• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to replace the fans in my Antec P180b case, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the selection on Newegg. The case just takes standard 120mm fans, and I'm looking to replace the 4 I have now. The case does allow for manual fan rpm switching from little ports that allow the switch on the fan to be reached from the outside. I'm not terribly concerned about that feature though. Right now I'm dealing with an aging GTX260 that overheats from time to time (mostly in DIII), and a bunch of old fans thst are louder than they should be and don't push much air. Quieter is definitely better for me, as I work from home, but I definitely want to keep pushing a decent amount of air. Any suggestions on which direction to head?
I've got a nice set of 120mm Cougar fans that came in a 4 box set. I bought them with a coupon to cut down on the cost (they were like $30 bucks or so without the coupon), but they're pretty quiet, especially if you get more than an arm's length away.

zoku88

Hmm, I just added a second monitor to my setup but I notice the second screen is brighter than my first monitor.

The black level isn't the same. They are set at the same brigthness and contrast in the settings menu.

My monitors are also the same model.

Can the difference be because I use VGA for monitor #1 and HDMI for monitor #2?

Did you calibrate them? If you want them to be close to the same, they'd have to be calibrated. Might still not be perfect, though.

elfinke

Anyone here have any experience with the Gelid Icy Vision Universal VGA Cooler? I've made some great improvements to the overall fan/air noise of my PC, so was looking at improving the acoustics of my 6950, which is dreadfully noisy, especially under load (60+ degrees).

I can get one for $60AUD, otherwise it is a bigger jump to ~$110 for either the Arctic Cooling branded fans or even liquid kits, which is too much - I might as well save a little more and buy an all new card at that point.

Smokey

I've heard the fans are noisy, but the performance is superb.

Did you run with the stock Corsair fans, or did you replace them with a different brand?

Stock. They're audible. Fan noise doesn't really bother me (I have headphones on most of the time) so they've been fine for my use. If it's an issue for you, I'd recommend replacing them with something quieter.

jbpaz

I have a single AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB Twin Frozr OC BE card and two monitors that are 1920x1080 each. If I buy another identical monitor for a total of three 1920x1080 monitors and run eyefinity, how well can this card perform?

maneil99

DDR4 not going to be a game changer. Will be quite expensive for atleast a year.
Haswell E - Game changer in the very long term, likely out of your price range as its enthusiast range.
Broadwell - Unlikely game changer, 10-15% improvement on Haswell clock for clock.
nVidia GTX 880 is rumored to sit between GTX 780 and GTX 780Ti, again 8 series is not looking like the step we hoped.
VRAM yes we need more, mainly because it looks like console devs are throwing unoptomised code on PC from consoles that have access to ~5GB VRAM. Witcher 3 wont need more than 3GB VRAM i bet.
Link for 880? Theres no way they would release an X80 thats only 10% faster then previous gen.

Smokey

Link for 880? Theres no way they would release an X80 thats only 10% faster then previous gen.

Yeah no idea where he heard that. I would expect at least 15-20% faster than a 780 Ti for the 880 GTX.

It's based on the precedent set with the 600 series and carried over into 700/Titan. Nvidia will release their "midrange" part and label it their high end i.e. 880. Just like they did with the 680/780. Then they will most likely release their full blown card down the road i.e. 780ti/Titan.

I'm guessing that's why he came up with that 10% figure although I would hope it'd be higher than that..

appaws

Banned
I've got a nice set of 120mm Cougar fans that came in a 4 box set. I bought them with a coupon to cut down on the cost (they were like $30 bucks or so without the coupon), but they're pretty quiet, especially if you get more than an arm's length away.

I agree on the Cougar 120mm fans. I got 4 for my case when newegg had a sale and they are excellent.

Someone here, one of the frequent posters, swears by the Cooler Master JetFlo.

Tablo

The thing is the value won't be so bad if the pricing is correct, if it's 780 Ti level perf with more VRAM and new features for around 500$~ then I'm cool. If it's 10-20% more perf but it's over 600$, that's not cool.

appaws

Banned
Hi guys, i have a "beefy"? pc my specs are:

HD 7770 amd.
i7 2600
8gb ram

My monitor (tv) is 720p so i do most of my gaming at 720p.

Should i get a better graphic card or is this ok for this year/early 2015?

Also what good games are coming to pc this year (im mostly interesed in the witcher 3 next year.)

Maybe a new GPU. Are you planning a new display...? What is your budget?

Stop playing all lesser games and start only playing Paradox games.

How much do ambient temps affect cpu temps? I installed a 3770k, my thermal solution is coollabratory liquid pro and im cooling it with a corsair h100i (still at stock clock speeds, up to 3.9 Ghz with turbo and HT enabled). today is the first real day of summer temps were i live and my apartment is currently in the 80 degree range if i had to guess. Im getting temps in the mid 40s in idle and while playing BF4 my hottest core hit 78C. Im not sure where to start. How long does it take for the TIM to cure? what kind of temps should I be expecting with an H100i. This is my first PC so id appreciate any advice whatsoever. If this sounds normal or if you think i didn't install it properly then let me know what i should do to correct it. Thank you.
Just to give you an idea of how ambient temps affect it:
In winter (19°C) my setup idles at 31 CPU.
In summer (~27°C) it idles at around the 40°C mark (+/-2)

jbpaz

What kind of adapter do I need to use on a video card that has 1 HDMI port, 2 Mini DisplayPorts, and 1 DVI when HDMI and DVI are in use for 2 monitors? I know I need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter for my 3rd monitor, since it only has a VGA, DVI, and an HDMI port, but I'm not sure which one exactly. Does it need to be active? I'm trying to run 5760x1080 on this card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127732

Exuro

I just updated my nvidia drivers to 337.88 and it removed 60hz mode in the screen resolutions so only my 144hz monitor is getting a signal. How can I fix this?

edit: I made a custom resolution in the nvidia control panel. That should be fine right?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Fixed my headphones today. Pretty happy about that.
7ewNDqK.jpg

I also found out why my temps were high.
My room is impossibly dusty and I never see the front of my case, but I was surprised this much built up.

the_id

Hey guys, I just created a battle box pc with gtx780ti sli but for some reason it won't run anything greater than 60fps at 1440p. I've got nvidia precision x running without putting the fps target on.

I got crysis 3 running at a stable 59.9 fps with both cards at 1150mhz and temps of only 60 Celsius.

I feel like I'm not really unlocking the full potential of my rig. I know 60fps is perfect but I didn't spend all that money not to get the full potential out of these cards.

Any help would be appreciated.

My rig:
i7 4770k @3.5 ghz
Evga gtx 780 ti classiefied x2 sli
16gb gddr3 ram
Windows 8.1
500gb ssd

Can anyone help me in trying to get the most out of my rig?

LordAlu

Wow, that's awesome of you. Thanks for taking the time and effort, i greatly appreciate it!

The prices are great too. Unfortunately, while looking for customer impressions on AGT, i found a thread on a well known local tech forum and it seems AGT isn't doing so well lately. They have a lot of unhappy customers who warn others of buying at AGT. From what i gather their delivery times are awful and can take weeks (sometimes months), with endless excuses as to why they haven't received the parts yet. I guess there's a reason why their website doesn't list avaliability. Apparently this has been going on for at least the last few years. As good as your configuration and the price for it look, i don't think i would want to put up with that and i guess i'll have to stick with Comshop, who are pricey, but reputable. At least i can get to their store easily and give them hell if something's wrong, while AGT is a good 2 hour drive away from my location.

By the way, regarding the cooler, forgive the noobish question, but i thought i included one at the bottom of my list (SPIRE SP994S1-V1), or do i need another one?

Another question, let's say that i skip the SSD for now and use the savings for one of these options:

- keep the FX-8320 and get a slightly better graphics card
- get the I5-4670K and keep the current graphics card
- get a slightly lesser/cheaper I5 processor and a better graphics card

Which one of these would be preferrable?
I didn't notice the cooler at the bottom - it looked like just a case fan to me! :D

To be honest I would forgo the large hard drive for now and get the i5 with the SSD instead. You can still install several games on a 120GB SSD. Buy the 1TB drive later and just use Steam mover to move your games across. It's a lot more annoying buying a SSD later as you have to format and reinstall Windows, or clone the drive.

Ok I'm looking to finally get back into PC gaming after a 10 year break. But mostly I really want to eventually get a Oculus Rift dev kit2. The thought of building my own rig feels me with dread, but its the only way to get some VR gaming goodness at the moment. So these are the components I'm looking at:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.96 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($105.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.97 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($282.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1071.10

Any and all advice would be appreciated as I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to building and gaming PC.

My room is impossibly dusty and I never see the front of my case, but I was surprised this much built up.

Welcome to the club.
Never had to clean my rig before, but after moving in my first apartment last year, I have to clean it every 4-5 months.

riflen

Hey guys, I just created a battle box pc with gtx780ti sli but for some reason it won't run anything greater than 60fps at 1440p. I've got nvidia precision x running without putting the fps target on.

I got crysis 3 running at a stable 59.9 fps with both cards at 1150mhz and temps of only 60 Celsius.

I feel like I'm not really unlocking the full potential of my rig. I know 60fps is perfect but I didn't spend all that money not to get the full potential out of these cards.

My rig:
i7 4770k @3.5 ghz
16gb gddr3 ram
Windows 8.1
500gb ssd

It sounds like you have a 60Hz monitor and you're playing with v-sync enabled.

Pachimari

Wait, I just realized I'm using a DVI > VGA cable for monitor #1 and a DVI-I > HDMI for monitor #2.

I tried changing them, and now the monitor #2 is the darker one.

So I guess if I keep using the DVI > VGA on monitor #1 and change to a DVI-I > VGA for monitor #2, then they'll be equally dark?

Unfortunately, I can't find such a cable. =/

Kiyo

Alright so I'm looking to upgrade my CPU for these next wave of games that are starting to take advantage of more threads (Watch Dogs comes to mind). Probably going to do the upgrade in a month or so.

I'm currently on a 2500k. Would an upgrade to a 3770k (which would also let me keep my motherboard) be significant enough? Or should I wait for devil's canyon?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Alright so I'm looking to upgrade my CPU for these next wave of games that are starting to take advantage of more threads (Watch Dogs comes to mind). Probably going to do the upgrade in a month or so.

I'm currently on a 2500k. Would an upgrade to a 3770k (which would also let me keep my motherboard) be significant enough? Or should I wait for devil's canyon?
Wait for DC.
I went 2500K to 3770K and it's not worth it in way of what DC might be.

Also I've yet to see concrete WD benches on CPU-side. It looks like all GPU horsepower and VRAM limits.

My rig:
i7 4770k @3.5 ghz
16gb gddr3 ram
Windows 8.1
500gb ssd

What the hell are you trying to do? You say yourself 60FPS is perfect. You want to run on higher framerates even though your monitor can't handle it and you won't see a difference? Because that is the impression I get and that makes not sense at all to waste more power than needed.

Get a 4K monitor or 144Hz monitor if you want to get the full potential out of these cards. Or do high amounts of downsampling.

Ok I'm looking to finally get back into PC gaming after a 10 year break. But mostly I really want to eventually get a Oculus Rift dev kit2. The thought of building my own rig feels me with dread, but its the only way to get some VR gaming goodness at the moment. So these are the components I'm looking at:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.96 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($105.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.97 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($282.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1071.10

Any and all advice would be appreciated as I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to building and gaming PC.

That Power Supply is overkill, you could spend half as much and have plenty to work with. You can get Windows 8.1 off Reddit Softwareswap for $20 (I did last week). That alone should chop ~$100 off the price. You can then use that money to get an SSD.

Wait for DC.
I went 2500K to 3770K and it's not worth it in way of what DC might be.

Also I've yet to see concrete WD benches on CPU-side. It looks like all GPU horsepower and VRAM limits.

There was just a thread about it, an FX-8350 performed on par with an i3. Gonna assume it uses at most 4 threads in which case an i5 is still fine. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=825913

Kalm

Have you checked your config file for the game?

Find this line: "sys_MaxFps =" and make sure it's set to 0 or just delete it.

EDIT: I just reread your post; did you mean that everything is capped at 60fps? All games?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE

Posted a useful comparison with speeds and threads here:
People are going to gloss over this if there is no image, so here it is:

I don't know what section it was (and I'm not familiar with the website), but this is the test that should be done.
Basically all WD wants is 4 fast cores, and it does utilize extra on top of that.

WzHHaMl.png

After a while of not being able to treat myself to new things, I'm finally able to save up a bit of money every month that I can dedicate to new PC parts. The thing is, I'm clueless as to which parts would be best to upgrade first.

Here's the ~4 year old computer that I currently have:
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E
CPU: Intel i5-760
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 460 (whatever I upgrade to has to have at least 2 DVI and 1 HDMI or mini-HDMI slot)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GB
Power Supply: Corsair 650TX

Assuming I can expense around $250 a month toward new parts, what should I upgrade first? And if possible, to what?

kharma45

After a while of not being able to treat myself to new things, I'm finally able to save up a bit of money every month that I can dedicate to new PC parts. The thing is, I'm clueless as to which parts would be best to upgrade first.

Here's the ~4 year old computer that I currently have:
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E
CPU: Intel i5-760
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 460 (whatever I upgrade to has to have at least 2 DVI and 1 HDMI or mini-HDMI slot)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GB
Power Supply: Corsair 650TX

Assuming I can expense around $250 a month toward new parts, what should I upgrade first? And if possible, to what?

Get a Hyper 212 to overclock that i5 and then spend the rest on a R9 280 or a GTX 760.

Something like this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $249.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 05:40 EDT-0400)

Video guide on OCing using that board and CPU here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFw_BPvaa5o probably loads others out there

kiyomi

Will we actually get a firm release date on DC at Computex or will Intel just keep playing coy? How do actual release dates get announced usually?

I didn't notice the cooler at the bottom - it looked like just a case fan to me! :D

To be honest I would forgo the large hard drive for now and get the i5 with the SSD instead. You can still install several games on a 120GB SSD. Buy the 1TB drive later and just use Steam mover to move your games across. It's a lot more annoying buying a SSD later as you have to format and reinstall Windows, or clone the drive.

I didn't choose the setup myself, but apparently the Gigabyte case itself has two built in case fans already and the Spire is supposed to be the CPU cooler. That's an interesting advice regarding the HDD. I hadn't thought of that, but will certainly take it into consideration, thanks!

May i ask what you think about the 3rd option i listed, would it make sense to get a slightly lesser/cheaper I5 than the 4670K and invest a bit more in the GPU, or would the 4670K + R9 270 combo be fine?

LilJoka

There was a thread here at Gaf. Ill try and find it if i can. Its due to trouble with getting yields on the new node. So they have to stick with current node, meaning less performance jump than expected.

Edit here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799349&highlight=gtx+880

And 28nm node
http://videocardz.com/50301/nvidia-preparing-maxwell-gm204-kepler-gk210-gpus

Rafy

Will we actually get a firm release date on DC at Computex or will Intel just keep playing coy? How do actual release dates get announced usually?

Good news everyone.png

This just came out:

Intel Roadmap Confirms Devil’s Canyon Delay To Q3 2014 – Haswell-E In September, Broadwell in Late Q1 2015

Model Intel Core i7-5960X Intel Core i7-5930K Intel Core i7-5820K Intel Core i7-4960X Platform Haswell-E Haswell-E Haswell-E Ivy Bridge-E Process 22nm 22nm 22nm 22nm Cores/Threads 8/16 6/12 6/12 6/12 Cache 20 MB L3 15 MB L3 15 MB L3 15 MB L3 Core Clock 3.0 GHz 3.5 GHz 3.3 GHz 3.3 GHz Socket LGA 2011-3 LGA 2011-3 LGA 2011-3 LGA 2011 TDP 140W 140W 140W 130W Memory DDR4-2133 MHz DDR4-2133 MHz DDR4-2133 MHz DDR3-1600 MHz Chipset X99 X99 X99 X79

kiyomi

That's what I mean - I saw that last night and I'm wondering if Intel will just show that roadmap slide at Computex or actually announce something more concrete. I'm new to this and I don't know how far in advance actual release dates actually get announced.

I can just hope Q3 means July.

Reminds me of when I was installing my Hyper 212 and found 2+ years worth of dust on the filter of my PSU's intake.

Made a Fry's run this weekend and came home with this:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
Motherboard: MSI Z87I Gaming AC
CPU: Core i5-4590
Graphics Card: MSI GTX750 Ti TF 2GB
Hard Drive: Seagate 1 TB 7200 RPM
PSU: CM Elite V2 550W ATX

I just need to get some RAM (any suggestions?), Windows 7 (can I get on USB or download?) and *maybe a BR drive.

Any feedback on the parts?

So those of us told to wait for Devil's Canyon, should we wait? Although, if the benchmarks do prove to be quite promising I'll upgrade from an i5 in my potential build to that i7-4790K. 4.0GHz sounds like a great stock clock for longevity.

Personally, I still believe they're coming out in June. I don't find the source to the contrary strong enough to believe otherwise. We'll know for sure next week, but I wouldn't bet against it...

kharma45

Those stock clocks? The small difference there (2500/2600K vs 4670/4770K) could be chocked up purely due to the 100 MHz difference. It's amazing just how close Sandy is to Haswell there, let alone the i5s vs i7s.

Yep stock clocks. The difference is a mixture of IPC gains and clock speed. Anyone who bought a 2500K, or even a 750/760, must be loving life still. I know I am since I have both lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom