• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohasus

Win Key + x > Command Prompt (Admin) > sfc /scannow

Looks like you might have missing / out of date DLLs somewhere.

I tried that, everything is alright.

A clean boot did, however, as soon as I open steam and the steam service is running, the problem comes back.

Thorgal

Today i decided to try to overclock my 780 ti classified again and i think i am running stable at these settings and am quite happy with the performance .

naamloos1ekh8.png

zsab4vntnkkk.png

I t revs up to 90 % GPU usage but temps never go higher then 80 °C .

Feel free to comment or i give advice .

LilJoka

Today i decided to try to overclock my 780 ti classified again and i think i am running stable at these settings and am quite happy with the performance .

naamloos1ekh8.png

zsab4vntnkkk.png

I t revs up to 90 % GPU usage but temps never go higher then 80 °C .

Feel free to comment or i give advice .

Your probably hitting the Power Limit, need BIOS mod so that it doesnt hamper your overclock.

LilJoka

Thorgal

Youll find the best support here for it
http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia-video-cards/3632-nvidia-gtx-700-series-modified-vbios.html

It can brick your card so you need to be confident in what you are doing and making sure you have the right Bios and if its compatible with your GPU.

If you want top benchmark scores this is the solution. I think for games the extra heat is not worth it.

I am not looking for top benchmarks , so i feel i should not bother with this then .

Also i think the biggest disadvantage i have right now when it comes to performance is the fact that my CPU is not overclock- able.

Sykotik

I'm looking to move into 120hz+ gaming. Anyone have any advice on that subject, or does the OP still have solid info on that matter? I'd like to keep the price around $500 if possible, as well.

bro1

Banned
Just finalized my gaming PC.

Qnix 1440P monitor
Corsair 540 Case
3570K @ 4.2ghz
EVGA Classified GTX 780ti
SSDs, HDD, etc

Not pictured is my 1080P Asus 144hz monitor which is still back in my old place. I'm going to be using this PC as a HTPC/Steam Big Picture box as my family is relocating to Chicago and I am squeezing us into an apartment for 2 years until we figure out where we want to buy a house again. Hoping this PC will last that long without having to upgrade. If I decide to play at 1080P, I'm sure I'll be in good shape.

xBladeM6x

I'm considering this build, and loving the way it looks.

CPU: i7-3770k (Already Owned)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB 1600 (Already Owned)

CPU FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard OR ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA1155
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD x2
HDD: Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB ACX x2 SLI OR EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 6GB ACX (Whenever it's released)
CASE: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower
PSU: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX

Edit: I'm aware some of this isn't "cost effective", and there's likely cheaper alternatives, but would still like opinions on build quality.

kharma45

I'm considering this build, and loving the way it looks.

CPU: i7-3770k (Already Owned)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB 1600 (Already Owned)

CPU FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard OR ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA1155
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD x2
HDD: Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB ACX x2 SLI
CASE: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower
PSU: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX

Edit: I'm aware some of this isn't "cost effective", and there's likely cheaper alternatives, but would still like opinions on build quality.

Don't get the Extreme4. The ASUS P8Z77-V LK is a better buy.

1200w is a bit overkill too. You can still get quality and sufficient wattage for less.

shawnhi

Alright, guys, need some tech help here. Built my first PC last month. Every once in a while, when I shutdown or restart, I'll have a hell of a time getting it to turn back on. When it's powering back on or restarting, all of the fans and case lights will power on, power off, power on, power off, then power on and stay on. However, my monitor does not receive a signal and says it's in sleep mode, keyboard and mouse input do not wake it up, and the power button does nothing. Then, I'll have to do some weird shit to finally get it to start back up, like unplug every connection and let it sit for a while, leave it in this "sleep" state for a good 15 - 30 mins then try to hard power down and back up, or this last time, I unplugged my monitor and plugged it back in -- then the PC restarted itself and worked fine. Any ideas on what it could be? Did unintentionally mishandle something and cause a short in my mobo? Is my power supply not good?

Specs:

Mobo: AsRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer
CPU: i5 4670k
Gfx Card: MSi R7 265
Power Supply: EVGA 600B
RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 8GB
HDD: Western Digital 1TB

P.S. I know my mix of components is slightly odd, don't give me shit, it was my first build. ;)

xBladeM6x

Don't get the Extreme4. The ASUS P8Z77-V LK is a better buy.

1200w is a bit overkill too. You can still get quality and sufficient wattage for less.
Any particular reason on the Extreme4? That ASUS mobo does look nice though. (Don't like the blue parts though. :p)

wowzors

Alright, guys, need some tech help here. Built my first PC last month. Every once in a while, when I shutdown or restart, I'll have a hell of a time getting it to turn back on. When it's powering back on or restarting, all of the fans and case lights will power on, power off, power on, power off, then power on and stay on. However, my monitor does not receive a signal and says it's in sleep mode, keyboard and mouse input do not wake it up, and the power button does nothing. Then, I'll have to do some weird shit to finally get it to start back up, like unplug every connection and let it sit for a while, leave it in this "sleep" state for a good 15 - 30 mins then try to hard power down and back up, or this last time, I unplugged my monitor and plugged it back in -- then the PC restarted itself and worked fine. Any ideas on what it could be? Did unintentionally mishandle something and cause a short in my mobo?

Check that you have the spacers on the mobo so it isn't shorting. If that's good go in the bios and turn off the power save/sleep features, sometimes they are nothing but trouble. Those two seem like the most likely culprits to me.

Try reseating your RAM also if your getting blue screens.

shawnhi

Check that you have the spacers on the mobo so it isn't shorting. If that's good go in the bios and turn off the power save/sleep features, sometimes they are nothing but trouble. Those two seem like the most likely culprits to me.

Try reseating your RAM also if your getting blue screens.
Yeah, I got the spacers on there, but I'll check them again next time it happens. I actually reseated the ram this last time it happened. I turned off all of the power saving crap in Windows 8.1, but not in the BIOS, so I'll do that right now.

Thanks for the quick tips!

wowzors

Yeah, I got the spacers on there, but I'll check them again next time it happens. I actually reseated the ram this last time it happened. I turned off all of the power saving crap in Windows 8.1, but not in the BIOS, so I'll do that right now.

Thanks for the quick tips!

One other quick thing. Seeing you have an EVGA PSU are the cables you are using the evga ones that came with it?

I ask because I had a corsair power supply previously before my evga one and used some of the corsairs cables. The cables for corsair had different ground configuration which caused constant shorts on my rig. So be sure to use the cables that came with the psu if you are not.

I have the same PSU as you with a 770 so you are fine on power. This PSU's cables are finnicky.

kharma45

Any particular reason on the Extreme4? That ASUS mobo does look nice though. (Don't like the blue parts though. :p)

Low-quality D-PAK MOSFETs, which have a tendency to overheat and wear out with high overvolts
Claiming to have a digital VRM which is actually analogue
Under-reports voltage, which can be very dangerous for your CPU
Looks like an 8-phase VRM on top, but they actually parallel them in pairs so it's only 4-phase.

xBladeM6x

Low-quality D-PAK MOSFETs, which have a tendency to overheat and wear out with high overvolts
Claiming to have a digital VRM which is actually analogue
Under-reports voltage, which can be very dangerous for your CPU
Looks like an 8-phase VRM on top, but they actually parallel them in pairs so it's only 4-phase.

Well, damn. I'm curious though, out of all these motherboards, which one do you think is the best?

Maximus V Gene
Asus P8Z77-V
Asus P8Z77-V WS
Asus P8Z77-V LK
Asus P8Z77-V PRO

Sorry for so many questions. :p

Sykotik

What do you have now?
I forgot to even mention what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a 120hz monitor.

As for my CPU/GPU I'm using i7 2600k @stock and a 7970 @1125/1575. The monitor I currently use is a HP w2408h. Very good monitor, but only 60hz.

I understand I'll hardly be able to play everything at 120fps with a single 7970, but at the very least I'll be able to see if I want to pursue it further.

Scum

kharma, heeellllppppp! I think something just died and it might be my PSU. PC just shut down on me about 20mins ago and won't come back on. :-(
Power button on the MoBo (Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H) itself is on but that's it. Nothing's alive ;_;

PC Parts

xBladeM6x

kharma, heeellllppppp! I think something just died and it might be my PSU. PC just shut down on me about 20mins ago and won't come back on. :-(
Power button on the MoBo (Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H) itself is on but that's it. Nothing's alive ;_;

PC Parts

I had this happen once, turns out a RAM stick was half in / out of the socket. Check that first. :p

kharma45

Scum, if you want to test the PSU too Google the paperclip trick for it. It does mean unplugging it all though.

Now that's a tough pick. I was almost hoping you'd just say to get the Gene. xD

Sorry! :p

I forgot to even mention what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a 120hz monitor.

As for my CPU/GPU I'm using i7 2600k @stock and a 7970 @1125/1575. The monitor I currently use is a HP w2408h. Very good monitor, but only 60hz.

I understand I'll hardly be able to play everything at 120fps with a single 7970, but at the very least I'll be able to see if I want to pursue it further.

7970 overclocked is a very potent card. Overclock that 2600K too, it's begging for it.

Once you fix it, get a refund for the SSD, scam SSD. Get a Crucial M500 or Samsung Evo instead.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6733/kingston-ssdnow-v300-review/2

Depends on when it was bought. The V300 was good before the NAND was changed.

Sykotik

7970 overclocked is a very potent card. Overclock that 2600K too, it's begging for it.

I've struggled with overclocking my 2600k, before. I think the highest stable I got was 4.1ghz, but that was years ago.

I would like to try again, but the first time was such a hassle.

kharma45

Holy shit. I just googled the paperclip trick, and that's fucking amazing. I love you.

No worries. Handy to know if you're buying a new PSU and want to test it before it all gets assembled.

I've struggled with overclocking my 2600k, before. I think the highest stable I got was 4.1ghz, but that was years ago.

I would like to try again, but the first time was such a hassle.

Even 4.1GHz will give you a noticeable boost. Shoudn't be too much of a hassle with Sandy Bridge, you're only really changing the voltage and the multiplier for most OCs.

4GHz and above is when the good times happen.

oti

Banned
Guys, do you like this? I originally targeted the Watch Dogs Ultra recommendations but that setup wasn't within my budget of 900€. How is this compilation? I'm thankfull for any feedback. The PC world is quite scary for someone who never owned a gaming PC before. If you don't like anything in particular or know better components (budget = 900€) please tell.

JaN2KTW.jpg

kharma45

Guys, do you like this? I originally targeted the Watch Dogs Ultra recommendations but that setup wasn't within my budget of 900€. How is this compilation? I'm thankfull for any feedback. The PC world is quite scary for someone who never owned a gaming PC before. If you don't like anything in particular or know better components (budget = 900€) please tell.

JaN2KTW.jpg

Not much point going Z87 and not getting a 4670K.

Case is good, HDD is fine, PSU is fine, RAM is fine, DVD drive is debatable as to whether you'll actually need it (probably not) but the GPU I'd look at again. Looks like it will be a reference model by that name.

funkypie

Banned
I'm running a i7 960 OC to 3,8ghz with a ATI 7870 and 12GB of ram on windows 7. The GFX card is slightly overclocked, an MSI card, it came like that.

will getting a 120 hz refresh monitor able me to get 120fps alot? I don't have any problems hitting 60 but I always play with v sync on as screen tearing is the worse.

So is there any indication that Micro Center's going to have any combo deals incorporating Z97 and Refresh/Devil's Canyon (or, hell, any indication they're planning on selling either at all)?

oti

Banned
Not much point going Z87 and not getting a 4670K.

Case is good, HDD is fine, PSU is fine, RAM is fine, DVD drive is debatable as to whether you'll actually need it (probably not) but the GPU I'd look at again. Looks like it will be a reference model by that name.

Is this better? I just picked a few higher numbers. That's how this stuff works, right?

NdbRHIL.jpg

Sykotik

Even 4.1GHz will give you a noticeable boost. Shoudn't be too much of a hassle with Sandy Bridge, you're only really changing the voltage and the multiplier for most OCs.

4GHz and above is when the good times happen.

Welp. Just tried to OC it. Set it to 4.5 and did an intel burn test, said it was stable.

Interesting.

LilJoka

Is this better? I just picked a few higher numbers. That's how this stuff works, right?

NdbRHIL.jpg

What site are you using?

You want a K series CPU if you are going to overclock and a Z series Mobo.
You want a non K series CPU if you arent going to overclock and a H/B series motherboard.

Any reason you picked the CM 690?

oti

Banned
You've forgotten a motherboard :p

Whups, I added it again. 990€. Still ok...ish. :)

What site are you using?

You want a K series CPU if you are going to overclock and a Z series Mobo.
You want a non K series CPU if you arent going to overclock and a H/B series motherboard.

Any reason you picked the CM 690?

http://www.hardwareversand.de - Idealo tells me it's one of the cheapest for many components and not paying 7€ shipping costs for every component is nice. To the rest of your feedback - I have no idea what you're talking about. I'll maybe try that overclocking thing down the line but for now I just want to enter the Gaming PC world safely. CM 690 was recommended on another website that actually builds the PC for you and offers support, for 200€ extra. :\ - http://www.mifcom.de/product/1159/1...c/pc-system-core-i5-4570---gtx760.html?config

To the rest of your feedback - I have no idea what you're talking about. I'll maybe try that overclocking thing down the line but for now I just want to enter the Gaming PC world safely.

Basically:

- if you're planning on overclocking (now, or down the line), get the i5-4670K and a motherboard with a Z87 chipset, because (alongside Z97) those motherboards are the only ones capable of overclocking unlocked 4xxx CPUs.
- if you aren't planning on overclocking, get the i5-4670 (no K in the name) and a motherboard with an B85 or H87 chipset (so that you don't pay extra for shit you don't need).

oti

Banned
Basically:

- if you're planning on overclocking (now, or down the line), get the i5-4670K and a motherboard with a Z87 chipset
- if you aren't planning on overclocking, get the i5-4670 (no K in the name) and a motherboard with an B85 or H87 chipset.

Thanks for the explanation. So.. this is ready for overclocking? But for that I'd need additional fans right? Again, I won't try that out at the beginning.

So how is this PC holding up PC-Gaf? Can this replace PS4/Xbox One for the next couple of years? Again, first ever gaming PC for me. (You could also use Wiis as the units to tell me how powerful this thing is.)

i2hpXXf.jpg

Thanks for the explanation. So.. this is ready for overclocking? But for that I'd need additional fans right? Again, I won't try that out at the beginning.

So how is this PC holding up PC-Gaf? Can this replace PS4/Xbox One for the next couple of years? Again, first ever gaming PC for me. (You could also use Wiis as the units to tell me how powerful this thing is.)

i2hpXXf.jpg

For overclocking, you'd probably just want to get one of these unless you want to go straight from "stock" to "garishly cool OC".

Not sure about that power supply and I'll defer to someone else ITT for an opinion on it, but the rest of the build looks good as a next-gen replacement to me.

oti

Banned
For overclocking, you'd probably just want to get one of these unless you want to go straight from "stock" to "garishly cool OC".

Not sure about that power supply and I'll defer to someone else ITT for an opinion on it, but the rest of the build looks good as a next-gen replacement to me.

Thanks! Don't you like the CM 690? It just looked the least offensive from what the other site was offering. If you know a better (more subtle, cooler) case, I'd love to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom