• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
So going with the case recommendation, I apparently needed to change the graphics card for clearance (does pc part picker know this? Man that's awesome).

How are the Zotac cards? I see one on here that has a really nice clock speed, the 3 fan setup, and is oddly lower in cost. Here is a revised list thus far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3qR2r

InPlosion

I heard people talking about routing your console signal through your PC's graphics card, in order to add post processing effects. (and by people I mean Durante).
How can it be done? I'm curious...

Red Comet

Theoretically if I wanted to add a second graphics card to my PC for 1440p or 4K gaming, would it be wise to buy a second 780 Ti or would the 3 GB VRAM not be enough? Would it be significantly more effective to buy 2 Titans or even a Titan Z?

Second crash today, since i installed the new GPU. :\

Firefox and Musicbee open, music freezes in a deafening sound, and 2 seconds later everything is stuck (with the sound still froze into this loud buzz).
Can't ctrl+alt+del or nothing, just have to restart the PC manually from the power button.

Weirdly enough this second time it also erased my FireFox cookies, it seems, since i had to log in again in every page.
--
I wonder if it's the Beta drivers or the Audio drivers.

Either way, is there a way to check an error log or something?

EDIT: Or it could be the PSU?

How do you have audio hooked up? Through the GPU? Double check and make sure you fully uninstalled your old drivers and have the proper drivers installed for your current card. And installing beta drivers on a new GPU is probably a bad way to make sure everything is working fine.

Theoretically if I wanted to add a second graphics card to my PC for 1440p or 4K gaming, would it be wise to buy a second 780 Ti or would the 3 GB VRAM not be enough? Would it be significantly more effective to buy 2 Titans or even a Titan Z?

At 1440p my single 3gb 780ti with all options maxed out easily gets me over 60fps in the games I play. Not entirely sure about 4K but I'd imagine you'd still be fine. Especially since other users here SLI their 780tis for 4K with no other option except 3gb

UrbanRats

How do you have audio hooked up? Through the GPU? Double check and make sure you fully uninstalled your old drivers and have the proper drivers installed for your current card. And installing beta drivers on a new GPU is probably a bad way to make sure everything is working fine.

Used drive sweeper to remove the ATi drivers, then installed the latest nvidia's (beta).
As for the audio drivers, i had installed the nvidia HD audio ones, coming in the beta drivers package, but they worked only on the tv (hooked through HDMI) and not on the monitor/separated speakers, attached through the 3.5mm jack on the MoBo.
So i had to reinstall the Realtek audio drivers to have sound when i was using the monitor.

I wonder if that's causing conflict.

Mad Max

Hey guys, i decided not to purchase the 780ti cause i really had no interest in paying $770 for a graphics card. Unacceptable imo. Is the msi r9 290 gaming a good deal at $400? The card looks pretty clean but was used for mining. It wasn't overclocked.

I wouldn't buy it for that price if it was used for mining, since I paid that much for a new 290 about 5 months ago. What does a new 290/780 go for where you live?

Red Comet

At 1440p my single 3gb 780ti with all options maxed out easily gets me over 60fps in the games I play. Not entirely sure about 4K but I'd imagine you'd still be fine. Especially since other users here SLI their 780tis for 4K with no other option except 3gb

Well in all likelihood I'll probably be playing at most 1440p for quite a while before I adopt 4K, and I'm fairly confident 3 GB would be enough for most games out now, but I'm a little concerned about upcoming games such as The Witcher 3 at that resolution.

turcy

hey guys, just a question about my new PC i put together recently...

i'm running a 4770k on an asus maximus VI gene mATX motherboard, and was just noticing something funny in CPU-Z.

my core voltage seems to fluctuate between 1.184V & 1.2V in real time, on its own - is this normal?

have been thinking of overclocking to something safe [~4.2GHz], but wanted to make sure i don't have a power source issue or something first...

been awhile since i've even owned a computer, much less tinkered around with one, so thanks in advance for any insight.

cyen

My new baby has arrived, this thing is massive, the best well build cooler that i ever seen.

Props to MSI.

PTLWUk5.jpg

Ok GAF.

I want an SSD.

I really want the Samsung Pro 256 GB

However one of my friends said Samsung were shit at SSD's and another one of my mates had a DOA Samsung and he swapped it for an Intel and has never had any issues.

Thoughts?

kharma45

Ok GAF.

I want an SSD.

I really want the Samsung Pro 256 GB

However one of my friends said Samsung were shit at SSD's and another one of my mates had a DOA Samsung and he swapped it for an Intel and has never had any issues.

Thoughts?

Samsung SSDs are great. The 840 Pro is one of the best on the market but it's not worth the price premium over the 840 EVO or the Crucial M500. The M500 240GB can be had for $149 whilst the EVO is $30 more at CPL and PC Case Gear.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_902_909&products_id=24841

http://www.mwave.com.au/product/crucial-m500-240gb-25-sata-iii-ssd-ct240m500ssd1-ab49384

http://www.cplonline.com.au/crucial-250gb-sata3-2-5-ssd-m500.html

Samsung SSDs are great. The 840 Pro is one of the best on the market but it's not worth the price premium over the 840 EVO or the Crucial M500. The M500 240GB can be had for $149 whilst the EVO is $30 more at CPL and PC Case Gear.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_902_909&products_id=24841

http://www.mwave.com.au/product/crucial-m500-240gb-25-sata-iii-ssd-ct240m500ssd1-ab49384

http://www.cplonline.com.au/crucial-250gb-sata3-2-5-ssd-m500.html

I fear reliability, I hear a lot of bad shit about SSD's dying all the time.

The Crucial seems like a fair performance drop vs the Samsung pro?

Would I notice the difference?

I fear reliability, I hear a lot of bad shit about SSD's dying all the time.

The Crucial seems like a fair performance drop vs the Samsung pro?

Would I notice the difference?

Those two drives are reliable. OCZ drives are very unreliable. The Crucial has an extra power loss protection, performance is worse, but you are unlikely to notice the difference.

kharma45

Samsung's are reliable drives. SSDs can die but then so do HDDs. No data storage is infallible, which is why everyone should always back up important stuff.

The speed difference between the M500 and the 840 Pro. In the real world for 'general' usage I'd say you'd not notice a huge amount of difference. Compared to any mechanical drive the M500 is still extremely fast. The only reason I'd go for the 840 Pro now is if you were doing a serious amount of writes per day to the SSD, but even then the write endurance of most modern SSDs is going to be well over 10 yers of heavy use before there is a chance of any bad sectors being allocated.

Tech Report has some good data on SSD endurance you should check out. This link is for how the drives are faring after having 600TB written to them http://techreport.com/review/26058/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-data-retention-after-600tb

gilljoy

Running out of storage on my machine so I need to pick up some HDD's

I've been hearing good things about the new WD blue 1tb.

Would two of them in raid0 be a worthwhile replacement to my old spintpoint F3 from sammy along with a 256gb ssd?

LilJoka

hey guys, just a question about my new PC i put together recently...

i'm running a 4770k on an asus maximus VI gene mATX motherboard, and was just noticing something funny in CPU-Z.

my core voltage seems to fluctuate between 1.184V & 1.2V in real time, on its own - is this normal?

have been thinking of overclocking to something safe [~4.2GHz], but wanted to make sure i don't have a power source issue or something first...

been awhile since i've even owned a computer, much less tinkered around with one, so thanks in advance for any insight.

Thats normal.

LilJoka

So going with the case recommendation, I apparently needed to change the graphics card for clearance (does pc part picker know this? Man that's awesome).

How are the Zotac cards? I see one on here that has a really nice clock speed, the 3 fan setup, and is oddly lower in cost. Here is a revised list thus far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3qR2r

Heres my configuration, i dont like to use Zotac due to poor RMA service. A reputable brand is more worthwhile.
Im not sure if you have any particular reason for picking the 250D, but heres an option with the Node 304 which is also a lovely case.
With those changes, ive added the Hyper 212 Cooler to keep it silent under load. And a Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce which will also be nice and silent. Tests at overclock.net showed no difference to CPU temps using an aftermarket cooler over the blower type cooler in this case.
And with money saved I used the 4770k so you can overclock it a little for extra performance in the future or if you use Emulators like Dolphin/PCSX2 etc.
Lastly added the Seasonic PSU which is much higher quuality than the Corsair, modular and Gold certified, also fits perfectly in this case.

Just an fyi, I run this case and GPU with a 3770 at 4.2Ghz with absolutely no temperature issues and its silent.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
this is probably a lazy question (at work so cant search google much) but anyone know what the smallest box i can fit a Titan into as im over my CM Storm tower i want as small & as compact as i can get

LilJoka

this is probably a lazy question (at work so cant search google much) but anyone know what the smallest box i can fit a Titan into as im over my CM Storm tower i want as small & as compact as i can get

Node 304 (310mm length GPU) Case volume: 19.5 Liters
Corsair 250D (290mm length GPU) Case volume: 28.1 Liters
Coolermaster Elite 130 (343mm length GPU) Case volume: 19.83 Liters
EVGA Hadron (267mm length GPU) Case volume: 15.87 Liters

Everyone seems to getting on the SFF design these days =D

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Node 304 (310mm length GPU) Case volume: 19.5 Liters
Corsair 250D (290mm length GPU) Case volume: 28.1 Liters
Coolermaster Elite 130 (343mm length GPU) Case volume: 19.83 Liters
EVGA Hadron (267mm length GPU) Case volume: 15.87 Liters

Everyone seems to getting on the SFF design these days =D

thanks LilJoka ill check it out later man. ya just make it easy to take places. the CM weighs a friggin ton lol

Bleepey

The codes the reddit dude gave me never work. Can I have a step by step guide for USB installation just to make sure I am following it right

So, I decided that I'm going to invest a bit more money and assemble it myself, so this is the build I'm probably going to get, somewhat similair to Haz's Excellent Build.

Case: Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Military Green ( 98,84 € )
Mainboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance Intel H87 ( 78,06 € )
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 ( 175,23 € )
RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9 Dual Kit ( 109,29 € )
GPU: 2048MB MSI GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr ( 208,33 € )
Cooling: bequiet! SHADOW ROCK SLIM ( 33,75 € )
Power: be quiet! Straight Power BQT E9 450W ( 68,35 € )
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 2,5" 250 GB ( 120,00 € )
Storage: Already have an external 1 TB drive ( 0,00 € )
Optical Drive: SATA DVD Burner ( 20,00 € )

Total: 990,28 €

I don't know if the power supply is enough? Or should it be more like 500W.

kennah

The codes the reddit dude gave me never work. Can I have a step by step guide for USB installation just to make sure I am following it right
Did you enter it in to the pid site and make sure to download the correct ISO?
Pretty much most of them. The Titan isn't a large card thanks to the excellent reference cooler.
I wish people would stop worrying about ram limitations. It isn't like the cards are going to stop working and most people will never notice the difference.

And a 780 Ti is as fast as a Titan.

Upgrade your 780ti to whatever fast single gpu is out when yours starts to feel slow.
Okay Gaf, critique away, and gimme a good cooling solution :p Build is quite generic, and unknowledgeable.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3qMaW

Also, not planning on overclocking, but if a compelling arguments are stacked against me I'd probably be swayed.
I will have a much longer answer and better build for you later today.

Stubo

Did you follow the reddit dude's installation instructions? I'm fairly sure that some keys only work with specific install disk images.

It could be worth downloading the .iso file that he's linked you, if this isn't what you've done already.

mjontrix

So, I decided that I'm going to invest a bit more money and assemble it myself, so this is the build I'm probably going to get, somewhat similair to Haz's Excellent Build.

Case: Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Military Green ( 98,84 € )
Mainboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance Intel H87 ( 78,06 € )
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 ( 175,23 € )
RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9 Dual Kit ( 109,29 € )
GPU: 2048MB MSI GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr ( 208,33 € )
Cooling: bequiet! SHADOW ROCK SLIM ( 33,75 € )
Power: be quiet! Straight Power BQT E9 450W ( 68,35 € )
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 2,5" 250 GB ( 120,00 € )
Storage: Already have an external 1 TB drive ( 0,00 € )
Optical Drive: SATA DVD Burner ( 20,00 € )

Total: 990,28 €

I don't know if the power supply is enough? Or should it be more like 500W.

Get a more powerful one - with capacitor aging itll struggle later on. 620 watts or so should be more than enough!

Dunno if that case is good for silence - youd want something like from fractual design.

kennah

Specs wise it is great but has a terrible gpu.

If you are just looking for something to beat the x1 the $600 build in the op does.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Well ain't this a bitch.

I bought a 750 Ti today. But I can't use it yet: the screws holding my old GPU into the case are stuck.

I guess I'll try again tomorrow. :(

Bleepey

Did you follow the reddit dude's installation instructions? I'm fairly sure that some keys only work with specific install disk images.

It could be worth downloading the .iso file that he's linked you, if this isn't what you've done already.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/upgrade-from-windows-7-tutorial

I used this, but on my truly shitty pc it doesn't recognize the code, on my laptop it freezes at the checking apps and devices

EDIT: IT'S DOWNLOADING! My old pc was a second hand piece of shit that had a pirate version of vista.

LilJoka

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/upgrade-from-windows-7-tutorial

I used this, but on my truly shitty pc it doesn't recognize the code, on my laptop it freezes at the checking apps and devices

You should be booting from the disk, not running it from within Windows unless you want to upgrade your existing installation of Windows to Windows 8 (not recommended).
Also your key may not be working because its not an upgrade key (not totally sure here).

Anyway, like we've said a 100 times, use the PID Checker to determine which edition of Windows the key corresponds too exactly.

Josman

I just built a PC with 4670K and GTX 760 in an mATX case... although the case is more like a small mid-tower. The main difference between mATX and ATX is obviously size. You don't need an ATX case for just 1 graphics card. Just make sure you get the correct motherboard that fits a mATX case if you're going to buy one.

I got the Corsair 350D. It's so worth the money. Very high quality case and looks sleek as hell. There's even enough space inside for 2 GPUs if you want to SLI it. Great cable management as well. It's only $80 (plus $10 rebate) for the windowless version and $100 for the windowed version right now @ Newegg. I highly recommend it bro.

Thanks man, that's exactly the case I was looking for.

Bandobacon

Neo Member
Hey GAF, recently I got a gigabyte 760 from a friend. I'm worried that my Q9650 at 4.2 will hold it back. Will it be too much of an issue? Or is the over clock enough to not make it useless. Thanks in advance :)

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Hey GAF, recently I got a gigabyte 760 from a friend. I'm worried that my Q9650 at 4.2 will hold it back. Will it be too much of an issue? Or is the over clock enough to not make it useless. Thanks in advance :)

Tom's had a good article regarding this:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ivy-bridge-wolfdale-yorkfield-comparison,review-32682-21.html

Finally, we found that an overclocked Core 2 Quad (Yorkfield) easily outmaneuvers the latest Core i3 in many video encoding and productivity applications. Once it's clocked high enough, it even matches the i3 in threaded games.

kennah

So basically it'll be fine but an upgrade soon would serve you good.

Keep your eyes out for a 2500k with motherboard and ram for around $200-250 for a stellar upgrade.

bro1

Banned
looking for the smallest case for an ATX board and a GTX 780TI. This is going to double as a HTPC that will be in my bedroom. Silence would be awesome. I use a Hyper 212 with a Nocturna fan on my CPU. Suggestions? Also, has to support a disc drive too.

kennah

You aren't going to find something small that meets those specs. Get the fractal r4. It's a mid with a buttload of sound dampening features and a subtle design.

Shining

Oh man, my GTX 670 died (RMA'd) and i got a GTX 780 in replace as the 670 is no longer available. I'm rocking an old QX9650@3,5ghz with 8GB DDR2 RAM. My CPU is a huge bottleneck, right? Should i sell the GTX 780 and get another card? I don't really want to upgrade the rest of the computer until the Oculus Rift and such gets released.

Heres my configuration, i dont like to use Zotac due to poor RMA service. A reputable brand is more worthwhile.
Im not sure if you have any particular reason for picking the 250D, but heres an option with the Node 304 which is also a lovely case.
With those changes, ive added the Hyper 212 Cooler to keep it silent under load. And a Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce which will also be nice and silent. Tests at overclock.net showed no difference to CPU temps using an aftermarket cooler over the blower type cooler in this case.
And with money saved I used the 4770k so you can overclock it a little for extra performance in the future or if you use Emulators like Dolphin/PCSX2 etc.
Lastly added the Seasonic PSU which is much higher quuality than the Corsair, modular and Gold certified, also fits perfectly in this case.

Just an fyi, I run this case and GPU with a 3770 at 4.2Ghz with absolutely no temperature issues and its silent.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Sounds like good advice. I've never worked with Zotac, so the information helps :) I had originally planned on going with the gigabyte card.

What is your take on the "supposedly 92%" efficiency of the Corsair? Should I be calling shenanigans?

Also while I do like the look of the 250d, that node in white is damn sexy. How is the build quality?

Oh man, my GTX 670 died (RMA'd) and i got a GTX 780 in replace as the 670 is no longer available. I'm rocking an old QX9650@3,5ghz with 8GB DDR2 RAM. My CPU is a huge bottleneck, right? Should i sell the GTX 780 and get another card? I don't really want to upgrade the rest of the computer until the Oculus Rift and such gets released.

Wow, no, keep the card bro. Turn graphical settings up instead, if you're fine with the CPU's performance.

A good video card doesn't make a mediocre CPU worse.

Congrats btw.

LilJoka

Sounds like good advice. I've never worked with Zotac, so the information helps :) I had originally planned on going with the gigabyte card.

What is your take on the "supposedly 92%" efficiency of the Corsair? Should I be calling shenanigans?

Also while I do like the look of the 250d, that node in white is damn sexy. How is the build quality?

All the info is here on the Corsair and Seasonic PSUs mentioned
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Seasonic/G550/6.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM650/6.html

Node 304 has great build quality, its made by Fractal Design, its in the almost premium sector of cases. The sides are steel, the front face is brushed aluminium. It sits next to my Yamaha RX-A1010 and looks great, imo the Corsair looks tacky.

Inside the case there isnt the greatest amount of cable management, but with a fully modular PSU like the Seasonic its really easy to get it super clean. The case supports all are hollow so cables can be routed through them. Mine is not even fully modular and looks great. The HDDs mounts have rubber grommets to reduce noise, there is no resonance on mine. The front fans are filtered, the bottom PSU intake is also filtered. The PSU filter slides out external from the case from the back side. Overall its a great case, for me i dont have any downsides I can think of and im very fussy lol.

Couple other things, all fan cables are sleeved, and the GPU sits next to a nice mesh so it grabs air predominantly from the air outside without having some sort of side intake fan. The stock fans are also of good quality, I run all my fans at 5-600rpm for silence. I believe the inbuilt fan controller runs at 7v on Low which gives the fans just enough juice to spin up. All the fans connect via 3pin headers.

You can see mine here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106652558&postcount=10754

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom