• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodine1231

Should I upgrade from a GTX 680 to an Asus R9 290 4GB? (Amazon link) I'm playing in 1440p and my 680 is struggling with that resolution (2gb) with newer games. It looks like I'll be out of pocket $150 after selling my 680 so its not a huge investment. Are the new cards coming out in the next month or two?

dmr87

Should I upgrade from a GTX 680 to an Asus R9 290 4GB? (Amazon link) I'm playing in 1440p and my 680 is struggling with that resolution (2gb) with newer games. It looks like I'll be out of pocket $150 after selling my 680 so its not a huge investment. Are the new cards coming out in the next month or two?

There are summer rumors for both AMD and Nvidia, no idea if they are legit. I broke down and bought now.

http://videocardz.com/50472/amd-launch-new-flagship-radeon-graphics-card-summer
http://videocardz.com/50301/nvidia-preparing-maxwell-gm204-kepler-gk210-gpus

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Won't new release AMD cards just get raided by miners and cost too much for a while?

maneil99

At this point I don't think we will see new GPUs until September/August. Just go for it. Or alternatively you could get a 780 and get 3 months of step up from EVGA

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
That's what I thought. I have no real interest in overclocking or anything like that, so the K doesn't sound like it's going to offer too much of an advantage. A lot of this comes down to stock availability. I can go down and get the 4770 right now, but the 4670K and 4770K are order-in stock. I'm impatient. :p

My current CPU is i5 750 @ 2.60GHz, for the record.
Bullet points in the OP are for your old build and state your budget and what you want, etc.

Even if you have no interest in overclocking it means you'll be getting a 33%+ performance boost on an 8 thread CPU which at the rate of shitty improvement will probably last you at least 4 years.

Bullet points in the OP are for your old build and state your budget and what you want, etc.

Even if you have no interest in overclocking it means you'll be getting a 33%+ performance boost on an 8 thread CPU which at the rate of shitty improvement will probably last you at least 4 years.

Ah. Thanks. I couldn't see anything in the OP but I'm possibly blind. Anyway, ended up getting a 4790 because they had them on special for this weekend only. Hopefully, that'll last me for a few good years. :)

Nebula

So my new PC went into sleep mode last night (fell asleep watching some youtube) and it wouldn't wake up. I reset it and now it's not displaying anything on my TV. I have work soon so i can't figure it out just yet but thought I'd post to see if it going sleep mode may have caused an issue. OS is Windows 7 on an SSD if that matters.

TheD

The Detective
Anyone else having problems with EVGA Precision?
It seems incapable of applying the memory overclock I am telling it to and it has locked the core on my GTX 680 to 706 Mhz no matter what is being played.

riflen

Anyone else having problems with EVGA Precision?
It seems incapable of applying the memory overclock I am telling it to and it has locked the core on my GTX 680 to 706 Mhz no matter what is being played.

Well, you could try another utility to reset the GPU clock (inspector, afterburner), or does this only happen when you load Precision?

TheD

The Detective
Closed Precision (and opened inspector) and everything is back to normal, open Precision again and it is working correctly now.
So it was Precision's fault.

That means I have to stop using it, but no other program that I am aware of has as good hardware monitor.

mkenyon

Banned
To folks who might be interested, going to be streaming a LAN at my house off and on over the next few days.

twitch.tv/kudochop

Serandur

We started with drinking tonight. After careful consideration, we decided avoiding a ban was for the best. We'll start tomorrow :p

That means so very little.

That hardly means anything. Hell most of the time its equivalent to 400% usage total. Lots of games dabble into extra cores, doesn't mean squat. Notice how most of the time 1 real core will be at 70~ and the HT will be at 30~

That VRAM usage is scary though, and ultra textures drive it over the top even on a 780 (confirmed reports of stuttering). It's not necessary, of course, to use the ultra textures (video taker isn't and still looks great) but at the high-end, it's starting to get a bit tight. The worst part is that 780 isn't really struggling at all to process it all, just to find space to store it. Guess downsampling Watch Dogs is a bit out of the question, even with SLI 780 Tis?

Well, nice to see a 4k G-sync model so early.

Terrible to see that it's TN.

Blech.

mkenyon

Banned
That VRAM usage is scary though, and ultra textures drive it over the top even on a 780 (confirmed reports of stuttering). It's not necessary, of course, to use the ultra textures (video taker isn't and still looks great) but at the high-end, it's starting to get a bit tight. The worst part is that 780 isn't really struggling at all to process it all, just to find space to store it. Guess downsampling Watch Dogs is a bit out of the question, even with SLI 780 Tis?
Most engines nowadays will stream different textures in depending on the VRAM available. Don't look at system usage to determine anything.

Serandur

Most engines nowadays will stream different textures in depending on the VRAM available. Don't look at system usage to determine anything.

I know that, I'm referring more to the stuttering/freezing people are reporting when pushing the texture quality up.

Like this

Some are saying disabling vsync solves the issue, though, which sounds more plausible, but how would textures cause issues with vsync to become apparent?

Edit: Better Video

LilJoka

pTqZ9ZG.jpg

Asrock Extreme4-M X79
i7 4960x
16gb Samsung Green
Ati 4850 temporary
Silverstone 450w temporary
Intel 250Gb SSD
Internal card reader
Silver Arrow SBE Extreme

eso76

Ok, guys, while i don't use my PC for gaming this looked like the right place to ask, and besides i only trust Gaf.

I'm looking to upgrade my Ram, and i would like to do that without throwing my 6GB's out of the window.
Possible ? Recommended ? or should i just buy new sticks ?
and who said ram is cheap these days ? it fucking isn't !

Anyway, this is what i got atm

Intel Core i7 940 @ 2.93GHz
6,00GB Triple Channel DDR3 @ 534 MHz (8-8-8-20)
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6T WS PRO (LGA1366)

Ram detail:

Memory slots
Total memory slots 6
Used memory slots 3
Free memory slots 3
Memory
Type DDR3
Size 6144 MBytes
Channels # Triple
DRAM Frequency 534,5 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 8 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 8 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 8 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 20 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 1T

And this is what each stick looks like:

Type DDR3
Size 2048 MBytes
Manufacturer Corsair
Max Bandwidth PC3-10700H (667 MHz)
Part Number CM3X2G1600C8D
SPD Ext. XMP

I've been out of the loop for years and went back to being a total newb.

Does this look decent ? anything wrong with the way my ram is set up ?
do you think i can buy an extra 6 GB that would go along well with the 6 i already have or are there chances this might screw things up ?

Crucial upgrade tool suggests i buy a 4GB stick... 4+2+2+2 doesn't sound good to me, but what do i know !?

theytookourjobz

Ok. Two days of fiddling with settings and I cannot get windows 8 to connect to the internet wirelessly. It worked for like 5 mins and now nothing. I'm connected to my network but I can't get on the internet at all. Hellpppppp.

molnizzle

I never posted any completed pics from my ITX build last month.

Great machine overall. I've since added another 4GB of DDR3 and will be swapping up to an i5-4570 next week now that they've been marked down to $139.99 at Micro Center.

PCPartPicker part list:
CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($54.11)
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.99)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($49.99)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($149.99)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($74.99)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $479.05
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Shadowplay videos:
The Witcher 2 - http://youtu.be/lzJmItRJVjM
Saint's Row: The Third - http://youtu.be/BhMACZh13UI
Street Fighter IV - http://youtu.be/u5ZBqk1bQfY

Build pics:
GobIh6S.jpg

cD60iC7.jpg

0PrybIx.jpg

l0CX6C9.jpg

5wfIxIx.jpg

ePO1tRy.jpg

ZAeuMnw.jpg

30fps master race. ^_^

kiyomi

I never posted any completed pics from my ITX build last month.

Great machine overall. I've since added another 4GB of DDR3 and will be swapping up to an i5-4570 next week now that they've been marked down to $139.99 at Micro Center.

How are you liking that 750 Ti? The Zotac is the cheapest on the market here (UK) and I'm considering picking it up to tide me over until the 870/880s hit. How's TW2 run on it? Oh, and nice build! :D

Diablos said:
How will a game like Watch Dogs run on my 6300 and GTX 660 (non-Ti)? :D
CPU is at a mild 3.8GHz oc.

We don't know yet.

Ok. Two days of fiddling with settings and I cannot get windows 8 to connect to the internet wirelessly. It worked for like 5 mins and now nothing. I'm connected to my network but I can't get on the internet at all. Hellpppppp.
Is your router getting a signal from your DSL/cable/whatever?

Also, try Windows 8's connection troubleshooting. Sometimes that's all you need to fix the problem.

theytookourjobz

Is your router getting a signal from your DSL/cable/whatever?

Also, try Windows 8's connection troubleshooting. Sometimes that's all you need to fix the problem.

My laptop, phone, and PS4 are all connected but my PC just won't connect to the internet. I've tried all the built in W8 troubleshooting and a bunch of command prompt stuff too but it's been fruitless. Moving into a new place next weekend and I guess I'm just gonna have to find a way to set up a wired connection.

riflen

My laptop, phone, and PS4 are all connected but my PC just won't connect to the internet. I've tried all the built in W8 troubleshooting and a bunch of command prompt stuff too but it's been fruitless. Moving into a new place next weekend and I guess I'm just gonna have to find a way to set up a wired connection.

Are you sure the problem is IP connectivity? I might be able to help if you answer some questions.
Can you ping any publicly accessible hosts? (8.8.8.8 should be up)
What's your router's IP address?
Can you please post the result of ipconfig /all

TTUVAPOR

Banned
AMD is solid if you're sticking to your budget. I'm going to assume it's around $150 --- There is a R9 270 for $160 after rebate at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202090 ... Which is pretty much the 7870 from what I recall.

Just installed this: http://www.microcenter.com/product/425815/AMD_Radeon_R9_270_2048MB_PCIe_30_x16_Dual_Video_Card

Went ahead and returned my 7750 and just paid the difference, it's worth it in the end.

Fired up Diablo 3, and BAM! 60fps!

;)

Sykotik

Did you install the WLAN drivers from your mobo's website?

Edit: or the drivers from the card/adaptor/device website.

georgc

[Basic Desktop Questions]

•Your Current Specs: Asus G73JH With 920x i7, 6 gigs ram, AMD 5870
•Budget: $1000-1100 United States
•Main Use: 5 Heavy gaming and emulation
•Monitor Resolution: 1080p
•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Star Citizen, Planetside 2, Dolphin emulation.
•Looking to reuse any parts?: Just my HDD
•When will you build: Now no deadline
•Will you be overclocking?: Yes More bang for my buck. What type of cooling should I get?

I play Planetside 2 a lot and that is a heavy CPU draw game. I haven't built a PC in 10 years so im behind on all the tech. Please help GAF you are my only hope.

Nebula

So my PC lasted a day before the Motherboard went kaput. Not building one myself ever again. I'd rather fork out some cash and make sure it works instead of sitting on my arse staring at a £800 paperweight.

mkenyon

Banned
[Basic Desktop Questions]

•Your Current Specs: Asus G73JH With 920x i7, 6 gigs ram, AMD 5870
•Budget: $1000-1100 United States
•Main Use: 5 Heavy gaming and emulation
•Monitor Resolution: 1080p
•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Star Citizen, Planetside 2, Dolphin emulation.
•Looking to reuse any parts?: Just my HDD
•When will you build: Now no deadline
•Will you be overclocking?: Yes More bang for my buck. What type of cooling should I get?

I play Planetside 2 a lot and that is a heavy CPU draw game. I haven't built a PC in 10 years so im behind on all the tech. Please help GAF you are my only hope.
Go pretty much part for part on the "Excellent" build in the OP. Kudochop uses something somewhat similar, www.twitch.tv/kudochop

I'd suggest adding the 280x over the 760, unless Shadowplay is something you want to consider.

Lots of videos to see what kind of performance he gets in PS2, plus his config will help you out.
So my PC lasted a day before the Motherboard went kaput. Not building one myself ever again. I'd rather fork out some cash and make sure it works instead of sitting on my arse staring at a £800 paperweight.
Bad roll of the dice. Buying a prebuilt doesn't save you from random chance. There's been a number of people in the Alienware that have had to send it back.

It's not a paperweight either. RMA the motherboard.

kharma45

Who did you buy from? They should just replace it with a new one if it has died this fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom