• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

excowboy

After a bit of advice - I've been gradually accumulating parts to put together a PC to go under the TV but now our TV has packed in! I've tried having it repaired but I think it's had it.

I was just wondering if anyone here has used/is using a PC monitor for your main TV? Have been looking around and I can get a 27" monitor for about the same as an equivalent sized TV, which is all we need in our lounge, but I'll get a much higher resolution and response time.

The down sides are that'll it'll need a bit more oomph from the PC (I think I can get away with that) and might make some text a bit to small to read comfortably from the sofa?! I'll be using the PC for a bit of gaming and general media stuff - streaming TV, music, photos, bit of internet etc etc

Appreciate any thoughts people might have :)

.... Not sure if serious? The i7 parts are not even 8 core anyways. They have 2 threads per core that take advantage of memory stalls. It is not the same as having 8 physical cores. Considering the other CPU listed under recommended is the AMD 8350 8 core which gets absolutely stomped by even the i5 2500k, I am more than certain the 2500k,3570k,4670k will all be more than fine.

If a game doesn't utilize a lot of cores then the i5 will perform better since it's probably faster per core. But if a game does utilize cores then the AMD 8350 might perform better.

However, I warn you that the chip used by the 770 has been around for over 2 years now. It will be superceded before very long by the 870, probably sold at around the same price with better all round performance. If you're expecting this GPU to last you years, it might be worth waiting, as this chip is in its twilight days.

This is why I need June to get here: I'm building at some point in August/September and need to know whether I actually want to wait on buying the GPU at all.

xBladeM6x

I never learned the terminology, but when it comes to GPU fans, what are the two types? Like, the one that blows air out of the case, and the one that blows it into the case. And which one is preferred among the general population now?

Akai__

OT, but W2361V-fist. You're the first person I "see" using this monitor too.

I bought it 3 years ago and it was basically free. Never had problems with it. :)

Looks like bad GPU memory. Could also be a bad port/pin connection on your cable / jack.

Okay. Was hoping for a software issue, but this is probably not fixable...

but it needs 8 cores

It also needs 8GB GDDR5 RAM for 1080p/60FPS :p

Smokey

Since this gets posted just about every page, I wanted to make it known how confident I am in the 2500K/3570K/4670K.

If any of those processors has trouble with Watch Dogs, getting even 10% reduced performance compared to an i7 of the same series, I will give away a Matrix 7970 to someone on GAF.

Oh you feeling bold now lol

Widdla

Neo Member
I'm really having a hard time finding a monitor I like for my new PC.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Excellent resolution and picture quality. I want the colors to pop and the text to be sharp as hell. I'm spoiled by the retina display on my Macbook Pro.

2) Great response for gaming-- so good refresh rate and all that.

3) Size around 20", 24" tops.

4)Budget of $300-$400

I tried the Philips Brilliance 242G5DJEB. It had great response, but the picture quality was weak. Text looked terrible, the black levels were really bad and lighting across the entire display was inconsistent.

Looked at the ASUS VG248QE, but the color/text was really weak compared to the ASUS PA248Q. But the PA248Q only has a 60hz/6ms response time.

Anyone have suggestions?

kennah

I bought it 3 years ago and it was basically free. Never had problems with it. :)

Okay. Was hoping for a software issue, but this is probably not fixable...

It also needs 8GB GDDR5 RAM for 1080p/60FPS :p
Yeah looks like bad ram. Rip friend :(
pm me the serial number, I'll see if it is still under warranty

yatesl

10 months later, I'm getting the itch to build another PC (or, should I say, struggling to ignore the itch that started 9 months ago).

Someone think of a justification for spending money on a whole new PC. I'm thinking "XBMC box!", but I already have a Sony bluray player that can connect to it via UPnP

10 months later, I'm getting the itch to build another PC (or, should I say, struggling to ignore the itch that started 9 months ago).

Someone think of a justification for spending money on a whole new PC. I'm thinking "XBMC box!", but I already have a Sony bluray player that can connect to it via UPnP

Steam Machine to stream games from your main PC to the livingroom?

mkenyon

Banned
If a game doesn't utilize a lot of cores then the i5 will perform better since it's probably faster per core. But if a game does utilize cores then the AMD 8350 might perform better.
In raw FPS, perhaps. But it'll still have chuggy frame latency spikes because the IPC is about as fast as a Steamroller.
Oh you feeling bold now lol
One Superbowl victory and now I'm king of the world.

Start putting the parts together for a secondary gaming rig so you can start watercooling without fear of being out a PC for a week or so.

riflen

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3HGVl

I posted about it in this thread some pages ago.

The odd thing is, it's only a 2 year old PC. Every time I use it I just pray that nothing strange happens, lol.

I don't have the cash for a new PC, and selling the parts individually is going to take time and I don't have a laptop or something to use in the meantime.

You need to meet people half way if you want help. Just posting "I have blue screen crashes." is making others do all the work.

The crash screen will have important information. First configure Windows to not reboot when it faults, so you can note down the info.
Press Windows key and X > System > Advanced system settings > Start-up and Recovery > Settings > System failure > uncheck Automatically restart.

It almost goes without saying that if you're over-clocking any system components, return them to their normal clock speed while you're testing.
When the crash happens again, note it down or take a photo and post it.

I'm really having a hard time finding a monitor I like for my new PC.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Excellent resolution and picture quality. I want the colors to pop and the text to be sharp as hell. I'm spoiled by the retina display on my Macbook Pro.

2) Great response for gaming-- so good refresh rate and all that.

3) Size around 20", 24" tops.

4)Budget of $300-$400

I tried the Philips Brilliance 242G5DJEB. It had great response, but the picture quality was weak. Text looked terrible, the black levels were really bad and lighting across the entire display was inconsistent.

Looked at the ASUS VG248QE, but the color/text was really weak compared to the ASUS PA248Q. But the PA248Q only has a 60hz/6ms response time.

Anyone have suggestions?

Normally you pick or the higher than 60Hz refresh rate or the good picture quality. There are few monitors that have both. You have an Ezio monitor, the FG2421, but that is a lot above your budget, the only other option is to get one of those Korean monitors that is overclockable. I think Qnix has one that was pretty good with that?

But then you need to pick a version with only a Displayport input and no OSD, because I think the other ones are not overclockable.

Akai__

I never learned the terminology, but when it comes to GPU fans, what are the two types? Like, the one that blows air out of the case, and the one that blows it into the case. And which one is preferred among the general population now?

Every GPU blows air out of the case. What matters, is the way the GPU does it. Non reference models are using Nvidia's or AMD's in house built fans, which mostly perform worse, than 3rd party made fans/coolers from companies like Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA etc. 3rd party coolers run more silent and more cool, than those reference models and are sometimes clocked at higher frequencies.

Did I explain that somewhat understandable? If not, feel free to ask.

Yeah looks like bad ram. Rip friend :(
pm me the serial number, I'll see if it is still under warranty

Okay, will do, when I get home.

Rafy

AMD to Launch New Single-GPU Card This Summer, to Take on GTX 780 Ti

Hoping to see something at Computex from AMD and NV in early June. Must have new videocard.

A member of the LTT forums emailed AMD and according to their reply, I wouldn't hold my breath. Below is the screenshot of the email:
NobBL8U.png

xBladeM6x

Every GPU blows air out of the case. What matters, is the way the GPU does it. Non reference models are using Nvidia's or AMD's in house built fans, which mostly perform worse, than 3rd party made fans/coolers from companies like Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA etc. 3rd party coolers run more silent and more cool, than those reference models and are sometimes clocked at higher frequencies.

Did I explain that somewhat understandable? If not, feel free to ask.

Okay, will do, when I get home.
Mostly, but for example, I've been told that ACX coolers blow the hot air into the case, not out the back. I'm wondering if this creates a problem with cooling with everything else?

The Llama

Fun story: When I was in college I drunkenly bought a 3870x2 off Newegg (on sale) because I thought it was a 4870x2 and I was getting an amazing deal. Was still a solid upgrade on my 7600GT, but still...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mostly, but for example, I've been told that ACX coolers blow the hot air into the case, not out the back. I'm wondering if this creates a problem with cooling with everything else?
Blower coolers are shitttttttttttttttt

Who cares if the rest of your stuff in your case is like 4C hotter, it's louder and the thing that makes graphix go fast is hotter.

In any current case that has 2 or 3 fans and isn't like ITX/mATX (even then it's fine) there's no reason for it.
So I opened up my computer and I see that I have an 8 pin PCI-E and my old video card is actually a HD 4870. So if I buy a R7 260X will it work? Or what would I need to make it work?

Edit: My power supply is an Antec EA 650
Fine
Wanted to let the thread know about this deal:

Corsair RM650 Fully Modular Gold PSU
~65$ after coupons and rebate

http://slickdeals.net/f/6925636-cor...unit-56-ac-ar-boa-cb-free-shipping-with-sr-ic

Just ordered one for myself. My XFX 550 is either going on ebay or to a friend lol. Couldn't resist the fully modular and Gold rating. Plus that fanless operation. I am very disappointed in how not-quiet my R4 is. Maybe it's because I got the window version..
Hope TigerDirect doesn't screw you over, gl

http://slickdeals.net/f/6925636-cor...unit-56-ac-ar-boa-cb-free-shipping-with-sr-ic

Just ordered one for myself. My XFX 550 is either going on ebay or to a friend lol. Couldn't resist the fully modular and Gold rating. Plus that fanless operation. I am very disappointed in how not-quiet my R4 is. Maybe it's because I got the window version..

Holy shit thank you! I was just about to post about my flaky PSU and ask for recommendations.

edit: Just like my PSU this deal is flaky. I signed up for the coupon, clicked the link in email. When I added the coupon on the item page, it removed my $15 off and when I tried to reapply it, they told me that I couldn't use it because it was already used. -____-

I'm gonna give up on that deal. Any recommendations on a good PSU. Honestly, bang for buck is key for me, but I'm willing to spend around $150. I don't necessarily care about modular cables but I do like high efficiency; 80 plat would be ideal. It'll be powering my rig below.

4670k @ 4.4 ghz 1.23v
GTX 780ti
8gb 1866 ram
DVD drive, 1 SSD, 1 HDD

xBladeM6x

Blower coolers are shitttttttttttttttt

Who cares if the rest of your stuff in your case is like 4C hotter, it's louder and the thing that makes graphix go fast is hotter.

So what you're saying, is to always go for ACX / 3rd party fans. Right? Also, can anyone recommend a relatively huge black table for x3 27'' monitors to fit on? I can't seem to find shit that would work for that. >->

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Holy shit thank you! I was just about to post about my flaky PSU and ask for recommendations.

edit: Just like my PSU this deal is flaky. I signed up for the coupon, clicked the link in email. When I added the coupon on the item page, it removed my $15 off and when I tried to reapply it, they told me that I couldn't use it because it was already used. -____-

I'm gonna give up on that deal. Any recommendations on a good PSU. Honestly, bang for buck is key for me, but I'm willing to spend around $150. I don't necessarily care about modular cables but I do like high efficiency; 80 plat would be ideal. It'll be powering my rig below.

4670k @ 4.4 ghz 1.23v
GTX 780ti
8gb 1866 ram
DVD drive, 1 SSD, 1 HDD
If I didnt have an assignment due I'd check for ya.
Look at whatever 80+Gold / Plat units are on sale and cross refernce [H], HardwareSecrets, and JonnyGuru. Can't go wrong with those reviews on PSUs.
So what you're saying, is to always go for ACX / 3rd party fans. Right? Also, can anyone recommend a relatively huge black table for x3 27'' monitors to fit on? I can't seem to find shit that would work for that. >->
Yup.
Don't know on table, that's half my room.

Ashhong

4670k @ 4.4 ghz 1.23v
GTX 780ti
8gb 1866 ram
DVD drive, 1 SSD, 1 HDD

Huh, that's weird. I clicked the link in my email and then it just automatically applied to my page.

I have an XFX Pro 550w Bronze for sale once this new one comes in. PM me if interested

Hope TigerDirect doesn't screw you over, gl

Done about 6 transactions with them over the past month for my new PC and no issues yet *knocks on wood*

border

I have an Core i5-2300.

I have a Dell XPS system and case. I do not want to upgrade the power supply unit.

What is my best choice for a new video card?

There was a lot off buzz around the Geforce 750 Ti earlier this year. It seems like a good contender since you apparently don't even need to plug it in to external power.

What kind of performance should I expect? I don't care about the mega high-end games. I would mostly just like to run console ports at 1080p and 60fps.

If I get the 750 Ti, would it work with G-Sync monitors?

Thanks a lot gonna give it a try.

Edit: Well it was all going ok until i got to the email part. This is what i got "Sorry! The discount link you are using is no longer valid or has already been used." Thanks for the heads up anyways.

Tablo

I have an Core i5-2300.

I have a Dell XPS system and case. I do not want to upgrade the power supply unit.

What is my best choice for a new video card?

There was a lot off buzz around the Geforce 750 Ti earlier this year. It seems like a good contender since you apparently don't even need to plug it in to external power.

What kind of performance should I expect? I don't care about the mega high-end games. I would mostly just like to run console ports at 1080p and 60fps.

If I get the 750 Ti, would it work with G-Sync monitors?
Get the 750 Ti, make sure you get one with a Displayport. Should work with Gsync.

Ashhong

Thanks a lot gonna give it a try.

Edit: Well it was all going ok until i got to the email part. This is what i got "Sorry! The discount link you are using is no longer valid or has already been used." Thanks for the heads up anyways.

That's weird, two people in a row now. When you click on the link to tigerdirect, you guys put in your email address right? At that point it should send you an email to that address with a link to their site, and the coupon will automatically apply. I did it with 2 different emails, one of which I created just for this.

border

Get the 750 Ti, make sure you get one with a Displayport. Should work with Gsync.

I don't know if this is something anyone would know offhand, but what is the smallest variant of the 750 Ti? I forgot to mention it in my original post, but while the Dell case is probably spacious compared to many other prebuilt systems, I do think there's a danger that a decent aftermarket card might not fit.

Widdla

Neo Member
Normally you pick or the higher than 60Hz refresh rate or the good picture quality. There are few monitors that have both. You have an Ezio monitor, the FG2421, but that is a lot above your budget, the only other option is to get one of those Korean monitors that is overclockable. I think Qnix has one that was pretty good with that?

But then you need to pick a version with only a Displayport input and no OSD, because I think the other ones are not overclockable.

Thanks. I went with the better picture quality and got the Asus PA248Q (this review pretty much sold me: http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/zardon/asus-pa248q-proart-monitor-review/6/

This thing is seriously gorgeous. Based on my time with it so far, it's everything I was looking for. It doesn't have the 120hz refresh rate or the 1ms response time (it's 72hz/5ms) but I just tried out Metro Last Light and Bioshock Infinite and they were both jaw-dropping. I play more Skyrim type stuff than Battlefield anyway, so high picture quality is more important than lightning fast response time to me.

Running into some weird issues running movies, though. Movies playing through iTunes have a lot of screen tearing, and movies playing through VLC lose their color and display a gray screen every 20-40 seconds or so. Windows Media Player seems to be handling them okay so far, but I'm not sure why iTunes and VLC are giving me problems.

I gonna build a new machine: i5-4670k + Asus Maximus VI Hero + Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 MHz.

On GPU side, I'm between a EVGA GTX 760 Superclocked or a GTX 770 Superclocked (2GB).

The 770 really worth the $90-$100 difference for the boost on graphic performance?

Defyler

I don't know if this is something anyone would know offhand, but what is the smallest variant of the 750 Ti? I forgot to mention it in my original post, but while the Dell case is probably spacious compared to many other prebuilt systems, I do think there's a danger that a decent aftermarket card might not fit.

I just put an EVGA 750 Ti FTW from newegg into a Dell xps 8700 prebuilt and it works / fits great. Love the upgrade.

I gonna build a new machine: i5-4670k + Asus Maximus VI Hero + Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 MHz.

On GPU side, I'm between a EVGA GTX 760 Superclocked or a GTX 770 Superclocked (2GB).

The 770 really worth the $90-$100 difference for the boost on graphic performance?

Depends. If you're at 1080p it wouldn't be worth it IMO. I had a 760 and it ran most things at max settings at a solid framerate.

Tablo

Get the EVGA super clocked one.

longdi

Banned

I got the EVGA SC 750Ti, pretty well packed and built, it has an all black theme fyi, it overclocks up to 30% faster than based Nvidia specs without needing a separate power cable! Fan stays around 45%, not noisy imo. Yeah, conclusion is, i am happy with the purchase.

Crap facebook quality shots, but the build is finally almost done

10291075_10154155935465525_1827520374162277435_n.jpg

i7 4770K
16BG crucial ballistix
2TB WD Black
Fractal design define R4
Seasonic 650w PSU
And for the time being, jsut reusing mt 560Ti 2GB until i can afford a 780

That feel when i can now max Red Orchestra 2 at constant 60fps :D

the_id

Hey guys, how long do you think this system would last me? Thinking of investing in a good powerful PC that could last me several years.

Motherboard: ASUS Z87-WS Intel Z87 DDR3 LGA1150 WorkStation Motherboard
CPU: Intel Haswell Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz 8MB LGA1150
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM: Mushkin Blackline FrostByte 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 (997069)
Hard Disk: Western Digital Caviar Black2 WD1001X06XDTL Dual Drive (120GB SSD + 1TB HDD) SATA3 6GB/s

Blu-ray: ASUS BW-16D1HT Pro 16X Blu-Ray Writer

Graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX780Ti Classified 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0 (03G-P4-2888-KR)
EVGA GeForce GTX780Ti Classified 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0 (03G-P4-2888-KR)

Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Case Window Edition - Gun Metal
PSU: Corsair RM Series RM1000 1000W Fully Modular PSU 80Plus Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom