• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainy Dog

...Just realised that I didn't reset my bios settings on my Asus P8Z77-M before packing it up ready for ebaying off. It's configured for a 4.5ghz overclock with my 3770k.

Should I do a CMOS reset with the jumper on the board or just leave it and mention in the listing? Or will it reset itself with new hardware anyway?

DarkFlow

Banned
Is there a way to have the memory paging file on my second harddrive and not my SSD? I am still getting low memory errors and I am suspecting that it is because I have it practically disabled due to me not wanting to wear down my SSD. I've never had this issue before in my old computer with a HDD and I do the exact same thing as I did on that.

lol didn't the thread tell you to stop worrying about your SSD wear months ago?

BPoole

what is the best fps counter other than fraps as I keep hearing it pretty well eats frames?

I think Fraps only eats frames if you're recording. But other than fraps, I've used DXtory in the past and it works well. Radeon Pro also has an OSD with functions similar to Fraps

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/37947...ck-the-launch-of-its-next-gen-cpus/index.html

Paper Launch in June, real deal in September. UGHHH

If watchdogs can still run on my current rig at medium I'll hold onto it until at least we get some actual real-world benchmarks of Devil's Canyon.
We'll see. Someone who talks to suppliers mentioned it was still expected Early June.
Is an Asus Sabertooth board worth its price at all?
Not really.
...Just realised that I didn't reset my bios settings on my Asus P8Z77-M before packing it up ready for ebaying off. It's configured for a 4.5ghz overclock with my 3770k.

Should I do a CMOS reset with the jumper on the board or just leave it and mention in the listing? Or will it reset itself with new hardware anyway?
I'd open and reset it.

kharma45

Haven't overclocked anything on this system yet tbh. I might give it a shot in the coming days. I haven't been playing a lot of highly demanding games recently, but Watch Dogs has me worried and I plan to stock up during the steam summer sale. I have it paired with an i5 3570k. I wish I had a friend that was into overclocking and could hold my hand through it

Plenty of guides online for both. Ideally keep temps under 80-85c in both, voltages vary. With the 7850 it was under 1.2v ideally, no more than 1.25v. With the 3570K I can't remember off the top of my head, but there is great guides on Overclockers.net.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
lol didn't the thread tell you to stop worrying about your SSD wear months ago?

ya ive been flogging my SSDs for 3yrs now & never had issue (they are even the dodgy ones everyone hated OCZ) I even defrag em which is supposedly a big nono for them but I just cant help myself lol

LordAlu

Slovenia.
Hmm, the only place I know of that's reputable for Slovenia is AGT, so I've based this on their pricing for you:

CartForDefender_Slovenia_zps6faefa72.png

TOTAL = €849,82

That gets you an i5-4670k (with a cooler which you forgot to include on the AMD build and would have been necessary for overclocking), 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD and 1TB Hard Drive, along with a good case and power supply with the R9 270 graphics card too. Even managed to squeeze in the DVD drive you had on there.

Rafy

My Girlfriend's father came from the States yesterday and brought me the 4670k I had ordered from microcenter. I know everyone's raving about Devil's Canyon but I just could not pass it up at 140€ with that day's conversion rate. Now to buy the rest of the components. I will just be running it on the on-board graphics until I can afford the 280 or 280x I am planning for. This is what I plan to use:

Core i5 4670k (already bought) ~140€
ASRock Z97 Pro4 (eprice.it) ~110€
Antec Neo Eco 520w / XFX Core Series Pro 550w (drako.it) ~65€
HyperX Fury (white) 8GB 1600 (drako.it/amazon.it/alternate.it) 70€
Sapphire R9 280 OR 280X (eprice.it/amazon.it/nexths.it) ~200€/260€
Corsair SPEC-03/Corsair 230T/NZXT Phantom 410/Define R4(alternate.it/drako.it) ~60€/100€
Crucial m500 120gb either sata 3 or m.2 (which do you suggest?) ~60 to 80€

When I am done it would have cost me a total of around 550/650 euro max.

I am undecided about the case though, if I get anything but the define R4 I will add noise dampening foam on my own from the kits they sell online. I am really keen on going with the NZXT phantom 410 because of the radiator mount on top. It's basically out of the case but covered by the plastic top. Later down the line I will probably add an H220(X).

Any thoughts? Can you maybe help me out picking a case? Should I go with an M.2 ssd?

eso76

Just buy that part number if you can. Cpu-z will tell you wgmhat it is too. Or open your case and look inside :p

Apparently, that part number can't be found any-fucking-where anymore..it just vanished.

Actually there's this guy on ebay trying to sell 6GB of the same ram for like 180$ :D

i guess i'm keeping my 6GB until the next substantial upgrade...which i don't think is coming anytime soon, since, compatibility with newer parts aside (read: manufacturers being assholes) mobo, cpu and ram don't really need to be changed or updated.

Rainy Dog

I'd open and reset it.

Cheers, just done. Swapped the jumpers for a few seconds and took the battery out for a couple of minutes for good measure.

Glad I took it out of the box again actually as I'd left it horribly dusty. So gave it a nice spring clean whilst I was at it.

In July 2012 i built this pc:

i5 3570k (never bothered to overclock it)
750w Antec power supply (intended on overclocking the cpu, and SLI 2 video cards... neither have happened)
gtx 560ti
8gb ram
1tb hdd
dvd burner

The only thing i have done since buying it is periodically switch out the dvd burner for a blu-ray burner, then a regular dvd burner again. I have been meaning to get a second hard drive, switch from 8 to 16gb ram and a new video card (been thinking about a GTX 780 for a few months but by the time i make up my mind the 800 series will be out lol).

There is plenty of life left in my rig, with a few tweaks i could extend the lifetime of it.

Sandwich

Neo Member
Now that Steam home streaming is out of beta, I was thinking of getting a low-cost PC that I could hook up to my big TV in the livingroom. I want it to be able to stream 1080p games from my desktop gaming PC (wired and wifi) and also be good enough to handle indie games and dx9+ point and click adventures and such on its own.

So anyone have any thoughts on what PC would be best for this? I mean, I'm basically looking for some "outside the box" ideas here because I do know a lot about building PC's and PC hardware and such. One example of "outside the box" ideas would be some of the new "steam-boxes". Though whatever I get must be available in Norway somehow. So a Steam-box made in the US isn't cost effective due to shipping.

I usually buy my PC hardware from a Norwegian site called komplett.no and they do have some mini-form-factor PC's with proper graphics cards and CPU's, but they do get a bit pricey and they are perhaps a bit overkill for what I will be using them for.

Anyway, enough rambling. Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

LilJoka

Now that Steam home streaming is out of beta, I was thinking of getting a low-cost PC that I could hook up to my big TV in the livingroom. I want it to be able to stream 1080p games from my desktop gaming PC (wired and wifi) and also be good enough to handle indie games and dx9+ point and click adventures and such on its own.

So anyone have any thoughts on what PC would be best for this? I mean, I'm basically looking for some "outside the box" ideas here because I do know a lot about building PC's and PC hardware and such. One example of "outside the box" ideas would be some of the new "steam-boxes". Though whatever I get must be available in Norway somehow. So a Steam-box made in the US isn't cost effective due to shipping.

I usually buy my PC hardware from a Norwegian site called komplett.no and they do have some mini-form-factor PC's with proper graphics cards and CPU's, but they do get a bit pricey and they are perhaps a bit overkill for what I will be using them for.

All you need is a PC that can decode 1080p video, such as an Intel Pentium or cheapo AMD. Don't need a dedicated GPU, integrated works.

riflen

I'm afraid I'm about to make the dumbest question ever, but would a raspberry be enough to pull that off?

The Pi uses an ARM APU. I do not think that Valve have built a Steam client for ARM architecture. There are plenty of Linux builds for Pi/ARM, but I don't think a version of Steam exists that would run on them.
Whether the hardware could do it or not is another question, but its rather moot at this point. For reference, Steam streaming works rather well on my test setup that uses a Dual-core Atom CPU with integrated Nvidia ION2 GPU and 2GB RAM. I can hit 60fps in some of the titles I've tried (Arkham City and the LEGO games).

Rafy

How about an Gigabyte Brix PC? Since there you will be only streaming I think it could be good enough right? here in Italy the cheap ones range from 150 to 250 euros on Amazon.

Well yeah but they are basing their theories on screenshots with cpu core utilisation from windows task manager :D

True, maybe in some time I will make a thread to clear up some issues related to PC gaming. That ultra settings can be a low difference, that VRAM usage because of caching isn't required to be as high to get the same results. That you shouldn't care about Passmark and that Ubisoft games can run like shit. Stuff like that. Way too many people are way too worried about PC specs.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

So you just want it to stream games and have basic utility...
What price/budget and form factor were you looking at?

Any mATX / ITX cases strike your fancy?
In July 2012 i built this pc:

i5 3570k (never bothered to overclock it)
750w Antec power supply (intended on overclocking the cpu, and SLI 2 video cards... neither have happened)
gtx 560ti
8gb ram
1tb hdd
dvd burner

The only thing i have done since buying it is periodically switch out the dvd burner for a blu-ray burner, then a regular dvd burner again. I have been meaning to get a second hard drive, switch from 8 to 16gb ram and a new video card (been thinking about a GTX 780 for a few months but by the time i make up my mind the 800 series will be out lol).

There is plenty of life left in my rig, with a few tweaks i could extend the lifetime of it.
Yup only thing that needs replacing is GPU when you want and get an SSD.
Apparently, that part number can't be found any-fucking-where anymore..it just vanished.

Actually there's this guy on ebay trying to sell 6GB of the same ram for like 180$ :D

i guess i'm keeping my 6GB until the next substantial upgrade...which i don't think is coming anytime soon, since, compatibility with newer parts aside (read: manufacturers being assholes) mobo, cpu and ram don't really need to be changed or updated.
If it's that hard to find just get 3x2GB of DDR3 from the same manf and rated speed if possible. As close as you can makes the most sense for an upgrade. In reality you have a ton of options (like even 4x4GB or 2x8GB) It'll just be dual channel vs tri which isn't a big deal in most applications.
My Girlfriend's father came from the States yesterday and brought me the 4670k I had ordered from microcenter. I know everyone's raving about Devil's Canyon but I just could not pass it up at 140€ with that day's conversion rate. Now to buy the rest of the components. I will just be running it on the on-board graphics until I can afford the 280 or 280x I am planning for. This is what I plan to use:

When I am done it would have cost me a total of around 550/650 euro max.

I am undecided about the case though, if I get anything but the define R4 I will add noise dampening foam on my own from the kits they sell online. I am really keen on going with the NZXT phantom 410 because of the radiator mount on top. It's basically out of the case but covered by the plastic top. Later down the line I will probably add an H220(X).

Any thoughts? Can you maybe help me out picking a case? Should I go with an M.2 ssd?
Sounds like you have one you like. You may want to look at the Enthoo Pro.

M.2 SSD I haven't compared everything yet. You can look at M550/840 EVO for performance/reliability.

Sandwich

Neo Member
Thanks for the replies guys. Tough, as I said I wont be using it only for streaming. I will be using it to play new indie games and "light" games that require directx9 compatible graphics hardware. I need the PC to be able to do this for when I take it out of my house.

I have no recent experience when it comes to integrated graphics chips so can those handle modern indie titles and directx9 (or higher) games? I know that laptop type graphics hardware can handle such games easily these days but do your suggestions have the same basic capabilities (raw power aside)?

Dr Dogg

Rafy

Sounds like you have one you like. You may want to look at the Enthoo Pro.

M.2 SSD I haven't compared everything yet. You can look at M550/840 EVO for performance/reliability.

I have looked at the Enthoo Pro and would buy it in a heartbeat over anything else but it still has not come out in Italy and have not been able to find it on the European ebay just yet.

TheD

The Detective
Well yeah but they are basing their theories on screenshots with cpu core utilisation from windows task manager :D

Also some youtube videos that only shows normal load balancing by the windows scheduler across the logical cores, yet somehow it is the sign of the death of quad cores!

kennah

Get the superclocked. The classified is intended for overclocking and benchmarking.

Dumb question continued from the last page--is an older GT610 as good as or better than today's integrated GPUs?
No it would barely run games.

Find a used 560ti for $50-60 :p

Can you give us a full list of the parts you will be using?

Water

Dumb question continued from the last page--is an older GT610 as good as or better than today's integrated GPUs?

Since it's a proper Nvidia GPU it has better drivers, GL support etc. but it's too old to be really good in that regard. It was the absolute bottom of the range when introduced so performance is poor. Should be close to the cheapo Intel HD 4000/5000.

kennah

Since it's a proper Nvidia GPU it has better drivers, GL support etc. but it's too old to be really good in that regard. It was the absolute bottom of the range when introduced so performance is poor. Should be close to the cheapo Intel HD 4000/5000.
HD 4000 is faster than a 610

Having a little issue with my PC. Opened the case up yesterday and cleaned all the dust out, and while I was at it, I noticed that my secondary HDD either hadn't been aligned properly by the company I bought it from, or had been dislodged during delivery. Surprised that it had even worked at all for this amount of time. So I placed it properly in its tray, then put everything back together. Then when I booted the PC, I got a weird whirring/grinding noise coming from the case. Rebooted, happened again. Started it for the third time, and the noise was gone. Now today, turned it on, got the noise again. Put the PC in sleep mode, then turned it back on, and the noise was gone. Anyone have any idea what this could be resulting from?

kennah

I know it's taboo in this thread, but if someone were considering a build that will rely on an iGPU, wouldn't an APU be preferable?
Not taboo at all. Look at the SFF builds in the OP. I built an A4 for my grandma and it performs acceptable for when we visit.
Wich one is the beste one, Corsair H105 or H100i?
Whichever is cheaper. What cpu?
Having a little issue with my PC. Opened the case up yesterday and cleaned all the dust out, and while I was at it, I noticed that my secondary HDD either hadn't been aligned properly by the company I bought it from, or had been dislodged during delivery. Surprised that it had even worked at all for this amount of time. So I placed it properly in its tray, then put everything back together. Then when I booted the PC, I got a weird whirring/grinding noise coming from the case. Rebooted, happened again. Started it for the third time, and the noise was gone. Now today, turned it on, got the noise again. Put the PC in sleep mode, then turned it back on, and the noise was gone. Anyone have any idea what this could be resulting from?
Probably a wire in a fan.

Not taboo at all. Look at the SFF builds in the OP. I built an A4 for my grandma and it performs acceptable for when we visit.

Whichever is cheaper. What cpu?

Probably a wire in a fan.

Hmm, I guess I'll open it up again to have a look. Speedfan says that fans 2 and 3 (out of 5) aren't spinning (shows 0 RPM).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom