• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Almost forgot about another new fans that's supposedly the bee's knees.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=40778

aercool-fans1.jpg

Do any of these move as much air as quietly as the Noctuas? My Gentle Typhoons move air, but they get loud as the rpm's go up.

imo the only Noctua worth getting is the Nf-P14 which they discontinued but are reintroducing as a redux model with 1500rpm PWM, grey color and lower price so that might be interesting. Besides that they aren't as good as people think.

Almost forgot about another new fans that's supposedly the bee's knees.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=40778

aercool-fans1.jpg

Yayks! Those are bold

Monkeybutlerz

Neo Member
Been thinking about upgrading my PC lately, but I've been hesitating.

I'm currently running with:
i7 930 @3.8GHz
GTX 580 x2 SLI
6 GB RAM
SSD
1440p 120Hz monitor

I can't max out everything at 1440p 120Hz and I'm hoping to hold out until Broadwell or Skylake releases.

Would it make sense to upgrade my GPU now and upgrade the rest once the newer processors release? If so, is there a GPU out there that would offer a substantial upgrade in performance over my two GTX580s for about $500?

If not, it might make more sense to wait, just thought I'd seek some expert input :)

mkenyon

Banned
Been thinking about upgrading my PC lately, but I've been hesitating.

I'm currently running with:
i7 930 @3.8GHz
GTX 580 x2 SLI
6 GB RAM
SSD
1440p 120Hz monitor

I can't max out everything at 1440p 120Hz and I'm hoping to hold out until Broadwell or Skylake releases.

Would it make sense to upgrade my GPU now and upgrade the rest once the newer processors release? If so, is there a GPU out there that would offer a substantial upgrade in performance over my two GTX580s for about $500?

If not, it might make more sense to wait, just thought I'd seek some expert input :)
The 780 will give you a much smoother gaming experience than SLI 580s, but it's not a huge upgrade. The 290X would be more of an upgrade. Your processor will hold you back in a number of games that are CPU heavy, especially multiplayer games, UE3 games, Source games, and MMOs. A lot of the stutters and hiccups you might feel will still exist.

Seeing as you went with the enthusiast socket (1366 vs 1156), you might consider Haswell-E or Devil's Canyon (Haswell redux) which should be out some time later next month.

Rafy

Hey guys, I am looking for some advice, I am looking to buy a cheap mobo for my rig.
Initially I was gonna go with the ASrock z87 Pro4 but I though that z97 could have some cheap good mobos within 20 euros of the Pro4. I found this one but MSI says that's for litecoin mining on their site. The only thing that worries me is the ALC892 instead of ALC1150 but ultimately I don't care since I get the M.2 interface.Do you think it's going to be good for gaming and slight overclocking?
This is the one:
gwem44_1.jpg

http://www.alternate.it/MSI/Z97-U3-Plus-Z97-RG-SA/html/product/1138728?

This is really really strange. I'd look at possibly starting the RMA process after doing the usual routine (clean driver installation, etc).

Since I disabled Shadowplay it all went back to normal, which is a shame because I'd really like to use the program. I'll clean the drivers out (currently using the 337.50 beta) and go back to the previous set (335.23 WHQL).

mkenyon

Banned
Since I disabled Shadowplay it all went back to normal, which is a shame because I'd really like to use the program. I'll clean the drivers out (currently using the 337.50 beta) and go back to the previous set (335.23 WHQL).
Yeah, super weird. Though it might be an issue with the H.264 encoder on the actual card.

Jafku

Hey dudes, I was looking around for a new build and saw a combo deal from Newegg with pretty similar shit to what I was looking for.

Is this a good deal?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1492906

How about this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3JtHn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3JtHn/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3JtHn/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($80.76 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $830.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-13 19:11 EDT-0400)

Don't Know if you need a dvd-drive. Both rigs dont include windows either. With this you get a GTX 760 instead of a 660. Also imo Western Digital is a better brand of hard drive than Seagate.

theytookourjobz

I was able to get another promo code to stack to get it down to $810 shipped. And add onto that another $85 in mail-in rebates. Is the 760 that much better than the 660?

Jafku

I was able to get another promo code to stack to get it down to $810 shipped. And add onto that another $85 in mail-in rebates. Is the 760 that much better than the 660?
The 760 performs faster than the 660. It's of course up to you. Maybe you can get that rig, sell the 660 and get a 760?

i7 4790k @ 4ghz/4.4ghz tubro?

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34720-intel-leaks-4ghz-devil’s-canyon-core-i7-4790k

isn't the 4790k a refresh of the 3570k? How on earth could it hit clock sppeds that are impressive for a good aircooler on stock? Fake I am assuming...

It's a refresh of the i7-4770k. It's easy, they binned all the chips that tested very well and saved them for a seperate Extreme Edition SKU. It's the same thing manufacturers have done for years. That's how Nvidia decided what to use for Titans. They made a bunch of GK110 GPU's and the ones that tested well became various Tesla GPU's, the ones with faulty FP64 units became Titans, and if the FP64 was completely bunked 780's.

EDIT: TPU has some more information. High quality chips that were binned with extra high quality voltage controls and customized packaging to keep thermals in check (Sandy Bridge-era soldered TIM's probably).

Stubo

They're not the K chips, no-one really knows yet. If the heat is actually getting out of the chip properly now, it's entirely possible!

They're not the K chips, no-one really knows yet. If the heat is actually getting out of the chip properly now, it's entirely possible!

Sandy Bridge launched with soldered on IHS's which provides better contact and thus better heat dissipation, for Ivy and Haswell they used--basically--thermal past, which is cheaper to manufacture. That's why an i5-2500K can clock notably higher than an i5-3570k. The belief is that these two will use solder instead of thermal paste which means you'll get Haswell's higher base clock and power usage, wth Sandy Bridge's overclockability and thermals.

LilJoka

Guru3D
SKU Cores Threads Clock L3 cache iGPU Unlocked
Core i7-4790K 4 8 3.6 GHz/ 4.0 Ghz 8 MB HD 4600 Yes

mkenyon

Banned
Interesting. Was kind of hoping for the fudzilla rumors to be true, was even close to picking up a Maximus VII Gene.
Sandy Bridge launched with soldered on IHS's which provides better contact and thus better heat dissipation, for Ivy and Haswell they used--basically--thermal past, which is cheaper to manufacture. That's why an i5-2500K can clock notably higher than an i5-3570k. The belief is that these two will use solder instead of thermal paste which means you'll get Haswell's higher base clock and power usage, wth Sandy Bridge's overclockability and thermals.
As the owner of a 4770K that has the heatsink removed, with a waterblock sitting directly on the die, it's still hot. It's hotter than 4-5 different 2500Ks, a 3820, and two 3570Ks I've had.

The process shrink combined with the VRM being on die added up to a die that isn't able to dissipate heat as well as anything before it, despite lower power consumption.

I'm hoping the Devil's Canyon refresh addresses this in addition to the TIM issue.

Stubo

Yeah I know, that's why I wasn't 100% convinced by the 4690 and 4790's numbers necessarily suggesting the K models would be clocked equally.
Guru3D
SKU Cores Threads Clock L3 cache iGPU Unlocked
Core i7-4790K 4 8 3.6 GHz/ 4.0 Ghz 8 MB HD 4600 Yes
However this would suggest otherwise. As long as the solder has been used it isn't too important since everyone will be overclocking anyway!

mkenyon

Banned
Well, it's not *really* cheaper, in terms of performance:$. 20-30% increased performance for a little bit more in price is definitely worth it.

Josman

Can someone recommend me a monitor with picture in picture? I'd like to watch tv while I do some work and surf, around 24' inches is my budget, 1080p 60hz is good to me.

Edit: my tv box uses HDMI if it helps

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
hey guys,
i haven't really built a computer since...well a really long time (when ribbon cables and floppy drives were still a thing), and i am planing to build my next PC because i really miss having control in what goes into my tower and what doesn't. i was hoping some could run the numbers and tell me if this build works/will crash and burn. and what i can do to make it better/cheaper. thank you

hey guys,
i haven't really built a computer since...well a really long time (when ribbon cables and floppy drives were still a thing), and i am planing to build my next PC because i really miss having control in what goes into my tower and what doesn't. i was hoping some could run the numbers and tell me if this build works/will crash and burn. and what i can do to make it better/cheaper. thank you

i'd personally replace that HDD with a 1TB WD Blue

Just added a QNIX monitor to my new build and was able to overclock it to 100. I'm amazed at this monitor. It seemingly has no problems other than the janky screen controls and turd of a stand. All easily solvable problems. My DOTA2 never looked so good!

Ashhong

Wow, so I work retail and have been an Intel Edge member for a bit. My coworker told me about their annual summer deal coming up.

i7-4770k for only $111
OR
i7-4930k for $191

Any idea on which is better to resell? Gotta make some of the money back from this new PC somehow. That 4930k is a huge discount but I don't know how popular that high end of a CPU is

jakomocha

Okay guys, I know I haven't updated in a while but here is my current build. Check mark means I've already bought it.
PCPartPicker part list
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $320.00) ✓
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $150.00) ✓
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $69.99) ✓
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($126.42 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card (Purchased For $534.99) ✓
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $90.00) ✓
Power Supply: Antec HCG M 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.88 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $18.53) ✓
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $15.00) ✓
Monitor: QNIX QX2710 Ultimate Perfect Pixel 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (Purchased For $368.90) ✓
Case Fan: Cougar Vortex PWM 70.5 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $5.00) ✓
Total: $1918.69

What do you guys think? I went with the Classified simply due to its amazing overclocking potential. I love my case, I'm surprised for something supposedly "mid-sized" that it is as big as it is though. Currently, I'm not sure what to do about a CPU cooler though. I guess I may overclock a little with my CPU, but not a huge amount (unlike what I plan on doing with my monitor and GPU) because it seems a little less needed for that. A liquid cooler seems like overkill, but I have one selected simply because of how cheap it is compared to other liquid coolers. Would it even fit in my tower? How is this one (keep in mind that it's refurbished)? Would that fit in my tower? If I don't really need them, what CPU cooler would you guys recommend (or should I just stick with the stock ones)?

What gaming mouse and keyboard should I get? I'm gaming at 1440p, so what DPI would you guys say is suitable for that? I really like the CM Storm Xornet due to it's cheap price and still seemingly great quality, what do you think? And as for keyboards, how is the Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard Striker RK-6000? It's very cheap in terms of mechanical keyboards, but the backspace key and L key are very oddly shaped and this could be very annoying. How's the Microsoft Sidewinder X4? It's not mechanical.

Oh, and what do you guys think of the SSHD + SSD setup? Is it stupid? Would I be better off getting just an SSHD or a SSD with a HDD?

EDIT:
Wow, so I work retail and have been an Intel Edge member for a bit. My coworker told me about their annual summer deal coming up.

i7-4770k for only $111
OR
i7-4930k for $191

Any idea on which is better to resell? Gotta make some of the money back from this new PC somehow. That 4930k is a huge discount but I don't know how popular that high end of a CPU is

Oh come on! I just spent $320 for a 4770k :(. I feel like an idiot.

Ashhong

Okay guys, I know I haven't updated in a while but here is my current build. Check mark means I've already bought it.
PCPartPicker part list
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $320.00) ✓
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $150.00) ✓
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $69.99) ✓
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($126.42 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card (Purchased For $534.99) ✓
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $90.00) ✓
Power Supply: Antec HCG M 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.88 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $18.53) ✓
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $15.00) ✓
Monitor: QNIX QX2710 Ultimate Perfect Pixel 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (Purchased For $368.90) ✓
Case Fan: Cougar Vortex PWM 70.5 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $5.00) ✓
Total: $1918.69

What do you guys think? I went with the Classified simply due to its amazing overclocking potential. I love my case, I'm surprised for something supposedly "mid-sized" that it is as big as it is though. Currently, I'm not sure what to do about a CPU cooler though. I guess I may overclock a little with my CPU, but not a huge amount (unlike what I plan on doing with my monitor and GPU) because it seems a little less needed for that. A liquid cooler seems like overkill, but I have one selected simply because of how cheap it is compared to other liquid coolers. Would it even fit in my tower? How is this one (keep in mind that it's refurbished)? Would that fit in my tower? If I don't really need them, what CPU cooler would you guys recommend (or should I just stick with the stock ones)?

What gaming mouse and keyboard should I get? I'm gaming at 1440p, so what DPI would you guys say is suitable for that? I really like the CM Storm Xornet due to it's cheap price and still seemingly great quality, what do you think? And as for keyboards, how is the Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard Striker RK-6000? It's very cheap in terms of mechanical keyboards, but the backspace key and L key are very oddly shaped and this could be very annoying. How's the Microsoft Sidewinder X4? It's not mechanical.

Oh, and what do you guys think of the SSHD + SSD setup? Is it stupid? Would I be better off getting just an SSHD or a SSD with a HDD?

EDIT:

Oh come on! I just spent $320 for a 4770k :(. I feel like an idiot.

Well, you have to be a qualifying retail employee to get these deals, which sucks too. So don't feel too bad lol

PS. Just get an SSD for booting and an HDD for media and other stuff. That's what I have and it is more than enough. No need for SSHD imo.

jakomocha

Well, you have to be a qualifying retail employee to get these deals, which sucks too. So don't feel too bad lol

PS. Just get an SSD for booting and an HDD for media and other stuff. That's what I have and it is more than enough. No need for SSHD imo.

Oh haha, now I feel like even more of an idiot.

Yeah, I'm thinking of just getting an HDD for media, games, etc. but the price difference between that and a SSHD is pretty minimal (~$20) so it may be worth the upgrade.

M3z_

i7-4770k for only $111
OR
i7-4930k for $191

4930K is the better CPU, but at the same time a 4770k is no chump also currently is the better value in terms of % off retail price, but that being said 4770k is about to be iterated on.

If you went with the 4930k you would spend more money on the cpu and force yourself to spend more money on the board, you could get the 4770k for less and spend a lot less on the board for it as well. Unless you need hexacore performance no reason to go that route even if the opportunity for it is rare. I made that mistake when I got the opportunity to get a brand new 3960X for $400. I though holy crap that's $600 off and it's hexacore, black lable, blah blah blah, but it was still much more than I needed and I ended up selling it because I wanted to put the money elsewhere.

4930K is the better CPU, but at the same time a 4770k is no chump currently is the better value in terms of % off retail price, but that being said 4770k is about to be iterated on.

If you went with the 4930k you would spend more money on the cpu and force yourself to spend more money on the board, you could get the 4770k for less and spend a lot less on the board for it as well. Unless you need hexacore performance no reason to go that route even if the opportunity for it is rare. I made that mistake when I got the opportunity to get a brand new 3960X for $400. I though holy crap that's $600 off and it's hexacore, black lable, blah blah blah, but it was still much more than I needed and I ended up selling it because I wanted to put the money elsewhere.

they're specifically getting one of those to resell, not putting one in a build

M3z_

they're specifically getting one of those to resell, not putting one in a build

oh lol, didn't see that part, look at ebay and estimate your margins. My guess is that the 4930k will be a better margin because devils canyon is about to drop and demand for a 4770k would likely be lower because of that.

Hm how loud do your Typhoons get? According to mkenyon's charts those seem to be the quietest and best fans..

It's not the magnitude of the noise, it's the quality. Mkenyon linked a review that mentioned the bearing whine of the Typhoon. I have two Typhoon's as intakes, one F12 Noctua on my heatsink, and one as my rear exhaust. During normal operation, the tone of the Typhoon's is just audible enough to make me want something else.

I've opened my case and turned all the fans to 100% to test the noises, the Noctuas on my heatsink and exhaust sound better to me. Purely subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom