• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

After a successful trip to MicroCenter, I'm actually doing PC hardware things again! Hooray!

Got two SickleFlow 120 2000 RPM fans, which I desperately need to replace the noisy, aging Yate Loon fans in my Antec P180. Also picked up some thermal grease so I can finally transfer the Zalman CNPS 9500 from my old Core 2 machine to my i5 2500K.

Go with the i5. You can always add an SSD later.

I'd unquestionably go for the 4670K. What's the budget for it?

I think i should just post the whole configuration that was suggested to me:

Mobo ASUS AMD AM3+ AMD97 86,3€
AMD FX-8320 173,4€
ASUS R9 270 191,8€
SSD Transcend 128GB 66,8€
Kingston 8GB DD3 68,8€
WD 1TB Black AF 88,2€
Gigabyte GZ-G3 Plus 66,5€
ATX 700W Chieftec (BPS - 700W) 74,7€
RW Liteon IHAS 20,4€
Cooler SPIRE SP994S1-V1 21,2€
_______
858,1€

Prices in my country suck and i know i could get more for my money in Germany, the UK or the USA, but importing parts unfortunately isn't an option in this case. Initially i was looking at a budget of approximately 750€ and i already upped it by over 100€, so i would like to avoid spending even more. The I54670K would cost about 250€, in which case i would have to drop the SSD and put that money into the I5. Would you guys recommend that, considering the other parts in this configuration, or do you have any alternative suggestions? What do you think about the other components in the configuration i posted?

I also just remembered, while it's meant to be primarily a gaming PC, my nephew might show some interest in streaming games and i've read that the FX-8320 might be better at handling that, is that so? I've spent a day browsing for comparisons between the two processors and wound up with a lot of threads on various sites and the majority favoured the I5 4670K for gaming, while some general benchmarks show them fairly close (i've used passmark benchmarks, but i got the impression that the site is frowned upon here, so i'm not sure how accurate it is). Is the difference between the two in regard to games big enough to justify spending another 60€? From what i gather, the I5 has fewer cores which on the other hand are faster, and most games today don't seem to use that many cores, so it appears to make more sense for gaming to me as a newbie regarding this stuff. Is it possible that games in the next few years will start using more cores, and would that give the FX-8320 an edge compared to the I5 4670K?

LilJoka

Watch_Dogs is using around 40-60% of each of my i7 3770k 8 threads @ 4.2Ghz. A decently clocked i5 2500k should be ok. GPU is GTX 780, everything maximum, except im using TXAA and capped to 60fps at 720p. Oh and i still get drops while driving to 30fps at times, but mostly pegged at 60fps. System ram is at 2133Mhz, total usage was about 4.5Gb whilst in game.

kennah

Watch_Dogs is using around 40-60% of each of my i7 3770k 8 threads @ 4.2Ghz. A decently clocked i5 2500k should be ok. GPU is GTX 780, everything maximum, except im using TXAA and capped to 60fps at 720p. Oh and i still get drops while driving to 30fps at times, but mostly pegged at 60fps. System ram is at 2133Mhz, total usage was about 4.5Gb whilst in game.
But how many bit coins per second were you generating

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
that's a good start.
Same specs obviously, also same manufacturer ?

also, this is what my ram looks like, 3x

Type DDR3
Size 2048 MBytes
Manufacturer Corsair
Max Bandwidth PC3-10700H (667 MHz)
Part Number CM3X2G1600C8D
SPD Ext. XMP

Anything wrong with those numbers ?
Part number seems to indicate it's the corsair dominator kit, not sure because i bought this PC assembled from a friend
Just buy that part number if you can. Cpu-z will tell you wgmhat it is too. Or open your case and look inside :p
Hey guys wondering if any of you have run into an issue I've been having

Getting a lot of BSOD's lately (win 8.1) and finally today it wouldn't even boot, just BSOD on loop. I removed one of my memory sticks (2x8gb dual-channel g-skill), and slid the other into DIMM 1 and to my surprise it works perfectly fine again.

Any idea why dual-channel memory would cause kernel error BSODs??
Bad Ram or slot. Run memtest86+ overnight

I've finally gotten around to overclocking my 3570K and got it up to 4.0GHz, but I have a question: Is it alright to keep the BIOS CPU power draw setting at auto (allowing it to use whatever amount of power it needs) or should I start setting it manually as I get past 4.0GHz?

kharma45

NoRéN;113402542 said:
At that budget would this card be worth considering, sapphire 7950 for $165 in the buy sell thread.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=113378047

Not bad. Worth looking at I guess when every dollar counts. Brand new you can get one for $200 plus the games for reference.

[/QUOTE]

I've finally gotten around to overclocking my 3570K and got it up to 4.0GHz, but I have a question: Is it alright to keep the BIOS CPU power draw setting at auto (allowing it to use whatever amount of power it needs) or should I start setting it manually as I get past 4.0GHz?

Do your voltages manually.

LordAlu

I think i should just post the whole configuration that was suggested to me:

Mobo ASUS AMD AM3+ AMD97 86,3€
AMD FX-8320 173,4€
ASUS R9 270 191,8€
SSD Transcend 128GB 66,8€
Kingston 8GB DD3 68,8€
WD 1TB Black AF 88,2€
Gigabyte GZ-G3 Plus 66,5€
ATX 700W Chieftec (BPS - 700W) 74,7€
RW Liteon IHAS 20,4€
Cooler SPIRE SP994S1-V1 21,2€
_______
858,1€

Prices in my country suck and i know i could get more for my money in Germany, the UK or the USA, but importing parts unfortunately isn't an option in this case. Initially i was looking at a budget of approximately 750€ and i already upped it by over 100€, so i would like to avoid spending even more. The I54670K would cost about 250€, in which case i would have to drop the SSD and put that money into the I5. Would you guys recommend that, considering the other parts in this configuration, or do you have any alternative suggestions? What do you think about the other components in the configuration i posted?

I also just remembered, while it's meant to be primarily a gaming PC, my nephew might show some interest in streaming games and i've read that the FX-8320 might be better at handling that, is that so? I've spent a day browsing for comparisons between the two processors and wound up with a lot of threads on various sites and the majority favoured the I5 4670K for gaming, while some general benchmarks show them fairly close (i've used passmark benchmarks, but i got the impression that the site is frowned upon here, so i'm not sure how accurate it is). Is the difference between the two in regard to games big enough to justify spending another 60€? From what i gather, the I5 has fewer cores which on the other hand are faster, and most games today don't seem to use that many cores, so it appears to make more sense for gaming to me as a newbie regarding this stuff. Is it possible that games in the next few years will start using more cores, and would that give the FX-8320 an edge compared to the I5 4670K?
Sorry if I missed it, what country are you in?

kharma45

I've buckled.

I'm ordering come pay day on 30th

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3QNfp

Unless you really like the look of that RAM swap to this and save a tenner http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0050119O0/

Do you really need the BR drive? If you're looking for it to play films don't forget you need to buy separate software to do so.

Are you looking to SLI? Just wondering for your PSU. That EVGA unit is OK but if you don't want to SLI then drop to a better quality ~550w Gold unit, or we can find a different 750w if SLI is your goal. The noise from the EVGA would put me off.

Edit - There is a newer revision of that PSU out now, the G2. Reviews much better.

Would one of the builds in the OP be what I'm looking for to stream games and play them in 1080p 60fps? I also hear about a new i7 coming in June? Whats that all about? If someone could assist me by giving me a list of the recommended parts that would be awesome.

Someone here posted a pretty good build but I still had trouble finding parts recommended to swap out.

hitsugi

Okay, I'm trying to put together a PC for my brother in law. He wants to spend around $750 total... and this includes a monitor.

He wants to be able to record gameplay at medium-high quality settings at 1080p without issues and has nothing to start with (besides a keyboard and mouse... MAYBE a case but I don't think so). Located in Southern California. No bias against used or refurb parts if necessary.

I'm a bit lost because $750 without a monitor would be cake.. but $750 with a monitor turns the whole thing upside down for me. I also don't know the first thing about recording gameplay from your PC besides maybe running Fraps.. and that was around 10 years ago for me, so.. help?

Unless you really like the look of that RAM swap to this and save a tenner http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0050119O0/

Do you really need the BR drive? If you're looking for it to play films don't forget you need to buy separate software to do so.

Are you looking to SLI? Just wondering for your PSU. That EVGA unit is OK but if you don't want to SLI then drop to a better quality ~550w Gold unit, or we can find a different 750w if SLI is your goal. The noise from the EVGA would put me off.

Edit - There is a newer revision of that PSU out now, the G2. Reviews much better.

Yeah will be SLI in future

How about Antec EA-650 Platinum

Blu-Ray writer is for a few things. I know it's not necessary but it will be used.

RAM switching ...

I'm a bit lost because $750 without a monitor would be cake.. but $750 with a monitor turns the whole thing upside down for me. I also don't know the first thing about recording gameplay from your PC besides maybe running Fraps.. and that was around 10 years ago for me, so.. help?
Nvidia graphics cards come with a game recording software, so there's that. There's also Open Broadcast Software, which can record files locally and is free, but it requires tons of settings tweaking.

kharma45

Yeah will be SLI in future

How about Antec EA-650 Platinum

Blu-Ray writer is for a few things. I know it's not necessary but it will be used.

RAM switching ...

Fair enough on the BR drive, just making sure you've actually a use for it :p

If you want a high quality PSU then the SuperNova G2 is the one to go for

http://www.dabs.com/products/evga-750w-supernova-gold-psu-9BJM.html?q=supernova g2&src=16

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w...s-gold-135mm-silent-fan-eps-12v-sli-xfire-atx

Have a read of the reviews

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=380

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_750/

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/psu/68993-evga-supernova-750-g2/

Really can't look past it. Really impressive unit and that 10 year warranty to boot!

Serandur

Fuck just reading all the reviews of it now, how the hell did the EVGA Supernova G2 pass me by? Seems an incredible unit!

Oh yeah! Sorry guys, should have recommended it earlier but I got one of those after going through two other units that were irritating me (the HX750 for buzzing/coil whine, Silverstone Strider Silver 750 for fan noise). It is a fantastic PSU; great power regulation, sharp-looking all-black fully modular cables, silent (no whine or fan noise for me) with an optional semi-fanless mode, and a killer price with a 10 year warranty. It's a great PSU, I'm planning on all my future builds using it until I either decide to go crazy with multi-GPU setups or current motherboard standards are rendered completely obsolete.

Smokey

Fuck just reading all the reviews of it now, how the hell did the EVGA Supernova G2 pass me by? Seems an incredible unit!

EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 PSU on sale for $170 after instant rebate and MIR. Only $20 more than the 850w G2 :eek:

I just paid $235 for mine at Microcenter :l . Obviously a beefy PSU, but it's also very well reviewed and comes with a 10 year warranty.

The G2 line is such a turnaround from their previous PSU

NoRéN

Not bad. Worth looking at I guess when every dollar counts. Brand new you can get one for $200 plus the games for reference.
Noah. Didn't know prices finally dropped. In that case I can see why it's not selling. Seems pricey when you get a new one with 3 year warranty and some games.

kharma45

The G2 line is such a turnaround from their previous PSU

Ha sorry :p I had just seen EVGA SuperNova and took no notice of it. Didn't see the G2 bit and realise it was a new model.

Yeah massive turnaround from the previous one which was just an OK unit.

NoRéN;113428177 said:
Noah. Didn't know prices finally dropped. In that case I can see why it's not selling. Seems pricey when you get a new one with 3 year warranty and some games.

That is after rebate and a discount code mind, but still, $200. There's an MSI, Powecolor and XFX all for that price http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=167&sort=a8

Smokey

Ha sorry :p I had just seen EVGA SuperNova and took no notice of it. Didn't see the G2 bit and realise it was a new model.

Yeah massive turnaround from the previous one which was just an OK unit.

Only thing is the PCIe cables are red, while the rest of the cables are black. They do offer color sleeved PSU cables on their site though.

unknownphyzics

Neo Member
Got a huge question? what kind of graphics card can i put in a ASUS Z87-K MOTHERBOARD right now i have a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 2GB on it.
on the motherboard it has a PCIe 3.0 CrossFireX Ready. sorry new on this stuff :/

Lkr

Are new graphics cards coming out this summer? I need to upgrade my 7850 now that I have a job and can afford my first high end GPU. I'm also on an Antec VP450 and assume I'll have to upgrade this as well.

kharma45

Got a huge question? what kind of graphics card can i put in a ASUS Z87-K MOTHERBOARD right now i have a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 2GB on it.
on the motherboard it has a PCIe 3.0 CrossFireX Ready. sorry new on this stuff :/

You can upgrade to whatever you want, depending on PSU.

Are new graphics cards coming out this summer? I need to upgrade my 7850 now that I have a job and can afford my first high end GPU. I'm also on an Antec VP450 and assume I'll have to upgrade this as well.

No exact time frame afaik. You might have to on the PSU side, depends on what your CPU is and what you upgrade to. VP450 can handle most stuff though.

Also, tried OCing your 7850? They're very potent once you get to around 1100MHz.

Hyper 212.

Clock speed depends on the silicon lottery, and whether you've delidded or not. It varies basically.

Lkr

No exact time frame afaik. You might have to on the PSU side, depends on what your CPU is and what you upgrade to. VP450 can handle most stuff though.

Also, tried OCing your 7850? They're very potent once you get to around 1100MHz.
Haven't overclocked anything on this system yet tbh. I might give it a shot in the coming days. I haven't been playing a lot of highly demanding games recently, but Watch Dogs has me worried and I plan to stock up during the steam summer sale. I have it paired with an i5 3570k. I wish I had a friend that was into overclocking and could hold my hand through it

You have to be pretty unlucky if 3.9 is the highest you can get. Slightly above 4 should be easy for most.

Haswell is so inconsistent. You'd be surprised at how much voltage some chips need just to get to 4.2.

Your bios will overcompensate and add way too much voltage. You should spend the time to figure out what the minimum voltage necessary.

sal0713

Neo Member
The CM Hyper 212 is a cheap cheerful air cooler which gives decent OC. 3.9ghz seems doable for most.
I was wondering cause my motherboard which a Sniper from gigabyte has software to overclock and i was messing around with it and the medium setting for overclock was 4.20GHZ but i dont want to mess with it while running the stock fan. Extreme says it overclocks at 4.40GHZ how safe is it to overclock with the software?

I was wondering cause my motherboard which a Sniper from gigabyte has software to overclock and i was messing around with it and the medium setting for overclock was 4.20GHZ but i dont want to mess with it while running the stock fan. Extreme says it overclocks at 4.40GHZ how safe is it to overclock with the software?

With a stock fan don't even think about overclocking. Especially the auto overclock feature.

Your bios will overcompensate and add way too much voltage. You should spend the time to figure out what the minimum voltage necessary.
Yeah, adding .02V to the stock voltage stabilized the voltage to 1.2v +/-.016v, instead of letting it go crazy all the time. I might be able get up to 4.5, but i feel like I need another fan to pull or a better one as the pusher fan to lower temps.

unknownphyzics

Neo Member
You can upgrade to whatever you want, depending on PSU.

Hyper 212.

Clock speed depends on the silicon lottery, and whether you've delidded or not. It varies basically.

Eiji

Are the corsair Hydro series any good? been looking at the H75.

Yes, I just installed the H105 in my Arc Midi R2 last week to improve case aesthetics and it cools my 4670K brilliantly. It replaced a Thermalright SilverArrow SB-E which the H105 beats by about 5c lower temps.

Did a quick search and came up empty...

I'm considering putting together a garbage PC out of spare parts to try out Steam Remote Play. The only thing I don't have any extra of are GFX cards

Does this Nvidia 610 look any good for $35.00 CAD after rebate look any good? It claims to do TrueHD bitstreaming, but I've heard anything below the 640 is problematic at 23.976fps?

I'm thinking it's just "receiving" HD video and audio to push onward, right? So no heavy lifting required?

My beast of a 560ti will be doing the dirty work on the host PC, and then pushing 1080p to the 610.

Is this a good use of $35? Is it overkill? Am I $10 away from doubling the performance?

Money is tight. Ish. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom