• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanzou

Built my first pc today. Took me practically all day, but I got it done. Thanks again to those who answered some of my questions.

Now what is the best thing to do with the old hard drive on the old pc? Smash it to pieces?

Its Funny, when I built my first PC It took me all day like it did yourself. Now that I have built so many I can have everything built and Windows installing in probably 90 minutes.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm more of a palm grip guy. I like my hand to feel rested and not get fatigued and unfortunately the claw grip gets too uncomfortable after a while

Looks decent but doesn't look too comfortable. Guess I'm gonna have to hit some stores and just test them for myself until I find one that suits me.

Thanks guys!
It's more comfortable than most mice I've used and can be used in all 3 grips imo.
I went MX Revolution -> G9 -> tried MX518/G500 -> Spawn

It's more comfortable than most mice I've used and can be used in all 3 grips imo.
I went MX Revolution -> G9 -> tried MX518/G500 -> Spawn

Interesting, I went from MX revo to > Spawn > G9X. The thing that I liked about the G9X is tweaking the DPI. i set it to 800, 1200, 1400 or something like that. The spawns hard sets were too fast for my liking. But it was a solid mouse!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Interesting, I went from MX revo to > Spawn > G9X. The thing that I liked about the G9X is tweaking the DPI. i set it to 800, 1200, 1400 or something like that. The spawns hard sets were too fast for my liking. But it was a solid mouse!
Very fair. The reason I switched is because the G9 was cramping my hand after a few months. I did like that mouse though.

My SteelSeries RAW mouse is having weird problems. I turned my computer on and the mouse was working fine, then when the SteelSeries Engine started the mouse stopped dead. I tried restarting, shutting down and waiting, closing SteelSeries Engine, plugging into different USB ports... Nothing helps. The LED on it is meant to smoothly fade on and off but now it's more erratic:

http://a.pomf.se/sjtyyo.webm

It either does that or the light is completely dead. The last time it did this was back when I had a Wacom tablet driver installed and that seemed to be causing a weird conflict; removing the tablet driver fixed the mouse but now it's just started happening again randomly.

Can anyone help? I don't want to have get another new mouse... I had an expensive Logitech one break on me after a year and now this one might be dying, yet another mouse with only a year or so of use on it. Maybe I just have bad luck with mice.

llClickll

Banned
Need help picking a mouse. I've never owned a gaming mouse so idk what it would feel like compared to standard one. Been reading about the Deathadder 2013 and the Steelseries Rival but they just look to big for my hands. I tried finding them unboxed at Microcenter so I could compare and see if those sizes are comfortable for me but sadly they didn't have any on display.

I'm going crazy here guys, please guide me

Get this mouse:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826436016

You won't be disappointed, especially @ $50 with the $40 off code.

jkanownik

I want a cost-effective upgrade to enjoy Star Citizen at higher resolutions. I'm looking at something like this:

1440P display + GTX 770

Should I hold off for awhile? Is there something coming up that will be a better value than these? Any reason to consider a 1080P G-Sync over 1440P?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My SteelSeries RAW mouse is having weird problems. I turned my computer on and the mouse was working fine, then when the SteelSeries Engine started the mouse stopped dead. I tried restarting, shutting down and waiting, closing SteelSeries Engine, plugging into different USB ports... Nothing helps. The LED on it is meant to smoothly fade on and off but now it's more erratic:

http://a.pomf.se/sjtyyo.webm

It either does that or the light is completely dead. The last time it did this was back when I had a Wacom tablet driver installed and that seemed to be causing a weird conflict; removing the tablet driver fixed the mouse but now it's just started happening again randomly.

Can anyone help? I don't want to have get another new mouse... I had an expensive Logitech one break on me after a year and now this one might be dying, yet another mouse with only a year or so of use on it. Maybe I just have bad luck with mice.
Try another USB port, preferably 2.0, otherwise RMA
I want a cost-effective upgrade to enjoy Star Citizen at higher resolutions. I'm looking at something like this:

1440P display + GTX 770

Should I hold off for awhile? Is there something coming up that will be a better value than these? Any reason to consider a 1080P G-Sync over 1440P?
Wait for nVidia's new stuff since it'll come out before Star Citizen is a real game. Also better value for 1440p since it should have 3GB instead of 2GB at the mid range (I really hope they do anyway).

So having my first experiences with my new PC on my 55inch TV from about 10 feet away. First game i'm trying is TESO...luckily it allows you to adjust the size of everything so text is readable. Pretty much anything windows related i can't read. How big of an issue has this been for you guys?

jkanownik

Try another USB port, preferably 2.0, otherwise RMA

Wait for nVidia's new stuff since it'll come out before Star Citizen is a real game. Also better value for 1440p since it should have 3GB instead of 2GB at the mid range (I really hope they do anyway).

I have alpha access, so dogfights should be available soon. I looked and couldn't find any info on the 3GB mid range card you're referring to. Have any more info on it?

sirap

If i wanted to go balls out on a processor/mobo, what should I buy? A couple of folks here mentioned my i7 920 is bottlenecking my twin titans. The mobo should suppory three gpu's comfortably, as I'm planning on adding a Titan Z soon.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
I'm sure your GTX 760 would be better off handling the physx alone than pairing it with the 8500GT. I would just keep it as a backup card (to use temporarily if your current card dies or has issues). You never know when it might come in handy.

so ive always wondered am i better off running Physics via the GPU (Titan) or CPU (i7 4770)?

So having my first experiences with my new PC on my 55inch TV from about 10 feet away. First game i'm trying is TESO...luckily it allows you to adjust the size of everything so text is readable. Pretty much anything windows related i can't read. How big of an issue has this been for you guys?

I use Steam Big Picture whenever possible to launch games from the couch.

Some games are in desperate need of a "TV Mode" though, for sure, like strategy games.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So is it worth "waiting" for the Haswell refresh and Series 9? I know we are talking less than a month at this point, but I kinda want my new rig NOW! If I would be a moron for not waiting I'll wait, but if the benefit is something I'll never use or something I'm not likely to use for years (when I'd probably just upgrade) then I don't really see the point in waiting a month for the chips AND an ITX board that will work flawlessly as a hackintosh. Right now I'm looking at a 4670K and Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI although replacing the included intel miniPCIe wifi with a Broadcom one.

Best I can see is the refresh will give us like 100Mhz bumps and maybe better power savings. Series 9 is basically what? M2.storage or whatever?

Water

So is it worth "waiting" for the Haswell refresh and Series 9? I know we are talking less than a month at this point, but I kinda want my new rig NOW! If I would be a moron for not waiting I'll wait, but if the benefit is something I'll never use or something I'm not likely to use for years (when I'd probably just upgrade) then I don't really see the point in waiting a month for the chips AND an ITX board that will work flawlessly as a hackintosh. Right now I'm looking at a 4670K and Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI although replacing the included intel miniPCIe wifi with a Broadcom one.

Best I can see is the refresh will give us like 100Mhz bumps and maybe better power savings. Series 9 is basically what? M2.storage or whatever?
The supposedly better overclocking potential on the new K chip aka Devil's Canyon. I'm guessing the very best case is it'll give about 15% extra speed on top of current Haswells for someone willing to OC to the limit. Building immediately isn't going to be a bad choice no matter what, but I'm personally happy to get even that possibility of extra 15%. I'm also hoping to see new GPUs and the FT05 case, but will probably have to compromise on something in order to build in May-June.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Case I am very excited at getting the Fractal Node 304 so that probably won't change. I did just see the new raven case which is even smaller with support for my gtx 770 but only can get a 450w PSU for that form factor. Is that large enough for my 770? Beyond that yeah only looking at case CPU and MB. Hmmm... Will have to keep mulling it over.

If i wanted to go balls out on a processor/mobo, what should I buy? A couple of folks here mentioned my i7 920 is bottlenecking my twin titans. The mobo should suppory three gpu's comfortably, as I'm planning on adding a Titan Z soon.

Good lord.

And you can't add a Titan Z to your normal titans, but yeah, you are definitely bottlenecked. I don't know too much about the market above 4770K though.

so ive always wondered am i better off running Physics via the GPU (Titan) or CPU (i7 4770)?

GPU, but I don't think you have the choice.

kharma45

Good lord.

And you can't add a Titan Z to your normal titans, but yeah, you are definitely bottlenecked. I don't know too much about the market above 4770K though.

On the CPU front if you want to go balls deep I'd wait for Haswell-E. Until then I'd just look to OC your 920 to around 4GHz if you haven't already. Should help a lot.

M3z_

Bought an ASUS VG248QE last week for a mITX rig I am making and keep getting bummed about the stupid matte film they put on it so I finally decided to try the AG coating removal mod and everything went successfully! Now that awful barbaric color murdering film can rot in the garbage.

sirap

Good lord.

GPU, but I don't think you have the choice.

The Z will be used purely for 3d rendering, two regular titans are enough for gaming :p

On the CPU front if you want to go balls deep I'd wait for Haswell-E. Until then I'd just look to OC your 920 to around 4GHz if you haven't already. Should help a lot.

Thanks, i'll wait till they're released over here.

sandkiller

Hi GAF!!

I'm looking to replace my ps3 and rasppi media centre with a living room PC. It should be fairly quiet for the living room, be able to play some of the current games with top graphics (e.g. watch dogs with Max detail) and cost less than £1000. Do you think this is feasible with my budget or am I crazy?

I've been looking into some UK sites and found something within this budget with an i7-4770, 16gb ddr3 ram and a 4gb gtx770. Will this be enough for my requirements and what PSU should I use? Corsair 350W enough??

[Basic Desktop Questions]
Your Current Specs: n/a (i only have a ps3 atm)
Budget: £1000 (UK)
Main Use: Gaming, XBMC 1080P and blu-ray in the living room.
Monitor Resolution: hdtv 32" (possible upgrade in future)
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: i woukd like to play top games with maximum detail (e.g. watch dogs)
Looking to reuse any parts?: n/a
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? End of 2014
Will you be overclocking?: No (as silent as possible)

Thanks!

Stubo

It's entirely your choice between the 4670k and the 4770k, and 8gb vs 16gb of RAM. Using a 4670k would allow you to have a better GPU within your budget though.

Maybe something along these lines?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.79 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£98.24 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£108.05 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£84.98 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.98 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£359.98 @ Dabs)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£65.66 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.98 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.69 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1010.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-12 14:55 BST+0100)

Edit: It's also worth considering if you're going to need a keyboard/mouse etc. within that budget.

yatesl

Gaf, I want to spend money, but I couldn't put my hand on my heart and say anything is weighing me down in this 10 month old build. Any recommendations, apart from a 780 Ti?

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£97.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For £35.93)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£86.91)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£52.78)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£67.19 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£244.99 @ Dabs)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.68 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£74.31 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) (£104.44 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Logitech Call of Duty: MW3 Edition Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For £52.00)
Mouse: Logitech G9x Call Of Duty Edition Wired Laser Mouse (Purchased For £0.00)
Speakers: Logitech X-140 4W 2ch Speakers (£27.92 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Dell ST2410 24-inch Full HD Widescreen Monitor - Black (Purchased For £159.20)
Other: Logitech C270 HD Webcam (Purchased For £12.99)
Total: £1288.57
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-12 15:09 BST+0100)

Stubo

Any reason behind the different hard drive types?

The only obvious recommendation is changing your Crucial M4 128GB for a Crucial M500 240GB. The 780 is the green middle ground between the 770 and a 780Ti.

sandkiller

It's entirely your choice between the 4670k and the 4770k, and 8gb vs 16gb of RAM. Using a 4670k would allow you to have a better GPU within your budget though.

Maybe something along these lines?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£98.24 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£108.05 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£84.98 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.98 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£359.98 @ Dabs)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£65.66 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.98 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.69 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1010.80
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-12 14:55 BST+0100)

Edit: It's also worth considering if you're going to need a keyboard/mouse etc. within that budget.
Cool thanks!

Dave_6

Bought an ASUS VG248QE last week for a mITX rig I am making and keep getting bummed about the stupid matte film they put on it so I finally decided to try the AG coating removal mod and everything went successfully! Now that awful barbaric color murdering film can rot in the garbage.

After reading this, I Google'd it. Makes me want to do the same to my VG248QE but I'm afraid i'll fuck mine up lol.

Azulsky

So im building a computer for a friend who is using it for his photolab.

I am kinda dry on what Full Sized ATX cases are good these days. Would like to stay in the sub $200 category.

Would prefer it to have decent front IO panel, but that can be substituted with a 5.525 bay IO panel if any of those are good.

Really dont want it to have a front door to get to drives or usb ports

Help GAF

kennah

Case I am very excited at getting the Fractal Node 304 so that probably won't change. I did just see the new raven case which is even smaller with support for my gtx 770 but only can get a 450w PSU for that form factor. Is that large enough for my 770? Beyond that yeah only looking at case CPU and MB. Hmmm... Will have to keep mulling it over.

It's a great 450 the Silverstone SFX one. Will run a (not over clocked) 780, you're fine with a 770.

There is also a 600W SFX PSU coming out in a couple months. Runs fanless at low wattage. mmmm

I am kinda dry on what Full Sized ATX cases are good these days. Would like to stay in the sub $200 category.

Would prefer it to have decent front IO panel, but that can be substituted with a 5.525 bay IO panel if any of those are good.

Help GAF

Read the OP my son.

Yes.

Azulsky

It's a great 450 the Silverstone SFX one. Will run a (not over clocked) 780, you're fine with a 770.

There is also a 600W SFX PSU coming out in a couple months. Runs fanless at low wattage. mmmm

Read the OP my son.

Yes.

The only Full Sized ATX cases on there do not qualify for my criteria...

Water

Corsair Obsidian 750D? NZXT Source 530?

kiyomi

UK SSD Deal Alert!

Crucial 240GB M500 SSD - £79.99 @ Amazon.co.uk

Not too big a reduction since they were like £83 a week ago, and with Flubit, I was given a price offering of £73. I've put this latest deal into Flubit so we'll see if they can come up with anything better.

Still.. good value, definitely. And nice to see SSDs coming down slowly in price.

Also, GAF, I just bought this RAM: HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600MHz. Cost me £48, hope everything's okay with it.

mkenyon

Banned
The guy that was supposed to sell me the 780 Lightning backed out after a week. However, looks like I'll be getting one of these instead:

EVGA_GTX780TiClassifiedKingpinEd_News.jpg

Help GAF
Lian Li A75, 750D, H630, Fractal Arc XL, 730T/760T.

I know you don't want a door, but the RV04/TJ04 are both nice too. Any reason why he wants a full-sized rather than a mid? Most mids these days are more cavernous than full sized towers of yore.

Samyy

So after the whole announcement today for the new Civ game I need to get a PC that can actually handle these games with a solid frame rate. Been playing Civ 4 and 5 on my 2011 MBP and I'm tired of the 20 FPS stuttering nonsense.

So far I've identified a few potential options:

#1 - Prebuilt from Canada Computers
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=7_1203_124&item_id=064929

This pre-built PC seems fairly in-line with the starting/basic PC outlined in the OP... the plus being that I don't have to build it as I've never done it before.

#2 Build it my self
Seems to be the cheapest option, but I've never done it before. I don't know if it'll be difficult I'm just worried about breaking something haha.
FKWzL9G.png

#3 Lenovo Laptop - Y410p
http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y410p/

Replacement for my Macbook as well since its starting to slowdown + needs a new battery and all these things. My career choice has also really necessitated that Windows is kinda important to use since I use Excel all the time.

Just wondering what you guys think the best option might be :/ I'm completely conflicted.

Water

I know you don't want a door, but the RV04/TJ04 are both nice too. Any reason why he wants a full-sized rather than a mid? Most mids these days are more cavernous than full sized towers of yore.
That's a good question... if he e.g. wants a lot of space for hard drives, even a midtower like Define R4 can already take eight 3.5" HDDs with up to 4TB each for 32TB total storage, after which there are still 2 fullsize optical bays and 2 SSD mounts left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom