• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

Not sure if you've seen this - did a search of 5960 but couldn't find anything.

Thought you might find it useful

intel_haswell_e_specifications.png

Really wouldn't shock me at all if this is the case with the 5960x and 5930k...8 core vs. 6 core. It's how I've had it playing out in my head.

I don't know man, that's tough...maybe some of the heavies on here will chime in....

The 250X is roughly the same as a 7770 I think, so that's what you have now. I don't know how much of an upgrade a 265 would be...?

If I was you, I would sock away a little money and buy a decent, lower-priced 1080p monitor. I think that is the best upgrade you could make:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QZ2dxr
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QZ2dxr/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QZ2dxr/benchmarks/

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $309.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 18:23 EDT-0400)

$300 and you would be at 1080p with 2 free games and a pretty good card....l

The 250x is slightly slower than the 7770. Its more like a 7750.

Rough equivalents:

250x = 7750
260 = 7770
260x = 7790
265 = 7850
270 = 7870

The 7850 is far more powerful than the 7770 or even the 7790 due to the 256 bit bus. Likewise, the R7 265 is a much better GPU than any of the lower cards. Like the 7850 before it, the 265 is arguably the "sweet spot" AMD GPU right now if you can get one for, say, $130. Like all of the R7's its basically just a tweaked refresh of the earlier HD GPU...but that does mean it will give slightly better performance than the 7850 (kind of half-way between the 7850 and 7870). Bottom line is the 265 is a great GPU for the money. Unless you find a 270 for a similar price the 265 is the best bang for the buck right now. I own a 7850 and love the frame-rates. Its generally even playable on most games at 2560 x 1600.

On the other hand, for some applications I like nVidia's GTX 750ti just a tiny bit more since it gives similar performance to the 265 at half the power draw and about the same price point. The 750ti is, right now, the best performance per watt GPU available and is absolutely perfect for low power/low heat/Steam machine/HTPC duties. To be honest I'm surprised the 750ti hasnt gotten a lot more hype as its performance per watt is arguably borderline revolutionary. Anywho, both the 265 and 750ti are great GPUs and well worth the money.

mkenyon

Banned
I wonder if the 8 core architecture leads to a really difficult binning process. The fact that the two lower SKUs have 2 cores locked off really confuses me. Why throw all that money away?

I got my Asus GTX 780 in the mail today. I've been playing with it a bit and I'm surprised so far.

I owned an EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC prior to this but returned it after deciding to buy something online to save a bit of money. This card was a $487 and the EVGA was like $560 after tax.

While I think the EVGA card looks nicer that's about the only thing I can count in its favor. Granted, it's clocked faster from the factory (hence: superclocked) but I was only able to get a stable GPU OC of around +40Mhz above stock. I'm sitting pretty at roughly +222Mhz on the Asus and I feel like it's much quieter.

This ok?

I also must say that the Asus packaging is FAR superior to EVGA's. Not that it matters really but I gotta give kudos. You wouldn't think you're buying a $500 item when you open the EVGA product. Asus also came with an SLI bridge which I thought was a nice touch, EVGA card did not.

Knch

I'm slightly skeptical that will do what I want it to do, but hey, I might give it a shot.

I've used this method to install all of my more recent rigs. Very sure I made more than one 64-bit bootable USB from my 32-bit Atom-powered server.

If you go this route, the "active" command is which makes your USB drive bootable and make sure to copy over the hidden files from the DVD/ISO.

I have 16GB of RAM and low SSD space.
Anything wrong with limiting page file to 1GB (currently set to 16)?

No reason to not run an as small as possible pagefile on your SSD (set it manually to 0, Windows will complain that it needs at least x, set it to that value)

If for some reason you do actually need more swap space, put it on a secondary drive.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well update on my situation:

Got new P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) to replace my fire-killed one and set everything up and after some BIOS updating my new i5 3570k worked with it when I had it outside the case testing with the PSU. So after putting everything together i get a Overclocking Failed! error and the Boot device LED on the motherboard is on. Anything that can be causing this? Everything seems to be plugged in properly and I popped the i3 I was upgrading from back in to see if it was the i5 but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Full specs atm: Intel Core i5 3570K / G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 / ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 / MSI Gaming N760 TF 4GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 4GB / Antec BP550 Plus /
NZXT Source 210 Elite/ WD 1.5 TB HDD Black

BIOS screen with some info:
ntcI6oSl.jpg

Starting to think it'd be easier to return the 3570K and get a newer mobo with the appropriate i5 for it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well update on my situation:

Got new P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) to replace my fire-killed one and set everything up and after some BIOS updating my new i5 3570k worked with it when I had it outside the case testing with the PSU. So after putting everything together i get a Overclocking Failed! error and the Boot device LED on the motherboard is on. Anything that can be causing this? Everything seems to be plugged in properly and I popped the i3 I was upgrading from back in to see if it was the i5 but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Full specs atm: Intel Core i5 3570K / G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 / ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 / MSI Gaming N760 TF 4GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 4GB / Antec BP550 Plus /
NZXT Source 210 Elite/ WD 1.5 TB HDD Black

BIOS screen with some info:
ntcI6oSl.jpg

Starting to think it'd be easier to return the 3570K and get a newer mobo with the appropriate i5 for it.
The previous owner probably just didn't set the BIOS back to default before shipping it out.

Go ahead and restore default settings in the BIOS if you haven't. You can also use the CMOS reset jumper.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The previous owner probably just didn't set the BIOS back to default before shipping it out.

Go ahead and restore default settings in the BIOS if you haven't. You can also use the CMOS reset jumper.

Tried that and it seems to just do the same, but selecting boot from the BIOS and click my harddrive seems to make it actually start but I don't know if this is safe or not.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Tried that and it seems to just do the same, but selecting boot from the BIOS and click my harddrive seems to make it actually start but I don't know if this is safe or not.
It's an error that ASUS likes to throw when it can't load previous settings as well (not just overclock).

You can try changing these settings and see if it drops the error. (It also might give it to you if you shutdown in BIOS without restarting, or from hard power offs).

Clear RTC RAM (Jumper)
and/or
Disable "Internal PLL Overvoltage" (BIOS)
and/or
Advanced>APM> Enable the wake on PCIe. (BIOS)

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Poster child upgrade RIP.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Well update to this is that the computer runs perfectly, but it requires me to push my heatsink into my board a bit more when booting and then using the bios to select my harddrive to boot. Once I'm in Windows everything was slow at first but after some driver installing and rebooting a few times I solved it somehow just through regular use. Tested the heat with RealTemp since i was conserned about having to push the heat sink into a little on boot and it's going low 40's just doing regular stuff and 55-60 while playing Metal Gear Rising with Zangeki and other stuff all turned up. Not sure if this is safe still but I'd like some opinions.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well update to this is that the computer runs perfectly, but it requires me to push my heatsink into my board a bit more when booting and then using the bios to select my harddrive to boot. Once I'm in Windows everything was slow at first but after some driver installing and rebooting a few times I solved it somehow just through regular use. Tested the heat with RealTemp since i was conserned about having to push the heat sink into a little on boot and it's going low 40's just doing regular stuff and 55-60 while playing Metal Gear Rising with Zangeki and other stuff all turned up. Not sure if this is safe still but I'd like some opinions.
If it's the stock intel cooler I would remount it and make sure all the push pins go through the motherboard and that the pins are LOCKED when you push them in.

You only unlock them to unmount it and it's easy enough to have one teeter inbetween and not stay solid.

Load temps on CPU are fine. <70C load won't do any harm.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
If it's the stock intel cooler I would remount it and make sure all the push pins go through the motherboard and that the pins are LOCKED when you push them in.

You only unlock them to unmount it and it's easy enough to have one teeter inbetween and not stay solid.

Load temps on CPU are fine. <70C load won't do any harm.

Great that this is finally over then! Going to try your thing above when I put this back in my room.

Sadly I'm in the market for a new monitor now since my roommate knocked my PSU into it while I let him take a look. It's mostly fine but that scratch in the middle is unsightly so I'm going to look at low lag 1080p monitors now. RIP my money.

I wonder if the 8 core architecture leads to a really difficult binning process. The fact that the two lower SKUs have 2 cores locked off really confuses me. Why throw all that money away?

Manufacturing 8 core CPU's at 22nm is not easy by any stretch of the imagination. There is so much that can go wrong in clean rooms, especially when dealing with technology that is so sensative. A single FM incident could cost them hundreds of chips that otherwise would have been perfectly good. They rigerously test everything, so anything that has 6/8 working cores is worth shipping out for some kind of revenue instead of tossing out.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It's an error that ASUS likes to throw when it can't load previous settings as well (not just overclock).

You can try changing these settings and see if it drops the error. (It also might give it to you if you shutdown in BIOS without restarting, or from hard power offs).

Clear RTC RAM (Jumper)
and/or
Disable "Internal PLL Overvoltage" (BIOS)
and/or
Advanced>APM> Enable the wake on PCIe. (BIOS)

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Poster child upgrade RIP.

Well I tried all these and they don't seem to fix anything. I think it might be a bug with the mobo? Well I can boot from the BIOS anyways so I don't care too much.

Rafy

Yay, my ASRock z97 Pro4 just arrived. In the next one or two weeks I'll be getting the RAM and PSU and run it ghetto-style bench on the mobo box until the Enthoo Pro is out in Italy and I can afford the 280x.

Woffls

My 8800GT just kicked it - looks like overheating. I've got old hardware so I don't know if it's worth going up to a 760 from the 750 Ti OC for an extra £50. It will be limited by a Q6600 and DDR2, but I have a good SSD and PSU. Any advice? Thanks. Is it also worth considering the R9 270X?

kharma45

My 8800GT just kicked it - looks like overheating. I've got old hardware so I don't know if it's worth going up to a 760 from the 750 Ti OC for an extra £50. It will be limited by a Q6600 and DDR2, but I have a good SSD and PSU. Any advice? Thanks. Is it also worth considering the R9 270X?

What's your budget for it?

You'll be limited in some games yes (especially if it's not OC'd), and not in others. It varies from title to title.

Any GPU upgrade will still be appreciable though.

Righty ho I have a couple of random issues, maybe someone here can help?

- I'm getting awful interference noises on my speakers when I click, drag a window, load up a game, etc. Sounds like a high pitched sqeak/whine. It's only vaguely recent and have a feeling it started when I was fiddling with playback settings. I think I was able to have the PC only detect 2 speakers, and have no sound interference, or when i convinced it I had 4 speakers (option had been greyed out for some reason) I then got the interference "whine". Cant for the life of me remember how I persuaded it I have 4 speakers - no option of a driver rollback unfortunately. Was bearable in Witcher 2 but in Batman ao it's unbearable. On board sound, p6tse motherboard which has been well behaved for years.

Well I FINALLY solved this issue - posting here in case anyone else hits it. I had my PC Speaker (the beep, I guess) set to play through those speakers, on top of the line in, onboard audio, cd audio, etc. I unticked the option, and miraculously the hissing stopped. I can only assume I was missing a cable on the mobo so it was only picking up static.

Sweet. Didn't know a small form factor build section was added into the post. Thanks!

I think there might be a formatting error between mobile-gaf and full sized gaf... I just clicked my m.neogaf link on a desktop machine and it took me to the OP instead of the post I wanted to link to.

For non-mobile gaf the link is : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=101813771&postcount=5520 - there's a link to imgur on there with that case in. It's a gorgeous build.

I heard somewhere that Intels devils canyon might be delayed to much later, anybody else recommend something that's closer or more powerful than it?

Where did you hear this, because the company that accidentally (and correctly) released the Haswell refresh info a few weeks before release did the same for Devil's Canyon a few days ago.

Woffls

What's your budget for it?
Most I'll spend is ~£150 considering how little use it will get. Whether I spend the extra on a card depends upon how my current components impact the performance, like if I need the extra power to compensate for the CPU, or more memory to avoid using slow ass DDR2 - and if my mobo (P5Ne SLI) even supports that kind of bandwidth.

It's important for the card to be quiet as well, especially whilst idling.

That site's reputation is garbage. They're going to be officially announced on Monday, and we'll find out when we can buy them then. I'm still fully expecting that to be June. You've got all these mobo manufacturers holding off their OC boards for Computex. They're not waiting around four months for the chips. Hell, we've already got Z97 on the market for no reason whatsoever. They need to provide chips now, and I think they will.

That site's reputation is garbage. They're going to be officially announced on Monday, and we'll find out when we can buy them then. I'm still fully expecting that to be June. You've got all these mobo manufacturers holding off their OC boards for Computex. They're not waiting around four months for the chips. Hell, we've already got Z97 on the market for no reason whatsoever. They need to provide chips now, and I think they will.

I hope your right man, I don't want to wait till September to build my PC.

kiri

Help me PCGaf!

My 4 year old laptop is on its last legs, requiring ice packs to keep the battery from melting a hole in the casing. I live in Japan and want to buy a desktop...any ideas? I want to use it for gaming, ideally playing the latest games with decent-to-high settings.

I've been looking at dospara and mouse computer...any other ideas??

What about these two setups?
http://www.g-tune.jp/desktop/standard_model_corei7/i840ga4.html
http://www.g-tune.jp/desktop/masterpiece_2/i1440ga1_doc_cl.html

kharma45

Most I'll spend is ~£150 considering how little use it will get. Whether I spend the extra on a card depends upon how my current components impact the performance, like if I need the extra power to compensate for the CPU, or more memory to avoid using slow ass DDR2 - and if my mobo (P5Ne SLI) even supports that kind of bandwidth.

It's important for the card to be quiet as well, especially whilst idling.

If quiet is important hard to go wrong with this for £130 plus two games http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...tm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=PCPartPicker

Their 760 is also v. quiet but it's over the £150 mark. Sapphire has a 270X for the same price as that 270 but I don't think it's as quiet.

kiyomi

Help me PCGaf!

My 4 year old laptop is on its last legs, requiring ice packs to keep the battery from melting a hole in the casing. I live in Japan and want to buy a desktop...any ideas? I want to use it for gaming, ideally playing the latest games with decent-to-high settings.

I've been looking at dospara and mouse computer...any other ideas??

What about these two setups?
http://www.g-tune.jp/desktop/standard_model_corei7/i840ga4.html
http://www.g-tune.jp/desktop/masterpiece_2/i1440ga1_doc_cl.html

I was going to say those are nicely spec'd out, but no SSD on either of them? Unless I'm missing something.

Also how much do those cost? Any reason why you can't build one yourself?

kiri

I was going to say those are nicely spec'd out, but no SSD on either of them? Unless I'm missing something.

Also how much do those cost? Any reason why you can't build one yourself?

First is 1380GBP/2260USD
Second is 1470GBP/2450USD

I don't want to build as I'm in Japan and worry about warranties and messing something up. Plus my hosue is carpeted and I know I'd end up destroying something during the build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom