• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Such a well-known and respected member as you will stand by his word :)

I pledge for the loophole, THE LOOPHOLE!

PS: PM sent with my adress. Germany by the way :p
LOL

Alright. I hope you have a full loop ready!

dCfYNkl.png

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vHHc4D

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vHHc4D
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vHHc4D/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vHHc4D/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($7.81 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $407.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-28 18:05 EDT-0400)

Only looking to replace my processor, my mobo, and my case

I already have a gtx-670, sdd, 8gm ram, psu, etc.

Looking to buy tonight or tomorrow.

Few questions
-Streaming is not a priority, but how stream capable will I be?
-Also not a priority, but how ready am I for overclocking?
-I have a older cooler master 212 plus from my old 1156 board, I'm sure it will fit the new 1150 board, but I'm told that the stock fan on the proc will be okay (if not overclocking), is this true?

Ovek

7Member7
Whilst im here looking at this thread... has anyone stepped the voltage down (say to 7v) on a Corsair AIO?

God these things rattle like they are a 30 year old fridge. :p

mkenyon

Banned
Whilst im here looking at this thread... has anyone stepped the voltage down (say to 7v) on a Corsair AIO?

God these things rattle like they are a 30 year old fridge. :p
Reducing the voltage is what causes that rattle. It needs to be at 100% power to operate properly.
What was the bet exactly? That the i5 would perform just as well as the i7? Isn't that the case with Watchdogs?
Yeah, and it's still up in the air. I'd tend to trust Techspot over GameGPU, as they've had a lot of funky stuff in the past. But, I spose I could do my own testing on a 4770K with hyperthreading disabled.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The same CPU test with HT on and off is the best bench and within 10%.

As much as I'd like to have more fodder to throw around there has not been a lot of good data.

Pachimari

Dear friends, I need some help.

I have my computer connected to my HDTV with a HDMI cable through a Onkyio receiver. But there's no sound, even though I set another source as default:

TOWW4la.png

I don't even know what all the other sources are for. :(

Dear friends, I need some help.

I have my computer connected to my HDTV with a HDMI cable through a Onkyio receiver. But there's no sound, even though I set another source as default:

TOWW4la.png

I don't even know what all the other sources are for. :(
install drivers? Go to device manager, find the thing and right click to update drivers.

LilJoka

Seems like they're having a difficult time making the procs in general. It would be the only reason for such a low clockspeed on the Extreme SKU and having two locked off cores on the bottom two SKUs.

That is, if this rumor is true.

Probably have to get super silicon quality with really low leakage to make these
http://ark.intel.com/products/75283/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2697-v2-30M-Cache-2_70-GHz

So possibly a yield issue, but more likely its just really expensive to make and the market is not big enough.

mkenyon

Banned
Probably have to get super silicon quality with really low leakage to make these
http://ark.intel.com/products/75283/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2697-v2-30M-Cache-2_70-GHz

So possibly a yield issue, but more likely its just really expensive to make and the market is not big enough.
But, all the chips are the same. They don't make 6 core versions. They make all 8 core versions then lock off the extra cores for the ones that don't pass.
I tried that, and there's still no sound coming out of my surround speakers.
Screenshot of all your audio devices? My best guess is you didnt install the NVIDIA HDMI drivers, which is a little selectable option when you install the video card drivers.

Pachimari

But, all the chips are the same. They don't make 6 core versions. They make all 8 core versions then lock off the extra cores for the ones that don't pass.

Screenshot of all your audio devices? My best guess is you didnt install the NVIDIA HDMI drivers, which is a little selectable option when you install the video card drivers.

5fULDo4.png

TOWW4la.png

oneils

Hey there, I'm looking to replace my monitors (my secondary monitor broke) and would love some advice.

I'm thinking of getting two 24 inch monitors with 1080p.

My budget is about 300 bucks per monitor.

Any suggestions? I mostly play video games and watch youtube videos on my monitors. I don't watch movies. I have a TV for that.

I currently have an HP 2509b and a Viewsonic VP201s. The viewsonic is borked. I think I bought it back in 2004 for about 900 bucks. Was state of the art back then.

I'm not really sure what to get. There seems to be two camps:

- 120hz/lightboost TN crowd, or
- IPS 10bit colour crowd.

I think I would be fine with either.

I did some research and think I have settled on two Asus VS24AH-P 24 inch monitors.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236331

They are LED IPS monitors. Settled on them due to value and IQ. I've been using 60hz lcds for so long I don't think I will really mind sticking with them right now.

The only criteria they don't meet is that their resolution is 1900x1200. I don't think that will be a problem for me.

Anyone think I'm making a mistake?

LilJoka

Yeah i know, but, my point was that Intel can quite happily make chips that are using even more cores with what looks like decent yield with some Xeon tax applied, so it probably isnt yield, they just want to make more money. Some competition would help.

Yeah i know, but, my point was that Intel can quite happily make chips that are using even more cores with what looks like decent yield with some Xeon tax applied, so it probably isnt yield, they just want to make more money. Some competition would help.

yes competition definitely would help.

Athreous

My friend just bought this video card, and now his computer restarts/crashes, then it reboots and windows say that the system has recovered from a serious error, and it doesnt matter if he's playing or just idle at desktop...

He formated his PC to install the new card, and this is his specs:

Phenom x6 1090t
12gb ddr3 1333
Asus M4A88T-V EVO
Power Supply Corsair tx850m
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits

What could be causing this error?

Pakkidis

HOLY SHIT!!! I didn't know these graphics card were so damn big. This thing is fucking huge. I had to take bays out my case just to fit the som-bitch in there. :p

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-28%20at%208.43.58%20PM.png

Man, this is learning experience for me. It's been like ten or so years since I last build a computer from scratch.

kennah

thnx 4 serial # :)

Dude.... He has a knife.
Selling a few PC components! Everything is in excellent working condition. I built a new system so I'm cleaning house.

lOSnseO.jpg
$100

0m1rr9v.jpg
. Includes bag with all cables $160.

ntfRPR9.jpg
2x4(8gb total) DDR3 1600 $60

hbnLKUT.jpg
Intel 2600K $180.

For $250 I will throw in an ASROCK P67 extreme 4 motherboard as well as a hyper 212 cooler and Arctic silver.

For $300 I'll throw in a Intel 128GB SSD. I do NOT have the IO shield for the motherboard. If you're local to me(12603) you can even have the HAF case it's all in for free.

Please shoot me any questions you might have!
Good deal in te BsT thread

Guri

Guys, I just installed today a Noctua NH-D14 cooler on my 2600k and overclocked to 4.5 GHz. After 6 hours of stress testing on Prime95, the highest temperature on a core was 78°C. Should I try to lower the voltage (1.3V) or the clock or I'm safe? By the way, it never stayed long on 78°C. I think it just reached that once.

M3z_

Guys, I just installed today a Noctua NH-D14 cooler on my 2600k and overclocked to 4.5 GHz. After 6 hours of stress testing on Prime95, the highest temperature on a core was 78°C. Should I try to lower the voltage (1.3V) or the clock or I'm safe? By the way, it never stayed long on 78°C. I think it just reached that once.

You are good. You can always step your voltage down incrementally until you hit instability for most efficiency, but it is not necessary 1.3 volts is fine.

Calibus

Compatibility question, please:

Building a new system for my dad (non-gamer build). I was thinking of going with one of the two chips:

i5

i3

With the following motherboard:

GA-B85M-D3H

What concerns me is that while the socket types on all three are LGA 1150, the Amazon product description states that neither chip is compatible with Intel motherboards (which the one I linked above is). That does not compute. Why would an Intel chip with the same socket type not be compatible with an Intel mobo? Or am I reading it wrong and am I okay to proceed?

kennah

Compatibility question, please:

Building a new system for my dad (non-gamer build). I was thinking of going with one of the two chips:

i5

i3

With the following motherboard:

GA-B85M-D3H

What concerns me is that while the socket types on all three are LGA 1150, the Amazon product description states that neither chip is compatible with Intel motherboards (which the one I linked above is). That does not compute. Why would an Intel chip with the same socket type not be compatible with an Intel mobo? Or am I reading it wrong and am I okay to proceed?

Something is wrong with the description. You'll be fine.

Guri

You are good. You can always step your voltage down incrementally until you hit instability for most efficiency, but it is not necessary 1.3 volts is fine.

Thanks! Running IntelBurnTest now just to be safe, but I was worried that 78°C could be an unsafe temperature. But it rarely reaches that, right?

Onemic

Give us a price range. Also, when you're paying $160-180 for a CPU you are FAR better off getting an i5 from Intel.

$450 is the max I'm willing to go for everything.

Also I picked the FX series over i5 because based on benchmarks the FX-8350 and 8320 seem to be the next best thing to the i7 series.

Gvaz

Banned
So right now I have an i5 3570k, but I'm SUPER interested in going to haswell-e or whatever the fuckin i7 is of them when they come out.

What kind of price point am i looking at for the 2600k equivalent? And will I need a new mobo?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Very similiar to my current build and I have no complaints. So far I have been running every game without slowdowns.
Doesn't mean there isn't something better.
That's fine. Can probably knock it down to 1.28V
Am I taking a chance by buying a refurbished asus router? I just saw this posted and the discounted price seems to be pretty good deal:

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=291154029717

I've just had enough of comcast's gateway router thingamajig. The thing barely has any range and streams terribly with steam and my shield.
Not sure if you need that thing.

I'd just get an RT-N16 and put Tomato on it.
$450 is the max I'm willing to go for everything.

Also I picked the FX series over i5 because based on benchmarks the FX-8350 and 8320 seem to be the next best thing to the i7 series.
Can you save up more?
Need the upgrade soon?

I'd advise i3 + Z97 and you can swap in an i5/i7 later if you can't save up now.
IDK what benches you are looking at. The low points of the FX are what bring it down.
So right now I have an i5 3570k, but I'm SUPER interested in going to haswell-e or whatever the fuckin i7 is of them when they come out.

What kind of price point am i looking at for the 2600k equivalent? And will I need a new mobo?
Like $320 or $400
Yes

Onemic

Can you save up more?
Need the upgrade soon?

I'd advise i3 + Z97 and you can swap in an i5/i7 later if you can't save up now.
IDK what benches you are looking at. The low points of the FX are what bring it down.

Yup ASAP. Im mainly upgrading so I can develop for Unreal Engine 4. Im a student and thus can't spend more than 450, as I'm already low on money and need to save up extra money for a new laptop as my old one was destroyed. The lowest priced i5 I could get would be the 4430, which I cant seem to find many reviews on and is priced higher than the fx-8320 anyway, pushing it above my max price range.

I was mainly looking at various Guru3D benchmarks like this one

Since the FX 8320/8350 are 8 cores isn't it possible that performance on these two processors will go up once games begin utilizing more cores? Or is that unlikely to ever happen?

NoRéN

Since the FX 8320/8350 are 8 cores isn't it possible that performance on these two processors will go up once games begin utilizing more cores? Or is that unlikely to ever happen?

the last page has some benchmarks for watch dogs which highlighted some interesting stuff regarding cores.

didevol

Hi guys, I haven't upgraded or even followed the PC-side of things for quite a while now. I am kinda confused of how/why parts seem a lot cheaper than the last time I built my rig.

What I am running now(don't laugh).

Intel i7 930((Bloomfield)it manifests dust it's so old)
OC'd to 4.1
asus p6t board
6gb corsair 784 ddr3
Nvidia quadro FX5600(Which sucks balls for gaming) -got it for maya

Looking to upgrade, budget is $2-2.5k

Any suggestions?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yup ASAP. Im mainly upgrading so I can develop for Unreal Engine 4. Im a student and thus can't spend more than 450, as I'm already low on money and need to save up extra money for a new laptop as my old one was destroyed. The lowest priced i5 I could get would be the 4430, which I cant seem to find many reviews on and is priced higher than the fx-8320 anyway, pushing it above my max price range.

I was mainly looking at various Guru3D benchmarks like this one

In regard to benches: The FX-8xxx can hold on against Intel in a good amount of games, but outliers like some RTS, MMO, Source, UE3, etc. the Intel's are nicer. It's less the highs than better lowers.

Unreal 3 devoured dual core speed and not much else. UE4 is supposed to do better in regards to n-threading, but I bet it still loves super fast cores.

As for the future I think everyone hopes more threads are used, but Intel is just sitting on their asses making quad entry far too expensive and barring any 6T/8T part except for the high end.

In your circumstance I'd say go for the FX, but spend a bit more on the motherboard so you can clock it and it won't catch on fire if you decide to OC it in case you do need some extra oomph. (Can't sort through AMD mobo recs. now).

Buy RAM used. It's lifetime based on serial. CPU you can try and buy used as well. GPU you can buy used 280/280X for the same price and if it's from ASUS, GB, or MSI will have a serial based warranty.

We need people making use of more threads :p
Hi guys, I haven't upgraded or even followed the PC-side of things for quite a while now. I am kinda confused of how/why parts seem a lot cheaper than the last time I built my rig.

OC'd to 4.1
asus p6t board
6gb corsair 784 ddr3

Any suggestions?
The only thing to laugh at is your i7 is totally fine still :(
Just give the GPU a big bump and sit tight for news on DC / Broadwell / Haswell-E.

OC'd to 4.1
asus p6t board
6gb corsair 784 ddr3

Any suggestions?

if i were you and i wanted to upgrade as close to now as possible, i'd just get a 6GB 780 Ti (if they ever drop) and a huge SSD and maybe look into upping to 12GB of RAM, because otherwise that build's still pretty damn solid

(unless you're looking to upgrade later this year, in which case follow haz's advice and just wait for haswell-E / DC / broadwell)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom