• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

Whups, I added it again. 990€. Still ok...ish. :)

http://www.hardwareversand.de - Idealo tells me it's one of the cheapest for many components and not paying 7€ shipping costs for every component is nice. To the rest of your feedback - I have no idea what you're talking about. I'll maybe try that overclocking thing down the line but for now I just want to enter the Gaming PC world safely. CM 690 was recommended on another website that actually builds the PC for you and offers support, for 200€ extra. :\ - http://www.mifcom.de/product/1159/1...c/pc-system-core-i5-4570---gtx760.html?config

Overclockable
5gro55b.jpg

Not overclockable

LilJoka

Thanks! Don't you like the CM 690? It just looked the least offensive from what the other site was offering. If you know a better (more subtle, cooler) case, I'd love to know.

No need to go that big anymore, and also there is a lot of plastic on it which tends to look tacky as time goes by.

TJ08E is a nice sleek design that isnt Lian Li prices imo.

Bilix

So I got one of the new modmics the other day and was super excited. However, the quality was complete crap on my onboard card. I tested it on my bro's computer which has a Sound Blaster Z and it works just fine. Was hoping that I could just buy the Xonar and be all set since I don't have a lot of cash these days. Please tell me I don't have to shell out for a SB Z!!

Addnan

Thanks! Don't you like the CM 690? It just looked the least offensive from what the other site was offering. If you know a better (more subtle, cooler) case, I'd love to know.

If you like the 690 go for it. I have it in white and it's a good case. It's in the OP too. Can't go wrong with it if you like the looks of it. The usual ones people here go for is the define r4 or arc midi r2.

oti

Banned
Overclockable

Not overclockable

Oh wow thank you so much! So the OC version is a bit over my budget, but it would be worth it right?

No need to go that big anymore, and also there is a lot of plastic on it which tends to look tacky as time goes by.

TJ08E is a nice sleek design that isnt Lian Li prices imo.

As I said before, it just wasn't the most awful thing on there. It's not a beauty that's for sure. This here looks cool, but how can all that stuff fit in there?

2564_3.jpg

If you like the 690 go for it. I have it in white and it's a good case. It's in the OP too. Can't go wrong with it if you like the looks of it. The usual ones people here go for is the define r4 or arc midi r2.

Thank you! I'll check them out as well.

Rafy

Thanks for the explanation. So.. this is ready for overclocking? But for that I'd need additional fans right? Again, I won't try that out at the beginning.

So how is this PC holding up PC-Gaf? Can this replace PS4/Xbox One for the next couple of years? Again, first ever gaming PC for me. (You could also use Wiis as the units to tell me how powerful this thing is.)

i2hpXXf.jpg

See if you can find the XFX Core Edition 550w Pro Series PSU, they usually go for the same price as the one you mentioned but they are better in quality.

LilJoka

Oh wow thank you so much! So the OC version is a bit over my budget, but it would be worth it right?

As I said before, it just wasn't the most awful thing on there. It's not a beauty that's for sure. This here looks cool, but how can all that stuff fit in there?

Thank you! I'll check them out as well.

Yeah itll fit in a Phenom M. Phenom M is a nice case too, issues it has is that the front is a soft matte type material which fingerprints up really quickly and cable management isnt the best. The TJ08 has an aluminium front panel. Both cases are good though.

mkenyon

Banned
So I got one of the new modmics the other day and was super excited. However, the quality was complete crap on my onboard card. I tested it on my bro's computer which has a Sound Blaster Z and it works just fine. Was hoping that I could just buy the Xonar and be all set since I don't have a lot of cash these days. Please tell me I don't have to shell out for a SB Z!!
Did you try adjusting your input device quality? Generally it is set really low by default. Go for the highest quality setting you can.

If that still isn't good enough, the Xonar would be great.

Josman

So what's the consensus on HP monitors? I don't want to cheap out on this part, monitors can make or break how classy a setup looks like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Business...9855?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item2ed12a350f

I can get this ultra thin one for around $200 (I'm from Mexico, it's cheap believe me), and it looks really sleek but I don't know how acceptable 12ms is for gaming, any thoughts or suggestions?

Edit: oh and thanks to the users who responded me about the hyper 212 evo, I love this thread, my first gaming PC is coming along nicely, kudos to everyone!

Ryman

Okay, pretty close to finalizing my build. My questions are whether my power supply is sufficient, taking into account I will be overclocking my CPU; and, is the mobo I have selected okay? I'll add a SSD at some later date, but not right now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3I9xd

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3I9xd
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3I9xd/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3I9xd/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($240.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $820.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-11 21:03 EDT-0400)

Rafy

Okay, pretty close to finalizing my build. My questions are whether my power supply is sufficient, taking into account I will be overclocking my CPU; and, is the mobo I have selected okay? I'll add a SSD at some later date, but not right now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3I9xd

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3I9xd
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3I9xd/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3I9xd/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($240.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $820.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-11 21:03 EDT-0400)
The mobo's fine, go with the extreme 4 if you can afford it though. The only thing I'd change is the PSU, go either for an Antec, Seasonic or XFX

Tabasco

I just got a BSOD while playing L4D2 and using the Steam overlay to play music from a YouTube video.

Should I just call it quits with this machine now?

oti

Banned
Overclockable
5gro55b.jpg

I think I'll go with this one here. I'll buy a SSD at a later point and maybe sell that mouse, I'll be playing with my DS3 or buy a DS4 for that next-gen feeling.

Although I'll get this case instead. It looks nicer and it's cheaper.

cJ6VANp.jpg

kennah

Don't skip the SSD now. Get the hard drive later. It's a bigger pain in the ass to add an SSD later than it is to add a hard drive. Just install less games.

oti

Banned
Don't skip the SSD now. Get the hard drive later. It's a bigger pain in the ass to add an SSD later than it is to add a hard drive. Just install less games.

Oh, ok. Will do, Man, every single day I hear new things and tricks and rules about PCs. That's so confusing.

kennah

SSD now = you install windows on it and just plug in and format the hard drive later.

Hdd now = installing windows and then reinstalling windows again when you get the SSD.

But yeah. You are learning a lot :)

Meteorain

Welp my mobo is giving me problems. The rear-usb slots are just not working.

I've tried a whole bunch of things, but to no avail:

• Turn PC ON and OFF
  • Disable and Enable the USB's in Device Manager
  • Update my drivers
  • Uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers
  • Make sure it's enabled in the BIOS
  • Disabled Selective Suspend

I think there's just a physical problem with the mobo. I was using it no problem about a month and a half ago, then stopped it using for about a month and when I booted it up again it just would not detect anything when plugged in.

Now I want to know if I can still RMA it, since I've had it for less than a year. It's a Gigabyte and unfortunately I've not heard some great things about trying to get support for their items in the UK.

LordAlu

Welp my mobo is giving me problems. The rear-usb slots are just not working.

I've tried a whole bunch of things, but to no avail:

• Turn PC ON and OFF
  • Disable and Enable the USB's in Device Manager
  • Update my drivers
  • Uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers
  • Make sure it's enabled in the BIOS
  • Disabled Selective Suspend

I think there's just a physical problem with the mobo. I was using it no problem about a month and a half ago, then stopped it using for about a month and when I booted it up again it just would not detect anything when plugged in.

Now I want to know if I can still RMA it, since I've had it for less than a year. It's a Gigabyte and unfortunately I've not heard some great things about trying to get support for their items in the UK.
Gigabyte isn't too bad in the UK. Just contact your retailer and ask them to RMA it so they can test it. When they get it they should test it and confirm it's not working (and that it isn't by any user damage) and then they'll send it off to Gigabyte who will repair or replace it and send it back.

LilJoka

I think I'll go with this one here. I'll buy a SSD at a later point and maybe sell that mouse, I'll be playing with my DS3 or buy a DS4 for that next-gen feeling.

Although I'll get this case instead. It looks nicer and it's cheaper.

Bitfenix shinobi is a good case too, but it is ATX, so its humungous compared to a mATX design case. Corsair 350D is another option. Reason they are slightly more expensive is because they use aluminium front panels rather than plastic.

Zaru

Hey guys, got some questions about the Xeon 1230v3.
Not into overclocking so I'm not considering that aspect here.

First of all, I've compared some benchmarks and the Xeon seems to be the favorable option compared to the i5 4670 since it has pretty much equal gaming performance in current games and the HT seems to be useful for other software and future games. Is there any particular reason to go with the 4670 if I'm willing to pay the slightly higher price?

As far as cooling is concerned (I can get around 30 degrees room temperature in summer), a Coolermaster Hyper T4 or 212 Evo should be more than enough, right? I read that the boxed one is probably too loud so I want to get a bigger one.

Any particular mainboard that is optimal for the 1230v3 without requiring SLI or overclocking?

Thanks in advance

LilJoka

Hey guys, got some questions about the Xeon 1230v3.
Not into overclocking so I'm not considering that aspect here.

First of all, I've compared some benchmarks and the Xeon seems to be the favorable option compared to the i5 4670 since it has pretty much equal gaming performance in current games and the HT seems to be useful for other software and future games. Is there any particular reason to go with the 4670 if I'm willing to pay the slightly higher price?

As far as cooling is concerned (I can get around 30 degrees room temperature in summer), a Coolermaster Hyper T4 or 212 Evo should be more than enough, right? I read that the boxed one is probably too loud so I want to get a bigger one.

Any particular mainboard that is optimal for the 1230v3 without requiring SLI or overclocking?

Thanks in advance

Yeah its equal, and no dont get the 4670, as the E3 is equivalent of the 4770 expect 200Mhz slower. TDP on the Xeon is 4W less and being a Xeon they run the top silicon which usually has less leakage, meaning they run a lot cooler, so a Hyper 212 will be fine.

I wonder if the Xeon has soldered heat spreader compared to 4770k, because that would be nice for temps. Also remember the Xeon doesnt have an integrated GPU.

As for the motherboard, anything will do, just double check the manufacturers page to make sure the CPU is listed as compatible. Also if its only compatible after a vertian Bios Version, and the board arrives with an older Bios version you may need an old chip to update the bios. Asus have a USB flashback utility which doesnt always need a CPU installed (as long as the BIOS -> CAP conversion is already done).

oti

Banned
Could I buy the Gainward GeForce GTX 770, 2GB DDR5 instead of the GeForce GTX 780 OC, 3GB GDDR5? Would the difference be that noticeable? I don't want to play on multiple displays (just my TV actually) and graphics should still be nice, right? It's 140€ cheaper. :O

kennah

It's up to you. I personally can't recommend a 770 because it annoys me that a two year old card is still being sold as new.

Akai__

Bad news kennah. Turned my PC on, picture was like this:

So far, I've tried:

- reinstall drivers (newest AMD drivers, non beta)
- reseat GPU
- using a different PCI slot
- an other DVI, HDMI and VGA cable

Anything else, I can try or is it dead? :'(

LilJoka

Could I buy the Gainward GeForce GTX 770, 2GB DDR5 instead of the GeForce GTX 780 OC, 3GB GDDR5? Would the difference be that noticeable? I don't want to play on multiple displays (just my TV actually) and graphics should still be nice, right? It's 140€ cheaper. :O

Get the 780 itll be worth in the long term. Also its a good idea to have 3GB VRAM now, if you really cant get the 780 get one of the AMD equivalents of the 770 with 3GB VRAM.

oti

Banned
Get the 780 itll be worth in the long term. Also its a good idea to have 3GB VRAM now, if you really cant get the 780 get one of the AMD equivalents of the 770 with 3GB VRAM.

Why? I could also get the cheaper now, upgrade in a few years and sell the old one right?

General question: Which card would you generally recommend for someone who wants to play games like Watch Dogs with nice graphics but doesn't need anything eye melting. As far as I can see the 770 is not that better than 780 (at least for my intended purposes). Heck, could the 750 or even the GTX 560 Ti be ok? So confused.

riflen

I'd say if you're playing on a TV (assuming a 1920x1080 panel) and €140 is substantial enough an amount of money to you that you even ask the question, the 780 is probably not worth it. You cannot observe a frame-rate above 60fps on the TV, and the 770 should get you there or close to it mostly in current games.

However, I warn you that the chip used by the 770 has been around for over 2 years now. It will be superceded before very long by the 870, probably sold at around the same price with better all round performance. If you're expecting this GPU to last you years, it might be worth waiting, as this chip is in its twilight days.

If you're the kind of person that gets upset that what they've bought is overtaken a few months later, then wait until the next big computer show at the start of June. Something might be announced, or leaked soon after. If there's no sign of the 800 series by then, they're probably not arriving until autumn or even later and you can revisit your options.

If you don't care about that, then the 770 or maybe the 280x could be OK for you.

Damian.

Banned
Bought a Sager laptop with 16GB of RAM and they configured it in single channel mode, I opened up the top half of the underside and could only access one of the 8GB sticks so I changed it to the other slot. Rebooted and am now in Dual Channel mode, but slots 2 and 3 are being used, I am used to only having 1/3 or 2/4 configurations. Will this cause issues?

oti

Banned
If you don't care about that, then the 770 or maybe the 280x could be OK for you.

Thank you so much for your answer! I don't mind being outdated to be honest. I'm just arguing with myself whether even the 770 would be a bit too much for my needs. Also I thought Nvidia was the way to go due to some partnerships with publishers. Watch Dogs for instance.
Is there maybe like a REALLY good older card that's still performing really well now and for the foreseeable future? Like an evergreen card or something? I mean Ubisoft also mentions the Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti for Watch Dogs. It's the first time I hear about that card but it's kinda expensive (still?)

riflen

Thank you so much for your answer! I don't mind being outdated to be honest. I'm just arguing with myself whether even the 770 would be a bit too much for my needs. Also I thought Nvidia was the way to go due to some partnerships with publishers. Watch Dogs for instance.
Is there maybe like a REALLY good older card that's still performing really well now and for the foreseeable future? Like an evergreen card or something? I mean Ubisoft also mentions the Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti for Watch Dogs. It's the first time I hear about that card but it's kinda expensive (still?)

GPUs can have weird pricing as they age. They will often stay at stupid prices until the stock is gone because they are supply-constrained. Forget the 560Ti, the 770 stomps all over it:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/858?vs=829

If the price of the 770 is a little too much for you, then the 760 is also an option and currently provides the best price/performance ratio in Nvidia's range (I believe). It's around 10-15% slower than the 770.
The Watch_Dogs specs are really strange and I believe they list the 560Ti as recommended, but this is probably the GPU needed to provide a PS3/Xbox360-like experience in my opinion. That game will tax the latest GPUs.

Damian.

Banned
Also if you are comfortable with selling used equipment, a moderately large investment in a GPU is good since you can usually recoup a good chunk of the investment when selling to upgrade due to people needing your old card to do an SLI setup and little to no new stock of said card.

oti

Banned
GPUs can have weird pricing as they age. They will often stay at stupid prices until the stock is gone because they are supply-constrained. Forget the 560Ti, the 770 stomps all over it:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/858?vs=829

If the price of the 770 is a little too much for you, then the 760 is also an option and currently provides the best price/performance ratio in Nvidia's range (I believe). It's around 10-15% slower than the 770.
The Watch_Dogs specs are really strange and I believe they list the 560Ti as recommended, but this is probably the GPU needed to provide a PS3/Xbox360-like experience in my opinion. That game will tax the latest GPUs.

That's pretty dump. So... how about the 750? Cause that one is just 100€. I know other cards are better and all, but looking at my situation (with the TV as a monitor and all) maybe an ok card as well? And then an upgrade a few years later, the 780 or something after the 800 comes out.

LilJoka

That's pretty dump. So... how about the 750? Cause that one is just 100€. I know other cards are better and all, but looking at my situation (with the TV as a monitor and all) maybe an ok card as well? And then an upgrade a few years later, the 780 or something after the 800 comes out.

I use a 780 on a 720p TV setup, and when i push it to 1080p some games can suck up all its power...
Guess if your not fussed on turning all settings up then a R9 280/280X 3GB would do.

riflen

You could do this, but it would usually be best to upgrade to the lower-end 800 series. I know why you're thinking this, but GPUs don't tend to drop in price much over time, unless they're totally obsolete. Also, the equivalent 800 series GPU will almost certainly offer lower power usage and temperatures for the same performance as the 780. Unless, Nvidia decide to re-badge the 780 as 870, which is likely. It's impossible to say for certain at this point I'm afraid.

What I can say for sure is that the 750/750Ti does not come with Watch_Dogs because the card is priced too low. From the sounds of things, the 760 might be the best idea for you if you want to buy now.

oti

Banned
You could do this, but it would usually be best to upgrade to the lower-end 800 series. I know why you're thinking this, but GPUs don't tend to drop in price much over time, unless they're totally obsolete. Also, the equivalent 800 series GPU will almost certainly offer lower power usage and temperatures for the same performance as the 780. Unless, Nvidia decide to re-badge the 780 as 870, which is likely. It's impossible to say for certain at this point I'm afraid.

What I can say for sure is that the 750/750Ti does not come with Watch_Dogs because the card is priced too low. From the sounds of things, the 760 might be the best idea for you if you want to buy now.

Yeah, I saw this. :(
I could always buy Watch Dogs at a later date, playing it on my new PC with a PS4 controller right around launch sounds too good though. If it's between 770 and 760 I think I'll go with the 770, just 40€ price difference. Thank you so much for all the feedback!

riflen

It's unlikely that a potential 20nm Maxwell 870 comes out before the year is over, isn't it?

We just don't have anything concrete afaik, just some leaks that conflict. 20nm GPUs may even be sold as 900 series in 2015.

There have been a couple of vaguely credible leaks on the 880 GPU (GM204) and it seems like 28nm. I have to say, to my mind I think 20nm this year is not happening and we'll likely get 800 series at 28nm in the summer. AMD have already stated no 20nm GPUs this year and traditionally they process shrink before Nvidia. I'd like to be surprised though!

Zaru

So I take it there's nothing exciting to be expected this summer in terms of graphics cards? Because I'll probably go with a 770 then and upgrade 3 years down the line.

LilJoka

So I take it there's nothing exciting to be expected this summer in terms of graphics cards? Because I'll probably go with a 770 then and upgrade 3 years down the line.

I think 3GB VRAM is a must for 3 years into the future. Of course no evidence, but imo, every time i buy the less VRAM version i run out of VRAM lol. That puts AMD in a good position for the not so high end GPUs as they are offering more VRAM for less money.

Zaru

I think 3GB VRAM is a must for 3 years into the future. Of course no evidence, but imo, every time i buy the less VRAM version i run out of VRAM lol. That puts AMD in a good position for the not so high end GPUs as they are offering more VRAM for less money.

I'm SORT OF worried about that VRAM difference, but what would be a good AMD alternative of similar power/price? (I'm in Europe)

Bad news kennah. Turned my PC on, picture was like this:
OT, but W2361V-fist. You're the first person I "see" using this monitor too.

Please don't get me wrong, but you clearly don't know what you want. Of course, you don't have much knowledge about that hardware world, but please, put the building on ice for a week or two, and think about what you really want. Also, try to look up some reviews (benchmarks, reviews, news) on your own.
This way you'll learn alot about how this and that performs vs this and that. It's also going to be quiet interesting if you're new to all this.

Think about what you really want. A substitute to 8th gen consoles, something which performs way better than 8th gen, something future-proof. Also, how much you are really willing to spend, what you'll do with it (Only gaming? Only at 1080p?)..

Might as well jump on the r9 280, as it's the same price (if not cheaper) and offers at least the performance of an GTX760.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom