• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBladeM6x

Also, what kind of maintenance is needed for something like the Corsair H105 water cooler? Do you have to replace anything / clean anything over time? (Completely ignorant of water cooling)

kennah

Also, what kind of maintenance is needed for something like the Corsair H105 water cooler? Do you have to replace anything / clean anything over time? (Completely ignorant of water cooling)

All in one/Closed Loop coolers don't need any maintenance. It's custom loop ones that do.

xBladeM6x

All in one/Closed Loop coolers don't need any maintenance. It's custom loop ones that do.

Does that mean you also do not need to add any water to it once you first open it? (It's already inside / ships that way?)

For some reason I feel stupid beyond reason for asking that. Lol

kennah

Does that mean you also do not need to add any water to it once you first open it? (It's already inside / ships that way?)

For some reason I feel stupid beyond reason for asking that. Lol

It ships to you without you needing to add any water or anything. It is a complete CLOSED Loop. Meaning you can't open it without wrecking it.

Google some pictures of it and it will make sense.

EDIT: Hell, on this very page you can see.
cjM.png

See how it is all together? The black tubes from the CPU mount to the Radiator? It's all shipped together like that. You can't change any of it.

thespot84

10/10, you even oriented the rear fan correctly! So many people have that exhaust because that's what they're setup as. Getting that fresh air to the rad as well as all over your motherboard. Awesome job.

so where is the exhaust? or is there none, ie positive pressure?

xBladeM6x

It ships to you without you needing to add any water or anything. It is a complete CLOSED Loop. Meaning you can't open it without wrecking it.

See how it is all together? The black tubes from the CPU mount to the Radiator? It's all shipped together like that. You can't change any of it.
Thanks. I saw it, and that's why I was asking specifics. I'm assuming they also have a super low failure rate where they burst and kill everything in your PC. Lol

kennah

Out the top through the rad.

Stuff runs so cool these days it doesn't even really matter.

Thanks. I saw it, and that's why I was asking specifics. I'm assuming they also have a super low failure rate where they burst and kill everything in your PC. Lol

I wasn't trying to be grumpy :) Failure rate is pretty low. There has even been one gaffer report of a leaky H60. Just be careful not to pull too hard on the tubes and you should be fine.

Skyzard

Banned

cjM.png

Pretty sure those top fans (on the cpu water cooling radiator) are placed the wrong way up ...

I know because I had to set similar fans up a few weeks ago.

Maybe the case doesn't have air holes at the top...

kennah

Pretty sure those top fans (on the cpu water cooling radiator) are placed the wrong way up ...

fjM.png

It's just fine. Exhausting all the air out the top. (Has the fan on the back pointing the wrong way in this pic)

mkenyon

Banned

Nope, it's setup correctly. They're pushing air through the rad, then out the top.
What's gonna exhaust the warm air from the graphics card?
Top fans and positive pressure.

thespot84

I wasn't trying to be grumpy :) Failure rate is pretty low. There has even been one gaffer report of a leaky H60. Just be careful not to pull too hard on the tubes and you should be fine.

I thought rad was supposed to bring cool air in from outside. I like the idea of the rear fan blowing on the vrams though

xBladeM6x

I remember reading that there's a slight space between the plastic and the tubing. Would super gluing the space between possibly help it to never leak? (I don't mind ghetto rigging things so they never fault like that)

kennah

I thought rad was supposed to bring cool air in from outside. I like the idea of the rear fan blowing on the vrams though

Think of it this way. Bringing air IN through the radiator would be dumping all the hot radiator air inside the case.

Since he doesn't have a huge heatsink on the CPU itself, the rear exhaust becomes less important. And since he is bringing cool air in right there, the GPU air won't have a chance to really heat up everything else.

And really ... what is in there to be heated up? The Hard drives are all below the GPU and the CPU heat is all being transferred right to the top of the case.

I remember reading that there's a slight space between the plastic and the tubing. Would super gluing the space between possibly help it to never leak? (I don't mind ghetto rigging things so they never fault like that)

Never do that - you don't know how the glue will react with the plastic. It might make it more brittle or be corrosive enough to cause a leak.

These things are engineered in a particular way for a reason. If you are really that paranoid, then you could possibly use some plumbers tape, but I really wouldn't bother. That GAP is just for the cosmetic ring. There would be a tight connection at the bottom where the barb is inside the tube. The gap means nothing.

thespot84

anyone play dark souls pc on windows 8?

Having major problems and figured I'd try here first to rule out hardware and then move on.

I have a recent build (4770k, gigabyte z87 ud4h, 2x4 gig crucial ballistix, gigabyte 770 OC, 250gb EVO SSD)

I have the game through steam. I've followed every guide I could find that involves uninstalling the old games for windows live and reinstalling a new version, not using dsfix, etc etc etc. I have uninstalled and reinstalled more times than I can count

The trouble is my problem seems unique. Everyone else gets a black screen or an executable failure, but my system hangs instantly every time i start the game. There's no mention of hard lockups on the net. No blue screen, no error, no sound loop, just a hard kernel lock. I've reseated and tested my ram and un-overclocked and re-overclocked the cpu to no avail. procmon won't even update fast enough to let me see what is being accessed when it freezes (it's different every time).

Any ideas? If I can rule out hardware I'll move on to something else.

xBladeM6x

Having major problems and figured I'd try here first to rule out hardware and then move on.

I have a recent build (4770k, gigabyte z87 ud4h, 2x4 gig crucial ballistix, gigabyte 770 OC, 250gb EVO SSD)

I have the game through steam. I've followed every guide I could find that involves uninstalling the old games for windows live and reinstalling a new version, not using dsfix, etc etc etc. I have uninstalled and reinstalled more times than I can count

The trouble is my problem seems unique. Everyone else gets a black screen or an executable failure, but my system hangs instantly every time i start the game. There's no mention of hard lockups on the net. No blue screen, no error, no sound loop, just a hard kernel lock. I've reseated and tested my ram and un-overclocked and re-overclocked the cpu to no avail. procmon won't even update fast enough to let me see what is being accessed when it freezes (it's different every time).

*Shakes fist at Windows 8*

dmr87

10/10, you even oriented the rear fan correctly! So many people have that exhaust because that's what they're setup as. Getting that fresh air to the rad as well as all over your motherboard. Awesome job.

Had it the other way around first but I changed it, gotta have that air.

Had it the other way around first but I changed it, gotta have that air.

You're providing air from the front if you have fans there. Plus if there is space in the bottom you can have fresh air coming from the bottom too. I would exhaust the video card air with the rear exhaust. That card is gonna produce a ton of hot air. Also the rear exhaust will not only exhaust the hot video card air but it will also draw the cool air towards the rear/top of the case for the radiator to use. Right now you're gonna be blowing that hot graphics card air through the radiator.

diaspora

1. Go to the game's exe
  2. right click on exe
  3. click "Properties"
  4. click on the Compatibility tab
  5. check off the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
  6. choose Windows 7 from the dropdown menu
  7. click "Apply"
  8. exit menu
  9. try again

If you're using DSfix, remove it, then do the above, then start the game, then install DSfix.

atomico

Replacing a GTX 680. I can kinda afford a GTX 780 Ti... should I, GAF? Or is there a more suitable option?

CPU: 4770k.
1080p for now, I'll probably upgrade later in the year.
PSU is a CM 800W, iirc

Just OC'ed my i5 750 to 4.0 GHz and right now looking like it is hovering around 75 C at 100% load in prime95, maxing at 77. Is that running too hot?

I've had an i7 930 (same gen) @ 3.9Ghz since 2010 that hits the high 70s while running prime95 and I've had zero issues. Temps don't come close to that while gaming and the chip should be able to handle it. What voltage?

dmr87

You're providing air from the front if you have fans there. Plus if there is space in the bottom you can have fresh air coming from the bottom too. I would exhaust the video card air with the rear exhaust. That card is gonna produce a ton of hot air. Also the rear exhaust will not only exhaust the hot video card air but it will also draw the cool air towards the rear/top of the case for the radiator to use. Right now you're gonna be blowing that hot graphics card air through the radiator.

We'll see, I'll leave it for the time being. I don't think I'm gonna have any problems either way.

I've had an i7 930 (same gen) @ 3.9Ghz since 2010 that hits the high 70s while running prime95 and I've had zero issues. Temps don't come close to that while gaming and the chip should be able to handle it. What voltage?

Oh awesome, that's good to hear. I'm just trying to irk as much out of this system until Devil's Canyon generation see a price drop (probably this time next year).

Currently running at a CPU Vcore voltage of 1.3625V.
Others are:

QPI/VTT 1.370V
PCH 1.160V
CPU PLL 1.920V
DRAM 1.660V

Just ordered a 280x and 8gb of RAM to replace my old GTX 460 and 4 gb

Beatrix

Hey GAF, a friend of mine is building his first PC, and he ran into some problems. He can't get the computer to boot. Everything was properly installed, ram, gpu, cpu, etc. to the motherboard and psu. So I don't believe it was a wiring issue he had. So the first possible issue I saw was that he didn't use standoffs on his motherboard initially so he installed it directly to the case without using standoffs.

However he said when he first tried it, he got a green light by the GPU and CPU on the motherboard, but nothing was booting still (This was when the standoffs weren't used).

So I suggested to him try putting standoffs in the case and then put in the motherboard. So he did, but then he managed to get a small screw inside the power supply so he took it out a shook it a few times to get it out, then he noticed a white paste all over inside but didn't think it was an issue so he plugged it in again to try it. Now this time there aren't any green lights on the motherboard at all.

Everything was plugged in correctly. We triple checked everything, read manuals to ensure that every component was properly installed. Searched all over for any suggestions but nothing.

So GAF, considering my friend shook the PSU and white paste got all over inside (I know in some cases it isn't bad) and that fact that he installed the motherboard in the case without stand offs (he also told me touched a few parts on the motherboard with his hands/screws/screw driver if that's important) do you guys think the power supply or motherboard is the issue here? Did he break the motherboard by touching it too roughly or by directly screwing it to the case?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey GAF, a friend of mine is building his first PC, and he ran into some problems. He can't get the computer to boot. Everything was properly installed, ram, gpu, cpu, etc. to the motherboard and psu. So I don't believe it was a wiring issue he had. So the first possible issue I saw was that he didn't use standoffs on his motherboard initially so he installed it directly to the case without using standoffs.

However he said when he first tried it, he got a green light by the GPU and CPU on the motherboard, but nothing was booting still (This was when the standoffs weren't used).

So I suggested to him try putting standoffs in the case and then put in the motherboard. So he did, but then he managed to get a small screw inside the power supply so he took it out a shook it a few times to get it out, then he noticed a white paste all over inside but didn't think it was an issue so he plugged it in again to try it. Now this time there aren't any green lights on the motherboard at all.

Everything was plugged in correctly. We triple checked everything, read manuals to ensure that every component was properly installed. Searched all over for any suggestions but nothing.

So GAF, considering my friend shook the PSU and white paste got all over inside (I know in some cases it isn't bad) and that fact that he installed the motherboard in the case without stand offs (he also told me touched a few parts on the motherboard with his hands/screws/screw driver if that's important) do you guys think the power supply or motherboard is the issue here? Did he break the motherboard by touching it too roughly or by directly screwing it to the case?
Paperclip test the PSU
Do the trouble shooting steps in the OP or second post (HELP MY PC WONT BOOT)

Not sure about the white paste in PSU... Anything like that should have set months ago into something hard...

So I'm looking at finally upgrading my Stone Age i5 750. I'm looking at two CPUs on special right now and wondering which of the two I should be going for? Value for money is certainly a concern but I'd rather get the processor that's going to last me for the longest in terms of being relevant.

i5-4670k

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z...-Haswell--Core-i5-4670K-3.4GHz-6MB-LGA1150---

i5-4770k

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z...-Haswell--Core-i7-4770K-3.5GHz-8MB-LGA1150---

For reference, in the rest of the box current is 8GB of DDR3 and a 660. So if the CPU choice is going to require me to get a monster PSU, I'd like to know that as well. :p

Thanks in advance for the help.

ugh

sometimes I want to get rid of this 27" 1440p korean monitor and just get another nice 24"

the difference between this one and the dell ultrasharp next to it is insane

what do, gaf

Beatrix

Paperclip test the PSU
Do the trouble shooting steps in the OP or second post (HELP MY PC WONT BOOT)

Not sure about the white paste in PSU... Anything like that should have set months ago into something hard...

Yes we've tried everything in trouble shooting steps. We're testing the PSU later tonight. If the PSU is indeed broken, and we get a new one but the PC still doesn't boot, would the motherboard be the culprit most likely? How delicate is the motherboard actually? Appreciate any responses, thanks you!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I'm looking at finally upgrading my Stone Age i5 750. I'm looking at two CPUs on special right now and wondering which of the two I should be going for? Value for money is certainly a concern but I'd rather get the processor that's going to last me for the longest in terms of being relevant.

i5-4670k

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z...-Haswell--Core-i5-4670K-3.4GHz-6MB-LGA1150---

i5-4770k

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z...-Haswell--Core-i7-4770K-3.5GHz-8MB-LGA1150---

For reference, in the rest of the box current is 8GB of DDR3 and a 660. So if the CPU choice is going to require me to get a monster PSU, I'd like to know that as well. :p

Post your current specs and fill out the bullet sheet.
Most likely a Z97 board and 4790K is the answer.
PSU is fine.
Yes we've tried everything in trouble shooting steps. We're testing the PSU later tonight. If the PSU is indeed broken, and we get a new one but the PC still doesn't boot, would the motherboard be the culprit most likely? How delicate is the motherboard actually? Appreciate any responses, thanks you!
Probably Mobo, possibly CPU.
What problem do you get with bare minimum assembled outside of the case?

xBladeM6x

i5-4670k

i5-4770k

Might as well go with the 4770k. Also, get it way cheaper from Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116901

Beatrix

Probably Mobo, possibly CPU.
What problem do you get with bare minimum assembled outside of the case?

Same thing. Nothing turns on, no lights or any indication of it working. Before my friend shook the PSU we had at least the motherboard green lights come on, but after he shook it and re-installed the mobo in the case with standoffs this time nothing works. My assumption is he either broke the PSU or fried the mobo, but I'm no expert.

xBladeM6x

oconnomiyaki can't upgrade from an i5 750 to that chip so they need a new mobo at the very least. Hence filling out the bullet points.

And an i5 750 running at 3.6Ghz+ is not really a slouch either.

Ah, sorry. I wasn't exactly looking at specifics, I was just stating which one to get, if you're going to choose. :p

oconnomiyaki can't upgrade from an i5 750 to that chip so they need a new mobo at the very least. Hence filling out the bullet points.

And an i5 750 running at 3.6Ghz+ is not really a slouch either.

Sorry, I'm a bit lost. Do you mean bullet points for my new build or my current one?

I know I'll need to get another motherboard. I figured that was a given. All I'll look at transferring over is the RAM, HDD, and video card. I might even replace the case at this point as I found a nice orange one.

I have an old 480 I'm going to stick in with the old CPU/MOBO and eventually some cheap RAM and use it as a TV box.

Ah, sorry. I wasn't exactly looking at specifics, I was just stating which one to get, if you're going to choose. :p

What about a general 4770? It's a little cheaper than the K and I can't see too much difference that would affect me?

xBladeM6x

Sorry, I'm a bit lost. Do you mean bullet points for my new build or my current one?

I know I'll need to get another motherboard. I figured that was a given. All I'll look at transferring over is the RAM, HDD, and video card. I might even replace the case at this point as I found a nice orange one.

I have an old 480 I'm going to stick in with the old CPU/MOBO and eventually some cheap RAM and use it as a TV box.

What about a general 4770? It's a little cheaper than the K and I can't see too much difference that would affect me?
If you're going to blow the money on a top of the line CPU, you might as well go with the K. Also, right from a comparison website;
Intel Core i7 4770k and Core i7 4770 are almost identical. The only difference is that Core i7 4770k has an unlocked multiplier to achieve higher clock speed during overclocking while the Core i7 4770 is a simple processor with locked multiplier and only supports Turbo Clocking that is also up to a certain limit.

If you're going to blow the money on a top of the line CPU, you might as well go with the K. Also, right from a comparison website;

That's what I thought. I have no real interest in overclocking or anything like that, so the K doesn't sound like it's going to offer too much of an advantage. A lot of this comes down to stock availability. I can go down and get the 4770 right now, but the 4670K and 4770K are order-in stock. I'm impatient. :p

My current CPU is i5 750 @ 2.60GHz, for the record.

jimmypop

Banned
Awesome build! Excellent choice on the case and motherboard, that's some great taste you've got! I think the 750D hits a sweet spot in terms of aesthetics, ease of building and functionality. Here's mine:

uldLOqal.png

I wish that I'd invested in a couple of fans for a push/pull setup. Ten years ago I never would have traded a custom loop for a sealed system, but these Corsair units are excellent. I'll go for a custom loop again when I'm digging for that last 5%, but I think my benching days are over.

Your cable management is superb. Great build all around.

I've had it up and running for some time now and my GPU arrived today, so with that I'm done with this one.

Excuse the shitty phone pictures.

I see that I missed a full shot of the radiator so here's a picture from when I was building.

fjM.png

Case: Corsair 750D
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Memory: Corsair 16GB 2133MHz Vengeance Pro
CPU: i5 4670k @ 4.5GHz
GPU: MSI GTX780ti @ 1179MHz / 7484MHz
PSU: Corsair AX750
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB / 6.5TB Western Digital

Keep it below 85 and you're fine, Haswell gets hot.

jimmypop

Banned

That rear fan has been a source of debate for years with top-mounted rads (check out XS or pro/cooling forum archives). I think the numbers show that, with enough CFM coming in from the front, there's enough to feed the radiator and to allow for a nice flow out the back.

Also, with some setups, I'd question the value of pulling in from that rear exhaust. For instance, my 780 Tis are exhausting quite a bit of warm air directly out the back. With ~8" to the wall from the back of the case, I'd be drawing that warm air back into the case with my rear fan flipped to an intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom