• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm SORT OF worried about that VRAM difference, but what would be a good AMD alternative of similar power/price? (I'm in Europe)

If you want something with more than 2gig, go for a r9 280x, as it's a tad cheaper (since you're from Europe) than a GTX 770 2GB but with 1gig more VRAM

riflen

I think 3GB VRAM is a must for 3 years into the future. Of course no evidence, but imo, every time i buy the less VRAM version i run out of VRAM lol. That puts AMD in a good position for the not so high end GPUs as they are offering more VRAM for less money.

Depends, depends, depends. It depends on how the game is designed, the resolution you'll play at and what settings you consider mandatory for your enjoyment.
We always go around and around in circles on this topic. Now with engines performing a kind of caching and consuming all your VRAM regardless, it muddies the debate even more. That recent Daylight thread was a perfect example (btw, the testers screwed up their SLI bench, Andy from Nvidia posted to say they cannot have used the profile):

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Daylight_-test-d_1920.jpg

If you're going to playing at 1920x1080 for the next 3 years, 2GB could well be OK, depending on how you like to experience your games.

LilJoka

Depends, depends, depends. It depends on how the game is designed, the resolution you'll play at and what settings you consider mandatory for your enjoyment.
We always go around and around in circles on this topic. Now with engines performing a kind of caching and consuming all your VRAM regardless, it muddies the debate even more. That recent Daylight thread was a perfect example (btw, the testers screwed up their SLI bench, Andy from Nvidia posted to say they cannot have used the profile):

If you're going to playing at 1920x1080 for the next 3 years, 2GB could well be OK, depending on how you like to experience your games.

Definitely a lot of factors at play, but im just taking the worst case scenario because its bound to happen. I like to have settings cranked up, so like you say depends on the user too.

kiyomi

Are there any reliable benchmarks of the R9 280 (non X)? I'm guessing it stands at around GTX 760 levels but I'm not sure if I've ever come across any good comparisons.

The Llama

I need to stop reading this thread. I'm thinking about building a new PC this summer and the excitement (and anticipation) is killing me.

riflen

Are there any reliable benchmarks of the R9 280 (non X)? I'm guessing it stands at around GTX 760 levels but I'm not sure if I've ever come across any good comparisons.

I think the 280 is a tweaked 7950 and somewhat comparable to the 7950 Boost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_Rx_200_Series#Chipset_table

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7000_Series#Southern_Islands_.28HD_7xxx.29_Series

You can get a rough idea on how most GPUs stack up against one another using Anandtech's bench page. It's only part of the story, because it just shows average FPS, but it's useful as a starting point. And yes, R280 isn't on there. =/

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1033?vs=1038

Chozolore

so if my tv is 50hz, anything above 50fps is pointless?

I tested on cod blops 2 because it has the option to limit to refresh rate, and I have to say that between 50 fps locked and 170 fps unlocked in game, I'm not sure I could tell the difference. (Everything max 1080p).

What's the word.

maneil99

I tested on cod blops 2 because it has the option to limit to refresh rate, and I have to say that between 50 fps locked and 170 fps unlocked in game, I'm not sure I could tell the difference. (Everything max 1080p).

What's the word.

You won't be able to see anything over 50hz but vsync gives you input lag.

riflen

What's the word.

It's not possible for the display to show those extra frames. If you have Vsync enabled and are not capping the rate, you will probably get some gnarly input lag, as the extra frames are probably held and shown to you once the display is able.

If Vsync is disabled and you don't cap, then you'll get wicked tearing as the game and display update at completely different intervals.

It's best to either use Vsync and cap the game's frame-rate to 48fps, or disable Vsync and cap at around 50fps (this will tear). You'll need to experiment a little because each game can be unique in this way.

My GPU died recently and I decided to put together a new build. I finished everything this past weekend but I couldn't get anything to the display. I have built and modified many systems in the past. Below is a list of my parts and a basic description of what is happening:

Parts:
Intel i7 4770K
MSI NVIDIA GTX 770 OC (Twin Frozr)
MSI Z87 G55 Motherboard (replacing with ASUS Z87 Hero)
Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
Cooler Master Silent Pro (M Series) 850W PSU
4 x 4 GB (16 GB) G.SKILL Sniper (1.25V) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
3 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Samsung 120 GB SSD (not installed)
Fractal Define R4 Case
2 x 140MM Fractal R4 Fan
3 x 140MM Gelied Silent PWM Fan
2 x 120MM Gelied Silent PWM Fan (CPU/Cooler)
3 x Braided PWM Splitter Cable
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer w/ LightScribe Support (SATA)

When I press the power button everything boots up and appears to have full power but nothing ever makes it to the display. All my fans are running, including those on the GPU and you can hear the PSU, pump from the cooler, and the disk drives working. Nothing ever makes it to the display. My case does not have an internal speaker so I don't hear any beeps.

The PSU came from my old system which powered an AMD 1090T at 4.2 GHz and a GTX 670. The PSU had zero problems prior to installing in the new system and everything appears to have full power. I am reluctant to believe there is an issue with the power supply. I checked out various manufacturers and confirmed that the PSU and memory should both be compatible with this specific motherboard.

When I removed the CPU, I did notice a slight imperfection in the pins on the motherboard where the CPU is placed, but I can't say for certain, at least not without a magnifying glass. I was extra careful in my placement of the chip and had everything aligned perfectly so I don't think any damage was caused during the installation. Considering the information below, I believe the issue to be isolated to either the CPU or motherboard.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I have taken (more or less):

1. Tried all RAM
2. Tried a single stick of RAM, one stick at a time, each time in a different slot
3. Tried two sticks of RAM at a time, each in the appropriate slots
4. Tried a different type of RAM using the same steps as #1 - #3 - 2 x 4 GB (8 GB) G.SKILL (1.50V) 240-PIN DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
5. Tried no RAM (before I learned that the case had no internal speaker)
6. Reset CMOS using reset button on motherboard
7. Cleared CMOS using CMOS jumper on motherboard and by removing CMOS battery and waiting approx. 30 mins before replacing
8. Tried connecting via DVI and HDMI (did not test VGA due to no connection on monitor)
9. Disconnected and removed the GPU and tried using the on board video with both DVI and HDMI
10. Tried power cycling the monitor multiple times and at different intervals
11. Disconnected and reconnected everything multiple times - paid close attention to the 8 pin (4 + 4) and 24 pin power connections
12. PSU has an extra 8 pin power cable so I tried the other cable just in case
13. Tried using only 4 pins from the 8 pin and tried disconnecting the cable completely - system does not boot (no power) in both cases (as expected)
14. Disconnected all HDDs, drives, and extra fans, leaving only the primary intake and exhaust fan(s) connected along with the front panel connections
15. Tried connecting only a single HDD (OS) and nothing else
16. Tried a known working GPU from another system via HDMI and DVI
17. Double checked MB standoffs and space underneath and behind the board to make sure nothing was shorting it
18. Removed the cooler, brackets, and CPU, inspected everything, and replaced and re-installed along with the motherboard

Some questions:

1. If the motherboard CPU socket was damaged (pins), is it possible that this could cause exterior damage to the Intel CPU?
2. Could another motherboard issue, such as something internal, possibly cause damage to the CPU (PC has only been powered on for less than 5 minutes at a time, usually less than 2-3 minutes for testing)?
3. If the CPU is now damaged, can this cause damage to the new motherboard? Should I just go ahead and RMA the CPU and get a new one to test with the new motherboard or should I be fine?
4. Is it possible for the on board video to work with VGA but not DVI? VGA was the only thing I wasn't able to test.
5. Anyone familiar with the MSI Z87 G55 know if the board has LED indicators? I didn't notice any lights on the board itself with everything powered on.

I ordered another motherboard (ASUS Z87 Hero) and RMA'd the MSI. I have had good luck with ASUS motherboards in the past. If this doesn't work, the CPU is next. This is one of the worst possible things that can happen after a new build and I have had a really disappointing and frustrating weekend. Any additional help or guidance anyone can provide would be much appreciated!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

What's the word.

what's your TV? most likely even if it is European it'll support higher refresh rates for PC including 1080p/60

edit: just read that some TVs that support frame-packed 3D may be able to support 120Hz refresh (most likely at 720p though). if you've got a recent HDTV with active 3D support it might be worth reading up on?

kiyomi

I think the 280 is a tweaked 7950 and somewhat comparable to the 7950 Boost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_Rx_200_Series#Chipset_table

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7000_Series#Southern_Islands_.28HD_7xxx.29_Series

You can get a rough idea on how most GPUs stack up against one another using Anandtech's bench page. It's only part of the story, because it just shows average FPS, but it's useful as a starting point. And yes, R280 isn't on there. =/

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1033?vs=1038

Thanks guys. If it really is the 7950 Boost or whatever, it's basically identical to the GTX 760 in price and performance, but with 1GB extra VRAM. Which is not bad, I guess. But I think I'd rather just pay an extra £20 and get the X version.

I need to stop reading this thread. I'm thinking about building a new PC this summer and the excitement (and anticipation) is killing me.

Me too! It's so exciting!

Thanks guys. If it really is the 7950 Boost or whatever, it's basically identical to the GTX 760 in price and performance, but with 1GB extra VRAM. Which is not bad, I guess. But I think I'd rather just pay an extra £20 and get the X version.

Me too! It's so exciting!

The jump to the X is worth the few bucks

And same here. I'm fine with my current rig, yet I wan't to assemble a new one

Hi guys, I am planning to make (or buy) my first desktop pc. It's overwhelming to say the least. I read the op and also this page, so sorry for repeating questions, especially GPU ones on this page.

Is now a bad time to build? I am a little hesitant because of follwoing:
1. Eight Core CPUs are around the corner; also having in mind that consoles also are eight core, will a four core cpu become obsolete very fast (~4 years)
2. CPU:
a) Gaming will be focus. I5 or I7? Which modell is good? How much FPS difference is there?
b) Is the K unlocked worth the price? Is overclocking difficult, dangerous, does it need special motherboards, is there wear on cpu?
3. DDR4 is also around the corner; DDR3 obsolete soon? Also 8GB ram enough? 1333/1600 any differnce/advantage? What manufactures or go for the cheapest?
4. GPU: 1080P/60FPS with "high" settings is goal for ~4 years. Nvidia or AMD? 770 or 780, is the later only good for 4K? 2/3/4GB? I have no plans on SLI.
Do I get more FPS/performance from investing 100€ more in GPU and cut on CPU or the opposite => I5/780 or I7/770 -> better FPS?
5. SSD: Are there any FPS advantages at all? What are the advantages? Which SSD is good? What specs matter? Why are some SSDs that are faster (~500mb/s) cheaper than slower ones (~150mb/s)?
6. Mobo: Which are good, which manufacturer to avoid?
7. Case. Does it matter which? Cooling fan. Does it matter which manufacturer or what does matter?
8. Pre-buit or self-made? I have zero exp. Biggest concern; messing up CPU cooling paste, making wrong jumper settings on mobo.
burning the house

My budget is 850-1000€. At the moment 1366/768 but 1080p in the future. Also, I'm in Germany. Where to buy parts/pre-made DE-GAF? I only found ONE,CSL, Rhino, Megaport. Any good experiences, even if you're the owner.

Phew, sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

Hi guys, I am planning to make (or buy) my first desktop pc. It's overwhelming to say the least. I read the op and also this page, so sorry for repeating questions, especially GPU ones on this page.

1. Eight Core CPUs are around the corner; also having in mind that consoles also are eight core, will a four core cpu become obsolete very fast (~4 years)
2. CPU:
a) Gaming will be focus. I5 or I7? Which modell is good? How much FPS difference is there?
b) Is the K unlocked worth the price? Is overclocking difficult, dangerous, does it need special motherboards, is there wear on cpu?
3. DDR4 is also around the corner; DDR3 obsolete soon? Also 8GB ram enough? 1333/1600 any differnce/advantage? What manufactures or go for the cheapest?
4. GPU: 1080P/60FPS with "high" settings is goal for ~4 years. Nvidia or AMD? 770 or 780, is the later only good for 4K? 2/3/4GB? I have no plans on SLI.
Do I get more FPS/performance from investing 100€ more in GPU and cut on CPU or the opposite => I5/780 or I7/770 -> better FPS?
5. SSD: Are there any FPS advantages at all? What are the advantages? Which SSD is good? What specs matter? Why are some SSDs that are faster (~500mb/s) cheaper than slower ones (~150mb/s)?
7. Case. Does it matter which? Cooling fan. Does it matter which manufacturer or what does matter?
8. Pre-buit or self-made? I have zero exp. Biggest concern; messing up CPU cooling paste, making wrong jumper settings on mobo.
burning the house

My budget is 850-1000€. At the moment 1366/768 but 1080p in the future. Also, I'm in Germany. Where to buy parts/pre-made DE-GAF? I only found ONE,CSL, Rhino, Megaport. Any good experiences, even if you're the owner.

1: They have been for years, yet only a hand full of games use 4cores, most use only 2 cores.
2: i5. Depends if you want to OC or don't plan to do so. Overclocking isn't hard at all, but not every CPU gets you to above 4,5+ It needs "Z" motherboards. It might reduce lifetime of your CPU. Also, you'll need a good aftermarket cooler.
3: DDR will be expensive as §$&%!, also would requier newer boards and CPUs, which also are way more expensive. 8gig DDR3 is enough. G.Skill, GeiL, Corsair, something like this
4: i5 is enough for gaming, everything else is a waste and could be better spent on a GPU. I'd go for something in the 200-300 range and upgrade in the following 2-3 years.
5: Not sure about SSDs. Afaik it just loads everything faster, but you don't get more fps (?) Samsung EVO series is pretty good. Depending on quality, also, don't compare read vs write
6: Go for Asus, MSI, Gigabyte
7: It does. mATX or ITX. Completely different motherboard sizes. Also, it depends how big your CPU cooler can be or how long your GPU can be. You'l not want a cheap plastic case. Other then that, it really depends on your favorite style.
8: Self made. Save the money, get to know your hardware. There are so many tutorials on the net, you'll be amazed how easily it actually is to build your own rig.

hardwareversand.de or alternate.de are the best sites for parts in AT/GER

// Something like this: (non OC)
But you could save around 80€ on the case and a cheaper cooler, and spend ~20€ for a Western Digital Black HDD (faster but also louder) and RAM with heat sinks (helps a bit)
Yq8f0kL.png

kiyomi

2. CPU:
burning the house

1. Intel's 8-core is going to be Haswell-E, plus you'll need an X99 motherboard and DDR4 for it. All of which will be expensive when they come out. Quad core is your best bet from a price: performance standpoint.

2. a) If you can wait until June, Intel are releasing what they're calling a Haswell refresh, codenamed Devil's Canyon. They'll probably be called the i5 4690K and i7 4790K, respectively. They should be better for overclocking, and support a newer chipset (Z97). Personally I'm waiting for the 4690K.

b) Overclocking is relatively simple as long as you go into it prepared. You'll need a better CPU cooler than the standard one, and a compatible motherboard (Z87 or Z97 if you're waiting for Devil's Canyon). There are good guides across the internet, particularly on Overclock.net

3. 8GB RAM is fine for now, DDR3 is fine too. DDR4 will be expensive for a while.

4. GTX 760, R9 280X and anything above are great for 1080p. i5 with a 780 will get you better FPS than i7 with a 770.

5. Crucial M500 and Samsung EVO SSDs are good for the money. They're good for putting your operating system on, as well as any frequently used games or programs. Fast, fast, fast.

6. There aren't any real manufacturers to "avoid", just make sure you have a) compatible motherboard for your CPU and if you're overclocking with Intel (you should), make sure you get Z87/Z97. Go with whatever fits your budget and your form factor. If you're not going to SLI, you can probably be fine with an mATX motherboard, which means you can get a smaller case as well.

7. Go with something that you like the look of and provides decent airflow and enough space for you to work with. There are some good recommendations in the OP.

8. Build it yourself. It'll be fun and rewarding, and maybe a bit cheaper too. You don't have to mess with "jumper settings", you're plugging cables and components into the motherboard and that's about it. There's tons and tons of info on the internet, video guides, etc etc. Look in the OP for videos on how to build a PC, you can decide whether you think you can do it (yes you can!).

Amazon.de should have most things, no?

I think I'll go with this one here. I'll buy a SSD at a later point and maybe sell that mouse, I'll be playing with my DS3 or buy a DS4 for that next-gen feeling.

Although I'll get this case instead. It looks nicer and it's cheaper.

cJ6VANp.jpg

Why does it have black twice? Am I missing something?

The required specs for Ultra for Watch_Dogs have got me a little concerned about my current rig, and wondering if I should upgrade. What do you think? Here are my specs:

i5 3570k
16gb RAM
Radeon 7950 3 GB
SSD

I'm thinking about upgrading the graphics card primarily, but wondering if the CPU needs an upgrade as well. Is the 7950 considered "outdated" at this point? I'm looking at the R9 290 and the GTX 780, but they both seem pretty pricey for me at the moment. Just wondering if this is something I "need."

The required specs for Ultra for Watch_Dogs have got me a little concerned about my current rig, and wondering if I should upgrade. What do you think? Here are my specs:

i5 3570k
16gb RAM
Radeon 7950 3 GB
SSD

I'm thinking about upgrading the graphics card primarily, but wondering if the CPU needs an upgrade as well. Is the 7950 considered "outdated" at this point? I'm looking at the R9 290 and the GTX 780, but they both seem pretty pricey for me at the moment. Just wondering if this is something I "need."
1) Wait till it's release and see how things are going
2) Your CPU is still more than fine. You OC'ed it, right? Riiiight?? If not, go now! haha

If anything at all, replace your GPU. But even with that I'd wait till fall.

1) Wait till it's release and see how things are going
2) Your CPU is still more than fine. You OC'ed it, right? Riiiight?? If not, go now! haha

If anything at all, replace your GPU. But even with that I'd wait till fall.

Thanks! Yup it is OC'ed, but only up to 3.9 ghz...I'm a little paranoid and not that knowledgable about how to regulate the temperature so I figure I might as well keep it on the conservative side. So the 3570k is still considered up to date at this point?

I'm hoping to see GPU prices drop in the coming months, if anything I'll hold off on that until then.

Thanks! Yup it is OC'ed, but only up to 3.9 ghz...I'm a little paranoid and not that knowledgable about how to regulate the temperature so I figure I might as well keep it on the conservative side. So the 3570k is still considered up to date at this point?

I'm hoping to see GPU prices drop in the coming months, if anything I'll hold off on that until then.
What CPU cooler do you rock? Also, there are plenty infos on the net about how to OC properly, just in case you're a bit scared of doing something wrong.

I'd bet it's the logo. Look at this:

qWNHZC9.jpg

Yeah, that's most likely the reason. But then again I wouldn't even think about that haha

riflen

3.9Ghz is not really an overclock, seeing as the standard boost clock is 3.8Ghz. That processor should be able to reach 4.2Ghz comfortably with a decent cooler by doing little more than changing the multiplier to 42.
To answer your question, a 3570K clocked up is still excellent for games at this moment in time.

No-one can tell you how un-released software will perform. Seeing as Watch_Dogs is released in 2 weeks, I wouldn't go making hardware decisions on chance when you could wait and read all the benchmarks.

Chozolore

what's your TV? most likely even if it is European it'll support higher refresh rates for PC including 1080p/60

edit: just read that some TVs that support frame-packed 3D may be able to support 120Hz refresh (most likely at 720p though). if you've got a recent HDTV with active 3D support it might be worth reading up on?

unfortunately not, time for a new tv, 46" led backlit me thinks.

mkenyon

Banned
Since this gets posted just about every page, I wanted to make it known how confident I am in the 2500K/3570K/4670K.

If any of those processors has trouble with Watch Dogs, getting even 10% reduced performance compared to an i7 of the same series, I will give away a Matrix 7970 to someone on GAF.

i5 3570k
16gb RAM
Radeon 7950 3 GB
SSD

What CPU cooler do you rock? Also, there are plenty infos on the net about how to OC properly, just in case you're a bit scared of doing something wrong.

Yeah, that's most likely the reason. But then again I wouldn't even think about that haha

At the moment I'm just relying on the internal case fans...is that a huge problem? Sorry for my ignorance if so lol. I've been rocking this setup since roughly March 2013, and no issues so far, but if I'm long overdue for a dedicated cooling solution I'll look into it.

3.9Ghz is not really an overclock, seeing as the standard boost clock is 3.8Ghz. That processor should be able to reach 4.2Ghz comfortably with a decent cooler by doing little more than changing the multiplier to 42.
To answer your question, a 3570K clocked up is still excellent for games at this moment in time.

No-one can tell you how un-released software will perform. Seeing as Watch_Dogs is released in 2 weeks, I wouldn't go making hardware decisions on chance when you could wait and read all the benchmarks.

Yea, I know I could potentially go higher, but wasn't sure about the repercussions. I guess considering my lack of a cooling system, that's probably for the best.

mkenyon

Banned
At the moment I'm just relying on the internal case fans...is that a huge problem? Sorry for my ignorance if so lol. I've been rocking this setup since roughly March 2013, and no issues so far, but if I'm long overdue for a dedicated cooling solution I'll look into it.

Yea, I know I could potentially go higher, but wasn't sure about the repercussions. I guess considering my lack of a cooling system, that's probably for the best.
So you wanted to know about upgrades to your system to improve performance, the thing to do is to get a CPU cooler, and then overclock your processor.

So you didn't even use boxed cooler? Dang, then you should asap get one.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Bad news kennah. Turned my PC on, picture was like this:

So far, I've tried:

- reinstall drivers (newest AMD drivers, non beta)
- reseat GPU
- using a different PCI slot
- an other DVI, HDMI and VGA cable

Anything else, I can try or is it dead? :'(
Looks like bad GPU memory. Could also be a bad port/pin connection on your cable / jack.
My GPU died recently and I decided to put together a new build. I finished everything this past weekend but I couldn't get anything to the display. I have built and modified many systems in the past. Below is a list of my parts and a basic description of what is happening:

Parts:
Intel i7 4770K
MSI NVIDIA GTX 770 OC (Twin Frozr)
MSI Z87 G55 Motherboard (replacing with ASUS Z87 Hero)
Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
Cooler Master Silent Pro (M Series) 850W PSU
4 x 4 GB (16 GB) G.SKILL Sniper (1.25V) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
3 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Samsung 120 GB SSD (not installed)
Fractal Define R4 Case
2 x 140MM Fractal R4 Fan
3 x 140MM Gelied Silent PWM Fan
2 x 120MM Gelied Silent PWM Fan (CPU/Cooler)
3 x Braided PWM Splitter Cable
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer w/ LightScribe Support (SATA)

When I press the power button everything boots up and appears to have full power but nothing ever makes it to the display. All my fans are running, including those on the GPU and you can hear the PSU, pump from the cooler, and the disk drives working. Nothing ever makes it to the display. My case does not have an internal speaker so I don't hear any beeps.

The PSU came from my old system which powered an AMD 1090T at 4.2 GHz and a GTX 670. The PSU had zero problems prior to installing in the new system and everything appears to have full power. I am reluctant to believe there is an issue with the power supply. I checked out various manufacturers and confirmed that the PSU and memory should both be compatible with this specific motherboard.

When I removed the CPU, I did notice a slight imperfection in the pins on the motherboard where the CPU is placed, but I can't say for certain, at least not without a magnifying glass. I was extra careful in my placement of the chip and had everything aligned perfectly so I don't think any damage was caused during the installation. Considering the information below, I believe the issue to be isolated to either the CPU or motherboard.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I have taken (more or less):

1. Tried all RAM
2. Tried a single stick of RAM, one stick at a time, each time in a different slot
3. Tried two sticks of RAM at a time, each in the appropriate slots
4. Tried a different type of RAM using the same steps as #1 - #3 - 2 x 4 GB (8 GB) G.SKILL (1.50V) 240-PIN DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
5. Tried no RAM (before I learned that the case had no internal speaker)
6. Reset CMOS using reset button on motherboard
7. Cleared CMOS using CMOS jumper on motherboard and by removing CMOS battery and waiting approx. 30 mins before replacing
8. Tried connecting via DVI and HDMI (did not test VGA due to no connection on monitor)
9. Disconnected and removed the GPU and tried using the on board video with both DVI and HDMI
10. Tried power cycling the monitor multiple times and at different intervals
11. Disconnected and reconnected everything multiple times - paid close attention to the 8 pin (4 + 4) and 24 pin power connections
12. PSU has an extra 8 pin power cable so I tried the other cable just in case
13. Tried using only 4 pins from the 8 pin and tried disconnecting the cable completely - system does not boot (no power) in both cases (as expected)
14. Disconnected all HDDs, drives, and extra fans, leaving only the primary intake and exhaust fan(s) connected along with the front panel connections
15. Tried connecting only a single HDD (OS) and nothing else
16. Tried a known working GPU from another system via HDMI and DVI
17. Double checked MB standoffs and space underneath and behind the board to make sure nothing was shorting it
18. Removed the cooler, brackets, and CPU, inspected everything, and replaced and re-installed along with the motherboard

Some questions:

1. If the motherboard CPU socket was damaged (pins), is it possible that this could cause exterior damage to the Intel CPU?
2. Could another motherboard issue, such as something internal, possibly cause damage to the CPU (PC has only been powered on for less than 5 minutes at a time, usually less than 2-3 minutes for testing)?
2. If the CPU is now damaged, can this cause damage to the new motherboard? Should I just go ahead and RMA the CPU and get a new one to test with the new motherboard or should I be fine?
3. Is it possible for the on board video to work with VGA but not DVI? VGA was the only thing I wasn't able to test.
4. Anyone familiar with the MSI Z87 G55 know if the board has LED indicators? I didn't notice any lights on the board itself with everything powered on.

I ordered another motherboard (ASUS Z87 Hero) and RMA'd the MSI. I have had good luck with ASUS motherboards in the past. If this doesn't work, the CPU is next. This is one of the worst possible things that can happen after a new build and I have had a really disappointing and frustrating weekend. Any additional help or guidance anyone can provide would be much appreciated!
I had a similar problem but with no visible damage and it was my CPU being crap.
Took like 6 hours because I did like you did, literally everything else since CPU death is so incredibly rare.

Like you are doing, RMA the CPU if the new mobo doesn't work.
What's the verdict on G-SYNC ?
It's fantastic tech (and AMD if they get it working) and really affects iGPU and 30-60FPS. Once it doesn't cost $150 and needs a specific display it'll be one of the most important advances in PC gaming.

Fill out OP too! Budget easy for what you covered.
Z97 is mostly out and new CPUs should be out pretty soon, good time to wait.

kharma45

Since this gets posted just about every page, I wanted to make it known how confident I am in the 2500K/3570K/4670K.

If any of those processors has trouble with Watch Dogs, getting even 10% reduced performance compared to an i7 of the same series, I will give away a Matrix 7970 to someone on GAF.

but it needs 8 cores

SHADES

Getting excited! Wasn't planning on building my rig until Friday but 5/6 of my deliveries just got confirmed for tomorrow and the final one is in transit only 50mile away, could be throwing a sick day on Wednesday lol!

#feelslikexmas

but it needs 8 cores

.... Not sure if serious? The i7 parts are not even 8 core anyways. They have 2 threads per core that take advantage of memory stalls. It is not the same as having 8 physical cores. Considering the other CPU listed under recommended is the AMD 8350 8 core which gets absolutely stomped by even the i5 2500k, I am more than certain the 2500k,3570k,4670k will all be more than fine.

NoRéN

.... Not sure if serious? The i7 parts are not even 8 core anyways. They have 2 threads per core that take advantage of memory stalls. It is not the same as having 8 physical cores. Considering the other CPU listed under recommended is the AMD 8350 8 core which gets absolutely stomped by even the i5 2500k, I am more than certain the 2500k,3570k,4670k will all be more than fine.

dude, it's kharma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom