leap frogged once Intel starts releasing cheap (Intel cheap mind you) consumer 6/8 core processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom