• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josman

Is there an important difference between ATX and mATX for a guy who wants to get an i5 4670k and a single gtx 760? No SLI or something else.

And if there isn't what case would GAF recommend me?

Simzyy

Just so I don't accidentally make a mistake, there is no reason why a MSI GTX 770 would not fit onto a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO mobo or lead to any other problem(s) I'm missing?

Current setup:
i5 2500k
560 Ti
8GB RAM 1600Mhz
Thermaltake Element T Case
Coolermaster GX 750W PSU

Defyler

Was gifted a Dell xps 8700 with the i7 4770 cpu and a nvidia gt 635 (bit of a door stop). Not looking to upgrade the power supply at the moment which is a Dell 465 watt psu.

I haven't PC gamed much in the last six years. I'm thinking of upgrading the gpu to something moderate like the nvidia 750 ti, specifically http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487028 to catch up on some pc games of the last few years and going a bit forward.

I have a 1080p monitor I'd be using and am happy to play at 30-60 fps. Budget for gpu would be $165 - 200. I'm not sure how inclined I am to look outsides nvidia based on past experience. Thoughts?

mkenyon

Banned
Is there an important difference between ATX and mATX for a guy who wants to get an i5 4670k and a single gtx 760? No SLI or something else.

Nope. Check out the mATX cases in the OP, those are my favorite. I'd add the Aerocool DS Cube as well. Built in that recently and was impressed.
Just so I don't accidentally make a mistake, there is no reason why a MSI GTX 770 would not fit onto a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO mobo or lead to any other problem(s) I'm missing?

Current setup:
i5 2500k
560 Ti
8GB RAM 1600Mhz
Thermaltake Element T Case
Coolermaster GX 750W PSU
You're golden.
Was gifted a Dell xps 8700 with the i7 4770 cpu and a nvidia gt 635 (bit of a door stop). Not looking to upgrade the power supply at the moment which is a Dell 465 watt psu.

I haven't PC gamed much in the last six years. I'm thinking of upgrading the gpu to something moderate like the nvidia 750 ti, specifically http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487028 to catch up on some pc games of the last few years and going a bit forward.

I have a 1080p monitor I'd be using and am happy to play at 30-60 fps. Budget for gpu would be $165 - 200. I'm not sure how inclined I am to look outsides nvidia based on past experience. Thoughts?
You're right on track. 750Ti is perfect.

Water

A single 760 isn't a huge heat source so any decent case performs well enough. Depends on your budget, how much you value quiet, what looks you want, if size of the case matters etc.

I personally value compact size, at least as far as it doesn't interfere with performance, so I'd opt for mATX in your scenario. I also like quiet. The first cases on my list would be Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 and Fractal Define Mini; there's no point going smaller than this if the machine is sitting on the floor. The Aerocool DS mkenyon mentions looks nice too, with a considerably different visual style.

kharma45

You're right on track. 750Ti is perfect.

You can get an R9 270 for the same price which is what I'd lean towards http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usa...=CGAX-R927614&manufacture=Club3D&promoid=1018 Uses more power but your PC is able to handle it plenty fine.

Just double check that Dell PSU has a 6 pin connector. I'd be very surprised if it didn't.

Question, when trying to Overclock or just in general I guess, should I change the Windows Power Settings to High Performance or leave it at Balanced? I noticed if i switch it to high performance it runs the CPU at max clock all the time. I sorta like that it downclocks when im not using it. Whats the general consensus?

Slight Edit: So I used the ASUS AI Suite's automatic 4-Way Optimization and it put my CPU at 4.2 (This is at balanced power mind you) and within a few minutes of opening a web browser it crashed to blue screen. Removed the OC by resetting the bios, hrmm. Thoughts?

bro1

Banned
I love my PC but want to avoid having to upgrade for at least a year. I have a 3570K @4.2 and a GTX 780TI Classified. Outside of upgrading to an i7, I should be good for a while? My only concern is that some games like Watch Dogs say they want an i7 which seems nuts to me.

kharma45

I love my PC but want to avoid having to upgrade for at least a year. I have a 3570K @4.2 and a GTX 780TI Classified. Outside of upgrading to an i7, I should be good for a while? My only concern is that some games like Watch Dogs say they want an i7 which seems nuts to me.

you're still golden. I'm very skeptical of the watch dogs specs.

if you don't have an ssd invest in one of those if you have the upgrade itch.

mkenyon

Banned
Question, when trying to Overclock or just in general I guess, should I change the Windows Power Settings to High Performance or leave it at Balanced? I noticed if i switch it to high performance it runs the CPU at max clock all the time. I sorta like that it downclocks when im not using it. Whats the general consensus?

Slight Edit: So I used the ASUS AI Suite's automatic 4-Way Optimization and it put my CPU at 4.2 (This is at balanced power mind you) and within a few minutes of opening a web browser it crashed to blue screen. Removed the OC by resetting the bios, hrmm. Thoughts?
Do it yourself, check out the guide in the OP.

Josman

Nope. Check out the mATX cases in the OP, those are my favorite. I'd add the Aerocool DS Cube as well. Built in that recently and was impressed.

A single 760 isn't a huge heat source so any decent case performs well enough. Depends on your budget, how much you value quiet, what looks you want, if size of the case matters etc.

I personally value compact size, at least as far as it doesn't interfere with performance, so I'd opt for mATX in your scenario. I also like quiet. The first cases on my list would be Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 and Fractal Define Mini; there's no point going smaller than this if the machine is sitting on the floor. The Aerocool DS mkenyon mentions looks nice too, with a considerably different visual style.

My budget for the case is around $100, size and silence matters the most, as long as the design is not too bad, something sleek. Thanks for the responses, i'll be checking those out

LilJoka

#2 Build it my self
Seems to be the cheapest option, but I've never done it before. I don't know if it'll be difficult I'm just worried about breaking something haha.
FKWzL9G.png

Just wondering what you guys think the best option might be :/ I'm completely conflicted.

Thats an AMD Motherboard and an Intel CPU, wont work. Need to stick with socket 1150 Motherboards for Intel 4xxx CPUs (haswell), H81 will be cheapest series of Haswell Board.

LilJoka

My budget for the case is around $100, size and silence matters the most, as long as the design is not too bad, something sleek. Thanks for the responses, i'll be checking those out

Ive recently built an X79 build with a GTX 780 in a mATX motherboard. Case was Lian Li PC-V354B. Ive also just switched my PCs to mATX and a mITX steam box for the living room. No need for ATX unless you need 99 hard disks, DVD drives, water cooling etc. The Lian Li allows for SLI/XFire too if you really want it with any PSU.

TheD

The Detective
Any reason behind the different hard drive types?

The only obvious recommendation is changing your Crucial M4 128GB for a Crucial M500 240GB. The 780 is the obvious choice between your current 770 and a 780Ti.

Get the 250GB Samsung 840 EVO instead of the M500.

Yeah, i think my main mistake was using the 'online' download and not a source file from my saved desktop. Did you stream it down or did you download it?

FWIW, i just returned the board no questions asked and got an ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO

I downloaded from the internet. Exactly what I did when I first got the board. Honestly it seems like you got a bad board.

What he say?

sushiwarrior said:
Fiji will be something new and different, with respects to memory config. Big die.

sushiwarrior said:
By different memory config I don't mean HBM necessarily. I said BIG die. 550mm^2 doesn't hold a candle to it.

sushiwarrior said:
Again, 500-550mm^2 isn't even in the same ballpark AFAIK. It's not that big because they're cramming shaders in though.

Just put an MSI GTX 760 into my i5 3470 based machine and it runs great
but didn't do shit for my aim
. I'd like to swap out the 1TB spinner for an SSD drive of 240-500GB next. Is samsung the going recommendation?

Also is there anything on the Windows side that matches OS X's "Fusion Drive"?

Should I wait to upgrade my 3570k/660ti combo or is it a good time to upgrade now? I was thinking of getting a GTX 770 4GB. I just want to be able to get 1080p/60fps locked in most games coming out with high - max settings.

Just put an MSI GTX 760 into my i5 3470 based machine and it runs great
but didn't do shit for my aim
. I'd like to swap out the 1TB spinner for an SSD drive of 240-500GB next. Is samsung the going recommendation?

Also is there anything on the Windows side that matches OS X's "Fusion Drive"?

Not really. The fusion drive stuff is built in to OS X.

But on the windows side it's cheaper to go 100% ssd

Actually: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-response-technology.html

I have 0 experience with it however.

Was thinking about going with the cooler master mini itx case, but the OP states limits on graphics card dimensions. Does that automatically rule out gigabyte cards?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Good news! The new rig "Satele" is up and running!

Now, OC question, how long should one test instability when OCing your CPU?

SO, I either have a really bad 4670k or I have no clue what I am doing for OC :)

I went into the BIOS for my board, set the multiplier to 42x and VC to 1.25v and booted up, etc. Initial PRIME95 was running for about 15min before it crashed out blue screen.

2nd attempt at 1.26v yielded a test run of 30ish min. 3rd attempt at 1.275 went for 48min before it blue screened with a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION etc. There are literally dozens of other settings in the bios for this hero board and I am not super comfortable with messing with them so Ill have to save it for another day, or try for 4.1ghz stable etc. The funny thing it didnt seem to get that hot, I saw it rise to 80c for like half a second before going to its normal temp of high 50s-70 range. So strange.

I did read somewhere that possibly setting the V Core cache? (setting right below it) to the same helps? But I am not certain. Any thoughts? Otherwise this guy stays stock for now!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Good news! The new rig "Satele" is up and running!

Now, OC question, how long should one test instability when OCing your CPU?

Personally, I always like to make sure that my rig can pass 24 hours of prime95. After that I'll do some gaming.
However, others prefer to just stress test the cpu overnight for 8-12 hrs.

llClickll

Banned

I just built a PC with 4670K and GTX 760 in an mATX case... although the case is more like a small mid-tower. The main difference between mATX and ATX is obviously size. You don't need an ATX case for just 1 graphics card. Just make sure you get the correct motherboard that fits a mATX case if you're going to buy one.

I got the Corsair 350D. It's so worth the money. Very high quality case and looks sleek as hell. There's even enough space inside for 2 GPUs if you want to SLI it. Great cable management as well. It's only $80 (plus $10 rebate) for the windowless version and $100 for the windowed version right now @ Newegg. I highly recommend it bro.

Okay Gaf, critique away, and gimme a good cooling solution :p

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3qMaW

Also, not planning on overclocking, but if a compelling arguments are stacked against me I'd probably be swayed.

You'll be pushing it fairly close with that build and that PSU, just incase of future upgrades, or more components being added I would bump it up a little bit. At 80% efficiency its got 440 watts which is only 60 from your PSU's theoretical limit (which it will almost never hit) also if you plan to OC it will draw even more power. So I would probably go with at least a 600 watt if not 700 watt for that build. No sense in skimping on PSU if your going i7 and 780 high end.

For cooler, if you want to go water cooling get a corsair H60-H100 or equivalent. For air, as long as you arent going crazy with overclocks (maybe 4.2GHz or so) you could grab a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo.

One last thing, I know that case is mini-itx and a good deal. However, I personally don't like the build quality. I think you'd be doing yourself a favor to go with a Corsair 250D, and it looks much nicer (IMO).

You'll be pushing it fairly close with that build and that PSU, just incase of future upgrades, or more components being added I would bump it up a little bit. At 80% efficiency its got 440 watts which is only 60 from your PSU's theoretical limit (which it will almost never hit) also if you plan to OC it will draw even more power. So I would probably go with at least a 600 watt if not 700 watt for that build. No sense in skimping on PSU if your going i7 and 780 high end.

For cooler, if you want to go water cooling get a corsair H60-H100 or equivalent. For air, as long as you arent going crazy with overclocks (maybe 4.2GHz or so) you could grab a Coolermast Hyper 212 Evo.

One last thing, I know that case is mini-itx and a good deal. However, I personally don't like the build quality. I think you'd be doing yourself a favor to go with a Corsair 250D, and it looks much nicer (IMO).

The psu (supposedly) sits around 92% efficiency, and I'm currently not in the overclocking camp, but thanks for the feedback on the PSU! Also, will look into that case :) Is the corsair of good quality? Or just better than the coolermaster?

BIGWORM

I'd like some opinions in here regarding Haswell. My 4670k, like a lot of others, run pretty warm when even moderately overclocking @ 4.2. From reading up, the higher temps are due to Intel incorporating a crappy TIM under their IHS, so I'm thinking of delidding my 4670k and re-applying some aftermarket TIM. Thing is, I've never done something as delicate as that. Hell, knowing I just paid $250+ for my processor, I baby it to the max before I clamp it down.

An idea of my load temps: I've literally seen my processor hit TJMax while in pass 8/10 in LinX. This is @ 4.2 on 1.2v. I'm also using an closed loop H70 with AS5 TIM. I don't remember what my VID is. I know my voltage is good for the OC, and that I shouldn't really weigh-in synthetic load as much, but I'm still worried. I had my processor at 4.4 with 1.23v, but I lost the settings when I upgraded the BIOS. Seems like 4.5 won't be worth because I'm thinking I'm having to dump 1.3v on the processor, and with my LinX load temps where they're at right now, I'm looking to delid first before I do that.

I have no idea what this post just turned into. =/

The psu (supposedly) sits around 92% efficiency, and I'm currently not in the overclocking camp, but thanks for the feedback on the PSU! Also, will look into that case :) Is the corsair of good quality? Or just better than the coolermaster?

Like I said, the PSU will manage fine but if you plan to add to the computer, or OC it might not be enough. However those options are up to you so do what you feel is best.

The Corsair case has great build quality, looks really sleek, has a window on the top if your into that sort of thing, and overall just has a much better layout than the Coolermaster.

TheCloser

Banned
Hey guys, i decided not to purchase the 780ti cause i really had no interest in paying $770 for a graphics card. Unacceptable imo. Is the msi r9 290 gaming a good deal at $400? The card looks pretty clean but was used for mining. It wasn't overclocked.

UrbanRats

Second crash today, since i installed the new GPU. :\

Firefox and Musicbee open, music freezes in a deafening sound, and 2 seconds later everything is stuck (with the sound still froze into this loud buzz).
Can't ctrl+alt+del or nothing, just have to restart the PC manually from the power button.

Weirdly enough this second time it also erased my FireFox cookies, it seems, since i had to log in again in every page.
--
I wonder if it's the Beta drivers or the Audio drivers.

Either way, is there a way to check an error log or something?

EDIT: Or it could be the PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom