• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty old but it's a 920 i7.

How are you cooling it? With any worthwhile solution, like water, a h100i, or a Noctua or Silver Arrow you can reach 4ghz easily. Mine is currently at 4.3, being cooled by a h100i.

Edit: Should probably mention stepping. If it's C0 stepping you might be out of luck. D0 stepping is the Boss though. You can see which you have with CPU-z.

Hard to tell when CPU stops making a difference. You're rarely ever completely CPU bottlenecked. Most often you get some slow frames every once in a while.

If overclocking your CPU adds a small amount to your average, even something low like 5 FPS, it's probably adding a lot more to your bottom line.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Speaking of bottlenecks, today I replaced my 550 Ti with an ASUS 750 Ti (non-OC.)

My CPU is a Core 2 Quad Q9450 (currently OC'd to 2.9Ghz) and I've got 8GB RAM.

As an initial test, I ran the Bioshock Infinite benchmark tool. 1080p, everything at maximum:

XhiXjWS.jpg

I will see about testing it more in the next few days to see how big the bottleneck is and if OCing if further will improve things.

But regardless of bottlenecks or not, I'm impressed with the card. It's incredibly quiet and gets the job done.

Myth. CPU holds back CPU based things. GPU holds back GPU based things.
Not entirely myth. CPU is responsible for feeding GPU draw instructions, if CPU is that bad GPU performance is erratic
Hard to tell when CPU stops making a difference. You're rarely ever completely CPU bottlenecked. Most often you get some slow frames every once in a while.

If overclocking your CPU adds a small amount to your average, even something low like 5 FPS, it's probably adding a lot more to your bottom line.
Hmmm. Well at the moment I'm using a i7 870 combined with a GTX 670. It does ok, can run most things at 1920x1200 with mostly high settings, but it can struggle at times. Particularly noticeable (as I play a lot of driving sims) is the way the performance tanks on large grids of vehicles - could that be an indication of the CPU struggling? I guess it's mostly due to the additional geometry being rendered on screen... which is GPU...?

Overclocking is a no-go as I'm on a small mini-itx board in a small case and it already runs warmer than average. Would it make sense to upgrade to a Haswell i7 at this point? I can't imagine the i7 870 lasting (at stock speed) all the way through this generation of games. Are we anticipating a massive CPU revolution any time soon? Seems kinda stagnant... which is why I'm wondering if it's worth waiting any longer.

Anyone know why my mouse pointer is showing the sandclock for a split second every 2 seconds?

I open the task manager and see the process "COM Surrogate" going on and off in the same intervall?

My laptop doesn't do this so i don't think its normal? (Also my explorer is always crashing if i right click any elements in the most left window... not really a problem but maybe it's somehow coneccted?)

EDIT: Fixed, it was Spybot S&D causing this!

scogoth

Hah :p

I'm almost sad to put the EK block on it. The VRM plate mixed with the transparent cooler is so hawt.

But, I've been told to expect 1300+ MHz 24/7 clocks with the EK block on it. Am hype.

Yeah its a shame, I don;t like EK's half blocks. Just add some extra metal guys to cover the rest of the board. Pro-tip if you want to use the EVGA backplate go buy 2mm longer screws then what EK gave you and you can still use it.

appaws

Banned
I am thinking of overclocking my Processor (Intel Core I7-2600K) and never done any overclocking before, and I do plan to buy a GPU later this year and probably will be tempted to tweak that as well. How do I do this? I also have zero knowledge on water cooling what so ever! What do I need to do? :)

Are you asking about overclocking or water cooling? You mention both...

There are links to overclocking guides in the OP. It's a pretty simple process these days, just follow a good guide and be methodical.

Water cooling is a whole different issue. There are a lot of guides on the internet...and good videos on Youtube. I like Dazmode's complete guide to water cooling video series. He explains everything in very good detail. Some of the specific parts he mentions are a bit outdated, as the video is a few years old.

Bleepey

So how did you get it installed in the end?

I got my old laptop with a legit version of windows 8 and downloaded windows 8.1 from there. My old shifty desktop was bought second hand and had a pirated version of vista. I just followed the instructions from there.

Can I have a HDD recommendation. I am not sure whether to have internal or external but I just want something for games.

ombz

What are the chances my processor is ok?
My computer shut off yesterday while playing Alan wake for a few hours. The power supply felt very hot. The pc will not power up at all now. I checked with my roommates pc and my video card is fine. I didn't check the ram yet and I can't check the cpu since my roommates motherboard is a different socket. I don't know if this matters at all but my harddrive still powers up when connect to the motherboard.
UPDATE: I checked the psu with another pc and it worked fine. I'm going to RMA the motherboard(it is relatively new) and hope nothing is wrong with the cpu(4770k)

Hey all

I have the option between a WD Blue and a WD Black, which is the best? I've read online that they're both good, differences are negligible etc., one is a good all-around HDD whereas the other favours performance and is somewhat louder, but I have yet to make up my mind.

riflen

Hey all

I have the option between a WD Blue and a WD Black, which is the best? I've read online that they're both good, differences are negligible etc., one is a good all-around HDD whereas the other favours performance and is somewhat louder, but I have yet to make up my mind.

The Black drives are designed to be more reliable. They have dual controllers, a dynamic caching system and a 5-year warranty.

So built a new machine reusing some parts and realized the disc drives I have are IDE and new mobo does not have IDE. So instead of buying a cable/new drives I figured I dont even need disc drives since I use steam for everything.

Problem is installing windows. I downloaded an ISO to boot from a thumb drive but I only have a mac to put it on.

I attempted to use Boot Camp Assistant to do it but it keeps erroring out on me.

Anyone have any other suggestions how I can do this on a Mac?

In Disk Utility RESTORE the ISO to the USB stick.

Restore button remains greyed out. Anyone else have suggestions?

KJ869

Hey all

Are you going to pair it with SSD?

Geneijin

Alright. I was wrong. I have a Jack male - Jack male going from my soundcard to my subwoofer. From my subwoofer it's a XLR female to XLR female to the speaker.

I had to use a Jack since my soundcard doesn't have XLR output. I've lifted the ground for a second and it went worse. So the jacks might be the problem. I've no idea how I can solve this instead of looking for a new soundcard which has an XLR output and hoping it solves it.

Edit: Finding a soundcard with XLR outputs seems to be hard. It's a Jack. Turning off the system sound didn't help.
Ah, my mistake. I mistook MIDI Out with XLR Output. I should have looked closer, but you do have RCA output thankfully below your TRS output.

You could run RCA out from your UA-25EX and run similar splitters like you are now for XLR with RCA to duplicate the signal so that both your subwoofer and speakers can get them. If your UA-25EX can process the LFE crossover frequency with software, you won't have to manually adjust the LFE with your subwoofer. This way you can test if your speakers are okay, and if they are, that would mean your wires were the problem.

The other way is just to swap your current XLR cables with new replacements and see if the problem still occurs, but that's less likely the issue from experience yet still worth doing to isolate the issue later. It's also much easier to do (probably) than getting 2 female-to-2-male RCA cables and 1 male-to-2-female RCA cable as it's the cheapest option to run a 2.1 or more setup if you don't have the software (or receiver) to.

The cheaper alternative would be running RCA out from your motherboard to your speakers to see if you'll also get static noise in the same circumstances or worse. If you do, you may want to consider a cheap internal soundcard to send a cleaner signal to your UA-25EX.

Based on the UA-25EX specs, I'm also assuming you're either using USB or optical to receive an digital audio signal from your PC. In such instances, I would think the signal would be clean, but there's a reason or two I can think of why this isn't so. First, your UA-25EX isn't as silent as you think. Listening with headphones on external soundcards usually make this more transparent and pronounced because it's closer to your ear and even more pronounced with better headphones. The other reason being your USB cable is picking up noise when you're doing USB out from your motherboard. If you're using USB out instead of digital out, you could be picking up static noise emitted from your GPU when running a game, hence, you only hear it when gaming or starting a game in your case. Optical (digital out) might be worth trying instead to see if it changes anything.

But really, if it's only happening when starting a game and not while your playing, I wouldn't be concerned about it unless intrusive while gaming.

VLEXP

Basic Desktop Questions]
•currently have a samsung laptop cant really run anything on it.

•Budget: I'm going to say $1200. Located in the US

•Main Use: Just will mainly use for gaming and watching movies, some basic school work here and there,

•Monitor Resolution: I need a monitor inlcuded with this, would like 1080ps that can handle 60fps or more.

•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Need to run games such as witcher 3 and watch dogs at 60fps 1080p nad FL studio

•Looking to reuse any parts?: what? no

•When will you build?: asap

•Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

mkenyon

Banned
Basic Desktop Questions]
•currently have a samsung laptop cant really run anything on it.

•Budget: I'm going to say $1200. Located in the US

•Main Use: Just will mainly use for gaming and watching movies, some basic school work here and there,

•Monitor Resolution: I need a monitor inlcuded with this, would like 1080ps that can handle 60fps or more.

•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Need to run games such as witcher 3 and watch dogs at 60fps 1080p nad FL studio

•Looking to reuse any parts?: what? no

•When will you build?: asap

•Will you be overclocking?: Maybe
You'll want the "Great" build, upgrade the GPU to a GTX 760 or 280x. Upgrade the PSU to one of the 500-600W units. Get a VG248QE monitor, or one of the IPS displays if you don't play competitive games too often.

Not entirely myth. CPU is responsible for feeding GPU draw instructions, if CPU is that bad GPU performance is erratic

Hmmm. Well at the moment I'm using a i7 870 combined with a GTX 670. It does ok, can run most things at 1920x1200 with mostly high settings, but it can struggle at times. Particularly noticeable (as I play a lot of driving sims) is the way the performance tanks on large grids of vehicles - could that be an indication of the CPU struggling? I guess it's mostly due to the additional geometry being rendered on screen... which is GPU...?

Overclocking is a no-go as I'm on a small mini-itx board in a small case and it already runs warmer than average. Would it make sense to upgrade to a Haswell i7 at this point? I can't imagine the i7 870 lasting (at stock speed) all the way through this generation of games. Are we anticipating a massive CPU revolution any time soon? Seems kinda stagnant... which is why I'm wondering if it's worth waiting any longer.
Looking for few opinions on this please :)

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Damn, if I had known a gtx 750ti was so much better than a 650, I would have upgraded a year ago. It's great being able to play Last Light and AssCreed 4 maxed out.

mkenyon

Banned
Looking for few opinions on this please :)
You should upgrade. The low heat on Haswell makes it an amazing processor for ITX, assuming you want to continue with that route. Check out my SFF guide (third post) if you want to get started in that direction.

Your games should run much smoother with a 4670K or 4770K @ 4.0-4.2 GHz.

llClickll

Banned
You should upgrade. The low heat on Haswell makes it an amazing processor for ITX, assuming you want to continue with that route. Check out my SFF guide (third post) if you want to get started in that direction.

Umm... Haswell is known to run hot when overclocked unless you delid it.

mkenyon

Banned
Umm... Haswell is known to run hot when overclocked unless you delid it.
The processor running hot =/= case running hot. The case is only going to be heated up by the total wattage in heat that the processor creates.

For example, a processor running at 82C @ 75W will create less ambient heat than a processor running at 40C @ 150W.

Hard to wrap your brain around at first for sure.

My case is a Silverstone SG07, so pretty much the smallest you can get away with a full size GPU. I've been looking at the 4770, but wary of overclocking in such a small case. I've seen all sorts of crazy watercooled mods for the SG07/08 but it looks like a nightmare. The 670 I have isn't ideal either, as it's an ASUS DirectCUII rather than the reference design that vents out the back - a lot of heat is being pushed around the case.

I guess the difference in price between a 4770 and a 4770K is not much, and I might as well get a decent motherboard to give myself the option to overclock if I'm feeling brave...

mkenyon

Banned
You can very likely push it to 4.0GHz without even touching the voltage. There's a number of great heatsinks you could use as well that will fit no problem as well. The only limitation you have to worry about is it being lower than 117mm, and not spilling over into the GPU space. The CM Gemini series would work well. Noctua and Prolimatech have a few similar heatsinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom