• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkypie

Banned
Hey guys, how long do you think this system would last me? Thinking of investing in a good powerful PC that could last me several years.

Motherboard: ASUS Z87-WS Intel Z87 DDR3 LGA1150 WorkStation Motherboard
CPU: Intel Haswell Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz 8MB LGA1150
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM: Mushkin Blackline FrostByte 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 (997069)
Hard Disk: Western Digital Caviar Black2 WD1001X06XDTL Dual Drive (120GB SSD + 1TB HDD) SATA3 6GB/s

Blu-ray: ASUS BW-16D1HT Pro 16X Blu-Ray Writer

Graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX780Ti Classified 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0 (03G-P4-2888-KR)
EVGA GeForce GTX780Ti Classified 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0 (03G-P4-2888-KR)

Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Case Window Edition - Gun Metal
PSU: Corsair RM Series RM1000 1000W Fully Modular PSU 80Plus Gold

as long as nothing breaks, 5 years, easily.

LilJoka

Hey guys, how long do you think this system would last me? Thinking of investing in a good powerful PC that could last me several years.

Hard Disk: Western Digital Caviar Black2 WD1001X06XDTL Dual Drive (120GB SSD + 1TB HDD) SATA3 6GB/s

Graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX780Ti Classified 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0 (03G-P4-2888-KR)

Have you considered X79 or even waiting till X99?

Sticking with your build, the Motherboard is excessive, a normal $100ish Z87/Z97 board will work that supports SLI.

Id go with a Noctua D14 for the silence over the H110.

Blu Ray really required? Most people build without optical drives nowadays.

Could go for a Seasonic X1050 PSU.

riflen

The CPU will be superceded in 3 weeks' time by the 4790K. We wont know for certain until reviews, but the reports are that it will be a considerably better overclocker than the 4770K and have a base clock of 4Ghz. If true, it'll undoubtedly last you longer than the 4770K.

I'd be a bit concerned with that particular hybrid disk, as it's designed for laptops or small form-factor PCs. Its performance seems good (even though it uses a 5400 rpm platter), but you're probably paying more money for the compact design, which is a little unnecessary when you have a full ATX case.
I'd prefer a separate SSD and a larger capacity 3.5" HDD to allow me some control over what data sits on what media, and get more storage for my money. But this is a personal preference.

Consider if you need an optical drive at all. They are not needed in a system used purely for games.

Jibbed

HELP!

In the last 20 attempts or so I've tried to boot my PC, half the time it's failed to run Windows after the various ASUS/boot screens and stopped at a black screen with a blinking underscore at the top right. Until today, I've somehow managed to get it going after a few attempts of messing around with whatever I could think of (trying mobo defaults, different SATA configurations etc).

Today however, nothing I tried is getting me to Windows. Could something be up with my SSD? In the bios and pre-Windows boot screens it recognises the drive, but even going through that and force-booting from it does nothing.

Edit: FFS, 43rd attempt got me there... something is definitely up though.

Windows 8.1
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
i7-2600K
P8Z68-V Pro
16GB RAM
GTX770
Corsair 850W

elfinke

My little bro's PC parts arrived today. Knocked off work early to help build it (he'd made a start, unfortunately he put the stock Intel cooler on the CPU, as he couldn't believe the 212EVO was for that, lol). To be fair, that thing is substantially larger than even I thought it was. Anyway, I pulled that apart and made good on the rest of the system in short time.

And despite some slightly ugly cabling, it all went together super smoothly. Also, R9 290's are fucking enormous things. God damn. I remember when we all laughed at the Voodoo 5 5000 and how huge it was many moons ago.

Best of all, after a bit of mucking around getting it all together and fighting with the still (it's 2014!!) hopeless PIN connectors for power buttons, LEDs and HDD indicators, it booted up first time no hassles at all.

We then spent an hour getting his OEM copy of Win8.1 onto a bootable USB (more difficult than it had any right to be), followed by arguing with a goofy Secureboot notification. Nonetheless, it is now up and running, quieter than his old Core Duo + GTX260 and many times quicker! Good stuff, my 2500K and 6950 (flashed to 6970) is now looking decidedly old!

LilJoka

HELP!

In the last 20 attempts or so I've tried to boot my PC, half the time it's failed to run Windows after the various ASUS/boot screens and stopped at a black screen with a blinking underscore at the top right. Until today, I've somehow managed to get it going after a few attempts of messing around with whatever I could think of (trying mobo defaults, different SATA configurations etc).

Today however, nothing I tried is getting me to Windows. Could something be up with my SSD? In the bios and pre-Windows boot screens it recognises the drive, but even going through that and force-booting from it does nothing.

Windows 8.1
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
i7-2600K
P8Z68-V Pro
16GB RAM
GTX770
Corsair 850W

Sounds like SSD going bad to me. Now your in Windows, try run CrystalMark Disk Info to check the SSD health.
Crucial are good with RMA, 3 year warranty.

Azulsky

I wonder what the performance delta is on the new devils canyon chips vs haswell. Seems like they must have moved VRM back to the motherboard again to keep 88W tdp.

Are there any benches online from a 5 Ghz 4770k?

riflen

HELP!

Windows 8.1
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
i7-2600K
P8Z68-V Pro
16GB RAM
GTX770
Corsair 850W

This could definitely be drivers. The symptoms you describe are exactly those I experienced when using 8.1 with an incompatible Steelseries mouse driver. If you have installed any new peripherals lately, make certain the drivers you used are compatible with 8.1. It could also be useful to try and boot with all your USB devices removed to see the result.

You could also try Safe Mode (press F8 immediately as Windows begins its boot). If the system boots consistently in Safe Mode, it could point to driver problems. Safe Mode may also allow you to test your SSD for SMART errors.

Garou

HELP!

Windows 8.1
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
i7-2600K
P8Z68-V Pro
16GB RAM
GTX770
Corsair 850W

Don't worry, it's a known problem with Crucial M4s and some EFI-Bios. You need to downgrade the SSD-firmware back to version 000F. Link: http://edge.crucial.com/firmware/m4/000F/m4_SSD_Firmware_Update_Utility_000F.zip

By the way I had the exact same problem on my old Gigabyte H61 board, and this helped. On my current board the problem never came back, even with the latest firmware.

riflen

http://hexus.net/tech/news/storage/69697-asrock-debuts-32gbs-ultra-m2-motherboard-interface/

They say that they made the PCIE 3 times faster, anyone can tell if this will translate in real performance improvement?

You only have so many PCI-E lanes available. Using more for M2 storage reduces the PCI-E lanes available for other devices. Whether this is useful for you depends on what you do with your system and how many high speed PCI-E devices you want to install in your PC.

If you're gaming, it's questionable whether you'd notice the increase in M2 performance. SLI users, for example, would probably prefer the extra PCI-E bandwidth for their GPUs.

Rafy

Finally, I was not buying Noctua fans for the sole reason of the shit brown/beige color scheme.

Noctua introduces two new fan product lines and accessory kits.
Noctua today expanded its product portfolio with two new fan product lines and a wide range of accessory kits. Whereas the redux line addresses price-conscious users by reissuing some of Noctua’s most popular, award-winning models and presenting them in streamlined, more affordable packages, the industrialPPC (Protected Performance Cooling) line is conceived for industrial heavy duty applications that require enhanced cooling performance and advanced ingress protection.

Whereas the redux fans feature an attractive light/dark grey colour scheme that is reminiscent of the two shades of brown used Noctua’s standard line-up, the industrialPPC models come in an all black design.

The redux edition comprises both 4-pin PWM and 3-pin versions of NF-P14, NF-S12B, NF-B9 and NF-R8, all of which are proven, time-tested models that have convinced thousands of customers and helped to found Noctua’s reputation as a first-tier supplier of premium grade low noise cooling equipment. Altogether, there will be 13 redux models with speeds ranging from 700 to 1700rpm.

The industrialPPC line features ruggedised 2000 and 3000rpm versions of the award-winning NF-F12 and NF-A14 fans. Thanks to the outstanding aerodynamic efficiency of these designs and the use of a novel three-phase motor, the industrialPPC versions provide superior airflow and pressure capacity while keeping noise levels and power consumption moderate as against comparable high-speed fans. Their fibre-glass reinforced polyamide construction and certified water and dust protection (up to IP67) make the industrialPPC fans an ideal choice for highly demanding applications that require superior flow rates and ultimate dependability.

In addition to the new fan product lines, Noctua also introduced a wide range of accessory sets to complement these fans. For example, customers can upgrade their redux or industrialPPC fans with anti-vibration mounts (NA-SAV2), Low-Noise Adaptors (NA-SRC7 & NA-SRC10), extension cables (NA-SEC1 & NA-SEC2) or y-cables (NA-SYC1 & NA-SYC2).

Pricing:
Prices and availability
All redux and industrialPPC models are currently shipping and will be available shortly. The manufacturer suggested retail prices are as follows:
redux 140mm: EUR 15.90 / USD 19.90
redux 120mm: EUR 13.90 / USD 17.90
redux 92mm: EUR 11.90 / USD 15.90
redux 80mm: EUR 10.90 / USD 14.90
industrialPPC 140mm IP52: EUR 26.90 / USD 29.90
industrialPPC 140mm IP67: EUR 29.90 / USD 34.90
industrialPPC 120mm IP52: EUR 24.90 / USD 26.90
industrialPPC 120mm IP67: EUR 29.90 / USD 34.9
Accessory sets: EUR 5.90 / USD 7.90

noctua_nf_s12b_redux_5.jpg

noctua_nf_ippc_5.jpg

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=news_list&news_id=93

Water

http://hexus.net/tech/news/storage/69697-asrock-debuts-32gbs-ultra-m2-motherboard-interface/

They say that they made the PCIE 3 times faster, anyone can tell if this will translate in real performance improvement?
It sure will if you have a fast SSD enough to put in it. If I could, I'd pay $20 for that capability in my next build (though I wouldn't buy the fast SSD yet).
Now that mobo manufacturers are milking fast M.2 slots instead of making them ubiquitous, I wonder if anyone will grab the opportunity and just produce a consumer-cheap PCIe card SSD card that will work equally well with cheap mobos.

About Adaptive sync: http://hexus.net/tech/news/displays/69693-adaptive-sync-incorporated-vesa-displayport-12a-standard/

The following AMD GPUs and APUs will be able to connect with the new DisplayPort standard monitors; AMD Radeon R9 290X, R9 290, R7 260X and R7 260 graphics cards, AMD APUs codenamed 'Kabini,' 'Temash,' 'Beema,' and 'Mullins.' AMD also says that the graphics card can detect and set an appropriate maximum and minimum refresh rate based on the capabilities reported by the display. Potential ranges include 36-240Hz, 21-144Hz, 17-120Hz and 9-60Hz.

I have a 270X :[

Water

Displays are probably a year away. Sell on your GPU at the appropriate time.

... and depending on what real-world testing shows of Adaptive-Sync performance, maybe buy G-Sync hardware instead. I'm assuming Nvidia has gotten a dedicated chip done for it at that point and the price premium has dissolved.

... and depending on what real-world testing shows of Adaptive-Sync performance, maybe buy G-Sync hardware instead. I'm assuming Nvidia has gotten a dedicated chip done for it at that point and the price premium has dissolved.

I wouldn't bet on that, NVIDIA knows people are willing to pay. I'll take a wait and see approach, we don't know which one will be ''better'', but I suspect there won't be a discernible difference.
Plus, what's to stop NVIDIA from adopting the new standard?

oti

Banned
So I want to buy all the parts for my PC today and the cooler I wanted to get is out of stock all of a sudden. Buying everything from one site saves me shipping costs. So what's a good alternative for the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo? I found the Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW) but it's a bit more expensive. Do you know cheaper alternatives? This is the rest of my setup.

GI9ZVmb.jpg

Water

I wouldn't bet on that, NVIDIA knows people are willing to pay. I'll take a wait and see approach, we don't know which one will be ''better'', but I suspect there won't be a discernible difference.
Plus, what's to stop NVIDIA from adopting the new standard?

Display manufacturers know people are willing to pay, so don't expect Adaptive-Sync support to be free either. Of course, Nvidia will also stick Adaptive-Sync support in their GPUs if it takes off in a big way, but it remains to be seen whether it will.

Also, yes, we do know that G-Sync is the fundamentally better tech. If I understand correctly, Adaptive-Sync depends on being able to predict frame durations ahead of time. In the best case, in situations where that can be done perfectly, Adaptive-Sync might equal G-Sync. How well that can be done is an interesting question. Presumably a situation where individual frametimes vary wildly would be a problem for Adaptive-Sync; then again, maybe the structure of game engines can allow mitigating the problem.

Could someone help me figure out if my gpu is dying? :(

I turned on Nvidia Shadowplay to try it out with Dark Souls 2 and then after that I rebooted my PC. When it started up again I played about 10 minutes of Dark Souls 2 and saved two short clips with the shadowplay feature. It seemed to work just fine until I went and looked at the clips...

whatthe3_by_realghostvids-d7i7fnr.jpg

Terrible flickering pink and yellow all over the video, randomly appearing with no rhyme or reason. I tried the second video and it was showing the same stuff. Then I noticed my browser acting funny as well...

whatthe1_by_realghostvids-d7i7f9n.jpg

whatthe2_by_realghostvids-d7i7f9d.jpg

Nearly every time I would middle-click to open a link in a tab one of these crazy corrupted blocks would appear and then go away if I scrolled.

The one thing that I find weird is that in-game shows no corruption at all just like it always has. The only time I seem to be experiencing these glitches is in regular desktop use. I was able to open the same video and watch it all the way through without any corruption, and same goes for using chrome. Sometimes the glitches just aren't there.

My GPU temperatures are fine (~33 at idle with two 1080p monitors and ~65 in-game) and nothing else seems to be off. I'm thinking the culprit is probably Shadowplay or perhaps a driver issue related to that program.

Widdla

Neo Member
I gonna build a new machine: i5-4670k + Asus Maximus VI Hero + Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 MHz.

On GPU side, I'm between a EVGA GTX 760 Superclocked or a GTX 770 Superclocked (2GB).

The 770 really worth the $90-$100 difference for the boost on graphic performance?

I was debating the same thing a couple of weeks ago, and went with the GTX 770. I read enough reviews that said there is a significant enough boost to warrant the extra $$, and after playing a few games with it, I'm glad I went with the 770.

I'm able to run Metro Last Light on high quality (GTX 770, i7 4770k, 16gb RAM), but I have to make some compromises to keep the frame rate decent, like turning off PhysX, Tessellation, etc)

The Llama

Somewhat random, but whatever happened to 16:10 displays? Does anyone still make them or has everything switched over to 1080p? I remember back in the mid-2000's 1920x1200 monitors started going away in favor of 1080p monitors and gamers were really mad. I figured they'd stick around, but it doesn't seem like they have?

mkenyon

Banned
Nearly every time I would middle-click to open a link in a tab one of these crazy corrupted blocks would appear and then go away if I scrolled.

The one thing that I find weird is that in-game shows no corruption at all just like it always has. The only time I seem to be experiencing these glitches is in regular desktop use. I was able to open the same video and watch it all the way through without any corruption, and same goes for using chrome. Sometimes the glitches just aren't there.

My GPU temperatures are fine (~33 at idle with two 1080p monitors and ~65 in-game) and nothing else seems to be off. I'm thinking the culprit is probably Shadowplay or perhaps a driver issue related to that program.
This is really really strange. I'd look at possibly starting the RMA process after doing the usual routine (clean driver installation, etc).
Somewhat random, but whatever happened to 16:10 displays? Does anyone still make them or has everything switched over to 1080p? I remember back in the mid-2000's 1920x1200 monitors started going away in favor of 1080p monitors and gamers were really mad. I figured they'd stick around, but it doesn't seem like they have?
There's some still around. A decent amount of 2560x1600 monitors too.

But the great gaming panels are all 16:9.

Drake

I was debating the same thing a couple of weeks ago, and went with the GTX 770. I read enough reviews that said there is a significant enough boost to warrant the extra $$, and after playing a few games with it, I'm glad I went with the 770.

I'm able to run Metro Last Light on high quality (GTX 770, i7 4770k, 16gb RAM), but I have to make some compromises to keep the frame rate decent, like turning off PhysX, Tessellation, etc)

This is basically the exact system I plan on building. How much did you spend all together? I'm guessing between 1400-1600.

Money isn't that much of an issue for me. I'm wondering if I should go with the 780, but I only plan to play on a single 1080p monitor, not 1440.

Apologies if this has been covered by a similar query but I have a slightly unusual situation.

I have £400 in amazon credit thanks to work and I was debating using it to part fund a gaming pc build. I wouldn't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse as I can get those through a work deal. Could I realistically build a decent enough gaming PC for 400-500 pounds? When i say decent, I guess my benchmark is my PS4. For multiplats, I'm likely still to get them on that but my interest in building a gaming PC really comes from the PC exclusives - things like Arma III (which I believe is performance intensive).

I had a crack at putting things together on Part Builder but honestly I'm fumbling around in the dark in terms of my understanding around where my bottlenecks will arise based on the components I'm matching. I know that some websites have tried to build PS4 performance on PS4 budget (and actually my budget is a fair bit higher than PS4 budget without needing keyboard and mouse etc.) so I'm hoping in the settling dust from those threads there's been some sort of definitive conclusion.

If I'm unlikely to run at an acceptable performance with that sort of budget I'll leave it for now and accumulate some more credit before I jump into building.

Edit: having been pointed in the direction of some other sources, seems my budget is probably at the low end for now

Widdla

Neo Member
This is basically the exact system I plan on building. How much did you spend all together? I'm guessing between 1400-1600.

Money isn't that much of an issue for me. I'm wondering if I should go with the 780, but I only plan to play on a single 1080p monitor, not 1440.

It was 1600. Not counting the monitor. Or the OS. Or the software. Or the keyboard and mouse. Or the new router.

Reason it was 1600 and not 1400 is the Soundblaster ZXR sound card I put in there.

mkenyon

Banned
Reason it was 1600 and not 1400 is the Soundblaster ZXR sound card I put in there.
Such a good card. After ~5 months of the onboard audio on the Gigabyte Z87 M5, which is a Creative chip, I booted up a secondary PC with that in there. I almost forgot how amazing it sounds.

LordAlu

Apologies if this has been covered by a similar query but I have a slightly unusual situation.

I have £400 in amazon credit thanks to work and I was debating using it to part fund a gaming pc build. I wouldn't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse as I can get those through a work deal. Could I realistically build a decent enough gaming PC for 400-500 pounds? When i say decent, I guess my benchmark is my PS4. For multiplats, I'm likely still to get them on that but my interest in building a gaming PC really comes from the PC exclusives - things like Arma III (which I believe is performance intensive).

I had a crack at putting things together on Part Builder but honestly I'm fumbling around in the dark in terms of my understanding around where my bottlenecks will arise based on the components I'm matching. I know that some websites have tried to build PS4 performance on PS4 budget (and actually my budget is a fair bit higher than PS4 budget without needing keyboard and mouse etc.) so I'm hoping in the settling dust from those threads there's been some sort of definitive conclusion.

If I'm unlikely to run at an acceptable performance with that sort of budget I'll leave it for now and accumulate some more credit before I jump into building.

Edit: having been pointed in the direction of some other sources, seems my budget is probably at the low end for now
This would do it easily, although don't forget you'd need Windows too:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (£125.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£53.82 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£49.98 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.63 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£169.99 @ Novatech)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£30.03 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£36.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £507.43
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-13 19:50 BST+0100)

zXe

Hey, I'm new to forums but imagine this will be one of the threads I'll be checking out often =)

I've recently been looking to get a GTX 770 as that lies within my price range for a new card. Currently have a GTX 570. Just was wondering if anyone here has Arma 3 and have ran it on a 770? I know the game is more dependant on CPU, but I wonder if a 770 will give me a solid boost in fps in this game.

xBladeM6x

Hey, I'm new to forums but imagine this will be one of the threads I'll be checking out often =)

I've recently been looking to get a GTX 770 as that lies within my price range for a new card. Currently have a GTX 570. Just was wondering if anyone here has Arma 3 and have ran it on a 770? I know the game is more dependant on CPU, but I wonder if a 770 will give me a solid boost in fps in this game.
Compared to a 570? You should see a large improvement in every sense. I couldn't speak on Arma 3, but that's a very good upgrade.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
A friend of mine with an old Core 2 Duo E8500 and a 4850 512mb want to upgrade GPU, without changing the CPU and without spending much (100-150$ top).
Can you suggest a new GPU that would not be limited by the CPU but that would give him a nice boost in performances? I was thinking about the R7 265 or the GTX 750ti.

Bleepey

I bought a new HDD to go with my SSD. A WD blue caviar 1TB model. I can see it on the bios but not on my desktop. What's going on?

Ashhong

Finally, I was not buying Noctua fans for the sole reason of the shit brown/beige color scheme.

Pricing:

noctua_nf_s12b_redux_5.jpg

noctua_nf_ippc_5.jpg

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=news_list&news_id=93

Perfect, I was looking for a new fan to replace the one on my Cooler Master 212 EVO and Phanteks sadly dont make a 120mm PWM fan. I shall be going for that grey one I guess. That's what I need right? The 120mm PWM fan with 4 pins? I will probably wait for reviews too.

A friend of mine with an old Core 2 Duo E8500 and a 4850 512mb want to upgrade GPU, without changing the CPU and without spending much (100-150$ top).
Can you suggest a new GPU that would not be limited by the CPU but that would give him a nice boost in performances? I was thinking about the R7 265 or the GTX 750ti.

What kind of games is he playing? I had a 7400 overclocked before upgrading my PC, and my CPU was the one holding me back. Even League of Legends wasn't running well. For that price range though the 265 is a great option. Tigerdirect has 15$ off 100$ if you can get the coupon to work. I had the Sapphire R7 265 for a little while and it was great. I believe it runs $160 and free shipping.

TronLight

What kind of games is he playing? I had a 7400 overclocked before upgrading my PC, and my CPU was the one holding me back. Even League of Legends wasn't running well. For that price range though the 265 is a great option. Tigerdirect has 15$ off 100$ if you can get the coupon to work. I had the Sapphire R7 265 for a little while and it was great. I believe it runs $160 and free shipping.

Every kind of game. He's not a graphic whore, but you know, if he could squeeze some more life out of his pc for not too much he'd be happy.

Chozolore

So I want to buy all the parts for my PC today and the cooler I wanted to get is out of stock all of a sudden. Buying everything from one site saves me shipping costs. So what's a good alternative for the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo? I found the Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW) but it's a bit more expensive. Do you know cheaper alternatives? This is the rest of my setup.

GI9ZVmb.jpg

Not sure you'd need anything above the stock cooler with that cpu.

def sim

I'm loving those new noctua fans. My current flesh/burgundy thing is good enough, but I'll be looking at those new ones when I do another build in the next year or so.

mkenyon

Banned
IMO, the pricing on those is totally fucked. There's a lot of fans out there that perform better for less. Short list:

Cougar Vortex
Noiseblocker eLoop
Phobya G-Nano
Noiseblocker M12-S2
Coolermaster JetFlo (these are pretty much on par with Gentle Typhoons, which are the best bar none, but aren't made anymore)
Arctic Cooling F12

IMO, the pricing on those is totally fucked. There's a lot of fans out there that perform better for less. Short list:

Cougar Vortex
Noiseblocker eLoop
Phobya G-Nano
Noiseblocker M12-S2
Coolermaster JetFlo (these are pretty much on par with Gentle Typhoons, which are the best bar none, but aren't made anymore)
Arctic Cooling F12

Do any of these move as much air as quietly as the Noctuas? My Gentle Typhoons move air, but they get loud as the rpm's go up.

Ashhong

Cougar Vortex
Noiseblocker eLoop
Phobya G-Nano
Noiseblocker M12-S2
Arctic Cooling F12

No love for Phanteks? From what limited research I did, they move as much or sometimes more air than Noctua, and with less noise. Need to find me a good quiet one..

Every kind of game. He's not a graphic whore, but you know, if he could squeeze some more life out of his pc for not too much he'd be happy.

IIRC, online focused games like League and such are more taxing on the CPU. I asked because it might not be worth upgrading just the video card if he in fact needs a CPU upgrade.

TronLight

IIRC, online focused games like League and such are more taxing on the CPU. I asked because it might not be worth upgrading just the video card if he in fact needs a CPU upgrade.

A CPU upgrade it's defintely overdue but he can't right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom