• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mainly I just like the classic larger tower. They fit nice in my computer desk. It wouldn't look right with a lot of empty space.
Not to mention the Intel one specifies 16GB maximum memory. I would eventually like to upgrade to 32GB at some point
Gotcha, but a NUC can mount to the back of your monitor and be completely out of sight.

Mairu

Depending on what you are looking for, you'll probably have to wait for a long time to get anything better than what you can get now.

Very slight bump to Intel CPUs in progress, unlocked versions in summer. Haswell-E in Fall. None of this is going to make an appreciable difference for gaming.

Next ultra-high end GPU releases probably around end of the year or later. Midrange cards with better price/performance than old midrange may or may not show up earlier than that, but unfortunately no one knows.

Looks like sooner it is!

XJF

Gotcha, but a NUC can mount to the back of your monitor and be completely out of sight.

That's pretty sweet. But I'll be getting a 65" 4K Bravia XBR TV soon, and my current 50" Bravia will become my computer screen, so size or disretion really isn't an issue. XD

kennah

Sooo, basically you came in here to ask if it were ok for you do what it was you wanted to to?

It's ok to do whatever you want to do.

NoRéN

Sooo, basically you came in here to ask if it were ok for you do what it was you wanted to to?

I've noticed this every once in a while.

"I want some recommendations"
-gets recommendations
"Thank you for your time in putting together these detailed recommendations. I've decided to disregard them because I'm *cheap/don't care/I'm an expert now*"

I'm not going to lie, every once in a while one of those comes back because they f'ed up something and I enjoy that a bit.

Mairu

Build I'm thinking about:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($265.73 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($145.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($519.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master V700 700W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($146.66 @ Newegg)
Total: $1937.33
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-11 13:55 EDT-0400)

I'd appreciate anyone's advice or input

XJF

No, I wanted to know if the computer was sufficient for my needs and to make sure none of the pieces that it comes with were severely outdated

And I asked for thoughts on a particular machine, not recommendations for others. It's not my fault if someone somehow misinterprets something I explicitly stated.

Anyways, a buddy of mine was talking about a "Raid" setup? What would the perks of something like that be?

kennah

No, I wanted to know if the computer was sufficient for my needs and to make sure none of the pieces that it comes with were severely outdated

If you aren't gaming, or doing media production, then literally anything would be suitable to the needs.

I'm confused about why you want 32gigs of RAM though.

RAID does a couple things. It can increase speed of drives by pairing them together so that they operate independently as a single volume. Or it can be used for redundancy, pairing together drives to have the exact same information on them so that if one dies, the other survives with all the data.

riflen

Depending on what you are looking for, you'll probably have to wait for a long time to get anything better than what you can get now.

Very slight bump to Intel CPUs in progress, unlocked versions in summer. Haswell-E in Fall. None of this is going to make an appreciable difference for gaming.

Next ultra-high end GPU releases probably around end of the year or later. Midrange cards with better price/performance than old midrange may or may not show up earlier than that, but unfortunately no one knows.

Haswell-E has been brought forwards to Q2 btw.

XJF

If you aren't gaming, or doing media production, then literally anything would be suitable to the needs.

I'm confused about why you want 32gigs of RAM though.

RAID does a couple things. It can increase speed of drives by pairing them together so that they operate independently as a single volume. Or it can be used for redundancy, pairing together drives to have the exact same information on them so that if one dies, the other survives with all the data.
Oh ok. I didn't know that. That's nice to know. I do partake in the occasional rendering of HD video (captured gameplay) through SONY VEGAS, but mostly just ripping CD's and Blu-Rays.

As for why I would like so much RAM, I tend to multi-task a lot. Multiple web-pages open while converting Albums at a time to a different Lossless format (FLAC -> ALAC since iTunes doesn't support FLAC and it's easier than keeping a FLAC copy and a VBR V0 version of every album/OST). It may be overkill, but still something I would like just in case.

The Raid thing sounds pretty neat. It would be nice to have a back up of my music collection.

He mentioned that there were different types of "Raid" setups. Raid-Zero? Is one more beneficial than the other, or does it not really effect me for my needs?

Since my old computer died in August 2011, i've been using my laptop. When my anti-virus scans my computer slugs along. Is that because of the processor or due to low RAM?

kennah

Oh ok. I didn't know that. That's nice to know. I do partake in the occasional rendering of HD video (captured gameplay) through SONY VEGAS, but mostly just ripping CD's and Blu-Rays.

As for why I would like so much RAM, I tend to multi-task a lot. Multiple web-pages open while converting Albums at a time to a different Lossless format (FLAC -> ALAC since iTunes doesn't support FLAC and it's easier than keeping a FLAC copy and a VBR V0 version of every album/OST). It may be overkill, but still something I would like just in case.

The Raid thing sounds pretty neat. It would be nice to have a back up of my music collection.

He mentioned that there were different types of "Raid" setups. Raid-Zero? Is one more beneficial than the other, or does it not really effect me for my needs?

32 Gigs is massive overkill even for that. You reallllly only need 32gigs if you are going to be running multiple virtual machines at a time. Even video editing doesn't take all that much advantage of anything more than 16 gig.

There are many different RAID types. All depends on what kind of motherboard/controller card you get for what is supported.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

EDIT: Your slowness question - anti virus programs are limited by the speed of the hard drives they are running on and the number of files they are having to access. Slow laptop drive with a lot of files will take a long time. The only way to speed up an antivirus program is to get faster drives (they're near instant on an SSD)

XJF

32 Gigs is massive overkill even for that. You reallllly only need 32gigs if you are going to be running multiple virtual machines at a time. Even video editing doesn't take all that much advantage of anything more than 16 gig.

There are many different RAID types. All depends on what kind of motherboard/controller card you get for what is supported.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

EDIT: Your slowness question - anti virus programs are limited by the speed of the hard drives they are running on and the number of files they are having to access. Slow laptop drive with a lot of files will take a long time. The only way to speed up an antivirus program is to get faster drives (they're near instant on an SSD)
Ok, so type of RAID you would use depends on needs and capabilities of Motherboard. Got it.
I may be upgrading to a newer laptop eventually, too. The VAIO I have now is from 2009 so it's quite old and only has a 500GB HDD.

Final question. if I have the specs of the Motherboard, how can I determine what (if any) raids it supports?

I have bought this case for my mom PC:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811208054

I don't really live near my mom's so after building the PC, i ask my sister to move the wifi card from the old to this new PC. She told me the backplate doesn't fit.

Since i can't see the size issue, i don't really know what to do. Can i simply buy a new backplate or juste remove the current one? Will i need to get a new smaller wifi card?

She's using a usb wifi dongle for now, so i guess that could work too. But i would like to get it back, since it's useful from time to time.

Thanks!

What kind of case are you thinking? I have my grandma's computer in a wall mounted SFF case and she loves it.

Your mom deserves a nice small case.

Thanks for the idea and suggestions of cases, my mom is loving her new SFF computer!

Hmm, yeah if you don't have any USB3 ports I wouldn't worry about interference. It shouldn't be a problem. Power-wise, it's really hard to say. Every peripheral seems to have a slightly different tolerance. USB wifi, USB soundcard, T500, you've definitely got some stuff hooked up to it :) Maybe off-loading a few things to a powered hub might help the situation.

Is this a recently developed issue, or has it been going on for a long as you've had the adapter/system/mobo/gfx card?
I believe it has happened as long as I've had the system. Generally I find that if games are capped to 60, it doesn't overheat to the point where this problem occurs. Indeed, as I spend a lot of time on iRacing, which is capped at 120, I have no connection problem there - it doesn't seem to tax the GPU at all.

Assetto Corsa seems fine too, rFactor2 is a problem though. Even if I cap it at 60, my GPU fan goes nuts and the connection drops very quickly.

It really does seem like a heat thing...

Ashhong

Thanks for the reply! I have no USB3 ports on my PC. I've tried it on almost every port and I get the same results, even using the ones that pass through my monitor. With the extension cable and the monitor cables, the adapter is surely far enough away from interference, but it still happens (although ultimately it's still going into the same USB connection on the motherboard so I guess... the interference could be.. on that end? I guess you meant interference with the wi-fi signal going to the antenna though...)

As for power, no doubt the system is drawing the most power during these games that run hot. But all the other USB devices aren't failing during this time... for instance, I have a USB soundcard that has no separate power supply, so that would surely be a clear indication of power loss through USB, but I've never had sound issues.

Once I had issues with a specific asus wireless PCI card simply being incompatible with my asus motherboard (ironic right?). Replaced the wireless card and haven't had a problem since.

If the problem has been there from the beginning I recommend trying out a new usb dongle.

I believe it has happened as long as I've had the system. Generally I find that if games are capped to 60, it doesn't overheat to the point where this problem occurs. Indeed, as I spend a lot of time on iRacing, which is capped at 120, I have no connection problem there - it doesn't seem to tax the GPU at all.

Assetto Corsa seems fine too, rFactor2 is a problem though. Even if I cap it at 60, my GPU fan goes nuts and the connection drops very quickly.

It really does seem like a heat thing...

I'm no expert but I don't see how heat would cause issues with an external dongle. Have you tried gaming with the side panel open? See if that makes a difference. If it happens only when the fans then on then sounds like a power issue. I still say try a new dongle

kennah

I have bought this case for my mom PC:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811208054

I don't really live near my mom's so after building the PC, i ask my sister to move the wifi card from the old to this new PC. She told me the backplate doesn't fit.

Since i can't see the size issue, i don't really know what to do. Can i simply buy a new backplate or juste remove the current one? Will i need to get a new smaller wifi card?

She's using a usb wifi dongle for now, so i guess that could work too. But i would like to get it back, since it's useful from time to time.

Thanks!

Thanks for the idea and suggestions of cases, my mom is loving her new SFF computer!

Brings a tear to my eye :) Do you have the model number of the wifi card? If it is already a half height card you can really just remove the backplate and have it hang loose in the case. It won't go anywhere as long as no one jostles the case. The manufacturer of the card should have replacement plates that fit half height slots that you can order - but they also frequently are included in the box the card came in.

A model number of the card would help me find any of this info for you.

EDIT: It looks like your case comes with a few replacement brackets... if someone there was handy with a drill they could just cut out what is needed and then that would hold the card in enough.

appaws

Banned
Hey I was going to let you guys know that I performed an experiment and I wanted to share the results with you all.

So I just recently bought a new Corsair Air 540 case and a simple NZXT fan controller with analog sliders. I have the stock 3 140mm fans on the case and two SP120 Quiet Editions on my CM 212+ heatsink. All the fans are plugged into the controller.

My CPU is a 3570k @4.4ghz using offset at -0.40 with a CM 212+ air cooler.

So I wanted to see how much difference there is between the lowest (40% fan speed) and the highest (100% fan speed) in both sound level and CPU temps while doing different things.

First, let me just say that the noise level is dramatically reduced at the 40% setting. I can't measure it or anything, but I am shocked how much quieter my system is with the fan controller turned all the way down. Now the Air 540 is not meant to be a silent case, everything is pretty much open, big vents, etc.

So my experiment was to see if the temps went up too much by reducing the fans speed that low. So I tested it doing 4 different things using both 100% and 40% settings...I made the small chart below:

At Idle for 5 mins
100% Fans-----34c max
40% Fans-------35c max

Playing Civ 5 for 30 minutes
100% Fans-----55c max
40% Fans-------55c max

Playing EUIV for 30 minutes
100% Fans-----59c max
40% Fans-------59c max

IBT Standard Burn Test
100% Fans-----77c max
40% Fans-------79c max

So, the results of my little experiment show that the temps changed very little by reducing the fan speed by 60% and made a dramatic difference in reducing system noise. CONCLUSION: You can use an inexpensive fan controller to quiet your system extremely well...and it won't make your temps go up much, if at all.

I've got a motherboard with a total of 16 lanes across 3 PCI-E slots.

Considering going SLI in the nearish future. First time I've done so, though, so I'm curious. Will the drop to x8 and x8 be in any way notable? I'm reading conflicting reports that the loss is either extremely minimal or actually somewhat material relative to potential if the same setup was across two 16x slots.

Cards would be a set of 780s.

Is this something to note or no?

Can't wait to get started. :)

HELLS FUCKING YES!!!!!!!

I will be doing this next month!!! My first gaming PC!!!

30047787.jpg

Chinbo37

I finally received the last parts I needed for my new mitx build.

I'll try to snap some pics and post them here even though its norpt a gaming build

There is no better feeling than building a new pc

Build I'm thinking about:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($265.73 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($145.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($519.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master V700 700W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($146.66 @ Newegg)
Total: $1937.33
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-11 13:55 EDT-0400)

I'd appreciate anyone's advice or input

This is going to be a pretty beastly computer.

But me personally, I'd get a small SSD and use that purely for installing windows on for a faster OS, and use the TB drive for everything else to save some cash.

But man, the cash your droping for that is pretty high. But it seems you got the cash and I dont so what you got is pretty good though.

I'd only make changes to save cash on everything but the graphics card.

H1PSTER

Hey there.

I've got two GTX 580's and was wanting to upgrade, do any of you guys know a decent place to sell old computer parts?

aka_bueno

I'm still toying with the idea of selling my MBPr and building a small form factor PC around the RVZ01 case, here's a quick thrown together build. Would like to keep it under $1k. The cheaper the better, but I have a hard time skimping too much on parts and I like to stick with brands I have good experience with. I plan on using this for work (Photoshop, Illustrator, inDesign) and for games (mainly Blizzard titles) and try out some streaming down the line. 1920x1080 60+fps w/max settings and AA in WoW, Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3 and similar titles. Big AAA multiplat shooters and stuff I will play on my XB1 since that's were my shooter buddies are at.

Other notes: Unfortunately, I'm limited to overpriced slim slot loading optical drives because of the case, and the PSU as well. Both of those are pretty specific to compatibility with this RVZ01 case and I can't replace them.

I'd like to keep the GPU to Nvidia only. Bump down to 660GTX to save a bit?

Mobo, if possible would like built in wifi but not a must.

I wouldn't mind buying lesser expensive parts now, if I can easily upgrade or add to in the near future. Like RAM for instance, I'd like 16GB but I'm limited to 2 slots and want to save here. Should I just get 1x8GB stick (with option of upgrading later on) or 2x4GB and replace both sticks down the line?

I'd like an SSD, but I can save here too by sticking with an HDD. Thinking about it now, 1TB is overkill. I can probably save some here. Can add an SSD later, would require Windows reinstall (dont mind).

CPU cooler: If I don't want to overclock, do I need an aftermarket heatsink/cooler in this smaller case?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon) a
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: EVGA 100-OD-S101-BR DVD/CD Writer ($54.09 @ Amazon)
Total: $947.99
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-11 17:42 EDT-0400)

Does anyone here have this case? Could use input, since it's a small case I'm more limited on selection than most.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm still toying with the idea of selling my MBPr and building a small form factor PC around the RVZ01 case, here's a quick thrown together build. Would like to keep it under $1k. The cheaper the better, but I have a hard time skimping too much on parts and I like to stick with brands I have good experience with. I plan on using this for work (Photoshop, Illustrator, inDesign) and for games (mainly Blizzard titles) and try out some streaming down the line. 1920x1080 60+fps w/max settings and AA in WoW, Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3 and similar titles. Big AAA multiplat shooters and stuff I will play on my XB1 since that's were my shooter buddies are at.

Other notes: Unfortunately, I'm limited to overpriced slim slot loading optical drives because of the case, and the PSU as well. Both of those are pretty specific to compatibility with this RVZ01 case and I can't replace them.

I'd like to keep the GPU to Nvidia only. Bump down to 660GTX to save a bit?

Mobo, if possible would like built in wifi but not a must.

I wouldn't mind buying lesser expensive parts now, if I can easily upgrade or add to in the near future. Like RAM for instance, I'd like 16GB but I'm limited to 2 slots and want to save here. Should I just get 1x8GB stick (with option of upgrading later on) or 2x4GB and replace both sticks down the line?

I'd like an SSD, but I can save here too by sticking with an HDD. Thinking about it now, 1TB is overkill. I can probably save some here. Can add an SSD later, would require Windows reinstall (dont mind).

CPU cooler: If I don't want to overclock, do I need an aftermarket heatsink/cooler in this smaller case?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon) a
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: EVGA 100-OD-S101-BR DVD/CD Writer ($54.09 @ Amazon)
Total: $947.99
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-11 17:42 EDT-0400)

Does anyone here have this case? Could use input, since it's a small case I'm more limited on selection than most.
Do you *need* an optical drive? Given the small price disparity between the Z87 and H87 ITX boards, you'd be very well served by dropping that and getting a 4670K and Gigabyte Z87N.

You could also cut the price by $100 by going with a different ITX case that can accept a proper PSU. Or even something like the EVGA Hadron Air. That'd reduce the overall price by $40, and has a better PSU.

*edit*

I thought the Hadron Air was a lot bigger than it actually is until I saw it in person. Have been very interested in one ever since. This is the only picture I could find that might give a good reference to that:

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
What the hell...

I pulled my "dead" WD Black drive out today, gave it a few knocks and reconnected everything...

It loaded. I am backing up everything just in case but I am pissed I didn't try this before ordering an SSD drive :lol.

Oh well :p

aka_bueno

Do you *need* an optical drive? Given the small price disparity between the Z87 and H87 ITX boards, you'd be very well served by dropping that and getting a 4670K and Gigabyte Z87N.

You could also cut the price by $100 by going with a different ITX case that can accept a proper PSU. Or even something like the EVGA Hadron Air. That'd reduce the overall price by $40, and has a better PSU.

*edit*

I thought the Hadron Air was a lot bigger than it actually is until I saw it in person. Have been very interested in one ever since. This is the only picture I could find that might give a good reference to that:

I was actually looking at that case too but settled with the RVZ01. I just like it's form factor too much, and down the line I could always retire it to the living room and it'd blend right in with my other hardware and consoles.

I'm also looking to decrease the price, not increase it but I do like your CPU/Mobo suggestion. Would I be better off going with your suggested combo, and downgrading the GPU to a 660GTX to keep the price equal. My thinking is, It'd be a lot easier to upgrade the GPU down the line, than the CPU.

Also, I suppose I don't *need* the optical drive, was just thinking it'd be nice to have. My MBPr doesn't have one and I've lived without one for 2 years but there were a few times where having one would have really been nice and much more convenient. I guess I can always save now without one, and get one later down the line?

Just wonder how much of a pain it'd be adding something like that later on in this ITX case, hm...

So I just started this build, and the open box "complete" GIGABYTE Z87N-WIFI didn't have an I/O shield :( how big of a deal is that? can i buy one online?

mkenyon

Banned
I was actually looking at that case too but settled with the RVZ01. I just like it's form factor too much, and down the line I could always retire it to the living room and it'd blend right in with my other hardware and consoles.

I'm also looking to decrease the price, not increase it but I do like your CPU/Mobo suggestion. Would I be better off going with your suggested combo, and downgrading the GPU to a 660GTX to keep the price equal. My thinking is, It'd be a lot easier to upgrade the GPU down the line, than the CPU.

Also, I suppose I don't *need* the optical drive, was just thinking it'd be nice to have. My MBPr doesn't have one and I've lived without one for 2 years but there were a few times where having one would have really been nice and much more convenient. I guess I can always save now without one, and get one later down the line?

Just wonder how much of a pain it'd be adding something like that later on in this ITX case, hm...
The 4670K and Z87 board give you the ability to overclock, which will give you linear gains in multimedia creation, and actually improved performance in all the Blizzard games. It also helps keep the processor relevant for a longer period of time.

If you want to split the difference, you could get a cheaper processor now, and go with the Z87 board. Just plop in a used 4670K somewhere down the line.

I'd definitely suggest keeping the 760 in there. It's a great value for what you get.

As far as swapping in a new optical drive, it looks to be really easy in the RVZ01.
So I just started this build, and the open box "complete" GIGABYTE Z87N-WIFI didn't have an I/O shield :( how big of a deal is that? can i buy one online?
It's not really a big deal at all. But you should have one, and they should supply you with one.

Hi ya'll :)

So I'm plannin on building a rig soon. ~$3kish hopefully, but I'm OK with up to $5k. For video editing, streaming, coding, and gaming. A lot of production work in general.

The first thing I need advice on is monitors. I'm really picky about input/display lag, especially since I play a lot of competitive games, so that's priority, but I don't want to sacrifice picture quality entirely either.

At the moment, I'm thinking 2 in landscape and 1 portrait. Portrait is really useful for coding, and I like the idea of keeping the twitch chat on there when I'm streaming. Is it excessive? Deep down I feel the extra room will be really useful. 27" for the 2 landscapes? Tho I know nothing about how to shop for a good portrait haha.

Recommendations? I haven't settled on my GPU(s), but I'm leaning SLI 780Tis? I'll be really salty if the 800 series gets announced in the next few weeks but I need the machine asap so I wouldn't be willing to wait anyhow.

mkenyon

Banned
So, I can help you work through this, and it is definitely going to be a little complicated. The tl;dr of this is that you want to build two PCs. The first is your gaming and editing machine. The second is your streaming/capture PC. It can also double as an editing machine if you want to keep your gaming PC super simple and free of any bloatware.

Competitive gaming implies online gaming. As of right now, there is simply no way to have a great quality stream from the same PC that you are gaming on without massive hits to performance. If you are happy with the level of quality from Shadowplay, then you would be fine with a single machine.

A couple questions to get started in the right direction:

1) Any size constraints in terms of enclosures?

2) What are you big games, what are you looking forward to?

3) If you had to choose between eye candy and frame rate, what would it be? Is eye candy *super* important to you?

*edit*

Also, in terms of monitors, you want a VG248QE with a G-Sync kit, BenQ XL2420Z, or Eizo Foris FG2421. 120Hz with strobing is a requirement, IMO, for competitive gaming.

Lexxism

I'm probably just getting paranoid but I'll ask it anyway.

Whenever I open a file located at my HDD or directly open it, I always hear it spin. That's normal I guess but I don't remember hearing any of that with my previous PC's.

2 machines? Intriguing. My immediate reaction is negative but I'm curious about your reasoning. Keep in mind I'll be streaming games from the gaming PC some, but most of it will actually come from a separate CRT (I play Super Smash Brothers Melee competitively). Melee and my upcoming weekly talk/news show will be 90% of my content.

No. The machine(s?) won't be going anywhere; I have a very powerful gaming laptop if I ever need to be on the move. It shouldn't be bigger than it has to be of course, but its not a big factor tbh.

I play all the big mainstream stuff like everyone else. Nothing in particular stands out; I play it all. Dota 2, Street Fighter, and CS:GO are where I'll spend the majority of my time though.

3) If you had to choose between eye candy and frame rate, what would it be? Is eye candy *super* important to you?

Frame rate and display lag are more important to me tbh. Eye candy is still really up there though; if the image quality is drastically worse, I'll sacrifice some in the other two categories to make up for it.

Thanks for the help :)

mkenyon

Banned
2 machines? Intriguing. My immediate reaction is negative but I'm curious about your reasoning. Keep in mind I'll be streaming games from the gaming PC some, but most of it will actually come from a separate CRT (I play Super Smash Brothers Melee competitively). Melee and my upcoming weekly talk/news show will be 90% of my content.

No. The machine(s?) won't be going anywhere; I have a very powerful gaming laptop if I ever need to be on the move. It shouldn't be bigger than it has to be of course, but its not a big factor tbh.

I play all the big mainstream stuff like everyone else. Nothing in particular stands out; I play it all. Dota 2, Street Fighter, and CS:GO are where I'll spend the majority of my time though.

Frame rate and display lag are more important to me tbh. Eye candy is still really up there though; if the image quality is drastically worse, I'll sacrifice some in the other two categories to make up for it.

Thanks for the help :)
That changes everything.

The reason why you want two machines for streaming PC games is that encoding the steam is really processor intensive. Competitive/MP PC games are also very processor intensive. Both of those fighting over it means huge spikes in frame times upwards of 75ms or more. This is immediately felt as insane lag and chugging on the user's end.

About to head home, but I'll post up something in a few hours that should be pretty close to what you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom