• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

How well do the 750/760 hold up in comparison?

I'm just making assumptions for them, but going by previous games at least it should still be at worst on par with the 8350 in WD if not better, and that's before OCing. They're still great CPUs.

What also makes me chuckle is again some people coming in here and trying to tell us i3s are terrible buys and that we should be going for the FX 6300 as Watch_Dogs will be able to use its full potential. Lo and behold the i3 beats it and isn't far off the 8350.

I think I deserve a round of applause..

I built my first computer over the weekend, and it's incredible.

It booted into BIOS on my first try. I was so happy GAF.

Just got Dark Souls, South Park Stick of Truth, and Watch Dogs.

n64 emulator and ps2 emulator.

Made a Fry's run this weekend and came home with this:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
Motherboard: MSI Z87I Gaming AC
CPU: Core i5-4590
Graphics Card: MSI GTX750 Ti TF 2GB
Hard Drive: Seagate 1 TB 7200 RPM
PSU: CM Elite V2 550W ATX

I just need to get some RAM (any suggestions?), Windows 7 (can I get on USB or download?) and *maybe a BR drive.

Any feedback on the parts?

For RAM you could look into Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance. They're low profile so you'll save some space seeing as you have a smaller enclosure. Windows 7 you can install via USB after you've downloaded.

This thread has been the down-to-earth reasoning in a world of manic over reactions and over-the-top statements of what hardware is obsolete.
I am, of course, referencing Watch Dogs.

kharma45

Made a Fry's run this weekend and came home with this:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
Motherboard: MSI Z87I Gaming AC
CPU: Core i5-4590
Graphics Card: MSI GTX750 Ti TF 2GB
Hard Drive: Seagate 1 TB 7200 RPM
PSU: CM Elite V2 550W ATX

I just need to get some RAM (any suggestions?), Windows 7 (can I get on USB or download?) and *maybe a BR drive.

Any feedback on the parts?

PSU I would've gone a different way but the rest is sound.

RAM wise this is what I'd grab http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Windows 7 you could buy from reddit on r/softwareswap and from there you will be given a key, a link to an ISO download and you can then load it on to a USB to install.

Smokey

Serandur

I'm just making assumptions for them, but going by previous games at least it should still be at worst on par with the 8350 in WD if not better, and that's before OCing. They're still great CPUs.

What also makes me chuckle is again some people coming in here and trying to tell us i3s are terrible buys and that we should be going for the FX 6300 as Watch_Dogs will be able to use its full potential. Lo and behold the i3 beats it and isn't far off the 8350.

That's fantastic, how are Intel even selling any new stuff at this rate? :p

A friend of mine was lucky enough to find a full 2009 Dell XPS Studio in the dumpster behind his apartment complex a couple weeks back and after cleaning it out, replacing its PSU, and replacing its thermal paste it all functions perfectly fine. It's got an i7-940 and a Radeon HD 4870 and though it doesn't seem like it can be overclocked with its current motherboard, I was thinking I could find a functional x58 mobo somewhere and fix it up into a modern usable machine with an R7 265 or something for him. The funny part is the same friend insists on getting an FX CPU (he has professional ties to Global Foundries, likes AMD CPUs) for a new build, and I was thinking it would be a side-grade at best over his 5 year old dumpster chip. :p

Overclock and wait 3 months for devil canyon.

Ok, will do!

I'm still on stock cooler, so no overclock for me untill I get a better one.
Problem now will be finding a decent (non entry) cooler for a ok price where I live.

Does anyone got any suggestions on which cooler should I buy to moderately overclock an i7-860?

kiyomi

Windows 7 you could buy from reddit on r/softwareswap and from there you will be given a key, a link to an ISO download and you can then load it on to a USB to install.

Dumb question: if I got hold of a direct-download ISO can I just copy it over to a USB stick or does it have to be made with the Windows USB/DVD Tool?

Does anyone know if its a good idea to buy an card used for mining?

A local guy is selling a bunch of r9 280x, they used it for mining but didn't work out, so hes trying to get money back. The prices ranges between how much each one where used. 200 bucks the ones with 2 months non stop, and some for 210-230, used for 1 month, 1 week, and some days.

I have a HD 6870, so i think it would be a good upgrade, but what dos NeoGAF thinks?

kiyomi

syoaran

So is the GAF consensus now that an i5 4670k is still slightly better value than an i7 4770k at the same speeds?

Wondering which of these processors to get [the extra cash probably going to watercooling to overclock past 4ghz]

Dunbar

All right, here is what I have so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($304.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.94 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.23 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($503.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($117.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1262.59

I'm still stuck on the RAM and case. All RAM I look at seems to be designed for overclocking and I want 2 regular 8 GB sticks with a low profile. So still looking there. And haven't even started looking for a case yet.

I want the system just for gaming and maybe an occasional stream. No overclocking. Any obvious problems? Will everything I've picked so far work well enough together? Thanks.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.94 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.23 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($503.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($117.98 @ Newegg)

I'm still stuck on the RAM and case. All RAM I look at seems to be designed for overclocking and I want 2 regular 8 GB sticks with a low profile. So still looking there. And haven't even started looking for a case yet.

I want the system just for gaming and maybe an occasional stream. No overclocking. Any obvious problems? Will everything I've picked so far work well enough together? Thanks.

If you aren't overclocking is there really a need for the cpu cooler? Stock fan should work just fine.

Stubo

Why are you against overclocking out of interest? It has never been easier!

Keep the 212 evo, get rid of the thermal paste since you get some with the evo. Maybe look at a cheaper psu (xfx/seasonic/evga?)

I'll be able to provide links and generally better help later if no one's covered you by then :)

bill0527

Hey guys my current rig:

I5 2500k
8GB DDR3
GeForce 560ti
Corsair 650w power supply

I just bought an XFX R9 280X 3GB card to replace the 560ti and I am having issues.

Upon installing the card and catalyst control center, my screen will randomly start violently shaking for seconds at a time. I've done a lot of troubleshooting and noticed in CPU ID that my processor seems to be having wild power fluctuations that coincide with the screen shaking. I also ran a power supply calculator and it looks like I am going to need a 750w power supply for this card. Does this sound plausible? Am I heading down the right road and order a new power supply or could this simply be a driver issue?

kharma45

You won't need 16GB of RAM. OCing is easy, and it's good to have the option too.

I'll do a rough build now for you.

Edit - This is just a good mid-range case, you could go up to $100 for something like an R4 and everything else inbetween

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Tachyon 550W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Other: NZXT H230 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Includes 1 x 120mm Front, 1 x 120mm Rear 2 x USB 3.0 ($59.99)
Total: $1250.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 11:36 EDT-0400)

You could also go mATX too if you wanted.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone PS07B MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Tachyon 550W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1245.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 11:41 EDT-0400)

riflen

Hrm, bummer. Still trying to find a workaround to my 32-bit-to-64-bit problem. I thought that maybe by directly downloading a 64-bit ISO I could get it to work, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

Is the problem that you're running 32-bit Windows and you wish to create a bootable installer from the 64-bit ISO? I read that the problem is the tool cannot run the 64-bit bootsect.exe after its extracted it from the ISO.

If this is the case, have you tried Rufus? Because I see posts that state this should work.

silentQ

Keep the 212 evo, get rid of the thermal paste since you get some with the evo. Maybe look at a cheaper psu (xfx/seasonic/evga?)

I'll be able to provide links and generally better help later if no one's covered you by then :)

Yeah if your weary about overclocking which I was at first too, I did it for my i5 3570k got it to about 4.3 GHZ running about 75 degrees C max and it took me about 20 mins or less. It really is just as easy as these guys are saying just follow any tutorial about it.

Here is my build in case that helps:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/silentq15/saved/2kIe

LordAlu

I didn't choose the setup myself, but apparently the Gigabyte case itself has two built in case fans already and the Spire is supposed to be the CPU cooler. That's an interesting advice regarding the HDD. I hadn't thought of that, but will certainly take it into consideration, thanks!

May i ask what you think about the 3rd option i listed, would it make sense to get a slightly lesser/cheaper I5 than the 4670K and invest a bit more in the GPU, or would the 4670K + R9 270 combo be fine?
I'd stick with the 4670k for now, as there would be no need to upgrade that for quite a while, whereas if you went for something lower it's just more money to spend down the line. If you're really bothered, pick up everything except the video card, save for a month and just play indie games on the internal graphics, then buy a nice video card for it.

kiyomi

Is the problem that you're running 32-bit Windows and you wish to create a bootable installer from the 64-bit ISO? I read that the problem is the tool cannot run the 64-bit bootsect.exe after its extracted it from the ISO.

If this is the case, have you tried Rufus? Because I see posts that state this should work.

Yep - the Microsoft installer (on my 32-bit Windows 7 laptop) will apparently just create a 32-bit bootable drive no matter what.

I'm trying to find a way to avoid using the installer and see if I can circumvent it somehow. I haven't tried Rufus or using Diskpart yet.

Should also be noted that I have an iMac and I just found this:

Assuming you have burnt your Windows CD into a ISO file with the tools like:
http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

1. Jump into a folder here http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/files/UNetbootin/
2. Get the latest version of zip archive with the keyword "mac" in the filename.
3. Download and open it up on your Mac OS X desktop.
4. On Unetbootin interface, choose [Diskimage]->[ISO] and then select the Windows ISO file on your local hard drive.
5. Select the right USB Drive and then click [OK] to start writing ISO data onto your USB drive.

Once done, you're ready to boot your computer with this bootable USB drive, like a DVD installation disk.

Wonder if that would work?

I would just find a family member or someone to make a bootable USB drive from Windows for me, but everyone I know is either an iMac or iPad user. :p

pxleyes

Banned
I've got a nice set of 120mm Cougar fans that came in a 4 box set. I bought them with a coupon to cut down on the cost (they were like $30 bucks or so without the coupon), but they're pretty quiet, especially if you get more than an arm's length away.

I agree on the Cougar 120mm fans. I got 4 for my case when newegg had a sale and they are excellent.

Someone here, one of the frequent posters, swears by the Cooler Master JetFlo.

Thanks guys, I'll check them out

mkenyon

Banned
Just woke up from sleeping after 4 day long LAN with 9 pals at my house.

Are there links to all the Watchdogs performance stuff yet? :p

Dunbar

If you aren't overclocking is there really a need for the cpu cooler? Stock fan should work just fine.

I based everything on the builds in the OP, so if I don't need the cooler or I can use a smaller PSU, fine by me. I just didn't want to screw anything up and both were recommended in the area of build I was going for.

Stubo

Kharma has put together a couple of excellent options for you a few posts above, 100% recommend getting a 4670k and taking an hour or so to get the overclock set up. Very much worth it for the permanent performance boost.

Any extra heat or noise concerns are cancelled out by having the Hyper 212 Plus/EVO on there, really incredible value.

Dunbar

If I bought a Z97 motherboard, like the GA-Z97X-UD3H, would I be able to put a Haswell refresh chip like the 4790 in it now, and then swap that chip out and sell it when the Devil's Canyon chips come out later in the year (or next year)?

Randdalf

Here's my situation:

I have a new 128GB SSD (C) with Windows 8.1

I have an old, nearly full 1TB hard drive (F) with all my old files and loads of games on (in the original folder structure)

I have a new, nearly empty 1TB hard drive (G) with virtually nothing on it.

What's the best way to move my games from G to F and then set up a system to move games from F to C (the SSD) as I please? I know some tool like Steam Mover is suggested for the latter part, but is there a good practice method to do this sort of thing?

Hah, called it.

Also 1920x1200 GPU benchies

b7cz6u1tvcdvfcsa7bac.png

I'd stick with the 4670k for now, as there would be no need to upgrade that for quite a while, whereas if you went for something lower it's just more money to spend down the line. If you're really bothered, pick up everything except the video card, save for a month and just play indie games on the internal graphics, then buy a nice video card for it.

Hmm, ok. Thanks for the advice! By the way, the machine isn't for me, it's actually a gift for my nephew's confirmation. :)

Tilian

Banned
Goddamn delay, I'm not waiting until September for the i7-4790K. Before I buy it, I assume the 4770k is still the next best thing right now?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Any advice on a router? I use a Cisco E1200 refurbished one and need another to extend to the other side of the house. Would buying another be OK?

Also, what's the advantage/ability of a USB port on a router? Like the Cisco 2700? Is it effectively NAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom