• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinkz

I'm looking to buy some new PC parts and I currently have a GeForce GTX 550 Ti... Being totally clueless and never having truly had a gaming pc how does that hold up on newer games.

Any help or if someone could PM me some decent PC parts for a PC build between 800-1000 would be appreciated.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm looking to buy some new PC parts and I currently have a GeForce GTX 550 Ti... Being totally clueless and never having truly had a gaming pc how does that hold up on newer games.

Any help or if someone could PM me some decent PC parts for a PC build between 800-1000 would be appreciated.
Help yourself and read the OP and fill out the bullet points.

People can't help if they don't even know what it'll be used for and new CPUs might be dropping in 2 weeks.

Dunbar

There are two builds in the OP for $825 and $1010 that would probably do the job. I used the OP when starting to research and it's been a huge help. People in here will answer any questions you have too.

Smokey

Yessssssssss

It was indeed the Seasonic PSU that was causing my issues. Today meant war...it was a battle I was losing and I was becoming fatigued. I got some energy and went for the win. Took my ass down the street to Microcenter like

biDFHU0.gif

And picked up this bad boy:

Ran Heaven and Valley benchmarks. They both completed and I was all

ibaruVtOnblJ1L.gif

Then I turned the machine off. Pressed the power button and it came back on ;_;. Then I felt like

iCW4FyYOuluxP.gif

I wanted a bigger PSU for Tri-SLI in the future anyway, this just accelerated the process. Wanted the Corsair 1200i but it was $350. Wasn't about dat life. This EVGA was $230 so here we are. Now I gotta RMA the Seasonic...guess I'll keep the new unit as a backup.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
Yessssssssss

It was indeed the Seasonic PSU that was causing my issues. Today meant war...it was a battle I was losing and I was becoming fatigued. I got some energy and went for the win. Took my ass down the street to Microcenter like

biDFHU0.gif

ibaruVtOnblJ1L.gif

Then I turned the machine off. Pressed the power button and it came back on ;_;. Then I felt like

iCW4FyYOuluxP.gif

I wanted a bigger PSU for Tri-SLI in the future anyway, this just accelerated the process. Wanted the Corsair 1200i but it was $350. Wasn't about dat life. This EVGA was $230 so here we are. Now I gotta RMA the Seasonic...guess I'll keep the new unit as a backup.

Gratz happy for you, I ordered the exact same one

Yessssssssss

biDFHU0.gif

ibaruVtOnblJ1L.gif

iCW4FyYOuluxP.gif

Haha. Victory is yours

So I think I've decided on the 4790 chip with an H97 motherboard, but I haven't picked out the final parts yet. However, if I order a 780 soon, I can get a free copy of Watch Dogs. And getting a $50 game free when ordering $1500 in PC parts is pretty important to me. But, searching GTX 780 on Amazon gives you about 6 cards to choose from. Is one model much better than the others? I was looking at the Superclocked and Classified, specifically. They're about the same price and seem comparable feature wise.

The Classified has beefier power circuitry meant for some extreme overclocking on LN2.

Guess I will hold off. I didn't even think about the flooded market with used video cards since mining isn't as profitable anymore.

They are literally flooding the market at the moment. So tempting to pick one or two up

Dunbar

The Classified has beefier power circuitry meant for some extreme overclocking on LN2.
Throughout this process, I've been consistently amazed by the amount of hardware that is designed specifically to be overclocked. The last time I bought PC hardware, overclocking was attempted only by the most elite of hardware ninjas.

Is there any way I can search for hardware (chip/mobo/video/RAM) that ISN'T intended for overclocking? That would suit me best. No point paying more for the potential to overclock when I'm never going to use it.

TheMink

Yeah, lots of motherboards have them already, but there's always space to add your own expansion card.

What's the total budget that you're looking at? I'd really suggest avoiding the AMD side of things for a gaming PC. They make great HTPCs and budget multimedia creation/workstations though.

Im trying for 800-900 bucks but heres what ive got so far:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.32 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H630 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($249.23 @ Amazon)
Total: $1081.49

Throughout this process, I've been consistently amazed by the amount of hardware that is designed specifically to be overclocked. The last time I bought PC hardware, overclocking was attempted only by the most elite of hardware ninjas.

Is there any way I can search for hardware (chip/mobo/video/RAM) that ISN'T intended for overclocking? That would suit me best. No point paying more for the potential to overclock when I'm never going to use it.

Just buy the non classified superclocked version. If the price is the same the Classified is an amazing card that comes with a great cooler and one of the highest factory clocks out there. It's just a little bigger than the superclocked card.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Yessssssssss

haha, the story of Smokey's PC continues :)
Congrats on finding the culprit and nice upgrade.

kennah

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($379.99 @ Amazon)

I know I'm always saying that I don't believe in bottle necks... but.. lol.

Just finished upgrading to the H440 a bit ago. I'm impressed so far. Much quieter, great cable management. I was upgrading from the ancient Antec 900 though. Great recommendation, thanks GAF.

Diablos

TheMink said:

$109 for a 6300 isn't that big of a savings since it is normally $119; just go with an i5 (or Haswell i3 even) -- I have the 6300 mind you, and it is a solid CPU, but at this point you'd be better off with Intel. It gets a lot of hate, a lot of times unjustified -- but it is true that the FX series is going nowhere, and most of the boards suck due to shitty VRM design (especially mine, the 970A-G46). You can OC the 6300 to death with the right board, sadly I'm not comfortable going past 3.8-3.9GHz because my board tends to be a liability, although after nearly a year of running my 6300 at a light OC it hasn't died on me yet. Knock on wood.

Between AMD giving up on FX and focusing Kaveri which seems really dumb, I'm quite disappointed. I don't want to see their CPU's lose more marketshare, however... it would just let Intel price their CPU's even higher. I hope they can pull something worthwhile out of their ass in the next couple years, of course they are probably happy to have a lot of cash rolling in from PS4/Xbone/WiiU.

Anyway, I came in here for some suggestions -- I'm looking to replace my case because it is old and really sucks. I need suggestions. Kind of wishing I bought a MicroATX board last year, but oh well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
This looks like a /r/buildapc build. Is it?

I would favor a more balanced machine so your low points are higher even if your high points are lower (CPU/GPU/power balance).

It's hard for me to justify throwing down $800 on a PC tower with no upgrade path and already not so great IPC with that kind of GPU+monitor grunt.
For a good amount of titles it is absolutely the most FPS/$ though. The downside is some RTS/Strategy/Open World will have pretty bad lows.
Anyway, I came in here for some suggestions -- I'm looking to replace my case because it is old and really sucks. I need suggestions. Kind of wishing I bought a MicroATX board last year, but oh well.
$?
Form Factor?

Enthoo Pro is releasing soon and is the best thing since sliced bread for $99.
$109 for a 6300 isn't that big of a savings since it is normally $119; just go with an i5 (or Haswell i3 even) -- I have the 6300 mind you, and it is a solid CPU, but at this point you'd be better off with Intel. It gets a lot of hate, a lot of times unjustified -- but it is true that the FX series is going nowhere, and most of the boards suck due to shitty VRM design (especially mine, the 970A-G46). You can OC the 6300 to death with the right board, sadly I'm not comfortable going past 3.8-3.9GHz because my board tends to be a liability, although after nearly a year of running my 6300 at a light OC it hasn't died on me yet. Knock on wood.

Between AMD giving up on FX and focusing Kaveri which seems really dumb, I'm quite disappointed. I don't want to see their CPU's lose more marketshare, however... it would just let Intel price their CPU's even higher. I hope they can pull something worthwhile out of their ass in the next couple years, of course they are probably happy to have a lot of cash rolling in from PS4/Xbone/WiiU.
~$70(?) unlocked Pentium is coming out and still needs a $100 motherboard gg Intel

IMACOMPUTA

Got the Fractal R4 white/window today.

This thing is huge!
And I mean that in a good way.. There's so much space.

I was able to get everything in nice and clean and have really good temps.

No wonder gaf is crazy about this thing.

Diablos

$?
Form Factor?
Less than $80 ($50 would be great), ATX.

~$70(?) unlocked Pentium is coming out and still needs a $100 motherboard gg Intel
lol, the difference is they have i3/i5 and AMD nuked the best thing they had going for it (FX) and ushered in Kaveri which just makes no sense. I wish they would have kept the FX line alive. Instead they came out with 220W FX frankenchips and ran away.

Because the mATX ones catch on fire. No joke.

Not enough space on an ITX board to provide enough power.

So building a Watch_Dogs capable PC on Mini-ITX is impossible under AMD then... since the 750K or 760K (FM2 slot) is shit compared to a (1150 slot) 22nm 85w Haswell i5... right?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Less than $80 ($50 would be great), ATX.

lol, the difference is they have i3/i5 and AMD nuked the best thing they had going for it (FX) and ushered in Kaveri which just makes no sense. I wish they would have kept the FX line alive. Instead they came out with 220W FX frankenchips and ran away.
IDK man :(

Shinobi gets my vote since I've actually built in it. That soft plastic stuff is super nice and makes the case feel a lot more expensive.
So building a Watch_Dogs capable PC on Mini-ITX is impossible under AMD then... since the 750K or 760K (FM2 slot) is shit compared to a (1150 slot) 22nm 85w Haswell i5... right?
ITX is Intel-land if you want to run some demanding games.

Any decent Intel CPUs/Mobo's/RAM combo that would be ideal for running games like watch_dogs or emulating dolphin? can one i5-4690 suffice for those tasks or would an i7 be a minimum?

can't speak on watch_dogs given that it isn't even out yet, but dolphin relies on IPC and i7s don't have that much of advantage in that department over i5s

basically if it's an unlocked i5 (pref. haswell), a Z87/Z97 motherboard, and at least 4 gigs of RAM you're good on that front.

kennah

Any decent Intel CPUs/Mobo's/RAM combo that would be ideal for running games like watch_dogs or emulating dolphin? can one i5-4690 suffice for those tasks or would an i7 be a minimum?

WHO THE FUCK KNOWS (anger not directed at you, just the question in general).

What budget? Your best bet is a K model CPU that fits your budget. Dolphin loves the Haswell series of chips, for some reason they are very very efficient at running it.

As For WatchDogs - we won't know until it comes out. Wait a week for the possible new Intel chips and for the game to actually be released.

backlot

Can anyone recommend any software to monitor the internal temperature of your PC? I just built one and I want to make sure it isn't getting too hot.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Came home today and audio in one ear is off and on.

Got my ATH-AD700's 3.5 years ago (For $90 new SUCK IT CANADA), hopefully I can fix em. Otherwise It's time to try a Superlux. Or see how different the ADX700 is.

Prettttty sure I can fix it. Nothing beats mega comfy, but I wouldn't mind a bit more bass.

l08jolc.jpg

No one knows yet. Also watch_dogs will be bad and will run like poop so who cares.

Unlocked i5 is basically made for Dolphin. I'd get the K so you can undervolt AND overclock if you need to.
Can anyone recommend any software to monitor the internal temperature of your PC? I just built one and I want to make sure it isn't getting too hot.
Bottom of OP

Yes I wish intel would face some stiff competition in the desktop cpu market but sadly it's not happening

can't speak on watch_dogs given that it isn't even out yet, but dolphin relies on IPC and i7s don't have that much of advantage in that department over i5s

basically if it's a IB/haswell i5 (e: ESPECIALLY HASWELL, see below), a compatible motherboard, and at least 4 gigs of RAM you're good on that front.
Good to know decent Haswell i5 might do the trick, I'm considering a: Intel Core i5-4690 Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I54690

since I want to have a fast enough CPU so I dont have to overclock, without breaking the bank. Would OC'ing a CPU like that ever benefit Dolphin or poorly optimized Ubisoft games without killing the life of the CPU if it's on H20-cooling (like an H55 Quiet edition?)

WHO THE FUCK KNOWS (anger not directed at you, just the question in general).

What budget? Your best bet is a K model CPU that fits your budget. Dolphin loves the Haswell series of chips, for some reason they are very very efficient at running it.

As For WatchDogs - we won't know until it comes out. Wait a week for the possible new Intel chips and for the game to actually be released.
I'd like a CPU closer to $150 but i can afford closer to $200 (like this Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell 3.3GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I54590) as long as it'll directly benefit dolphin.

edit:
With regards to the Mobo im considering a Z97 (CPU OCing) or H97 (same but without CPU OCing). Price differences are up to $50USD between the two. As long as OC'ing a 22nm HAswell is safe on an H55 waterblock then I'll go for the Z97, otherwise I dont need the OCing and I'll just settle for an H97.

kennah

Your best bet for dolphin is the 4670K or the upcoming one that is supposed to be released kn a couple weeks. Dolphin needs a lot of raw single threaded juice. Which is exactly what an overclocked Haswell is.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Good to know decent Haswell i5 might do the trick, I'm considering a: Intel Core i5-4690 Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I54690

since I want to have a fast enough CPU so I dont have to overclock, without breaking the bank. Would OC'ing a CPU like that ever benefit Dolphin or poorly optimized Ubisoft games without killing the life of the CPU if it's on H20-cooling (like an H55 Quiet edition?)

I'd like a CPU closer to $150 but i can afford closer to $200 (like this Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell 3.3GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I54590) if it'll directly benefit dolphin with a 4th Gen 22nm Intel Haswell.
We'll see if DC (4690K) is limited at all by heat or not, we don't know.
More Ghz is fantastic for Dolphin. There are some games that want 4.4Ghz for full speed emulation for example.

The suggestion towards Z97 is for longevity, but you can drop in a used 4670K if you are on a tighter budget.

We'll see if DC (4690K) is limited at all by heat or not, we don't know.
More Ghz is fantastic for Dolphin. There are some games that want 4.4Ghz for full speed emulation for example.

The suggestion towards Z97 is for longevity, but you can drop in a used 4670K if you are on a tighter budget.

wow you really know your stuff and yes I am looking for longevity, did you see my edit above about H97/Z97? What should I consider as futureproofing features, support for higher RAM frequencies (up to 3200), On-board Wifi-AC, Displayport? I'd like it to last me a few years and to use it alongside 4K once that mainstreams, etc.

edit: ah yes, your're right about that Longevity, I will learn from my past and NOT skimp on the Mobo, how is the Z97 ASUS i posted above?

EDIT2: here's a build I've cooked up from your suggestions, guys: http://amzn.com/w/1MG12QNODC9U1 any suggestions/constructive criticisms? please

EDIT: I dont need a GPU, I've got a spare ASUS 770GTX DC2U

appaws

Banned

Please look at the suggested builds in the OP for your price range. They will be so much better.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm pretty sure my headphones just have a small tear in the wire leading into the headphone, inside the earpiece. Should be able to fix it woo.
wow you really know your stuff and yes I am looking for longevity, did you see my edit above about H97/Z97? What should I consider as futureproofing features, support for higher RAM frequencies (up to 3200), On-board Wifi-AC, Displayport? I'd like it to last me a few years and to use it alongside 4K once that mainstreams, etc.

edit: ah yes, your're right about that Longevity, I will learn from my past and NOT skimp on the Mobo, how is the Z97 ASUS i posted above?

EDIT2: here's a build I've cooked up from your suggestions, guys: http://amzn.com/w/1MG12QNODC9U1 any suggestions/constructive criticisms? please

EDIT: I dont need a GPU, I've got a spare ASUS 770GTX DC2U
IDK
The ASUS ITX boards have been the better ones in the past TMK and as an overall package I don't think you can go wrong.
The ASUS and the GB both have Realtek ALC892 audio vs the ALC1150 on the MSI Gaming and ASRock. I'd prefer a larger brand for an ITX board though over ASRock.
But the ASRock has the best value on paper with AALC1150 and an Intel NIC (Killer NIC issues like on the MSI Gaming are probably all fine, but hey).

COMPARISON

DDR3 support past 2400 doesn't matter for jack shit.

The wait right now is for 4690K release and benches anyway so you get to sit tight (Hoping for 5Ghz OC's) unless you want to buy a used 4670K for cheap.
Will also get some of these mobos into the wild so people can have proper feedback on them.

On the build it looks good, but you'll want dual channel RAM (so 2x4GB or 2x8GB).

I'm pretty sure my headphones just have a small tear in the wire leading into the headphone, inside the earpiece. Should be able to fix it woo.

IDK
The ASUS ITX boards have been the better ones in the past TMK and as an overall package I don't think you can go wrong.
The ASUS and the GB both have Realtek ALC892 audio vs the ALC1150 on the MSI Gaming and ASRock. I'd prefer a larger brand for an ITX board though over ASRock.
But the ASRock has the best value on paper with AALC1150 and an Intel NIC (Killer NIC issues like on the MSI Gaming are probably all fine, but hey).

COMPARISON

DDR3 support past 2400 doesn't matter for jack shit.

The wait right now is for 4690K release and benches anyway so you get to sit tight (Hoping for 5Ghz OC's) unless you want to buy a used 4670K for cheap.
Will also get some of these mobos into the wild so people can have proper feedback on them.

On the build it looks good, but you'll want dual channel RAM (so 2x4GB or 2x8GB).

Yeah ASUS Mobo's have always had high quality caps and components as a whole, which I'll need if I'm going for longevity on this build. I'm not so keen on the differences between the ALC892 or ALC1150, I did some research and i probably won't be noticing the difference due to my older stereo setup.

Good to know about the RAM clocks not being of importance past 2400, I'll wait for the 4690K benchmarks. Then I'll come in here and just double check with y'all before pulling the trigger on this baby.

Unbelievable to think I can build a PC for this price (minus $300USD for my 770) and fit everything into such a sleek mini-ITX case. we are in the future. I say this as i look at my current build, (circa 2007-today: phenom 2 940/GTX770/2x2GB/ASUS crosshair (v1) sitting in my Cooler Master CM Stacker 830) cot damn the nostalgia is strong right now.

I'm HYPED! Thanks for the assistance, brocookie.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Past 1600/1866 is marginal btw. Don't sweat the RAM.
2133/2400 for integrated AMD APU and that's about it.

Otherwise enjoy paying 25%+ more for colors, giant heatsinks that do nothing, and <1% performance gains.

And yeah the base quality of everything is very good today with some nice competition.

kharma45

Well, right now, i'm learning Java for school. Not sure what other languages I may learn as I get further in the program. My HDD is a 500GB 7200 RPM WD. I was looking to get more storage though. Thanks for the help!

EDIT:
Is there a huge difference between the R9 280 and the X type? By the way, I would definitely not mind getting a beefier GPU to give it a bit more life.

The 280X is better and isn't that much more. Difference isn't huge but it's probably just about enough to justify the extra if you can afford it.

Past 1600/1866 is marginal btw. Don't sweat the RAM.
2133/2400 for integrated AMD APU and that's about it.

Otherwise enjoy paying 25%+ more for colors, giant heatsinks that do nothing, and <1% performance gains.

And yeah the base quality of everything is very good today with some nice competition.

I'd not buy anything below 2133 for myself - that 25% diffrence is only 1 or 2% diffrence in the price of whole pc and you are leaving performance on the table.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/haswell-ddr3_7.html#sect0

Thief might be extreme case but we don't know how other games designed for consoles with much faster memory than previous gen will behave

thief-2.png

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd not buy anything below 2133 for myself - that 25% diffrence is only 1 or 2% diffrence in the price of whole pc and you are leaving performance on the table.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/haswell-ddr3_7.html#sect0

Thief might be extreme case but we don't know how other games designed for consoles with much faster memory than previous gen will behave

thief-2.png
It's okay I have 4 sticks of Samsung ULV magic RAM :D

Well I'll be damned if some game finally does better.
I wonder how much of it is Haswell +
Processor: Intel Core i5-4670K (overclocked to 4.4 GHz, Haswell)
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti

In the past (and only a few months ago) all the memory benches I've seen were like this (same source as you for 1080p gaming):
It does seem like Thief alone is an exception, but I could see a case for 1866+ if it trends that way with more titles.
e3E2a4M.png

I wonder if that source will bench watch_dogs once it comes out. To see if it's next_Gen engine is affected by ram frequencies. I'd also like to see 4670 and PC's 4670K benchmarks too.

TheMink

Thanks guys, I'm actually about 5 months away from building my PC.

Im saying 800-900 but i could go as high as 1200 probably. And i could forgo a monitor at the beginning. I'll look at the builds in the OP.

I've herd conflicting reports on the importance of a cpu for gaming. But if its the main recommendation ill up the anti.

It's okay I have 4 sticks of Samsung ULV magic RAM :D

Well I'll be damned if some game finally does better.
I wonder how much of it is Haswell +
Processor: Intel Core i5-4670K (overclocked to 4.4 GHz, Haswell)
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti

I'm still pissed off at myself that i missed that magic ram :)

Yeah it's Haswell only - Sandy/Ivy don't scale so good.

Also there's starcraft too:
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2014/march/haswellrealworld

but of course in this case grain of salt is needed due to who is benchmarking them :)

riflen

I wonder if that source will bench watch_dogs once it comes out. To see if it's next_Gen engine is affected by ram frequencies. I'd also like to see 4670 and PC's 4670K benchmarks too.

The Disrupt engine used by Watch_Dogs also runs on Xbox360 and PS3. So, don't expect too much progress where the PC port is concerned (it has to run on a 3 core/6 thread CPU). It's basically business as usual for the PC port, with perhaps a higher than normal RAM requirement.

Ubisoft have been stating that CPUs able to handle more than 4 threads will do much better in Watch_Dogs than those that cannot. However, their track record on this point is really rather terrible by all accounts. PC players are justifiably sceptical at this point. I don't think the game will test the top GPUs from last few years at all. I would like to be proven wrong on all this though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Im saying 800-900 but i could go as high as 1200 probably. And i could forgo a monitor at the beginning. I'll look at the builds in the OP.

I've herd conflicting reports on the importance of a cpu for gaming. But if its the main recommendation ill up the anti.
Come back at that time, the suggestions will be entirely different.
I'm still pissed off at myself that i missed that magic ram :)

Yeah it's Haswell only - Sandy/Ivy don't scale so good.

Also there's starcraft too:
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2014/march/haswellrealworld

but of course in this case grain of salt is needed due to who is benchmarking them :)
Corsair should make some fast RAM then :p

Looks like with those examples more clock speed makes the gap bigger as well. Guess I'll move at least 1866Mhz+ and change the info boxes when the new chips hit.
Good to know, but I'm still on Ivy so I'll let my Samsungs simmer at 1600 HAHAHA. I do have an extra set I should sell though.

TheMink

Come back at that time, the suggestions will be entirely different.

Ya, that what im expecting. But for now im just building a higher end PC and then seeing how much the price of the parts im looking at go down.
Is this better?:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($146.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H630 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1048.94

Dont worry about HDD and SSD, its the only things i already have. I picked the parts based off of the "enthusiast" build in the OP. Critique plz :3

appaws

Banned

The CPU is definetly not the main consideration for a gaming build. Games are primarily limited these days by the GPU for the most part. I believe someone earlier in the thread used the term "balance." I will also throw out the term "price/performance" as a primary way of selecting parts.

If you do 1200 bucks you are looking at a really good 1080p build with an i5. But do check back, 5 months is a long time in the PC hardware game.

Dries

Might as well ask here too:

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my GPU and I've set my sights on a Nvidia GTX 770 2GB. However, my current rig is more or less 2 years old and I'm wondering if my current rig and a new GTX 770 would work well together. Basically, I'm worried that some stuff on my current rig would bottleneck a new 770. Here's my rig:

CPU: i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 - ATX - LGA1155 Socket - Z68
Memory: 8 GB ram
Power: Cooler Master Silent Pro M700
Resolution: 1920 x 1080

So guys, how would an upgrade to an GTX 770 work out with these specs? Right now I have a ATI 6970. Thanks!

wowzors

Might as well ask here too:

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my GPU and I've set my sights on a Nvidia GTX 770 2GB. However, my current rig is more or less 2 years old and I'm wondering if my current rig and a new GTX 770 would work well together. Basically, I'm worried that some stuff on my current rig would bottleneck a new 770. Here's my rig:

CPU: i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 - ATX - LGA1155 Socket - Z68
Memory: 8 GB ram
Power: Cooler Master Silent Pro M700
Resolution: 1920 x 1080

So guys, how would an upgrade to an GTX 770 work out with these specs? Right now I have a ATI 6970. Thanks!

Get a 212 air cooler put it on the 2500k. Overclock the 2500k to 4.5ghz, and you should be good. Maybe add a 8 more gb of ram but i dont see you being bottle necked.

If your going for an upgrade your going to have to replace the mobo and cpu as the new socket is 1150.

appaws

Banned
Ya, that what im expecting. But for now im just building a higher end PC and then seeing how much the price of the parts im looking at go down.
Is this better?:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($146.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H630 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1048.94

Dont worry about HDD and SSD, its the only things i already have. I picked the parts based off of the "enthusiast" build in the OP. Critique plz :3

Presumably 5 months out, you are going to go "Devil's Canyon" i5 to go with that Z97 board. You will want a nice CPU cooler to go with that for OCing.

Nice pick on the GPU as of today. We will see what that looks like when you are ready to buy.

Pick a different power supply, look for a fully modular one. I believe the OP has some in that same price range.

Cases are personal preference. Just do your homework. Lots of good video reviews of cases. Check out OC3D, Hardware Canucks, and TastyPC for video reviews of cases. TTL at OC3d is particularly godlike on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom