• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGWORM

[Basic Desktop Questions]

•Your Current Specs: Asus G73JH With 920x i7, 6 gigs ram, AMD 5870
•Budget: $1000-1100 United States
•Main Use: 5 Heavy gaming and emulation
•Monitor Resolution: 1080p
•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Star Citizen, Planetside 2, Dolphin emulation.
•Looking to reuse any parts?: Just my HDD
•When will you build: Now no deadline
•Will you be overclocking?: Yes More bang for my buck. What type of cooling should I get?

I play Planetside 2 a lot and that is a heavy CPU draw game. I haven't built a PC in 10 years so im behind on all the tech. Please help GAF you are my only hope.

Absolutely, get an Intel processor. Dolphin is geared towards running on Intel processors well. Also, purchase an SSD. You'll never, EVER run your OS on a HDD once you do. Price/Performance ratio, the i5 4670k is a good choice; more so when you overclock. You'll need to purchase a Z87 motherboard to make sure you can OC. You'll be able to OC to 4.3/4.4 safely on air, and a lot of people in here get the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO for an air solution.

Nebula

Who did you buy from? They should just replace it with a new one if it has died this fast.

dabs.com was where I ordered it from. Bought two and the other works fine so far. Might just be a faulty part. I'll probably build again but I'm just pissed that I'll have to wait a bit longer to get into PC gaming.

Worst thing is that it gave me a day to taste what it is capable of and now I miss it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Absolutely, get an Intel processor. Dolphin is geared towards running on Intel processors well. Also, purchase an SSD. You'll never, EVER run your OS on a HDD once you do. Price/Performance ratio, the i5 4670k is a good choice; more so when you overclock. You'll need to purchase a Z87 motherboard to make sure you can OC. You'll be able to OC to 4.3/4.4 safely on air, and a lot of people in here get the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO for an air solution.
Should wait for new DC chips and get a Z97 board now.
So my PC lasted a day before the Motherboard went kaput. Not building one myself ever again. I'd rather fork out some cash and make sure it works instead of sitting on my arse staring at a £800 paperweight.
You sure it's the mobo? RMA is your friend.
Finished re-building my pc in it's new case.
Nice, how did you like the Shinobi?

Nebula

Should wait for new DC chips and get a Z97 board now.

You sure it's the mobo? RMA is your friend.

Top case fan and Graphics Card weren't getting power and I've had a more expert pair of eyes go over it. I'm going to run my other parts in the twin machine to make sure it didn't damage anything else. Hoping it all goes well and I'm not dealing with a lot of returns.

kharma45

dabs.com was where I ordered it from. Bought two and the other works fine so far. Might just be a faulty part. I'll probably build again but I'm just pissed that I'll have to wait a bit longer to get into PC gaming.

Worst thing is that it gave me a day to taste what it is capable of and now I miss it.

dabs were fairly good when my brothers mobo went awol. Shouldn't take too long to sort I hope!

Ugh, just installed my new 280x and installed everything without a hitch. Started up Rome II and immediately I could hear the fan whir up and it sounded like a constant, loud cricket chirp. The whirring of the fan is hella audible. Is there a way to fix this or should I replace it?

It doesn''t sound like normal fan noise that I am used to, but is high pitched whining.

Typo, 280x*

sunnz

current specs:

gpu: 670
cpu : i52500k
motherboard: asusp8p67 pro

Best place to buy parts in the UK?

I am probably gonna get a 780 Ti and it should last me some time but wonder if I should wait for the 800 series.

Judging by the posts here the i5 4670k is probably my best bet but could future games requiring more cores affect this?

And what motherboard is currently the best/best bang for your buck or is my current one still ok.

Also some tech help please:

I have this problem where when I start my PC I have to press F1 to go into the BIOS settings and then restart, something about overclock failure. I also have to unplug my computer and wait for the green light on my motherboard to go off before I can turn it back on. I have reset/restored my motherboard, changed the battery and even pressed the little button on it for a hard restore, didn't work. Is this a motherboard or PSU issue?

kiyomi

Check the OP. Just avoid Aria, I don't like the way they list all their items cheaper than the competition just so they turn up first on PC Part Picker. They also charge rather a lot for delivery, as do OCUK.

Dabs aren't listed but are reputable.

mkenyon

Banned
current specs:

I am probably gonna get a 780 Ti and it should last me some time but wonder if I should wait for the 800 series.

Judging by the posts here the i5 4670k is probably my best bet but could future games requiring more cores affect this?

And what motherboard is currently the best/best bang for your buck or is my current one still ok.

I have this problem where when I start my PC I have to press F1 to go into the BIOS settings and then restart, something about overclock failure. I also have to unplug my computer and wait for the green light on my motherboard to go off before I can turn it back on. I have reset/restored my motherboard, changed the battery and even pressed the little button on it for a hard restore, didn't work. Is this a motherboard or PSU issue?
Probably not enough volts. Is it at stock settings?

sunnz

Probably not enough volts. Is it at stock settings?

Yes, i reset everything the best I could.

It isn't anything major, just takes an extra 20 seconds to boot my PC up, so gets very annoying and think a new Motherboard and cpu could solve it.

kharma45

current specs:

Amazon, Dabs, CCL, Scan and Novatech are where I'd look.

4670K isn't that much of an upgrade. If you can get your offerclock issues sorted then there isn't much reason to upgrade unless you are massively into emulating PS2 and Wii games.

Ugh, just installed my new 289x and installed everything without a hitch. Started up Rome II and immediately I could hear the fan whir up and it sounded like a constant, loud cricket chirp. The whirring of the fan is hella audible. Is there a way to fix this or should I replace it?

It doesn''t sound like normal fan noise that I am used to, but is high pitched whining.

Could be coil whine, but last you might want to tweak your fan settings and see if you can keep it a bit lower than the auto controls have it at. Really there's not much you can do though.

Could be coil whine, but last you might want to tweak your fan settings and see if you can keep it a bit lower than the auto controls have it at. Really there's not much you can do though.

Typo, meant to say 280x.

But yea, I figured it was coil whine. I mostly play with headphones anyways so its not too much of an issue.

Smokey

pTqZ9ZG.jpg

Asrock Extreme4-M X79
i7 4960x
16gb Samsung Green
Ati 4850 temporary
Silverstone 450w temporary
Intel 250Gb SSD
Internal card reader
Silver Arrow SBE Extreme

That heatsink looks like some kind of final boss in a game

Can someone clear something for me please. Seeing that resolution since the HD era has always been measured by vertical pixels (480p, 780p, 1080p), I thought that 4k = 4000 vertical pixels. Now I found that not even Geforce Titan is capable of 4000 vertical pixel resolution (Ultra HD2). Why are companies referring to 2500p (or around that figure) as 4k? I mean other than an obvious marketing thing... isn't that inaccurate/misleading/deceiving (I mean I nearly fell for it) or I'm missing something here.

Thanks!

VLEXP

So my I'm waiting on my build till the new CPU's come out nad the z97 motherboards.
and I'm deciding whether to get a 780 classified or this 290x which are both the same price. which one would be the better choice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

which last week was on sale for about 480 and now it is packaged with 8gb free ram. saving me about 80 dollars.

also does anyone know if this cases is any good?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
I really want something with LED's and a windowed side.

Sykotik

Can someone clear something for me please. Seeing that resolution since the HD era has always been measured by vertical pixels (480p, 780p, 1080p), I thought that 4k = 4000 vertical pixels. Now I found that not even Geforce Titan is capable of 4000 vertical pixel resolution (Ultra HD2). Why are companies referring to 2500p (or around that figure) as 4k? I mean other than an obvious marketing thing... isn't that inaccurate/misleading/deceiving (I mean I nearly fell for it) or I'm missing something here.

Thanks!

It pretty much is just is a marketing term. The justification of it is it's four 1920x1080 sections arranged in a square.

Matty8787

Right so currently I have:

ASUS Mobo - asus p8z68 v pro
8gb Dual Channel Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600MHz
GTX 770 4gb
750w akasa venompower Modular PSU
128gb SSD purely for windows and basic apps such as AV.
2tb HDD.
Case: Coolermaster HAF 912+

What should I upgrade on next? I was looking at going for a bigger SSD and a new CPU?

I want to switch from AMD to Intel CPUs. Is now a good time to switch over or are there new Intel CPUs coming out soon?

Also, I was looking at the i7-4770K, what is a good mobo that is less than $100 for that CPU?

Oxn

I want to switch from AMD to Intel CPUs. Is now a good time to switch over or are there new Intel CPUs coming out soon?

Also, I was looking at the i7-4770K, what is a good mobo that is less than $100 for that CPU?

Get the i7-4790K that should either be out or out realllllly soon.

Make sure you get a Z99 board with it.

kiyomi

Wait for Devil's Canyon which should be coming in June, although there have been some rumours claiming it will be pushed back to September. Devil's Canyon is essentially a refresh of the 4770K and 4670K, with a probable ~100mhz boost on stock/turbo clocks, and some changes to the TIM Intel uses that will hopefully reduce the thermal headroom limit Haswell runs into.

Devil's Canyon will also support the newer Z97 chipset, and is on the 1150 socket, which might be also compatible with Broadwell.

Relax.MX

My computer is sick right now.and I am currently with economic problems so buy another PC is impossible. I need my PC to search for work and for all.

The thing is that the computer restarts after 5 - 10 min of be on. The temperature is within normal standards, another thing is that I restore the computer to a state before all this happened so I do not think it's virus. What I think is may be the hard drive. But I dont have another to test it.

Help?

VoxteX

Help me please with my computer, I am currently with economic problems so  buy another PC is impossible. I need my PC to search for work and for all.

The thing is that the computer is restarted after 5 to 10 min of be on. The temperature is within normal standards, another thing is that I restore the computer to a state before all this happened so I do not think it's virus. What I think is that it may be hard drive. But I dont have another to test it.

Test to make sure it isn't your RAM: http://www.memtest.org/

So, Hazaro, and my knowledgeable PC-GAF bros... I'm one step closer to greenlighting my ML07 Mini-ITX Haswell build.

Got a friend who is willing to help me fund my build I I sell him my old build, I told him I'd ask some pros how much my rig is worth:

Coolermaster CM Stacker 830
ASUS Crosshair AM2+ Mobo w/Custom bios 1304 (for Phenom2 Support)
AMD Phenom 2 x4 940 w/Zalman 9500 HSF
2x4GB Corsair DDR2-800 8-8-8-24
ASUS 560 GTX (non-Ti) DCU2
Kingwin Modular 600W PSU
1TB 2.5" Seagate HDD
x3 Silverstone 140CFMs w/controller.
x2 3.5" DVDRW Drives
Windows 7 x64 OEM Install disc

How much should I give it to him for? Inb4 "shit build, pay him to take it lol"

kharma45

Is the 760ti still a good card in the 250-300 range, or is there better? I'm okay with 1080p/60 FPS. Looking to upgrade my 560ti.

760 Ti doesn't exist to consumers, OEM only.

760 however is great. $230 gets you this MSI 4GB model, best value 760 around atm

ASUS has a 2GB model for the same price but pointless to consider it when this is at the same money.

MSI R9 280 is $200 if you're willing to consider AMD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= It goes toe to toe with the 760, but when it's discounted to that price is the clear choice unless you really want to go Nvidia.

If you want to move beyond them a 280X starts at $285 and the 770 is $310.

kennah

I have a serious problem.

Cases in my house right now.

ITX:
Compact Splash
Black Bitfenix Prodigy
White Fractal Node (just purchased)

ATX:
Lian Li PC-62
Three rackmount server cases.

-Deimos

I have a serious problem.

Cases in my house right now.

ITX:
Compact Splash
Black Bitfenix Prodigy
White Fractal Node (just purchased)

ATX:
Lian Li PC-62
Three rackmount server cases.

My brother could use a new case. I'd be happy to take one off your hands.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So, Hazaro, and my knowledgeable PC-GAF bros... I'm one step closer to greenlighting my ML07 Mini-ITX Haswell build.

Got a friend who is willing to help me fund my build I I sell him my old build, I told him I'd ask some pros how much my rig is worth:

Coolermaster CM Stacker 830
ASUS Crosshair AM2+ Mobo w/Custom bios 1304 (for Phenom2 Support)
AMD Phenom 2 x4 940 w/Zalman 9500 HSF
2x4GB Corsair DDR2-800 8-8-8-24
ASUS 560 GTX (non-Ti) DCU2
Kingwin Modular 600W PSU
1TB 2.5" Seagate HDD
x3 Silverstone 140CFMs w/controller.
x2 3.5" DVDRW Drives
Windows 7 x64 OEM Install disc

How much should I give it to him for? Inb4 "shit build, pay him to take it lol"
Low-fair offer, but $350 + whatever extra markup where you live vs US pricing.
Is it just me or is it if, you dont Overclock your CPU you dont even need a fan on it, just a big heatsink.
Stock is ok for stock clocks.

kennah

Wow thanks for the answer! dang this thing is worth more than I expected.

I live in Florida, so you mean 350 in USD?

Basically it prices out the stuff that is still worth something (Case, GPU, PSU, Hard Drive, RAM, other odds and ends) and throws in the motherboard and CPU for free ;)

sal0713

Neo Member
Me and my friend we both recently got new cpus 4670k. We were wondering what are good coolers for it that can be used to overclock it. Also what is the highest you can overclock a 4670k?

georgc

Should I spring the extra cash to get a i7 or stick with a i5. Now that the consols have multiple cores, will more games take advantage of an i7? Also on intel the k means over overclockable?
What's the best SSD? Should I rock a hybrid to save on money? If I'm going air cooled what the best paste to use?

Smokey

EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 PSU on sale for $170 after instant rebate and MIR. Only $20 more than the 850w G2 :eek:

I just paid $235 for mine at Microcenter :l . Obviously a beefy PSU, but it's also very well reviewed and comes with a 10 year warranty.

wildfire

Banned
Wait for Devil's Canyon which should be coming in June, although there have been some rumours claiming it will be pushed back to September. Devil's Canyon is essentially a refresh of the 4770K and 4670K, with a probable ~100mhz boost on stock/turbo clocks, and some changes to the TIM Intel uses that will hopefully reduce the thermal headroom limit Haswell runs into.

Devil's Canyon will also support the newer Z97 chipset, and is on the 1150 socket, which might be also compatible with Broadwell.

It is forward - compatible with broadwell. It isn't backward compatible with z87 chipset socket. It's like socket 2011 and 2011-3 all over again.

PC GAF, I have an old Phenom II X4 955 (3.2 GHz) that I was going to use in a small build for my sister's boyfriend, and was wondering if anyone would be able to approximate what card would have the best performance without being bottle-necked by the 955. I found a refurb 7870 on Newegg for $150, but I can probably find cheaper if the 7870 would be wasted on this CPU. Thanks.

After seeing the Watch Dogs Vram usage, I think I might do the Evga gtx 780 step-up. Even though WD is probably quite unoptimized, it still really bugs me. $40 for the step-up is well worth getting rid of the annoyance of games possibly using more than 3gb.

Does anyone have experience overclocking these cards? I want to get the 6gb Evga Gtx 780 ACX to at least match or pass the Core specs of my Superclocked ACX card.

mkenyon

Banned
After seeing the Watch Dogs Vram usage, I think I might do the Evga gtx 780 step-up. Even though WD is probably quite unoptimized, it still really bugs me. $40 for the step-up is well worth getting rid of the annoyance of games possibly using more than 3gb.

Does anyone have experience overclocking these cards? I want to get the 6gb Evga Gtx 780 ACX to at least match or pass the Core specs of my Superclocked ACX card.
For cards like that, it's all silicon lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom