• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

That's bad news :(

I was hoping for a non-X 8 core.
Well, saves me money, because now I can just as well go for the "cheapest" Haswell-E.

Yep, pretty sad to hear. Intel using their monopoly. They are throwing out 10core 20thread CPUs for the server market for a year, so its not like they have yield issue. Just applying the high performance tax. We all know that the 6c12t CPUs out currently smash the competition and will continue to do so, but 8c16t would have been nice without the extreme tax.

Woffls

Okay my current rig is getting on a bit, but I don't play PC games enough to warrant a full upgrade, even after over six years. I'm looking at a 750 Ti or a 760, but I don't know if the extra cash for a 760 is worth it for a GPU that will, presumably, be heavily bottle-necked by my Q6600. I assume memory is less of an issue when you've got 2GB on the GPU?

Full current specs :(
Intel Q6600 @ 2.4 (no oc)
EVGA 8800GT
4GB PC6400 @ 800Mhz
600W PSU, think it was OCZ.
Kingston 240GB HyperX 3K SSD

Main reasons for upgrade are so I can make the system quieter and turn off some fans. Additionally, I have a backlog of Steam sale games that my card cries about and overheats. The temperature this thing runs at is ridiculous.

Mine01

Maybe a new GPU. Are you planning a new display...? What is your budget?

Stop playing all lesser games and start only playing Paradox games.

Im planning to keep this display for a while.

Aboud the budget, i dunno, i have a part time work (im at college) so i have some money.

I was thinking about a r7 265 but i dont know if its a huge jump on visuals and FPS.

Was hoping Haswell-E would be out a bit sooner. Getting tired of waiting to upgrade from this i7 860.

I've been waiting for the hardware planets to align as well. Haswell-E and hopefully 20nm GPU that's not too compromised. I am so ready to throw a ton of money on my next build. I was hoping by the end of the year but now I'm looking at at least early next year.

VoxPop

Also 1920x1200 GPU benchies

b7cz6u1tvcdvfcsa7bac.png

Aw my GTX 570 has finally met its match. Downloading the game right now so I don't know for sure. I guess I should do a slight upgrade. Would a R9 270x be a significant jump? Or should I aim for the 280?

kharma45

Aw my GTX 570 has finally met its match. Downloading the game right now so I don't know for sure. I guess I should do a slight upgrade. Would a R9 270x be a significant jump? Or should I aim for the 280?

I'd go 280 or 280X, the 270X wouldn't be worth it. 760 or a 770 would also be a decent way to go.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
What I'm wondering is if my 270X 4GB does any better than that 2GB.

Ah well. It gets the most recent stuff playable, and there is usually one primary resource-hog effect that kills shit that I can turn off to get solid 60fps. That'll do.

VoxPop

I'd go 280 or 280X, the 270X wouldn't be worth it. 760 or a 770 would also be a decent way to go.

Dice said:
What I'm wondering is if my 270X 4GB does any better than that 2GB.

Ah well. It gets the most recent stuff playable, and there is usually one primary resource-hog effect that kills shit that I can turn off to get solid 60fps. That'll do.

Thanks guys. The GPU will probably be my final purchase of PC goods I need. Currently working on getting the LG34UM95 and a new mobo/smaller case. Maybe the price will drop by then.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Picked up a 4670k and an Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer.
Hope to see a decent jump from my aging FX-8120 with a crash inducing motherboard.

appaws

Banned
Im planning to keep this display for a while.

Aboud the budget, i dunno, i have a part time work (im at college) so i have some money.

I was thinking about a r7 265 but i dont know if its a huge jump on visuals and FPS.

I don't know man, that's tough...maybe some of the heavies on here will chime in....

The 250X is roughly the same as a 7770 I think, so that's what you have now. I don't know how much of an upgrade a 265 would be...?

If I was you, I would sock away a little money and buy a decent, lower-priced 1080p monitor. I think that is the best upgrade you could make:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QZ2dxr
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QZ2dxr/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QZ2dxr/benchmarks/

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $309.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 18:23 EDT-0400)

$300 and you would be at 1080p with 2 free games and a pretty good card....

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Board looks fine, but wondering what made you pick that one?

I chose the z97 chipset because the prices were pretty dang close to the z87 and for future broadwell options.
The reasoning for the Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer was primarily the features for the price.

I didn't want to go above $150 and still wanted M.2 and legacy pci ports for my wifi card.
This board fit the bill and looks like it has decent onboard audio and will be able to take the 4670k to where I need it.

TofuEater

My 60gb Ocz Vertex2 decided to die after two years. Does not detect in bios. I have tried the usual power cycle etc to no avail. However it does have only a green light whereas many people whose Vertex2 died has a red and green light.

Anyway I'm in the market for a new ssd. Consensus from previous posts all point to the Samsung evo 840. How do these drives compare to say the Corsair neutrons?

Not going OCZ if anyone asks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My 60gb Ocz Vertex2 decided to die after two years. Does not detect in bios. I have tried the usual power cycle etc to no avail. However it does have only a green light whereas many people whose Vertex2 died has a red and green light.

Anyway I'm in the market for a new ssd. Consensus from previous posts all point to the Samsung evo 840. How do these drives compare to say the Corsair neutrons?

Not going OCZ if anyone asks.
250GB or higher I'd go 840 EVO.

I still prefer them over the competition for price/performance/track record.

Smokey

Like me, you are still on a 2600K? This waiting is torture. Should have been out next month. Intel better not delay it again pass September.

Yep. I had convinced myself to pick up a Devil's Canyon proc with a Z97 board rather than Haswell-E. Now that they're coming out at the same time I think I'll just go with the latter.

On a different note:

Linus overview of ASUS PB287Q 4K monitor

Should be hitting pretty soon. Although it uses the same panel as my Samsung 4k, the stand is VASTLY superior. It features swivel, tilt, and (*gasp*) height adjustment . Comes in at $699 I believe. Considering flipping my Samsung for this. The stand is pretty bad on mine...and by bad I mean you can't do anything with it.

I see a lot of people talking about the Windows text size/scaling @ 4k. I have found that setting Windows scaling at 125%, and Firefox at 110% to be my comfort area. Perfect for me and I don't feel like I'm squinting.

Prodigal

Banned
So I recently got a 760GTX to go with my i-2500k but my PSU is pretty old and only 500W. It's been fine so far but I've just been wondering if the PSU could be impacting any gaming performance. I've been playing Crysis 3 at 1080p with 2xMSAA at mostly Very High settings at 35+ FPS which seems appropriate, but I always get OCD to make sure new hardware is working properly. 3DMark results seemed fine too, but they don't let you do much with the free version.

Rafy

I'd stick with the 4670k for now, as there would be no need to upgrade that for quite a while, whereas if you went for something lower it's just more money to spend down the line. If you're really bothered, pick up everything except the video card, save for a month and just play indie games on the internal graphics, then buy a nice video card for it.

This is what I am doing too. I'll be using the on board HD4600 until I can get the 280x.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Thanks guys. The GPU will probably be my final purchase of PC goods I need. Currently working on getting the LG34UM95 and a new mobo/smaller case. Maybe the price will drop by then.
I went with 270X because my AM3-not-+ mobo is effectively capped with my 955 BE (1100T not worth the money), which would bottleneck something higher. If I were getting a new mobo that supported a nicer CPU I'd definitely go for a higher card. As for now I'm probably going to wait 3-5 years to build a new machine depending on my gaming habits. This will have to hold out a while, which shouldn't be too bad if I don't get too greedy and play mostly out of my backlog rather than new AAA games. Although, even those might still perform pretty well with Mantle and such.

Haha Smokey, it can never come out fast enough for you. Do the parts in your machine even have a chance to collect intake dust before you replace them? ^_^

Consistently Super Jelly of your rig

Does anyone know if its a good idea to buy an card used for mining?

A local guy is selling a bunch of r9 280x, they used it for mining but didn't work out, so hes trying to get money back. The prices ranges between how much each one where used. 200 bucks the ones with 2 months non stop, and some for 210-230, used for 1 month, 1 week, and some days.

I have a HD 6870, so i think it would be a good upgrade, but what dos NeoGAF thinks?

If you're willing to buy cards used for mining and are willing to pay around $230 I've seen some r9 290's go for $250 on ebay.

oneils

Hey there, I'm looking to replace my monitors (my secondary monitor broke) and would love some advice.

I'm thinking of getting two 24 inch monitors with 1080p.

My budget is about 300 bucks per monitor.

Any suggestions? I mostly play video games and watch youtube videos on my monitors. I don't watch movies. I have a TV for that.

I currently have an HP 2509b and a Viewsonic VP201s. The viewsonic is borked. I think I bought it back in 2004 for about 900 bucks. Was state of the art back then.

I'm not really sure what to get. There seems to be two camps:

- 120hz/lightboost TN crowd, or
- IPS 10bit colour crowd.

I think I would be fine with either.

Smokey

Haha Smokey, it can never come out fast enough for you. Do the parts in your machine even have a chance to collect intake dust before you replace them? ^_^

Consistently Super Jelly of your rig

Funny you say that. Some fun things will be showing up next week from NewEgg :p

I like playing with new stuff and have always been a graphics whore. It wasn't until I built my PC that I was finally able to properly express myself. Being on the edge of some of this stuff means that I gotta look ahead to see if I can get better performance i.e. 4k. That means more CPU cores, better GPUs (or more GPUs) etc. All about having things fit nicely together.

Please be gentle. Because, there's no way they'll announce a release date. :(

But it's already long overdue!

Rumors said 28nm launch this year!

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL

Well, that's a bit much. I'd just order a 4GB 760 (unless there's an insanely good deal on a 4GB 770).

I already cracked in April and bought a 780 3gb. I will flip it for an 880 as soon as I can, barring some insane price hike or terrible perf increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom