• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalm

Ah, thanks. Still... If you have time, I'd appreciate any advice. Just consider this a gaming PC only. That's the main reason I'm getting it. The 3D/Post stuff is currently only a hobby that I even do now, with my Q6600 CPU, my 8800GTS 512 GPU and 4 GB of ram. I'll probably buy a workstation (or a hybrid system) when/if I decide to take it more seriously.

Well, ignoring the workstation stuff:

You almost definitely don't need a full-tower case unless you're going eATX w/ multiple gpu's.

Generally speaking, you don't need a Z'series chipset unless you pair it with a K'series cpu. Save some money and get a H'series board with only the features you absolutely need. If you plan on sticking with a single GPU for a long time, you can even go mATX without losing performance.

For gaming, you'd be hard pressed to get any use out of more than 8gb of memory. This is where it gets murky for me as workstations usually seem to stack memory so it must be important in those situations.

I hope this helps (a little). :)

EDIT:

The i7 4790k is at 4.0ghz up to 4.4ghz turbo? I think that's a mistake

Didn't they already, officially announce that Devil's Canyon would introduce the first 4.0ghz stock clock?

I thought this was common knowledge for a while now.

Kal1138

Neo Member
Well, ignoring the workstation stuff:

You almost definitely don't need a full-tower case unless you're going eATX w/ multiple gpu's.

Generally speaking, you don't need a Z'series chipset unless you pair it with a K'series cpu. Save some money and get a H'series board with only the features you absolutely need. If you plan on sticking with a single GPU for a long time, you can even go mATX without losing performance.

For gaming, you'd be hard pressed to get any use out of more than 8gb of memory. This is where it gets murky for me as workstations usually seem to stack memory so it must be important in those situations.

I hope this helps (a little). :)

It definitely helps. I already made a few adjustments based on your suggestions and lowered the price by about 100 euros. I'll keep looking into it until next month when I'll be ordering the parts.

Thanks.

TheMink

Sorry, mate -- I didn't realize this when I made my recommendations but the NZXT case doesn't seem to ship with any intake fans. :

At the very least you should add one 120mm intake fan (~$15) if you go with that case. Typically, most cases have two intake fans; one low to draw air across the hard-drives and one mid to draw air directly towards the cpu cooler. You can sometimes get by with exhaust only but it's risky with non-blower gpu coolers that vent into the case.

About the high static pressure fans I mentioned...honestly, I'm just OCD about case/component temps. For a single gpu build, you're probably fine with standard fans.

Is this good for the two fan setup?:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=35-181-040

As you probably realized, i have no idea what I'm doing.

Jesb

I'm not sure where else to ask this since I'm not sure if we have an origin thread or if anyone even looks at it. But I have a question on how cloud saving works on origin. I installed a fresh copy of windows assuming that my cloud saves would work and I can load my games off that, but NFS HP loads a new save, not my old one on the cloud. Is there no way for me to load my cloud save off of ea's servers?

I'd expect 4Gb default, 8Gb as an option.

The 8Gb talk is a really impressive statement if true.

Sapphire cancelled their 8GB 290X recently, it's just too early for that insane amount.

But 2GB is just too little. It felt 'off' when they released the 680. Felt worse when they released the 770. And now we get confirmation those bad feels meant something.

This is the same course the 480/570/580 took. I'm getting deja vu (and the "2GB is enough for 1080p" people getting salty)

This might be apostasy to ask in here but ... Alienware X51 computers, yay or nay? I want a mid-line machine that is easy to just plug into my TV and play games on the couch. I've thought about building my own again... but I just don't know if I want to.

Pros, cons on these things? Price looks reasonable ($1200 for an i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 Ti with 2GB GDDR5), and I appreciate taking it out of the box and being able to just plug it in and expect it to work. Also, it looks like it'd fit in my media center just fine.

Thoughts? Or should I definitely just build my own?

Dave_6

You'll also be best served rebooting after installing the new drivers.

Ok. I'm still somewhat of a noob at this stuff; I went into programs to uninstall the AMD drivers but there is no option to 'uninstall' when I click it. Or am I just supposed to delete the AMD folder and not fully uninstall?

kennah

Yes I understand it's a non K. The reason I posted it was to show the base/boost clocks listed which will be the same on the K series

We won't know for sure until it releases.

This K series is different from other ones. Supposedly it is a different manufacturing process (Solder) and Binned processors.

But, all we can do is wait and see.

This might be apostasy to ask in here but ... Alienware X51 computers, yay or nay? I want a mid-line machine that is easy to just plug into my TV and play games on the couch. I've thought about building my own again... but I just don't know if I want to.

Pros, cons on these things? Price looks reasonable ($1200 for an i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 Ti with 2GB GDDR5), and I appreciate taking it out of the box and being able to just plug it in and expect it to work. Also, it looks like it'd fit in my media center just fine.

They're good for what they are, but there are SO MANY AWESOME ITX options right now that you can pretty easily build something better for less money.

diaspora

Ok. I'm still somewhat of a noob at this stuff; I went into programs to uninstall the AMD drivers but there is no option to 'uninstall' when I click it. Or am I just supposed to delete the AMD folder and not fully uninstall?

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Click Uninstall a Program
  3. Choose AMD Catalyst Install Manager
  4. Choose Uninstall Manager

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is this good for the two fan setup?:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=35-181-040

As you probably realized, i have no idea what I'm doing.
You looking at stuff and learning is great, but let's hold off on asking for recommendations now since they will change completely in 5 months when you said you would build.

As for fans, complete excess. The quiet editions cooled the same as Rosewill and worse than my CM Sflow fan.

They look nice though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

There are so many great ITX options you should build yourself now.

Stubo

Sapphire cancelled their 8GB 290X recently, it's just too early for that insane amount.

But 2GB is just too little. It felt 'off' when they released the 680. Felt worse when they released the 770. And now we get confirmation those bad feels meant something.

This is the same course the 480/570/580 took. I'm getting deja vu (and the "2GB is enough for 1080p" people getting salty)
Not cancelled in the UK ;)

It's putting me in a thoughtful spot for my friend's build. He's been looking at the 2Gb 770 since the price difference to the 4Gb is £55! Maybe the 280X would be a better choice.

dmr87

Time for a new build.

hhK.png

I've had it up and running for some time now and my GPU arrived today, so with that I'm done with this one.

Excuse the shitty phone pictures.

bjM.png

cjM.png

djM.png

ejM.png

I see that I missed a full shot of the radiator so here's a picture from when I was building.

fjM.png

Case: Corsair 750D
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Memory: Corsair 16GB 2133MHz Vengeance Pro
CPU: i5 4670k @ 4.5GHz
GPU: MSI GTX780ti @ 1179MHz / 7484MHz
PSU: Corsair AX750
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB / 6.5TB Western Digital

i7 4770k with corsair H60.

Keep it below 85 and you're fine, Haswell gets hot.

Stubo

That's a very nice build, those PSU cables in particular really help it to pop.

Also: 780ti @ 1186MHz / 7722MHz

Hhhhhnnngggggg!

Staab

Nice build dmr !

So, I'm in the market for a new GPU within the next month, care to suggest me something around the 200$ price point that will fit nicely with my build ?
Been thinking about a R9 270x ?

Target resolution : 720p (Monitor size related, don't plan on changing that soon)

Current build :
GPU: Radeon 5770 1GB
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955 BE @ 3.6Ghz
MB: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB DDR3)
PSU: Corsair 750W Gold something +

Note: I plan on upgrading the CPU at the end of this year (prolly new intel)

kharma45

Nice build dmr !

So, I'm in the market for a new GPU within the next month, care to suggest me something around the 200$ price point that will fit nicely with my build ?
Been thinking about a R9 270x ?

Target resolution : 720p (Monitor size related, don't plan on changing that soon)

Current build :
GPU: Radeon 5770 1GB
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955 BE @ 3.6Ghz
MB: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB DDR3)
PSU: Corsair 750W Gold something +

Note: I plan on upgrading the CPU at the end of this year (prolly new intel)

You can get an R9 280 for $200 after rebate atm. Check on PC Partpicker for it. I would link but it sucks on mobile.

TheMink

You looking at stuff and learning is great, but let's hold off on asking for recommendations now since they will change completely in 5 months when you said you would build.

As for fans, complete excess. The quiet editions cooled the same as Rosewill and worse than my CM Sflow fan.

They look nice though.

Yeah your right, see you guys in 4 moons :p

xBladeM6x

I've had it up and running for some time now and my GPU arrived today, so with that I'm done with this one.

Excuse the shitty phone pictures.

I see that I missed a full shot of the radiator so here's a picture from when I was building.

Case: Corsair 750D
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Memory: Corsair 16GB 2133MHz Vengeance Pro
CPU: i5 4670k @ 4.5GHz
GPU: MSI GTX780ti @ 1186MHz / 7722MHz
PSU: Corsair AX750
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB / 6.5TB Western Digital

Keep it below 85 and you're fine, Haswell gets hot.
How's that Corsair 750D? I was looking into upgrading to it. Also, why did you choose the 840 Pro SSD over the 840 EVO? (Not implying anything, I'm just wondering which is a better choice for gaming)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
How's that Corsair 750D? I was looking into upgrading to it. Also, why did you choose the 840 Pro SSD over the 840 EVO? (Not implying anything, I'm just wondering which is a better choice for gaming)
750D is good.
Pro is hardier and better writes/IOPS at that size IIRC? It's so close and it doesn't matter at all for gaming. EVO is much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom